• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Have to say, my impression of Horizon has taken a curve like this.

1) First few hours, wow this game is amazing!! 10/10

2) After completing the main quest after 30 some hours. Fantastic 10/10

3) Another 20 hours doing side quests errands etc. Ya the meta rating is about right. This game is actually around 8.5 - 9.0

I had this experience with W3. Only i would rate W3 a 7.5-8.0/10 because the terrible combat, boring mainstory from halfway and them sidequests wich ,besides a few good, are chore to play imo. Artistic its amazing but art alone doesnt make it a great game imo.
Horizon got the same problem so far with sidequests (their even more boring in times) but the combat makes it a lot better and for me the Lore in this game is more interesting.
Only thing i miss in this game is something like Gwent. Its always a great addition in a open world game imo.

So far i would rate H:ZD a 9/10 and if i must believe all the reviews the story can rais the score to a 9.5.
I really think this game is way more fun to play then any open world rpgs i've played in the last couple of years.. besides Bloodborne tho. Bloodborne is this gens finest so far.

GReeeeN

Is there any other ways to get a decent bow other than try and RNG different kinds hearts??

I'm lvl 24 doing a lvl 12 story mission and pretty much doing 4 dmg per arrow, going through all my bows all my potions and still dying..... because I cannot for the life of me get heart drop to purchase a new bow. Is there any other way to get purple bows other than trying to get heart drops ?

eizarus

Banned
So last night I finally started being more diverse with my weapons and god damn, it completely changes the combat experience. Previously, I was relying on one bow, trip caster and bomb-shooter thingy. Now I'm running 2 bows (normal/fire and tear/precision), the bomb thrower and switching between ropecaster and tripcaster. So much more fun this way.
I just wish that the weapons wheel wasn't so limited. Let us cycle through weapons with the D-pad when the wheel is up. Really hope they patch it in.

WITHE1982

3) Another 20 hours doing side quests errands etc. Ya the meta rating is about right. This game is actually around 8.5 - 9.0

Isn't that pretty much the same story for every open-world RPG though? If you rush through the main quest and leave all the fluff until after then you'll sour the experience.

The way I'm keeping it fresh is to clear out areas of collectables, camps and corrupted zones only if a story mission takes me near to them. That way you vary what you're doing and aren't just stuck doing mundane tasks at the end.

Not that there's a right or wrong way to play a game. You just complete it whichever way floats your boat.
Just beat the game moments ago. I clocked 15 hours of in game time. Incredibly well done from an art and graphics standpoint. The gameplay did get a little old towards the end but I enjoyed the story for the most part. My biggest gripe with the game is facing human enemies is so boring. The human bosses are pathetic. All the machines are really cool and well thought out though.

Wow! Someones in a rush. I'd just left the opening area after 15 hours. I'm guessing by "beat the game" you mean just did story missions?

That's fast even by HowLongToBeat standards.

Not Drake

I played some more yesterday. Got to the Mother's Crown, grabbed a few side quests and explored a bit. I cleared my first bandit camp. One thing that surprised me is the way AI works. It's not the smartest of all things, but atleast it's not a hivemind. What I mean is, often in open world games alerting an enemy puts the whole area on a level 5 alert instantly. In HZD it leaves some room for error while approaching an area in stealth. I appreciate this.

Can't wait to play it more tonight.

Anyone know where to find Ravagers? I need a piece to purchase one of the bows at Meridian.

Create a job for the bow from the merchant. Or you can buy the Ravager heart from one of the other merchants in the city if you have enough shards to trade to get the heart then the bow.

Wollan

If a game can keep a 10/10 level throughout the 30 hours campaign from start to completion then it would deserve a 10 imo. :)

I.e Doom 2016: MP was terribly boring (5/10) but campaign was super good (9/10) ergo I think it deserves a 9 with it specified in the review-text. Would seem illogical to rate a Doom-without-the-MP a 9 and a Doom-with-the-MP a 7.

Anyways, I'm greatly enjoying my post-campaign Horizon tour right now. Ripping it up with the special armor and doing all the side quests and activities I missed.

aristotle

Is there any other ways to get a decent bow other than try and RNG different kinds hearts??

I'm lvl 24 doing a lvl 12 story mission and pretty much doing 4 dmg per arrow, going through all my bows all my potions and still dying..... because I cannot for the life of me get heart drop to purchase a new bow. Is there any other way to get purple bows other than trying to get heart drops ?

Minor spoiler:
Meridian has a merchant that sells those things, but be warned they're not cheap at all.
They honestly aren't that hard to get. If you buy the bows/weapons in stages instead of going for the purple immediately, it's better that way. Plus each weapon has it's own separate tutorial so you get free XP doing it as well.

Buy weapons green>blue>purple. Don't skip them just because you think they're not good enough. The way the enemies are placed you don't need a purple bow until you effectively actually need it. Buying purple weapons early is just overkill IMO.

Never complete the mainquest until you're 'done' with the game.
IMO it's about finding a good middle way between doing the main quest and the side activities. On my first playthrough I usually stick to the main quest and only do the side missions when I need to level up for the main quest. That usually gives you the best experience. Meaning, when the main quest requires you to have level 34, do side activities until you have that level, then do the main mission --> rinse and repeat. Going OCD and doing everything right of the bat is the perfect way to ruin a game for yourself.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just beat the game moments ago. I clocked 15 hours of in game time. Incredibly well done from an art and graphics standpoint. The gameplay did get a little old towards the end but I enjoyed the story for the most part. My biggest gripe with the game is facing human enemies is so boring. The human bosses are pathetic. All the machines are really cool and well thought out though.

Man, 15hrs seems real low. I don't think I was anywhere near Meridian at the 15 hr mark.

GReeeeN

Minor spoiler:
Meridian has a merchant that sells those things, but be warned they're not cheap at all.
They honestly aren't that hard to get. If you buy the bows/weapons in stages instead of going for the purple immediately, it's better that way. Plus each weapon has it's own separate tutorial so you get free XP doing it as well.

Buy weapons green>blue>purple. Don't skip them just because you think they're not good enough. The way the enemies are placed you don't need a purple bow until you effectively actually need it. Buying purple weapons early is just overkill IMO.

Yeh I've been to all the vendors in meridian, but the bows/ weapons are the same at every vendor in the game, I already have blue bows equipped so buying another one feels useless, especially when the stats are pretty much identical

Except in Horizon's case where the game re-sets to just prior to last-mission (with last-mission XP intact) after the credits. No trophy or quest can be missed.

You've completed the game but you have to return to complete the side-quests. That mindset fatigues, me, playing the game.

vivekTO

Wow, the patch did downgraded a lot of stuff...

gXPGza2.jpg

What a visual masterpiece. I thought I'd be over it by now but I'm as blown away as I was when I first started.

And HDR is kind of insane tech. The lighting from sun rays feels warm somehow; colors glow and pop. I for sure don't know how to describe what I'm seeing to do it justice :[

I'm sure nobody enjoyed every side quest in The Witcher III, in fact I'm convinced that at least 1/4 are as boring or worse than the worst side quest in Horizon. Let's not forget that The Witcher III is like three games put together.
The best side quest in Horizon is nowhere near the best in The Witcher III but it's up there with the good ones.

This game has some funny bugs like when aloy or the robos get hit 50 feet away lol.
Also had a few where characters were running around without body parts .

vypek

kill multiple enemies with the bombs using the sling. blast sling

A little late to respond but I did this with grazing animals that came close to each other. I shot it between them. Took two shots. The blast radius was good enough to get them. And one of the hunting grounds has enemies lumped together pretty close in the herd so I would set a trap to shock them and then lay into the two of them with bombs

WITHE1982

A little late to respond but I did this with grazing animals that came close to each other. I shot it between them. Took two shots. The blast radius was good enough to get them. And one of the hunting grounds has enemies lumped together pretty close in the herd so I would set a trap to shock them and then lay into the two of them with bombs

This is the only tutorial I've yet to finish. 46 hours in and It's been stuck on my to do list for a while. I did try a couple of times but even with the tutorial active it didn't seem to register multi kills.

Will try again tonight as it'll bug me if I don't do it.

Just saw that 12 tripwires one shot Thunderjaw video, that's some Batman preparation.

is it this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS8zZzyzr7s

That's how pretty much every final cauldron fight goes for me. I fill the room with wires and bombs before hitting the switch. I then sit back and watch the carnage.

Exquisik

Man, that sentimental feeling you get when
visiting the house again and talking to Rost's Grave
. The music makes it even sadder.

Does anyone use the Rattler? What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing
say it again y'all

edit: beaten dammit.

It's good for gusts of wind .. but absolutely nothing else in terms of functionality or combat.

You guys are crazy. The rattler destroys human enemies. I stopped stealthing for bandit camps and human enemies because with the rattler, you can clear out a camp in a minute or two.

X-Frame

You guys are crazy. The rattler destroys human enemies. I stopped stealthing for bandit camps and human enemies because with the rattler, you can clear out a camp in a minute or two.

Interesting, I'll give it a try. Even on Very Hard difficulty? I have never even used a Rattler yet, best give it a shot at least.

Interesting, I'll give it a try. Even on Very Hard difficulty? I have never even used a Rattler yet, best give it a shot at least.

Especially on Very Hard (that's what I'm on). It just mows through enemies extremely quickly, even more so if they decide to rush you at the same time because they'll be all in its zone of fire.

A couple of freeze bombs plus the rattler on a group of human enemies will have them dead in a couple of seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom