• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have no choice but wait until very near the end of the game in order to get the
ancient armor
? Makes sense, but is still bothersome.

Also, this game is utterly astonishing technically and frighteningly based in reality from a story standpoint. Absolutely monumental achievement by GG.

It's so overpowered that it would be broken if it could be obtained earlier anyway (however, I think stealth armor+mods is just as overpowered in its own way)

Grazers with Harvester Arrows. Stealth kill the Grazers and before you loot them shoot the canisters off with the Harvester Arrows. You get 6 per canister instead of just 1.

This is also he fastest way to farm shards in the game that I know of. A full stack is worth 200 shards, and you can easily get that in a few minutes. then just restart the trial, and repeat. You could pretty much farm enough up to pay for all the weapons/armor in the game in a short time.

VanWinkle

I was doing some jumping around, testing the mechanic, and I realized that the jumping is honestly easily precise enough for some legitimate platforming. I wish they would have put some in.

kiaaa

This is also he fastest way to farm shards in the game that I know of. A full stack is worth 200 shards, and you can easily get that in a few minutes. then just restart the trial, and repeat. You could pretty much farm enough up to pay for all the weapons/armor in the game in a short time.

Unfortunately there's no reason to ever grind shards. I'm sitting on almost 30k about to finish the game.

Mifune

Mehmber
It just keeps getting better. Trust me. Once I got to around that point I HAD TO know what was going to happen, so I just stopped all the side stuff I was doing to finish the story.

Is that the mission at
Maker's Mark
or after? I just got through exploring the
Faro facility and meeting Lance Reddick.
I see what people mean about info dumps but I loved it. Wished it was an even bigger info dump to be honest.

jdstorm

Banned
A merchant in dry tower are selling those "shadow" weapons. Is it even worth it to buy one?

100%. Get as many as you can afford. Especially if you havent unlocked the Tinker Skill.

Prioritize the Shadowhunter bow, Ropecaster and Tripcaster.

Edit: the Shadow Hunter bow and Shadow War Bow shoot different types of ammo. You will want both eventually. So either is fine to buy.

However if you can only get one and you have to choose get the shadowhunter bow.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Came across my first Thunderjaw... I think I'll wait a while before I try that again. And maybe actually have some healing items on me.

I was running around trying to find a metal flower earlier tonight, and oh there's a Thunderjaw, I guess I can take itohwait, there's two of them. Fuuuu.... I grabbed the flower and hauled ass out of there...

...And then managed to run into a Behemoth, a Thunderjaw and one of those annoying ostrich enemies. Turned and ran without shame.

Lexxism

I'd buy the Shadow Hunter bow ASAP and the other ones you actually use if you have the shards.

Yeah, they give you 3 different ammo types to choose from and in the Ropecaster's case it is the strongest for tying beasties down.

100%. Get as many as you can afford. Especially if you havent unlocked the Tinker Skill.

Prioritize the Shadowhunter bow, Ropecaster and Tripcaster.

Edit: the Shadow Hunter bow and Shadow War Bow shoot different types of ammo. You will want both eventually. So either is fine to buy.

However if you can only get one and you have to choose get the shadowhunter bow.
Damn. I'm really happy that I hold out on using my shards. Will definitely buy those "shadow" weapons". I think I have 1500 shards. Hopefully enough to buy 3-4 weapons on it.

kiaaa

I was running around trying to find a metal flower earlier tonight, and oh there's a Thunderjaw, I guess I can take itohwait, there's two of them. Fuuuu.... I grabbed the flower and hauled ass out of there...

...And then managed to run into a Behemoth, a Thunderjaw and one of those annoying ostrich enemies. Turned and ran without shame.

I think the leash range for machines in this game is nearly perfect. It's not super abuseable (except for Corrupted Zones, didn't feel bad cheesing the two Rockbreakers at all) and it allows them to chase you a good distance without getting too annoying.

DukeBobby

Is that the mission at
Maker's Mark
or after? I just got through exploring the
Faro facility and meeting Lance Reddick.
I see what people mean about info dumps but I loved it. Wished it was an even bigger info dump to be honest.

It's a few missions after that one. If you're looking for an even bigger info dump, you're definitely going to get it.

TsuWave

did you guys
harass dervahl at the end of that "the sun shall fall" mission? it gives you the option to go pester him and he has some hilarious lines

Mifune

Mehmber
It's a few missions after that one. If you're looking for an even bigger info dump, you're definitely going to get it.

This makes me happy. I think what makes the info dumps work for me is Aloy's reactions to them. Her constant
"what the fuck were the Old Ones thinking" pretty much mirrors my own but then a chill goes down my spine when I think of all the automated weaponry in our world today. Seriously, youtube some of that shit - it's terrifying and not too far off from what the game is talking about.

Well done, Guerrilla Games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just found out earlier that the faster shadow bow's new type of arrow is just a stronger type of arrow, thats kind weird, why would you ever use the weak ones, it even uses the same mats to make (just more)

also I still dont have a shadow sling, I have no idea where to get the thing the vendor asks, and it was the first thing I could buy too many hours ago lol

Finished RHO Cauldron...Ravagers ain't even that hard...with planning. Loved the finale of that cauldron. They gave me a Snapmaw and Ravager to deal with and I just booby trapped most of the damn gated area. Fucking Ravager rolled into 2 blast traps before he could even get at me and lost half his health, then it gave chase and then rolled into two more blast traps and got put to the floor and I criticaled him then when it got back up I just lit his ass on fire. Then the Snapmaw...well it has more health, but it wasn't too hard. Sigma Cauldron was harder. Pretty much when you start looking at the weak points and change weapons on the fly you stand a good ass chance of winning. I was going to share my fight here but I don't think my video got uploaded to facebook, tried Youtube, but that shit was just acting weird and wouldn't allow me to sign in on my PS4.
Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/marcus.beasley.75/videos/10155894303757195/?l=5572868459415101408

V1ctIm

Neo Member
It's so overpowered that it would be broken if it could be obtained earlier anyway (however, I think stealth armor+mods is just as overpowered in its own way)
That's what I figured. That's usually the case with these things. When I finally get the last you-know-what I'll be pretty set with high powered offensive and defensive mods anyway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What level are you? I'm level 30 and currently have less than 1000, only green armour and only blue weapons. No idea how people get so much shards.

im level 26 and I never ran out of shards and got the purple weapons and gear /shrug

im doing all the sidequests tho

kiaaa

What level are you? I'm level 30 and currently have less than 1000, only green armour and only blue weapons. No idea how people get so much shards.

A lot of it comes from the collectables/hunter trials, but I also sell any extra stuff because my pouch is constantly filling up. I really wish there had been an infinite resource pouch upgrade.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Dumb question but do Vantage points ever show up on your focus? I haven't found a single one so far.

Mifune

Mehmber
Dumb question but do Vantage points ever show up on your focus? I haven't found a single one so far.

You have to be pretty close for them to show up on Focus. They're actually kinda tricky to find even with a map since the map doesn't always point to their exact location.

Now that i finally saw it in person i think the Storm Bird is my favorite machine

What's everyone Favorite?

I love the hermit crabs (their name escapes me at the moment). Just a really inspired, out of leftfield design. If there's a sequel I hope they incorporate more designs like that, rather than just lots more of 'here's a robo version of a natural predator'.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
did you guys
harass dervahl at the end of that "the sun shall fall" mission? it gives you the option to go pester him and he has some hilarious lines

Sure did. Pestered him until he stopped talking to me.

Anyway, I'm currently at the
grave-hoard mission
. How far into the game/main story am I?

so i was minding my own business blowing up machines and then all of a sudden the game randomly loaded a save from like an hour ago. it was instantaneous - one second i was lobbing a bomb and then the next i was fighting redmaw. i'll upload the film in a second.

One of my 4k shots from playthrough on a Pro:

HorizonZeroDawn_20170306134255.png

I rrrrreally like the photomode.

https://youtu.be/1_yZdbfB3x4

Rich and Jack play Horizon Zero Dawn on the Playstation 4, a game that has a horizon but several dawns... so the name makes very little sense.

Red letter media - previously recorded talking HZD. Watching now. Their name suggestions are terrible.

Rich likes it, it seems. (gets somewhat spoilerific with locations).

They spoil a bit of stuff. SO.. don't watch it til you're past the proving at the very least and hit your first cauldron

um, its a very spoilery review. best for when you're done. But they like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom