• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo, guys.

Just nabbed myself a "very rare" +44% Tear modification from a Bellowback in a Cauldron.

I'm guessing this is pretty legit? Do I want to save it for the Shadow Sharpshot? I'm currently only rocking the Carja Sharpshot.

Cheers!

That's about as high as Tear mods go, in my experience.

You could just get the Tinker skill and use it now! I went straight for that one at the very beginning of the game because I knew it would be invaluable.

KZObsessed

Completed in just under 70 hours. Platinum 100%.

What a game. Great ending. This game gets quite emotional during a few moments. Really well written and performed, lots of great touches. Loved it. And that soundtrack.

The only thing I really want to see in a sequel is a better loot/reward system with more interesting things to craft. Being able to craft certain tools and armour from certain machine parts. Just buying the majority of stuff and exchanging a certain part is pretty lame. Especially as all the merchants are practically identical. They really need to expand that aspect of the game.

More unique loot. More super bosses. More interesting things to craft. etc. but this is going to be a great franchise. They really nailed it.

Now what do I do?

Mathieran

Banned
Finally decided to make some progress working on the main quest. I originally got to Meridian and stopped to work on side stuff. On my way to
grave hoard
now. Good stuff so far. Really enjoyed the quest line with
Erend
. He is a great character, him and Aloy are cute together.

Game says I'm at 75% completion but I feel like the story quests are just getting going.

Finally decided to make some progress working on the main quest. I originally got to Meridian and stopped to work on side stuff. On my way to
grave hoard
now. Good stuff so far. Really enjoyed the quest line with
Erend
. He is a great character, him and Aloy are cute together.

Game says I'm at 75% completion but I feel like the story quests are just getting going.

Grave Hoard is the real kick in the guts.

Finished it yesterday with the platinum, and I really have to say, although the game wasn't perfect by any means, I can't think of any other game I have ever played I saw so much potential in.

All the different things they can improve upon while still delivering a great first attempt are the reason I am already hyped for Horizon 2.

Yo, guys.

Just nabbed myself a "very rare" +44% Tear modification from a Bellowback in a Cauldron.

I'm guessing this is pretty legit? Do I want to save it for the Shadow Sharpshot? I'm currently only rocking the Carja Sharpshot.

Cheers!
Do yourself a favor and get the Master Tinker skill.

Venture

Another weekend, another solid Horizon gameplay!

Some random tidbits:

• Finally found two raccoon skins in the stalker-infested jungle. After 10 raccoon bones with harvest arrows I exclaimed 'Fuck this' and proceeded to melee the poor creature. There it was: a blue drop which wasn't an animal talisman.
  • I thought one Rockbreaker was hard. But two? If I didn't manage to dismantle their digging claws in the first 2 minutes, the fight was already pretty much over.
  • Playing this game in Very Hard is almost Souls-esque, since aim assist is disabled and a leap attack spent 3/4 of the health bar. It doesn't matter if she's level 46, wearing heavy armour with 2x purple mods and armed to the teeth, miss the dodge timing one too many times, Aloy will wake up near a bonfire.
  • There was a vantage point overlooking Meridian (or what it was look like in the old world), I thought it was really impressive engineering feat to built a city in that location.
Was it the two in that corrupted zone? I was a total coward. Ran across them and initially was like "Nuh-uh. not touching that right now." Then I noticed they were fighting other machines in the area and one was already severely damaged. So I waited for that to end and then slowly picked them apart from across the river. Running for cover every time they spit rocks at me.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Overriding Stormbirds and watching them absolutely destroy every other machine is 👌

66 hours in and I never stopped having fun experimenting with the combat.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Yes the combat is really good in this game.
Best I've played an open world game by far.

I adored The Witcher 3, but I tended to dread getting into fights, and even on the hardest difficulty I became ludicrously overpowered about halfway through.

In Horizon, I fought nearly everything I came across because it felt so good and the AI kept things unpredictable, and if I got cocky I could still get wiped, even at level 50 with the best gear.

It's an entirely different game, of course, but it feels most familiar to Halo in the sense that I would play those games again and again purely on the strength of its combat and unpredictable AI.

Mathieran

Banned
Please patch in more slots for inventory, so sick of managing it.

Yep. I have 80 slots used up just with ammo materials. Or just let everything stack up much higher.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to override Thunderjaw stealthily? I haven't gotten a prompt yet and they keep stepping on me and putting me into combat. I just unlocked the override this morning. Storm birds are gonna be even more tough I imagine.

firelogic

Wow. I have over 90h+ on this game and it's the first time I've seen this animation. GG are God Tier Devs. It's all in the little details.

Funnily enough I saw it for the first time yesterday at around the 70hr mark. I was just hanging like that and decided to see if she had an idle animation and sure enough, that happened. She does it with her other arm if you leave her like that.

Also, there was an animation I only saw twice in the entire game. It's when she's hanging off a ledge/metal bar thing where she can't get up on and she needs to jump a far distance to another hand-hold. She swings here body side to side and performs the "jump." Amazing that I only saw it used twice.

That's about as high as Tear mods go, in my experience.

You could just get the Tinker skill and use it now! I went straight for that one at the very beginning of the game because I knew it would be invaluable.

I have a 50% Tear mod. It doesn't have any other attributes on it though.

abd

Was it the two in that corrupted zone? I was a total coward. Ran across them and initially was like "Nuh-uh. not touching that right now." Then I noticed they were fighting other machines in the area and one was already severely damaged. So I waited for that to end and then slowly picked them apart from across the river. Running for cover every time they spit rocks at me.

I did that one earlier tonight. After about two minutes of dodging and thinking proximity mines aren't doing much, I see two yellow caution lights to the East and I can see one is I Longlegs. After some more time I realize it was just me and only one Rockbreaker fighting. When I finally clear the zone I go looking to loot the second Rockbreaker when I find out it fought both a Longlegs and Behemoth, with somehow all three killing each other.

Please patch in more slots for inventory, so sick of managing it.

Do you switch weapons as much as I do?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yo, guys.

Cheers!

Personally I'd save it for a hunter bow to use with hardpoint arrows as they can fire more rapidly than the sharp shot bows. By the end of the game I had three shadow hunter bows - one modded for fire, one for damage with hardpoint, one modded for tear for hardpoint. I used an older carja sharp shot with tear mods for the tearblast arrows but even without mods those things do a good job

KZObsessed

And Guerrilla Games/Sony, take your time with the sequel. Dont do what you did with killzone, make an awesome game (KZ2) and then rush the sequel.

danowat

Banned
Took down my first Thunderjaw, that was an intense experience, especially with two ravagers backing it up!.

I sorta cheesed it buy being on a raised platform, can't imagine how hard it would be going toe to toe on level ground!

And Guerrilla Games/Sony, take your time with the sequel. Dont do what you did with killzone, make an awesome game (KZ2) and then rush the sequel.

I watched an interview to Mathijs where he says that with the tools they have they can make quests in half a day, so the journalist tells him "so sequels might fly by, right?" Mathijs laughes and says "of course".

Granted Mathijs, I take your word, you have two years. I expect an equaly polished sequel. B)

Personally I'd save it for a hunter bow to use with hardpoint arrows as they can fire more rapidly than the sharp shot bows. By the end of the game I had three shadow hunter bows - one modded for fire, one for damage with hardpoint, one modded for tear for hardpoint. I used an older carja sharp shot with tear mods for the tearblast arrows but even without mods those things do a good job

oh my god I wish I had done that.

thenexus6

Beat the game..29.5 hours on normal (about 15) then easy (15) finished at level 37.

Very interesting game... I wasn't consumed by the hype for this game, but I did think it looked great. I have quite mixed feeling on it. I was excited, saw all the E3 and game conference stuff and it looked great. It's just a solid third person action game. Definitely could be the start of something new. But i'm not like madly in love or like it's the best thing ever.

- The game is gorgeous, the landscapes, lighting, design of the robots, settlements are all awesome. The occasional bug out or lip sync thing stands out alot more than normal because of how great it looks most of the time, however this was very rare. Super kudos to GG for the achievement here.

- Interesting story once it gets going, I quite enjoyed it. I really didn't enjoy the dialogue most the time, it was super video gamey at times and MY GOD Aloy speaking to herself during the entire game really got on my nerves - its so unnecessary and over the top. There were times when Aloy would be pointless talking to herself, an audio diary playing and Slyens talking to me.

- Gameplay is okay, I got frustrated with the climbing most of the time and I often missed arrow shots which I feel were spot on but whatever. I love however that you can pretty much Skyrim up any mountain which is great for taking short cuts. I disliked the fact if you are spotted every single enemy in the area automatically knows your location and you just get overwhelmed. 

- Focus. Why does every game need a "detective" cheat mode?? Okay, well I *kinda* get it here, as it links with the story like ancient tech but man, almost every game. Feels cheap.

Over the last four months I played Arkham Knight, Watch Dogs 2, Mad Max and playing open world games is weird. I always lose interest the more I play, every game is full of icons and collectibles and its too much for me. I play the story, a few side missions that interest me. I missed alot of stuff in Horizon but I think I am okay with that. The problem with side missions in this game is they are basically the same thing over and over...

Get side mission. "Investigate area". Open your focus and scan objects, Aloy pointless talks to herself "hmm a barrel, looks used...", continue scanning.. follow trail.... encounter NPC, enemy etc. Mission complete. Literally 90% of the side missions is just this over and over again. Became a real bore.

So yeah, the game is fine. I am happy its over and done with. I do not regret buying or playing it, but yeah probably won't be in my top 10 of the year. I would probably rate it 7/10.

I just hope they keep the same team and maybe even hire some more people to make H2 a freaking masterpiece.
HZD is so good but like someone ITT said - it has so much more potential.
The story can really go anywhere and that's what so interesting, I can't wait to see what they come up with - as long as its smart, well thought out, and told similar to HZD - making me not want to stop playing and find out what happens next. (hopefully its the same writer)
They do need to introduce a lot of things to gameplay to expand upon it - like 1 thing lets say - have there be more melee weapons to choose. There's so many things they can introduce - can't wait to see what they come up with

So I just finished W
omb
of the M
ountain
and I have a question. Don't spoil anything after please.

Hades was only activated right before Gaia made Aloy, yes? Otherwise Zero Dawn was going according to plan except for the problem with Apollo? I am a bit confused by the timeline of events here.

Just got done with the proving. Jesus, that was intense. My wife has been watching me play and she was just as out of breath as I was after that. Guerrilla, you magnificent people!

Also, the
Sawtooth encounter
was incredible. Well set-up and a nice challenge. Those dudes can really move.

Lastly for now
Corruptors can go die in a fire.
Thnx.

KZObsessed

I watched an interview to Mathijs where he says that with the tools they have they can make quests in half a day, so the journalist tells him "so sequels might fly by, right?" Mathijs laughes and says "of course".

Granted Mathijs, I take your word, you have two years. I expect an equaly polished sequel. B)

Holiday 2019 would be perfect. Just under 3 years is a decent amount of time for a sequel.

I hope the expansion will make it out this year, but at the same time I'd rather it be something big rather than just a DLC pack. So hopefully they take their time with that too. This game will keep selling for a while yet.

Drek

Yep. I have 80 slots used up just with ammo materials. Or just let everything stack up much higher.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to override Thunderjaw stealthily? I haven't gotten a prompt yet and they keep stepping on me and putting me into combat. I just unlocked the override this morning. Storm birds are gonna be even more tough I imagine.

I eventually set a personal limit of 4 full stacks of each ammo material each, found that it was by no means a problem restocking as I refilled ammo, and my shards skyrocketed from selling all the ammo. Metalburn is the only exception since you only get it form pickups and corrupted machines.

And you can override Thunderjaws, you've just got to get damn close without getting stepped on, it's a bit of a challenge and unless you've gotten both control duration upgrades does not last very long at all.

Stormbirds are most easily overridden with tie down ropes to get them prone, just like Glinthawks, though hit detection of the ropes sucks on both fliers.

Silvard

So I just finished W
omb
of the M
ountain
and I have a question. Don't spoil anything after please.

Hades was only activated right before Gaia made Aloy, yes? Otherwise Zero Dawn was going according to plan except for the problem with Apollo? I am a bit confused by the timeline of events here.

Yup. Outside of
Apollo
everything was going according to plan up to that point.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yo for the all allies trophy..

I already finished the game and only got 1 more side quest to finish. If I went back to the main quest that rolled back the trophy will pop up? Or should I finish it first?

You get that trophy as soon as you have all the requirements done for it.

Auctopus

Playing through (Mid-late quest)
deep secrets of the earth

it's an absolute lore-dump. I really think they should've got some of this information out of the way earlier. I'm enjoying the background stories but the flow of the game has reached a crawl.

Jetman

- Gameplay is okay, I got frustrated with the climbing most of the time and I often missed arrow shots which I feel were spot on but whatever.

Honestly, I think the game is programmed for Aloy to occasionally miss shots in the heat of battle. Two separate times yesterday (while I was in focus even), I'd see my arrow shots go wide right of where my reticle was aiming. Annoying as fuck, but I guess I understand it. At least one of those times I was shooting at a decent distance, so maybe could be attributed to wind or something?

spannicus

Honestly, I think the game is programmed for Aloy to occasionally miss shots in the heat of battle. Two separate times yesterday (while I was in focus even), I'd see my arrow shots go wide right of where my reticle was aiming. Annoying as fuck, but I guess I understand it. At least one of those times I was shooting at a decent distance, so maybe could be attributed to wind or something?
Yep same happened to me many times.

mejin

Are you sure that you drew back the bow 100%? I've only had issues with arrows going off target if I didn't draw it back all the way.

I missed some but it was my fault. target was far away and I should have used precision arrows, not the normal ones.

bombshell

Yep same happened to me many times.

Were they fully prepared shots? Because bow shots can be very inaccurate if you shoot quick. There's a circle that starts big and gets smaller the longer you hold, I think the arrow has a chance to fire in any direction within the circle, so full accuracy is only when you hold it until the circle is same size as the reticle.

Tomeru

Review from http://www.gamerspack.com/2017/03/09/horizon-zero-dawn-review-rage-against-the-machine/

Other than a few nitpicks, Horizon is an awesome game. Awesome and breathtakingly beautiful. To tell the truth, I wasn’t expecting to like Horizon Zero Dawn as much as I do. The setting seemed simple enough at first, but Horizon turned out to be so much more than fighting robot dinosaurs. That’s right – killing robot dinosaurs isn’t even the best part of Horizon. The expertly crafted story, world and combat are all wrapped in cutting-edge graphics and inspiring visual design. Horizon Zero Dawn really takes advantage of everything this console generation has to offer, and delivers an amazing experience. It is truly the dawn of a brand new IP that has the potential to redefine open-world games for years to come.

4/5

Kind of silly how you can't upgrade the spear at all.

I really enjoyed early game using the spear in combo with ranged attacks, but it gets progressively more useless outside of critical hits.

Weird decision to not allow actual upgrading outside of that one point.

Was the bow fully pulled back? Shots will go wide if it isn't. In my experience fully drawn arrows always hit their mark.

Jetman

Are you sure that you drew back the bow 100%? I've only had issues with arrows going off target if I didn't draw it back all the way.

Were they fully prepared shots? Because bow shots can be very inaccurate if you shoot quick. There's a circle that starts big and gets smaller the longer you hold, I think the arrow has a chance to fire in any direction within the circle, so full accuracy is only when you hold it until the circle is same size as the reticle.

Yep, all of the weird misses were fully drawn bow shots. Of the two I remember that veered far off point of the reticle, one was a precision arrow shot against a Longnecks' chest area (hadn't been hit by its screaming or anything either) and the other was a standard fire arrow against the power cells located on top of a Snapjaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom