• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiba5

So are there any documents/logs explaining
if they ever tried using EMPs or EMP effects from high-altitude nukes on the Faro Swarm? Or why that wouldn't have worked? Or anything? Cuz that on little thing is bugging me but I might have missed an explanation somewhere.

They nuked them and dropped buildings on them, but that only destroyed some of them.

God dammit, it kinda sucks that I can't have 1 on 1 fights easily. I just found a Behemoth and I want to fight it, but he's surrounded by another Behemoth and two or three Longlegs.

They should've really made it so you can fight 1 on 1 easier...

r1chard

So are there any documents/logs explaining
if they ever tried using EMPs or EMP effects from high-altitude nukes on the Faro Swarm? Or why that wouldn't have worked? Or anything? Cuz that on little thing is bugging me but I might have missed an explanation somewhere.
There was one of the military logs - IIRC it was the round-table holographic discussion? - where they mentioned going in with EMPs, yeah, but as someone else pointed out the replication rate and sheer numbers it was a lost cause. The EMP was mentioned as part of the Zero Dawn delaying tactic.

zulux21

God dammit, it kinda sucks that I can't have 1 on 1 fights easily. I just found a Behemoth and I want to fight it, but he's surrounded by another Behemoth and two or three Longlegs.

they did... they actually made it really really easy.

they gave you a 1 point skill that lets you whistle at them and draw them away from everything else o_O

r1chard

Number 1 gripe is that the actor playing
Sylens
is recognisable (
voice initially but then I realised they'd modelled his face also
) - no-one else in the game is (to me anyway). Kinda spoils it a bit.

Yeah, game's that good that that's the only gripe I have :-D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
they did... they actually made it really really easy.

they gave you a 1 point skill that lets you whistle at them and draw them away from everything else o_O
Yup, only the enemy you're directly looking at will heed your lure call. The others will either ignore it or lose interest quickly and not pursue.

zulux21

Yup, only the enemy you're directly looking at will heed your lure call. The others will either ignore it or lose interest quickly and not pursue.

actually it's just the centered one, even if everything is looking at you only one will respond as long as you only push the whistle once.

or at least that was my experience and what the skill itself says.

My reaction after hearing Rost's backstory:

759.gif

GOOCHY

I think the DLC should be partly based in the "past" and Travis Tate should be the protagonist. Some of his lines in the voice logs are hilarious.

ActWan

So I saw a corrupted zone with "level 23" written on it.
Alright, I'm level 25, why not have a go?
Went there and saw a Stalker. Fair enough, hard battle but I can take it...
I deplete his health to a third, when another one comes...Ok, it's hard but I can do this!
killed the first one, took the second one's health to a half when another one comes and bam I'm dead. Tried it a couple more times and died over and over until I just ragequit.

tl;dr wtf do I do against Stalkers??? I first use the Tear arrows to get their range weapons off, and then hardpoint on weak spots...but it doesn't seem to be working that well.
I have the shadow carja sharpshot bow and the shadow carja hunter bow, the carja sling (which I never use) and the carja tripcaster.

zulux21

So I'm supposed to kite them with my whistling until they're isolated enough?

Okay then, haha.

yup. if you want a one on one match it's not that hard to do.
and if you want to make human combat trivial also just whistle them to a bush and sneak attack them :p

the whistle is quite powerful.

I deplete his health to a third, when another one comes...Ok, it's hard but I can do this!
killed the first one, took the second one's health to a half when another one comes and bam I'm dead. Tried it a couple more times and died over and over until I just ragequit.

tl;dr wtf do I do against Stalkers??? I first use the Tear arrows to get their range weapons off, and then hardpoint on weak spots...but it doesn't seem to working that well.
I have the shadow carja sharpshot bow and the shadow carja hunter bow, the carja sling (which I never use) and the carja tripcaster.

corrupted zone...
burn burn burn burn burn.

>.>

as for stalkers in general,
I used a tear arrow to take away their cloak and then rope caster to get them down and then used my crit hit against it (or just bashed it with my stick)

they are smaller so it only takes 2-3 ropes with the stronger ropecaster to get them down for a while.

DPB

tl;dr wtf do I do against Stalkers??? I first use the Tear arrows to get their range weapons off, and then hardpoint on weak spots...but it doesn't seem to be working that well.

They're weak to shock, you'll either need to either hide and rig the area with shock tripwires, or use shock bombs from your sling to stun them. You should buy a blast sling too (which has different ammo to the standard sling), it's the fastest method of doing a lot of damage without needing much accuracy. I stun them and spam blast bombs at them, though fire bombs from the normal sling should work even better against corrupted ones.

I thought slings were useless too, until someone here said that holding R2 increases the distance you can throw.

Footos22

Platinum done. 42 hours. Last trophy was actually finishing the game. Enjoyed every second. Probably my favourite game this gen tied woth bloodborne.

yup. if you want a one on one match it's not that hard to do.
and if you want to make human combat trivial also just whistle them to a bush and sneak attack them :p

the whistle is quite powerful.

Alright, I'll try it out!

Platinum done. 42 hours. Last trophy was actually finishing the game. Enjoyed every second. Probably my favourite game this gen tied woth bloodborne.

Do you look up what to do for the platinum online or can you look up that stuff ingame? Because I guess some trophies are hidden, aren't they?

Same but also made him more of a badass. Made me
hate the Nora more as well

He was such a goddamn badass! I was so pissed off at the Nora, ha. Between his backstory and Aloy's, I'm looking forward to replaying the opening of the game sometime with both in mind.

I think the DLC should be partly based in the "past" and Travis Tate should be the protagonist. Some of his lines in the voice logs are hilarious.

Tate was glorious. Not since the original Bioshock has a game done such a good job with audio logs and bringing characters to life. Horizon's audio logs were a lot more distressing and depressing, though - hilariously, Bioshock's retrospectively feel downright cheery in comparison.

Stalkers become trivial once you've geared up to fight them.

How I've dealt with almost every Stalker I've encountered....
Tear Blast Arrow
to knock off their cloak (center of their body underneath).
Ropecaster
to separate them / pin them down.
2-3 Fire Arrows
to proc Fire Damage and put them in their fire reaction state (the fire dance).
Heavy Melee
(to knock them down) and critical him them when they're down to finish each one off. Helps tremendously if you've upgraded your melee knockdown power.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
62 hours here. Took my sweet ass time going for the platinum which was an easy get :)

My reaction after hearing Rost's backstory:

759.gif

I am reallly hoping for a Rost based DLC pack. The dialogue on his back story was very lengthy and detailed.

And the southerner in me keeps calling him "roast" lol

Shock, I think its about 2 shock bombs and they cant move for awhile. Then simply critical hit or ropecast them down and attack.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Going through my Folder, forgot to show these shots!

Landscape shots:
dcryaG8.jpg

4yB5BDe.jpg

Game Time to finish up everything!:
5vxyeO1.jpg

Midnight Rockbreaker Sexfest!:
9JjqgOc.jpg

High-Ho Strider, Ride Away!:
28gAktC.jpg

So is HZD the most diverse and inclusive game this gen, if not ever? GG deserves some very serious praise in this regard.

Edit: Also wtf, the view count on this thread is insane.

The1Ski

I found a downed behemoth that had clan fighting a shell thing. Killed the easy stuff and looted everything. Got two very rare modifications from the behemoth.

Saved at a campfire then moved on but died shortly later. I respawned at the campfire near the downed behemoth and, to my surprise, the little event had reset. I quickly realized I had a nice little farming location.

Long story short, I have an inventory full of very rare modifications!

That feeling when you just want to override a Charger and be on your way, but then the other 3 charge at you, and then 2 Sawtooths jump into the fight, and then you corrupt them and think you're safe while you make your escape until you're ambushed by a pack of Stalkers

-.-

I just recorded 15 mins of awesome gameplay (setting up traps and killing my second ever Thunderjaw and right after that I set up traps and killed a herd of tramplers, all perfect kills basically.)

Unfortunately it looks like complete ass because I had HDR enabled.

Am I right in thinking that the stealth only works when you are in tall grass? It feels like I can't really use the rest of the environment (walls, trees, ect...) to hide from guys.

Wollan

My only other Platinum is Uncharted 1 which I earned in August 2008 when the game was updated with trophy functionality alongside the PS3 firmware update that introduced it. The journey in earning the Horizon Zero Dawn Platinum was a pure pleasure.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just beat the game. Got to knock down the last couple of those stupid dummies and I believe I have the platinum. Damn fine game. Some little issues here and there and a lot of quality of life things they can improve with a patch if they really wanted to go the extra mile like CDPR did with the Witcher 3. Still it was an engrossing game that devoured my last week and a half to the detriment of most everything else in my life.

Edit: Damn this credit scene is long and its not just scrolling text text. Its been going for minutes and minutes now. Someone spent a lot of time on these!

Edit 2: Special Thanks to Mark Cerny, Secret Ninja lol

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Am I right in thinking that the stealth only works when you are in tall grass? It feels like I can't really use the rest of the environment (walls, trees, ect...) to hide from guys.

You can only hide completely hidden in the grass, but you can use objects to break LOS and sneak around them for stealth attacks so long as they are tall enough.

You can only hide completely hidden in the grass, but you can use objects to break LOS and sneak around them for stealth attacks so long as they are tall enough.

Gotcha. Doesn't always feel that way, but the dino behavior can be so erratic that it's hard to get a read, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm liking the stealth so far though it could stand to be a little tighter.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You eventually can get mods that will also increase your stealth rating so if you stack a few of those you can run right in front of enemies not too far from them and they won't notice you.

Kremzeek

I just recorded 15 mins of awesome gameplay (setting up traps and killing my second ever Thunderjaw and right after that I set up traps and killed a herd of tramplers, all perfect kills basically.)

Unfortunately it looks like complete ass because I had HDR enabled.

yeah that happened to me too - recorded some video then went to view it and i was like "EEWWWWWW".

i wish they would find a way to embed HDR in video, or find a way to make it SDR on the fly :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom