• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say, my impression of Horizon has taken a curve like this.

1) First few hours, wow this game is amazing!! 10/10

2) After completing the main quest after 30 some hours. Fantastic 10/10

3) Another 20 hours doing side quests errands etc. Ya the meta rating is about right. This game is actually around 8.5 - 9.0

First few hours ~ 5 hrs. Very good graphics, meh and lacking gameplay 6 - 7/10. So far, hope this game sucks me in more. Disliking the climbing in this game as well, clunky and too automatic.

GlamFM

Banned
Kölsch Bloot;231756344 said:
Had the game for almost two weeks and only played 4 hours.

Hope this picks up soon :/

Thought the early hours were awesome. This game probably just isn´t for you.

hydruxo

First few hours ~ 5 hrs. Very good graphics, meh and lacking gameplay 6 - 7/10. So far, hope this game sucks me in more. Disliking the climbing in this game as well, clunky and too automatic.

What do you mean by "lacking gameplay"? The gameplay is one of the best parts of the game. It's extremely fluid and satisfying.

Mount strikes again!

CPM5MXf.gif

vypek

This is the only tutorial I've yet to finish. 46 hours in and It's been stuck on my to do list for a while. I did try a couple of times but even with the tutorial active it didn't seem to register multi kills.

Will try again tonight as it'll bug me if I don't do it.

Its definitely the hardest one because enemies don't get super close all the time. I got two multi-kills naturally and the other I had to go to an area that had a ton of grazers and a few watchers as a hunting ground. And even there it took a little work to actually make it happen. All other tutorials were much easier to me

Is it possible that the game changes difficulty on its own?
I think I started on normal but now I checked and its set to hard.

Maybe when you are over leveled?

Just finsished
Maker's end
last night.

I can see the story is starting to ramp up as you better understand more about what happened. Seems like a cool approach. Excited to play some more tonight.

Also did the first
Erend main story mission
also. Again, liking the plot line there.

I think Erend is one of the better lip sync'd and voice acted characters, and that adds a lot to the believability of the emotions he's feeling related to his main story stuff.

Noticing pop-in a LOT more when I was running this in boost mode on PS4 Pro. Could be just me, but pop-in is something that bothers me more than frame rate drops, and I find it very distracting when it happens, so take that for what it's worth.

Gonna try it without boost mode.

Paganmoon

Noticing pop-in a LOT more when I was running this in boost mode on PS4 Pro. Could be just me, but pop-in is something that bothers me more than frame rate drops, and I find it very distracting when it happens, so take that for what it's worth.

The game is pro-enabled, Boost mode does not (at least should not, unless a bug) affect it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

WHat? The boost mode is only for unpatched PS4 games. Horizon already has pro support.

CHC

3) Another 20 hours doing side quests errands etc. Ya the meta rating is about right. This game is actually around 8.5 - 9.0

That's kinda where I'm at too, except my rating kind of declined / normalized semi-late into the main quest.

Horizon is a really good game. It does everything it set out to do quite well, and is honestly better than (a) I ever expected it to be and (b) than it needed to be in order to simply "work."

That said, it's not like one of the ultimate all time greats or anything. It's a really good open world game which is worth the price of admission, and it does a couple of things that no other game really does. It's also
thunder
jaw-droppingly beautiful and, at times, somewhat emotionally resonant or thought provoking sci-fi. Not going to win any Hugo awards or anything, but again, it's better than it needed to be to get the player from point A to point B.

Dabi

There's almost no impact/progression on most NPCs after their corresponding quests.

Remember that guy lying down besides the river in the first area? Pay him a visit, he'll still be there spewing the same lines.

Ahh. Guess that's what sequels are for.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Brilliant. I really like those little looks Aloy and Rost give each other at different points, and I love that jump-cut.

Yep, only thing missing was "Eye of the Tiger" in the background.

But seriously, one of the best transitions from young-to-mature character in a game.

Telfo

I am 15 or so hours in and am just figuring out things in combat that make it much easier. I didnt realize you had to fill up a meter when using fire, freeze, etc. I would just shoot one fire arrow and think I was good to go until the icon vanished....NOT SO.

also, turns out you can just rapid fire arrows and get pretty good results as opposed to pulling back fully each time.

adamsapple

I loved it. Decided to fight some Sawtooth and nearly got my ass kicked.

Afterwards saw some ravagers in the distance... for the first time in the game I decided to just run for it.

There's a Thunder Jaw between the outpost and Meridian, I sneaked and avoided it like the plague. Now though, Thunder Jaws don't take more than 30 seconds.

As of yet, the toughest fight I've still had was the lv 32 Corrupted zone in mid-north-west of the overmap against 2 corrupted behemoths and that was before I unlocked the Shadow bows and the double/triple notched arrow skills.

Having done just about every side content including getting all the lodge weapons, I'm continuing with story quests which started in Meridian now and as expected they're extremely easy.

There's almost no impact/progression on most NPCs after their corresponding quests.

Remember that guy lying down besides the river in the first area? Pay him a visit, he'll still be there spewing the same lines.

That's not necessarily true. Plenty of quests have post completion dialogue. I've seen it in almost all the I've done so far.

WITHE1982

I loved it. Decided to fight some Sawtooth and nearly got my ass kicked.

Afterwards saw some ravagers in the distance... for the first time in the game I decided to just run for it.

I like the way the game adds challenges but also gives you the means to progress and beat what's in front of you.

I went from:

"oh shit there's 2 scrappers - avoid" to "meh it's only 5 scrappers"

You then go from "oh shit! that sawtooth is a monster" to "there's 3 sawtooth guarding that collectable - time to wreck their shit"

I'm currently on level 47 and have all weapons (including lodge ones) so I'm actively fighting pretty much everything now... unless they're Stormbirds or Rockbreakers.

valkyre

Guys a little help please, I am at the part were
I am supposed to start the mission in Sunfall where i am about to find out what Project Zero Dawn is and Sylens tells me to finish up all erands. I assume this is indeed the point of no return, and i should finish up all side stuff?

A yes/no will really suffice, I dont want any short of details, I am a spoiler freak.

Thanks.

adamsapple

Which armor is that?

It's unlocked via story progression.

Thunderjaw v Thunderjaw is some epic, Jurassic Park shit.

Also, don't stand in the middle of a fight between Thunderjaws.

I wrapped up the hunters lodges, the last one was either using a thunder jaw's canon to take out 2 ravagers or to overwrite it and use it that way.

I attempted to take out the canon and failed miserably. Then, i donned the stealth suit, snuck up, ropecaster'ed and overwrote the jaw and watched it get to work.

nippykindlangur-size_s8jod.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am supposed to start the mission in Sunfall where i am about to find out what Project Zero Dawn is and Sylens tells me to finish up all erands. I assume this is indeed the point of no return, and i should finish up all side stuff?

A yes/no will really suffice, I dont want any short of details, I am a spoiler freak.

Thanks.
it's not the point of no return. i dont know why he says that.

It's unlocked via story progression.

I wrapped up the hunters lodges, the last one was either using a thunder jaw's canon to take out 2 ravagers or to overwrite it and use it that way.

I attempted to take out the canon and failed miserably. Then, i donned the stealth suit, snuck up, ropecaster'ed and overwrote the jaw and watched it get to work.
that is my favorite hunting ground. All three trials are exhilarating. I love the Ravager's guns. Best fucking gun in the game. It shreds everything. Components and body parts go flying around, sparks fly as metal meets metal. It's beautiful. It's pure combat too. They put you in there with all these awesome enemy guns and tell you to go crazy. I was literally standing next to the Thunderjaw and shooting discs at the charging Ravagers with seconds on the clock. Thrilling stuff.

I think one of the most engrossing things about the story is that both me as the player and Aloy are equally kept in the dark about the happenings in this world. Her discoveries feel like your discoveries. It's hard to describe, but I was just recognizing the fact that this little outcast girl was born into this bizarre world of the future and like the player, has to figure out what the heck happened.

I love it.

JJShadow

The increase in difficulty in the Meridian region is fucking real. Yesterday I went from a Sawtooth area to a Stalker area and then I ended up confronting a Stormbird that kicked my ass, and all three were really close to each other

X-Frame

I would love for a New Game+ (free) DLC or update to be announced somehow.

Jack up the difficulty even more such as making the robots more aggressive, higher damage and HP, more robots in the world and more variation in areas, etc.

Thanks.
Its not the point of no return. However it does it to try to get you to do Vanasha's side quest first because it effects the world state.

pixxxelz

Finished the "secrets of the deep earth" quest last night, damn that was some heavy shit, I was not expecting the story in this game to be this good tbh.

Also sylens is a creep..

CHC

The increase in difficulty in the Meridian region is fucking real. Yesterday I went from a Sawtooth area to a Stalker area and then I ended up confronting a Stormbird that kicked my ass, and all three were really close to each other

Yooo the fucking southwest corner of the map is insane. I went over there to climb the Tallneck and was kicked to death by 10,000 squawking, flailing Longlegs. Horrible.

No reviewer played the game for 50 hours before review-score i think.
Not sure what the point is of this post. You thought the game was awesome until you started doing errands that make everything a chore? Yeah, okay..

Falchion

Spent all last night hunting for Shell Walker and Bellowback hearts to buy the best stealth and combat outfits with no luck. The hunt will continue tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom