• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Gotcha. Doesn't always feel that way, but the dino behavior can be so erratic that it's hard to get a read, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm liking the stealth so far though it could stand to be a little tighter.

When their alert status is only the yellow ! over their heads they will just investigate where they heard you or spotted you last and walk that way, whistling will normally lure them to where you want them to go. A red ! and you either need to run or fight.

So I saw a corrupted zone with "level 23" written on it.
Alright, I'm level 25, why not have a go?
Went there and saw a Stalker. Fair enough, hard battle but I can take it...
I deplete his health to a third, when another one comes...Ok, it's hard but I can do this!
killed the first one, took the second one's health to a half when another one comes and bam I'm dead. Tried it a couple more times and died over and over until I just ragequit.

tl;dr wtf do I do against Stalkers??? I first use the Tear arrows to get their range weapons off, and then hardpoint on weak spots...but it doesn't seem to be working that well.
I have the shadow carja sharpshot bow and the shadow carja hunter bow, the carja sling (which I never use) and the carja tripcaster.

Tear arrows to start with, try and knock some plates/weapons off. Then after 2 or so arrows hit them up with fire arrows until they get knocked into the burn loop. You can basically just spam them with fire arrows if you want. If they get close roll to the side, keep spamming fire arrows.

Worst case scenario creep up close enough to freeze bomb it, then blast bomb it a few times while it's frozen for multiplying damage.

Mods make you OP as fuck once you stack a few purple frost/tear/fire mods on weapons.

Chance

So is HZD the most diverse and inclusive game this gen, if not ever? GG deserves some very serious praise in this rregard

I concur.

It's phenomenal at it. It's a profoundly feminist game without, in the least, being a game about feminism. It doesn't pander, it's not preachy. It's just a story that takes place in a world where all races are unremarkably present, where non-cis relationships are not uncommon, and thus elicit no comment.

It's not... utopian about it. Their world has xenophobia and wars and lots wrong with it. Aloy comes from a Matriarchal society, but was raised by a man, and cares nothing for their laws or politics - the concept that anything could be considered beyond her due to her gender doesn't even exist to her... until she leaves the Sacred Lands and meets folks from other cultures that are prepared to remark upon her sex as some sort of implied handicap, at which point she looks at them like they're fucking crazy.

And that's not even taking into account (ENDGAME SPOILERS)
the fact that Aloy herself is a sci-fi genderbent Jesus, identical but separate from the God of her world - a brilliant scientist named Elisabet

It's not awkward or ham-handed or confrontational about it - it just is. Its inclusivity is executed beautifully.

shiba5

I concur.

It's phenomenal at it. It's a profoundly feminist game without, in the least, being a game about feminism. It doesn't pander, it's not preachy. It's just a story that takes place in a world where all races are unremarkably present, where non-cis relationships are not uncommon, and thus elicit no comment.

It's not... utopian about it. Their world has xenophobia and wars and lots wrong with it. Aloy comes from a Matriarchal society, but was raised by a man, and cares nothing for their laws or politics - the concept that anything could be considered beyond her due to her gender doesn't even exist to her... until she leaves the Sacred Lands and meets folks from other cultures that are prepared to remark upon her sex as some sort of implied handicap, at which point she looks at them like they're fucking crazy.

the fact that Aloy herself is a sci-fi genderbent Jesus, identical but separate from the God of her world - a brilliant scientist named Elisabet

It's not awkward or ham-handed or confrontational about it - it just is. Its inclusivity is executed beautifully.

I haven't found any NPCs with duplicate faces either. I can't think of another game that created so many different races and each character be unique.
It's a far cry (hur hur) from Far Cry 3 where all the islanders were the same two male character models duplicated over and over.

shiba5

I deplete his health to a third, when another one comes...Ok, it's hard but I can do this!
killed the first one, took the second one's health to a half when another one comes and bam I'm dead. Tried it a couple more times and died over and over until I just ragequit.

tl;dr wtf do I do against Stalkers??? I first use the Tear arrows to get their range weapons off, and then hardpoint on weak spots...but it doesn't seem to be working that well.
I have the shadow carja sharpshot bow and the shadow carja hunter bow, the carja sling (which I never use) and the carja tripcaster.

If you have the ropecaster, tie one or two of them down while you take out the other.

I concur.

I mostly agree, but I think it does get a little preachy at times with some of Aloy's remarks. I suppose that's because we're experiencing the world through her perspective and I'd have a different reaction from her; nevertheless, it's in those times that I would prefer the dialog wheel to show up.

Huh, Cauldron Zeta was pretty straightforward. I was expecting it to go out with a bang.

I concur.

Yes. That's an eloquent way of putting it. Guerrilla created a fantastic world that just seems so natural. And I love that each culture is vastly different from the other and view the idiosyncrasies of the tribes in a unique manner.

TsuWave

ropecaster is your friend. knock some plates off, tie em down, do damage. or tie em down so you can deal with one at a time

Allforce

Is there a defined list anywhere of what resources can be junked/sold safely? I've got so many things that say "Used to trade with Merchants" that I'm afraid to get rid of thinking they might be crucial to buying some insane piece of gear later on.

As for progress so maybe someone can tell me if I can safely get rid of this stuff, I am not that far into the game (I'm guessing):

Just got to
Meridian
, I own a Shadow Hunter Bow and a Shadow Sharpshooter Bow. Done one
Cauldron
mission. Have not owned a War Bow yet which I'm guessing I need all this Fire Kiln Root and Ice Root stuff for that I have acquired from scavenging but have never used

Other than laying shock traps and tripwire, using shock bolts from a rattler against stalkers seem to work since you build the shocked status pretty fast against them

Kin5290

forgot one

arrow-dangers-road-trailer-feat-image.png
That's a minor character in a television show with two, maybe 3 appearances over 5 seasons. Also, she's not a terribly popular character. And she's a villain.

Nice try though.

I really like Aloy. One thing that I really like about her: you know that moment in the first reboot Tomb Raider's when Lara finds a grenade launcher and bellows "I'm coming for you bastards!"? At long last, Lara displays an emotion other than fear and also shows that she is completely confident in her ability to hand these villains their asses.

Aloy is like that from the quarter mark of the game onwards. And everybody else in the world recognizes it.

Is there a defined list anywhere of what resources can be junked/sold safely? I've got so many things that say "Used to trade with Merchants" that I'm afraid to get rid of thinking they might be crucial to buying some insane piece of gear later on.

As for progress so maybe someone can tell me if I can safely get rid of this stuff, I am not that far into the game (I'm guessing):

Just got to
Meridian
Cauldron
mission. Have not owned a War Bow yet which I'm guessing I need all this Fire Kiln Root and Ice Root stuff for that I have acquired from scavenging but have never used
I never sold anything that said 'used for crafting', only sometimes when I had a lot of it. Also theres a merchant in Meridian that sells machine parts so youll be g2g when you want to buy all of best outfits and weapons later on in the game.
So if it says 'trading with merchants' or 'selling for shards' you should be safe to sell it

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Just got to
Meridian
Cauldron
If you just got there it's safe to dump extra lenses, hearts, and any overabundant material you're not using frequently. There's a vendor in that town you just reached that sells overpriced lenses and hearts if you need one and don't want to farm for them. They're pretty common drops though so it doesn't take too long to get one once you start filing out bot locations in your map.

Those plants you mentioned are used to create resistance potions from the crafting menu. Forget if you have to do anything to unlock them, but craft what you can and dump the rest of the mats cause those plants are everywhere and you only need a few to make the potions.

One thing I would hold on to till youre almost done with the game and have most upgrades is the animal drops such as bones and skins. It's a pain in the butt looking for those smaller animals and getting lucky with a drop so hold on to them cause almost all the upgrades require an animal drop. I'd dump the meat though and just buy health potions from the vendors.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I can only recall ever is Ng traps when I needed to get rid of bloody treasure chests full of them. Outside of that situation I never bothered to set them up, far quicker to just throw some blast arrows and shoot like a machine gun.

Like has been said, Horizon is a great game with flaws. I've still got lots to do and the main story to actually complete as it feels like I'm only halfway desire exploring a lot.

I would have liked the mount riding to be as good as Witcher 3, it always felt like it never truly followed the path, and in some cases actually never bothered to despite starting on a road. Line traps also felt useless, after the original introduction I very quickly switched them out for a longbow as I felt that was far more useful in combat.

If I wanted to give a score, at the moment it's a solid 8/10. Incredible game and I've submitted 40+ hours into it and only just needing to leave Meridian for the main quest. Insanely good.

Radec

Just went to
Rost's grave

And the things she said while roaming it..

That was.. sad man.

I wished they made a behind the scenes footage like in Uncharted 2.

Radec

Am i the only one here who loves to melee the machines?

Once you upgrade the brave skills, Aloy hits like a truck! Almost any machines barring huge ones will get knocked out in 1 hard melee.

zulux21

Twitch Plays HZD - Spear only, let's do this.

it sadly can't be done.

there are a couple points in the game that you have to kill all enemies and at least one of the enemies is high up and can't be reached so you have to shoot them :(

though I think it might be possible to spear only against robots.

Zackat

Might sound like a dumb question but how do you remove components off machines? And can you use these components for anything?

Hit the same component with your normal hunting arrows enough times and it will pop off. Alternatively, there are bows that have tear arrows that will take components off in a hurry. Tear arrows are the "purple" arrows, like frost is blue, fire red, etc.

You can go into your machine journal and look at what each piece is weak to to get an idea of what to shoot them with after you have scanned them with your focus.

Krakin

Anyone else just sits at the title screen just to listen to that damn theme song? Good Lord, I love it. I put it in the same company as the TLOU theme.

Hit the same component with your normal hunting arrows enough times and it will pop off. Alternatively, there are bows that have tear arrows that will take components off in a hurry. Tear arrows are the "purple" arrows, like frost is blue, fire red, etc.

You can go into your machine journal and look at what each piece is weak to to get an idea of what to shoot them with after you have scanned them with your focus.
Ohhhhh, that makes sense now, thanks.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
What exactly are the best circumstances to use each of the different bow types? Been running the standard hunter bow for 13 hours now. Forgot all about the other types.

What exactly are the best circumstances to use each of the different bow types? Been running the standard hunter bow for 13 hours now. Forgot all about the other types.
Study the animals enough and what they're weak to and you'll be switching it up in no time. I think my standard load out are the three bow types and a tripcaster. And I'll make adjustments either on the fly or based on enemy type. Maining the Hunter Arrows is playing the game wrong in a way.

zulux21

Finished the game. Hope they continue to do more games in the Horizon universe. I adore Alloy as main character.

the sequel is going to be about Yola, (obviously made up stuff but implies actual spoilers lol)
Aloy and Nil's berserk rager daughter.

full melee combat as she just rushes into combat screaming and ripping things apart all to get the thrill of the kill.

Jake2by4

the sequel is going to be about Yola, (obviously made up stuff but implies actual spoilers lol)
Aloy and Nil's berserk rager daughter.

full melee combat as she just rushes into combat screaming and ripping things apart all to get the thrill of the kill.

Guerrilla X Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom