• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtkO

It's the only way to fight a Stormbird

qN3iZyM.gif

Lmao, yea I love it too, I use my ranged weapons the least. Mainly for traps and birds, but that's probably it.

Jake2by4

you know I was kidding around, but if you got the right Plat team on it the melee for horizon 2 could be crazy... but if you had the right plat team on it then no one would want to do ranged :p
Melee could see a huge improvement if they hire someone who know's close range combat and find a way to incorporate the it to the ranged combat

Well I certaintly don't want martial arts against a T-Rex... :/
But I do. :(

My main issue with the melee is how the camera loses it's goddamn mind whenever you are in close quarters with an enemy.

Yep. Its gotta me killed a couple of times.

AtkO

We're going to find out Rico was behind it all in unter sequel

Yea, we'll enter a secret base and we'll see "Fucking Robots" "Fuck this war!" "Oh fuck which day are we today?!" This is so fucked up man!" "FUCK!" written in blood all over the walls.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Played some more after beating to clean up a few things. Decided to seek out all the campfires so I could find all the settlements and do any sidequests I found that way. Knocked out 3 more decent side quests from that. Also cleared out the corrupted zones and the last bandit camp, and hit level 50.

Now I'm done. :D. I don't feel like bothering with the hunting lodge challenges (did the sidequest line that opened after doing a few), knocking over the training dummy or finding the couple of power cells I missed. Data log wise, for the story related ones I only missed one audio, one hologram and one text. Missed a bunch of the world data logs of course.

Final playtime a bit over 53 hours. Loved every bit of it.

Finished up all the sidequests (from what I can gather, there's nothing else on my map anymore) and only have the main quest left to go. Been having a great time with this game and kind of bummed I'll probably be done in the next day or two.

It's amazing how good you get at taking down machines as the game progresses. I used to have a hard time dealing with a couple of longlegs, now I can pretty much destroy anything methodically. Switching between different weapons to take machines down faster is so satisfying.

I completed The M
ountatin That Fell
main quest, and
FUCK TED. I knew after hearing Margo's audio log that it was going to bad, but I wasn't expecting him to be responsible for the destruction of Apollo. I don't know why Hades went extra AWOL yet (I don't think I've missed something? Maybe I did?), but hopefully Ted didn't have anything to do with it. fucccckkkk tedddddd Very clever how Sobek's journals seem to be under repair, and I'm assuming gradually unlock, as only one has popped up thus far. The final audio logs were heartbreaking and fascinating, especially Margo's philosophising.

Because it wasn't enough of a pain getting raccoon skins, now they're becoming resistant to arrows

mACDHEU.jpg

yes, that's a raccoon running with an arrow sticking out of its neck. That wasn't the first time it happened.

I want to complain about the level 20 cauldron with the snap whatever in it and not much else

I have fully filled out the collecfing skill tree so don't really have the power to take this thing out even after laying out a ton of traps etc as there is no stealth, it's fight head-on and run/roll only. It's hard to get time to aim for components. At level 23 I don't think it's easy to do. What am I missing?

ShadyK54

Thought I'd come in here and say how much I'm enjoying this game. It's so so good, loving everything about it.

Had a small question: does anyone else have trouble getting Strider hearts? I've set my sights on a set of armor I want to buy from the merchants, but as soon as I did, I haven't been able to get a heart to drop lol. Is there a good site to try aim for one?

Thought I'd come in here and say how much I'm enjoying this game. It's so so good, loving everything about it.

Had a small question: does anyone else have trouble getting Strider hearts? I've set my sights on a set of armor I want to buy from the merchants, but as soon as I did, I haven't been able to get a heart to drop lol. Is there a good site to try aim for one?
Pray harder to the RNG Gods
or keep hunting at strider sites.Sometimes resource supply boxes give them too

TB14

Finished everything and got the platinum in around 30 hrs.

Enjoyed it a lot . Probably the most fun I've had with an open-world game of its type in quite awhile. Wasn't sure about it at first, but kept my pre-order due to the reviews. Happy to report that Gurrilla really did do an excellent job. As much as I loved KZ2, I can definitely see them being known for Horizon going forward.

Brine

I want to complain about the level 20 cauldron with the snap whatever in it and not much else

I have fully filled out the collecfing skill tree so don't really have the power to take this thing out even after laying out a ton of traps etc as there is no stealth, it's fight head-on and run/roll only. It's hard to get time to aim for components. At level 23 I don't think it's easy to do. What am I missing?

Use tearblaster arrows near their blaze canisters, then use fire arrows on those same canisters so they explode (just like on Grazers). That should take out like half of their health. Then run around using the tripcaster (blast) which does a lot of damage if they run over it. Overall this is just one way, there are a million ways to do it. You gotta figure out the best way for you. Look at the weaknesses.

Soon you'll be able to take on two at the same time easily. You just gotta get better

ActWan

yup. if you want a one on one match it's not that hard to do.
and if you want to make human combat trivial also just whistle them to a bush and sneak attack them :p

the whistle is quite powerful.

corrupted zone...
burn burn burn burn burn.

>.>

as for stalkers in general,
I used a tear arrow to take away their cloak and then rope caster to get them down and then used my crit hit against it (or just bashed it with my stick)

they are smaller so it only takes 2-3 ropes with the stronger ropecaster to get them down for a while.

Stalkers become trivial once you've geared up to fight them.

How I've dealt with almost every Stalker I've encountered....
Tear Blast Arrow
to knock off their cloak (center of their body underneath).
Ropecaster
to separate them / pin them down.
2-3 Fire Arrows
to proc Fire Damage and put them in their fire reaction state (the fire dance).
Heavy Melee
(to knock them down) and critical him them when they're down to finish each one off. Helps tremendously if you've upgraded your melee knockdown power.

Shock, I think its about 2 shock bombs and they cant move for awhile. Then simply critical hit or ropecast them down and attack.

Tear arrows to start with, try and knock some plates/weapons off. Then after 2 or so arrows hit them up with fire arrows until they get knocked into the burn loop. You can basically just spam them with fire arrows if you want. If they get close roll to the side, keep spamming fire arrows.

Worst case scenario creep up close enough to freeze bomb it, then blast bomb it a few times while it's frozen for multiplying damage.

Mods make you OP as fuck once you stack a few purple frost/tear/fire mods on weapons.

If you have the ropecaster, tie one or two of them down while you take out the other.

ropecaster is your friend. knock some plates off, tie em down, do damage. or tie em down so you can deal with one at a time

Other than laying shock traps and tripwire, using shock bolts from a rattler against stalkers seem to work since you build the shocked status pretty fast against them
Thanks all! I'll definitely try some of your tactics today.
This game is so exciting, there are tons of ways to take out every machine...
And I really gotta get the ropecaster it seems.

GavinUK86

Anyone know where to get fox skin? I've killed sooooooo many foxes and just got meat. I want that Shadow Rattler.

Because it wasn't enough of a pain getting raccoon skins, now they're becoming resistant to arrows

mACDHEU.jpg

yes, that's a raccoon running with an arrow sticking out of its neck. That wasn't the first time it happened.

All the wildlife near, and in, towns are unkillable. Maybe that's what's happening here.

B.O.O.M

I honestly love fighting flying beasts in this game. That timing...dat slow mo..dat jumping in the last second to extend the slow mo...feels good man

robotrock

Banned
so...how much do I have left of this game? I'm at (spoilerszzzZ)
just found out exactly who Aloy is, got the speech from GAIA

also i have a main quest from this dude who wants me to track down his sister. should i do that ever or just focus on the main main quest with the story i am interested in

I got the platinum last week, and I'm still playing it every night! My brother wants to borrow it, so I think it's time to stop for awhile. I need to start Breath of The Wild anyways.

What a fantastic game :) I'll likely come back to it if a NG+ is added, or if there are any other substantial updates.

Gradly

also i have a main quest from this dude who wants me to track down his sister. should i do that ever or just focus on the main main quest with the story i am interested in

You mean
Eren?
I suggest you start it before the other main quest to finish this part of the story, it's just like
3 quests and it's over

All the wildlife near, and in, towns are unkillable. Maybe that's what's happening here.

thanks, but this was pretty far away from anything.

So far I've seen arrows go in raccoons and do zero damage three times, and several more times it's seemed like my arrows phase right through them.

A single raccoon skin is all I need for my very last pouch upgrade, and I've trying to get one for days. I've been getting tons of bones, though! ...

The Vantage point lore is achingly sad ��

Love how depressing this game is sometimes lol

I just read through all of them. I got some serious feels right now.

Putty

Over 100hrs now...All collectables nabbed...12 main missions done...all bandit camps rek'd, all corrupted zones cleansed with air freshner...about 65% complete now...

This game...THIS.FOOKING.GAME

GlamFM

Banned
Over 100hrs now...All collectables nabbed...12 main missions done...all bandit camps rek'd, all corrupted zones cleansed with air freshner...about 65% complete now...

Holy cow - how?

Finished after 43 hrs.

Damn you are taking your time. My platinum time was a tick over 36 hours. I still have a few side missions to do and I have a few missing data logs. Will probably jump back in just to take in the scenery some more.

AlexIIDX

So are the other Cauldrons as big as the first one? I don't know if there's a specific order but i just did the Cauldron with the
Thunder Jaw
and I walked in and immediately got to the core. Was there a lot more of it that I skipped?

Razgreez

Purposefully agro-ing sawtooths, ravagers, longlegs etc., gaining some distance on them, allowing them to charge at you, subsequently hitting their joint/leg mid-charge and watching as their weight transfers forward and they lose balance and tumble face first into the dirt... silly robo

There are few things as satisfying.

So are the other Cauldrons as big as the first one? I don't know if there's a specific order but i just did the Cauldron with the
Thunder Jaw
and I walked in and immediately got to the core. Was there a lot more of it that I skipped?

Nope, that one's quite brief

Paganmoon

I need more wires, keep running out lately. Also inventory is a mess, 100/100, and not sure what to sell off, the lenses are only ever really needed when buying your gear right, so as soon as I've got the gear I want with specific lenses, I can just sell them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom