• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damage IMO.

Precision bow should be Tear+Handling all the way.

we went through this earlier in the thread (with the questions coming from me). A couple of posters much preferred the faster handling of the hunter bow. And a hardpoint fully tear-modded has a high tear amount. Thats when I started down the path of multiple shadow hunter bows. So I can tear stuff off with hardpoint on bow A, then hit for damage with hardpoint on bow B.

I do often still use the precision bow as I like the area of effect of the tearblast, and the precision bow's range for bandit camps. Hmm...maybe I should get two of those - one damage for bandits, and keep the main one as tear damage for robos..

MaKTaiL

Is the Warbow better at dealing elemental effects than the Shadow Sling?
The Warbow is essential for shooting Freeze/Shock cannisters which the Shadow Sling doesn't do. With the correct mods it activates elemental effect just as fast as the sling IMO.

we went through this earlier in the thread (with the questions coming from me). A couple of posters much preferred the faster handling of the hunter bow. And a hardpoint fully tear-modded has a high tear amount. Thats when I started down the path of multiple shadow hunter bows. So I can tear stuff off with hardpoint on bow A, then hit for damage with hardpoint on bow B.

I do often still use the precision bow as I like the area of effect of the tearblast, and the precision bow's range for bandit camps. Hmm...maybe I should get two of those - one damage for bandits, and keep the main one as tear damage for robos..
If you use two of the same weapon is it a shared ammo pool or two separate pool?

To me, this was the hardest fight in the game.

I never realized the blast sling was so powerful. Do you even use the hunter bow in just normal play or snapshot only?

It is!

source.gif

LiK

I've never used the Rattler and I Platinumed the game.

I basically stuck with Hunter Bow, War Bow, Sling, Ropewire and Tripewire for my entire run. The explosive Tripwire does insane damage.

daveo42

Banned
I'm getting down the the last bits of the game. I finally got the meaning of the title last night and
fuck Helis. I really wanted Aloy to flip him off as she rode out of the Sun Ring. Aside from that, holy exposition Bowman! Based on what I was spoiled on, I thought Aloy was a biomass robot or something, not a clone. I'm still short on answers on what really happened with why parts of Zero Dawn failed, why GAIA is building larger robots (fight Hades maybe but they can't discriminate between good/bad humans?), why Hades is bent on resetting the world now (Apollo failure?), and a few other lingering issues.

One side quest chain and a few quests left in the mainline before wrapping this one up. It's been quite a wild ride. Also character related:
Erend > Avad

I feel like I've dumped like 40 hours into this game so far and have barely uncovered any of the map. I've been methodically going through the eastern portion of the map from the beginning of the game, and haven't even touched the area with the Iron Ring or whatever they call it. I spent like 3 hours exploring the snowy mountains north of that area last night. I got maps for the collectibles now and started systematically going through all the areas I've been before finding everything.

I love this damn game. This was the perfect thing to arrive to make me not want to buy a Switch and Zelda.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Rattler sucks even against humans. I've got the Shadow version loaded with tons of purple mods and it still has trouble taking down lower level human enemies.

I feel like I've dumped like 40 hours into this game so far and have barely uncovered any of the map. I've been methodically going through the eastern portion of the map from the beginning of the game, and haven't even touched the area with the Iron Ring or whatever they call it. I spent like 3 hours exploring the snowy mountains north of that area last night. I got maps for the collectibles now and started systematically going through all the areas I've been before finding everything.

I love this damn game. This was the perfect thing to arrive to make me not want to buy a Switch and Zelda.
u must really take your time ha. ive platinumed and 100% it in a total of 44hours. only thing I dont have is all the audio/data logs but dont think ill be collecting those

The Rattler sucks even against humans. I've got the Shadow version loaded with tons of purple mods and it still has trouble taking down lower level human enemies.
Agree, it's pretty useless even though it seems cool and I like the noise it makes.
Favorite sound effect: Ravager's machine gun cannon sound, sounds like a transformer

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Guess I better start using the Sling. It's probably the weapon I've ignored the most.

Use it with three damage mods once you have frozen the enemy to do maximize DPS.

I have three legendary Freeze mods on my Warbow. It can freeze even the bigger dinobots in like 4-5 shots. Then I pull out the Precision bow and use the Slingshot to maximize the dps.

To me, ropecaster and precision bow should have three handling mods. It's crazy how fast you can fire with three handling mods. I feel you do more DPS that way than by adding three damage mods or tear mods. Precision shots do 2x more damage than hunter bow shots so it really doesnt make sense to use those in any situation. My hunter bow is used exclusively to set things on fire. With three fire mods i can one shot glinthawks and two shot snapmaws to set them on fire and watch them squirm. Sometimes the snapmaws and bellowbacks might aggro but that just means they are about to blow the fuck up lol.

The great thing about the game is that it lets you play the way you want to play. I hate how some mods in Destiny and other loot games not named Diablo are better than others. It restricts your playstyle. Horizon is kinda like Diablo's set bonuses in that if you want to invest just in handling or damage or tear or fire, you can. There is nothing stopping you.

I loved how i completely nullified Stormbird's shock attacks by using shock resist mods and potions. It was doing little to no damage to me.

Radec

Credits rolling..

Man, what an amazing game this is.

Final battle was great, that Hades Deathbringer was a worthy boss. Ny resources almost went depleted. Shit was intense.

u must really take your time ha. ive platinumed and 100% it in a total of 44hours. only thing I dont have is all the audio/data logs but dont think ill be collecting those

Haha, I don't really like using mounts too often and have climbed just about every mountain and surface I feel like I might be able too. A lot of my game time is climbing up mountains and running around off the beaten path.

I try to take out ever herd I encounter for the first time as well, which has been an ordeal at times.

krae_man

I agree the Rattler sucks. The only thing worse is that stupid fireworks gun you pick up from a heavy. Oh cool a heavy weapon! The fuck is it doing and why isn't it hitting squat?

hydruxo

To me, this was the hardest fight in the game.

I never realized the blast sling was so powerful. Do you even use the hunter bow in just normal play or snapshot only?

Blast sling is OP. Stun an enemy then spam sticky bombs and they'll be dead in seconds. Only thing is you'll have to really stock up on Blaze because you burn through it quick.

daveo42

Banned
In the same camp on the Rattler being a garbage weapon. I used it to get the tutorial bits done then put it away. Did the same with the
unmoddable tearblaster gun
you get from the Hunting Lodge. Neat ideas for both I think, but there are way better options over either of these weapons. They only serve to fill up slots in my weapon inventory at this point.

krae_man

The "firework" launcher is awesome. How did you manage to miss with that?

Maybe we are talking about different weapons or it works better against larger enemies. I've only ever got it in bandit camps and it doesn't seems work very well against humans. Probably has a large spray so I keep missing.

In the same camp on the Rattler being a garbage weapon. I used it to get the tutorial bits done then put it away. Did the same with the
unmoddable tearblaster gun
you get from the Hunting Lodge. Neat ideas for both I think, but there are way better options over either of these weapons. They only serve to fill up slots in my weapon inventory at this point.

Tearblaster is a fantastic weapon! although you get it quite late so by that time you're probably to used to your loadout to include it. But I did and was totally worth it, didn't have to use the Sharpshot Bow anymore.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Tearblaster is a fantastic weapon! although you get it quite late so by that time you're probably to used to your loadout to include it. But I did and was totally worth it, didn't have to use the Sharpshot Bow anymore.
I get the Tearblaster out if I've had enough of a Stalker's shit.

I've gotten heavy into overriding and corrupting now, so fun to see the chaos different match ups can cause.

Funny how Sawtooths still seem more dangerous then some of the far larger robots you meet later on. They're fast, hit like a truck and if they miss their leap it takes them far less time to recover and try again.

TsuWave

I think games like destiny have damaged me permanently because i'm just doing the platinum clean up in horizon but i'm grinding it like its destiny despite being pretty much done with the game. can't wait for dlc. i'm going after them very rare triple stat mods to optimize my build as if i'm chasing T12 gear in destiny smh.

also, i can't seem to get a purple "resist melee attacks weave" mod to drop. i've killed countless thunderjaws but i'm yet to see one of those.

i think the sling applies status effects faster but bow is easier to handle and has more range

LiK

Funny how Sawtooths still seem more dangerous then some of the far larger robots you meet later on. They're fast, hit like a truck and if they miss their leap it takes them far less time to recover and try again.

Ravagers are probably the most dangerous, imo. But now I can knock them down and override them so that's fun.

TsuWave

this is true. i struggle more when i'm up against multiple sawtooth, ravagers or stalkers than when i'm up against multiple thunderjaws

daveo42

Banned
Ravagers are probably the most dangerous, imo. But now I can knock them down and override them so that's fun.

I think I only ever run into issues with Rockbreakers and Behemoths since they can suck at range and in close quarters. Ropecaster and freeze a must on both.

Dynomutt

I cannot stop playing this game. Just hunting and combat are addictive and rewarding as well. The feeling of setting up a trap and planning an approach is so much fun. Even the music makes it atmospheric. First game I want to truly Platinum! Whew first time ran into 4 Thundermaws unexpectedly crazy exciting!

Question: I am currently level 25 and just made it to
Copper Deeps
after leaving the
Carja Fort
. Am I hunting too much resulting in a high level or is this normal? My next mission (
Journey to Meridian
) is technically level 12. Should I stop doing side quests?

Also without spoiler
I have found one powerful can I expect to find another soon or is it an endgame type thing?
Thanks in advance! Happy hunting Gaf!

Kill3r7

Nah, they are far too susceptible to fire and rather easy to hack.

Rockbreakers, Thunderjaw, and Stormbirds are more likely to drop purple mods than other machines, yes?

Guaranteed, i believe. And three in the case of TJ. I did a bunch of farming the same TJ before they patched the disc launcher last week and it was three purples every time.

JJShadow

I cannot stop playing this game. Just hunting and combat are addictive and rewarding as well. The feeling of setting up a trap and planning an approach is so much fun. Even the music makes it atmospheric. First game I want to truly Platinum! Whew first time ran into 4 Thundermaws unexpectedly crazy exciting!

Question: I am currently level 25 and just made it to
Copper Deeps
after leaving the
Carja Fort
. Am I hunting too much resulting in a high level or is this normal? My next mission (
Journey to Meridian
) is technically level 12. Should I stop doing side quests?

Also without spoiler
I have found one powerful can I expect to find another soon or is it an endgame type thing?
Thanks in advance! Happy hunting Gaf!

Mission level is a bit broken in this game, so forget about it: you can have a harder time with a level 12 mission than with a level 18, just do whatever stuff you feel like. In general, leveling up in this game does not make a big difference, as the only increase stat you gain is +10 health (and a skill point), so at the end of the day the most determinant point is your skill and how you approach every combat

Rockbreakers, Thunderjaw, and Stormbirds are more likely to drop purple mods than other machines, yes?

From my experience, every Rockbreaker, Thunderjaw and Stormbird drop 2 or 3 purple mods. There is a chance you get them from other machines, but it is not 100% guaranteed

burgerdog

You don't need to create a manual save to see your time played. Just go into the load menu and your auto save will show you the time played.

Guaranteed, i believe. And three in the case of TJ. I did a bunch of farming the same TJ before they patched the disc launcher last week and it was three purples every time.
Oh good. I found the Thunderjaws really simple to take down and I'm playing on Hard. Now that I've got Shadow level gear it should be even easier.

Dynomutt

Mission level is a bit broken in this game, so forget about it: you can have a harder time with a level 12 mission than with a level 18, just do whatever stuff you feel like. In general, leveling up in this game does not make a big difference, as the only increase stat you gain is +10 health (and a skill point), so at the end of the day the most determinant point is your skill and how you approach every combat

From my experience, every Rockbreaker, Thunderjaw and Stormbird drop 2 or 3 purple mods. There is a chance you get them from other machines, but it is not 100% guaranteed

Thank you!

Oh good. I found the Thunderjaws really simple to take down and I'm playing on Hard. Now that I've got Shadow level gear it should be even easier.

Yuppp

tear arrow off the launchers, put in freeze state, pick up launcher, let loose. rinse repeat.

Maybe a bit less so since they patched down the ammo cap, but still very effective.

Just got this yesterday. Graphics and animations are incredible and I enjoy the loot aspect. All enemies seem dangerous too which provides challenge. The story though is shit so far...I just
did the proving mission and literally rolled my eyes the entire time. Annoying and cocky antagonist who eventually becomes your ally? Check. Ambush by a rival tribe nobody can see coming even though it's obvious to me as a player? Check. Aloy getting saved from death at the last second by Roth? Check. Roth dying and Aloy seeking revenge? Check.
It's just a bunch of the same tired cliches.

Just got this yesterday. Graphics and animations are incredible and I enjoy the loot aspect. All enemies seem dangerous too which provides challenge. The story though is shit so far...I just
did the proving mission and literally rolled my eyes the entire time. Annoying and cocky antagonist who eventually becomes your ally? Check. Ambush by a rival tribe nobody can see coming even though it's obvious to me as a player? Check. Aloy getting saved from death at the last second by Roth? Check. Roth dying and Aloy seeking revenge? Check.

By the end of the game, it really, really, really isn't

I have 50 hours played so far and 12 main quests completed. I absolutely love exploring the map and traversing on foot. I have a portion of the map left to uncover on the far West side, but a story mission is there so I'll get to it soon enough. Guerilla has made a game with truly addicting gameplay and I can't wait for the sequel.

Question: Are the weapons given by the lodge the best in the game?

I really hope so. I'll keep giving it a chance.

Where I think the game stumbles a bit, is there's really good stuff in the audio logs and datapads you can read (that are in the main quest areas, you don't really need to go out of your way to look for them), but they're "optional." I almost never engage with that stuff in most games and it would have been a bummer to skip it in this one, because they provide a lot of context and world building.

Understand why you feel the way you do, but that sort of trope-ish stuff takes a back seat as the story progresses to much broader themes that aren't really covered in video games a lot. Some of them a lot more mature too.

It was very well constructed to me though. The whole story isn't about that though, that's just the trigger.

ISee

I have 50 hours played so far and 12 main quests completed. I absolutely love exploring the map and traversing on foot. I have a portion of the map left to uncover on the far West side, but a story mission is there so I'll get to it soon enough. Guerilla has made a game with truly addicting gameplay and I can't wait for the sequel.

Question: Are the weapons given by the lodge the best in the game?

They are the best variant of that weapon type.

Pretty much this. One can go from running from a single Snapmaw to bodying four at the same time, just by knowing how to fight them while having the same gear and health. Planning also helps, I tend to set up a lot of traps and hearing them go off and turning around to see dead shit is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom