• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I think the game stumbles a bit, is there's really good stuff in the audio logs and datapads you can read (that are in the main quest areas, you don't really need to go out of your way to look for them), but they're "optional." I almost never engage with that stuff in most games and it would have been a bummer to skip it in this one, because they provide a lot of context and world building.

Understand why you feel the way you do, but that sort of trope-ish stuff takes a back seat as the story progresses to much broader themes that aren't really covered in video games a lot. Some of them a lot more mature too.

I haven't stumbled across any logs other than at the start of the game when you
fall into that cave with old world technology
. I had a blast listening to those tapes to try to figure out what happened in the
past
so I'm eagerly anticipating more.

Glad to hear this is just the set-up for something larger. Aloy is such a strong lead character that it would be a shame to waste her potential on the same tired video game tropes. I'll keep playing and update my thoughts!

I've never used the Rattler and I Platinumed the game.

I basically stuck with Hunter Bow, War Bow, Sling, Ropewire and Tripewire for my entire run. The explosive Tripwire does insane damage.

I haven't touched the Rattler either.

My setup is basically Hunter Bow, Snapshot Bow, Sling, Ropecaster. I'll sub in the Tripcaster for setting up if I know a big fight is coming/have stealth advantage. And I have the Blast Sling on standby if I need to do heavy damage. But yeah - Tearblast to start to knock off components + Freeze & Hardpoint or Shock + CriticalStab is my usual takedown method now.

Also holy shit at the Quarry - was not expecting that fight at all and it used up my entire set of resources basically.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just got this yesterday. Graphics and animations are incredible and I enjoy the loot aspect. All enemies seem dangerous too which provides challenge. The story though is shit so far...I just
did the proving mission and literally rolled my eyes the entire time. Annoying and cocky antagonist who eventually becomes your ally? Check. Ambush by a rival tribe nobody can see coming even though it's obvious to me as a player? Check. Aloy getting saved from death at the last second by Roth? Check. Roth dying and Aloy seeking revenge? Check.
It's just a bunch of the same tired cliches.

You've just beaten the intro and it could be argued that the next section of the game is still part of the intro. This is all set up for the greater story and the world at large.

They are the best variant of that weapon type.
It's lit. I got all of my suns ready.
Pretty much this. One can go from running from a single Snapmaw to bodying four at the same time, just by knowing how to fight them while having the same gear and health. Planning also helps, I tend to set up a lot of traps and hearing them go off and turning around to see dead shit is hilarious.
Until three snapmaws decide to do their leaping attack at the same time...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Redmaw
was a little bitch. In fact
Thundermaws
in general have been very easy compared to all the hype they had.
Stormbirds
are much harder.

Hell Stalkers are harder tbh

I haven't stumbled across any logs other than at the start of the game when you
fall into that cave with old world technology
. I had a blast listening to those tapes to try to figure out what happened in the
past
so I'm eagerly anticipating more.

Glad to hear this is just the set-up for something larger. Aloy is such a strong lead character that it would be a shame to waste her potential on the same tired video game tropes. I'll keep playing and update my thoughts!

If you "had a blast" with those parts, I think you will definitely like how the story comes around as you find more of those =)

Quick question, somebody accidentally spoiled the game's setting for me. Is it that big of a deal, story wise? I want to know how much I've been spoiled, if it all.

It doesn't feel like that big of a deal (I can't see what bearing it would have on anything, but I'm still really early in the game).

I've had some close exhilarating calls, I think I've gotten better at dealing with those then I did previously. I seem to hate Tramplers though, they just take too long to kill and always attack in herds, plus have a ton of health.

Quick question, somebody accidentally spoiled the game's setting for me. Is it that big of a deal, story wise? I want to know how much I've been spoiled, if it all.

It doesn't feel like that big of a deal (I can't see what bearing it would have on anything, but I'm still really early in the game).

You mean the place the game is based on?

LiK

Nah, you're fine. One collectibles type basically tells you where you are. It's not some major twist or anything.

Nearing the last stretch of the game, what a ride it's been. I have to say this has turned out to be the best sci-fi narrative I've been told in a video game.

Also:
Fuck Ted Faro
. I don't think I've wished harm on a fictional character in my life more than him.

Nah, it's unimportant. I guess it's cool if you live there or know the place or are interested in that sort of stuff but it's not a big deal for the story.
Yeah. Before even finding the data point that gave it away I pegged the game's location based off the geography, as I live in the region. There's only one area on Earth where mountains are adjacent to canyons like these.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nearing the last stretch of the game, what a ride it's been. I have to say this has turned out to be the best sci-fi narrative I've been told in a video game.

Also:
Fuck Ted Faro
. I don't think I've wished harm on a fictional character in my life more than him.

Yes, fuck him.
He's the fault behind nearly every problem in the pre history of the game. He pushed for mechanization of the military, designed a self replicating series of war machines that feed off fucking Biomass without any backdoor, and then he royally fucks up humanities future because he loses it and kills Apollo. I was actually physically angered at him doing such a thing and ruining what could have been a brilliant future for the species.

JJShadow

So do the recommended mission levels matter? I'm playing on normal if that helps. Also, is there a NG+ mode?

Quoting myself from previous page:

Mission level is a bit broken in this game, so forget about it: you can have a harder time with a level 12 mission than with a level 18, just do whatever stuff you feel like. In general, leveling up in this game does not make a big difference, as the only increase stat you gain is +10 health (and a skill point), so at the end of the day the most determinant point is your skill and how you approach every combat

That leap attack is something fierce. I figured there was too much distance between us but nope. It leaped all the way out of the water and comfortably reached me on land and then some. I was like FUUUUUU the first time I fought one lol.

Kin5290

Is the Warbow better at dealing elemental effects than the Shadow Sling?
No, but it's much better at hiting shock/freeze canisters, which instantly shock/freeze the target when detonated.

Also, you can prepare a triple freeze-arrow shot and freeze enemies from much further away.

I haven't used the sling since the first Hunter Trial because the warbow has so much more utility.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Thanks.
So am I supposed to fight that bird at the first encounter or just avoid it for the moment? I'm on my way to Meridian, just leaving the first big area of the game...

There are very few encounters in the game where you are forced to fight stuff so you can return and fight it at your leisure.

Allonym

Yes, fuck him.
He's the fault behind nearly every problem in the pre history of the game. He pushed for mechanization of the military, designed a self replicating series of war machines that feed off fucking Biomass without any backdoor, and then he royally fucks up humanities future because he loses it and kills Apollo. I was actually physically angered at him doing such a thing and ruining what could have been a brilliant future for the species.

Lol, there's always an asshole

Yes, fuck him.
I'm probably about an hour from finishing the game. I had to take a break because of how angry I became at
Ted's last act of bullshittery
. It's completely irrational to get this upset at someone who doesn't exist. For HZD to evoke this level of emotion in me just put it way up there on my GOAT list.

I just want to start by saying this game is awesome.....but holy eff, human enemies and how combat encounters play out with them is just awful. They basically either stand there and nail you with high accuracy bows or heavy weapons or they rush you with clubs. Neither are fun or interesting to fight and it gets super annoying later on when they start becoming arrow-sponges even when you are shooting them in the face.

Ugh...so terrible. With everything else being so fantastic I wonder how this part of the game sneaked by being so shitty.

LiK

Yes, fuck him.

A well written story that actually made us care.

That leap attack is something fierce. I figured there was too much distance between us but nope. It leaped all the way out of the water and comfortably reached me on land and then some. I was like FUUUUUU the first time I fought one lol.
I usually try to constantly be moving while fighting stuff, I also listen for the audio cues and just start spin dashing just in case. This is mainly the case for groups, still get caught out though. I love how no battle is the same.

So I'm enjoying the game, but certain aspects of it are driving me mad.

Why can't I purchase wire in bulk?

Why must I continually hunt for raccoons and other such animals to try and get them to drop their rare friggin skins in order to rid myself of super low ammo capacities? (still don't have a raccoon skin....)

And why did they have to pluck literally the worst part about The Witcher 3 by making us follow tracks on the ground via our Witcher sense... erm, focus mode?

Other than that, great game.

TsuWave

gotta say the wire in bulk thing got to me as well, its a minor annoyance. i hope they patch it.

the hunting animals for items thing is typical rpg grind. i don't think its that bad.

i liked the tracking missions. don't click spoiler if you are not far into the story
i actually wanted]a section where aloy has to do without the focus device for a while, hence why i liked the behemoth fight in the sun ring without the focus. it would be cool to put her to the test without it for an extended amount of time. but i guess its understandable why she uses it so often since she grew up with it

Stat!

I just got the
shield weaver
armor and holy shit I feel OP now.

I got it just before the last mission. Felt super awesome that I had finally given up
any gear related to a tribe
and was doing it for myself. Nobody else.

I wish I could find more of the audio logs that I missed because I had such a fun time learning that backstory.

LMFAO the first time it did it I was stunned at the Olympic gold medalist performance
I usually try to constantly be moving while fighting stuff, I also listen for the audio cues and just start spin dashing just in case. This is mainly the case for groups, still get caught out though. I love how no battle is the same.
For sure, it's just that their attacks, along with other machines, have deceptively long ranges.
Why must I continually hunt for raccoons and other such animals to try and get them to drop their rare friggin skins in order to rid myself of super low ammo capacities? (still don't have a raccoon skin....)

And why did they have to pluck literally the worst part about The Witcher 3 by making us follow tracks on the ground via our Witcher sense... erm, focus mode?

You don't have to activate your focus for those quests. Guerrilla did a good job in making tracks visible to the naked eye. Perhaps you just don't like tracking quests at all?

I totally agree on the skin complaint; that should be a 100% drop logically speaking. It's horrible that the droprate is so low. It's almost trollish.

Horns

So I'm enjoying the game, but certain aspects of it are driving me mad.

Why can't I purchase wire in bulk?

The inability to buy bulk is annoying. I am constantly having to buy wire and the canisters with the X required to craft slingshot ammo. Seems like a future patch could fix it.

LMFAO the first time it did it I was stunned at the Olympic gold medalist performance

For sure, it's just that their attacks, along with other machines, have deceptively long ranges.
True, that's why I don't do heavy weapons in this game, I just like being mobile. I was fighting two Ravagers, kicked their asses so they ran, I go to grab their canon and gave chase shouting "get back here and fight." I caught up with one and got two shotted cause I couldn't dodge cause of the canon. It's just not my play style I guess.

You don't have to activate your focus for those quests. Guerrilla did a good job in making tracks visible to the naked eye. Perhaps you just don't like tracking quests at all?

There were a few quests where I had to follow a blood trail through a forest full of grass. Without focus highlighting the tracks, I probably never would have found the end. I'll have to try and follow a trail without focus the next time to see how feasible it is for me, but so far focus seemed required to at least activate the trail, and then that usually gets broken up and you have to re-highlight it again.

The inability to buy bulk is annoying. I am constantly having to buy wire and the canisters with the X required to craft slingshot ammo. Seems like a future patch could fix it.

I go through sharpshot arrows like they're going out of style. I like that we can buy wood in bulk, but not wire? Aaaaaarg.

0racle

How does the tare mechanic work? This is my guess, correct me if I'm wrong.

It simply breaks off the yellow highlighted armor. It does ZERO damage to health. It's used to eliminate offensive weapons on the machines so they are less of a hazard. After you elimite some/all hazards they will be easier to face ? So that is when you switch to the damage arrows? Should I then be aiming for these spots ?

I have a bow that has explosive tare arrows so I'm curious.

Ferrio

Banned
How does the tare mechanic work? This is my guess, correct me if I'm wrong.

It simply breaks off the yellow highlighted armor. It does ZERO damage to health. It's used to eliminate offensive weapons on the machines so they are less of a hazard. After you elimite some/all hazards they will be easier to face ? So that is when you switch to the damage arrows? Should I then be aiming for these spots ?

I have a bow that has explosive tare arrows so I'm curious.

Read the description of the robots in your notebook. Each part does something different. Mattering on the part it might do damage tearing it off, give you resources, disable their weapon and/or give you their weapon. Sometimes you need to tear off parts to get to vulnerable spots.

Allonym

Tearblast the gun off the Ravager go grab it and kill an entire group in about 30 seconds. Very easy and very satisfying.

I love the Ravager Cannon, easily the best and most satisfying weapon in the game. There's a section in the desert where there's a convoy of 2 watchers and 2 shell walkers. I normally engage the 2 Ravagers nearby and the 3 shell walkers near them and use the 2 Ravager Cannons to obliterate them and the approaching convoy. In a way, now I know why they didn't allow us to uncover and use ancient firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom