• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing through (Mid-late quest)
deep secrets of the earth

it's an absolute lore-dump. I really think they should've got some of this information out of the way earlier. I'm enjoying the background stories but the flow of the game has reached a crawl.

Yea, the execution of the story needs improvement for a sequel. There is a lot of stuff to go through but I think it would've been better done with alternative methods.

Maybe do flashbacks with other playable characters and the like.

BradleyUK

Fighting the Fire bellowback reminds me a bit of Starship trooper black bug. I am fighting one right now in the Cauldron and it is so hard to beat.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kind of silly how you can't upgrade the spear at all.

I really enjoyed early game using the spear in combo with ranged attacks, but it gets progressively more useless outside of critical hits.

Weird decision to not allow actual upgrading outside of that one point.

Later on you can get buffs via skill points. And there is a skill for increased chance to knock over with an R2 attack which I've found useful in the later part of the game, even if it's just to buy me time when I'm fighting multiple enemies,

bombshell

Rosts' back story can make for some excelent dlc imo.

It would surely be interesting, but we
already know the whole outcome of it, so it's not as intriguing like it would be if we didn't hear the story from the matriarch

I'm sure the expansion will be Aloy. I could see something with
traveling to the Forbidden West that is referenced in several data logs, but of course it's hard to know if that is reserved for the sequel.

emrober5

Just finished the game at about 38 hours and 70%.

What a ride...Will definitely go back and platinum. I can't wait to see what they have in store for the expansion.

Congrats to Guerilla. They are at the top of their game right now, right up there with Naughty Dog.

bombshell

Hmm, seems as if I finished the game without knowing there was a heavy attack with R2. :p

image.php

lol ;)

I did appreciate that the melee system, while not the greatest, was extremely lenient with it's animation cancels into the critical hit on a downed enemy.

Being able to heavy attack a downed enemy and cancel it into a critical hit was extremely satisfying.

Hmm, seems as if I finished the game without knowing there was a heavy attack with R2. :p
I did the same lmao. I thought that tapping R1 was quick attack, and holding R1 was heavy attack. Only after I started to do the grazer's dummy challenge is when I found out that R2 is actually heavy attack. Missed the quick tutorial they had at the beginning of the game somehow.
It only took me around 40-some hours to find out - but hey it is what it is -_-

Been playing pretty much all day! I'm truly hooked now. Just finished the grave hoard quest. One thing that is bothering me is having to pick up all the data. It's cool to see the backstory but honestly I'm not making much sense of it. I'd like them to keep them but try tell more of the story during gameplay/cutscenes and not listening to/reading stuff.

Anyway, I've become way more stronger now! Unlocked the ability to swap out mods so stuck a load of purples and some blues. Upgraded my weapons to purples too. Just need a purple ropecaster. Upgraded my outfits too!

Can't wait to play again tomorrow. I'm just about 30 hours in now. Feels like a long way to go yet. Still lots of side quests and points on the map to visit. I think I've got 1 more cauldron left though. Not sure exactly how far I have left in the main story.

Falchion

Just played the side mission at the quarry near Meridian,
I was totally expecting a murder mystery side quest but then I got down there and the rock machine I hadn't seen before comes barreling out of the ground at me.
Was a ton of fun.

Just played the side mission at the quarry near Meridian,
I was totally expecting a murder mystery side quest but then I got down there and the rock machine I hadn't seen before comes barreling out of the ground at me.
Was a ton of fun.

Oh god I died so many times at that. I just couldn't avoid it or do much damage. Leaving that until later.

Fbh

I'm REALLY liking this game a lot.

But... am I missing something regarding weapon upgrades? I kinda feel a bit underpowered all the time. I'm like LV 22 but was doing some lv12 sidequest which took me to a bandit stronghold and they were kicking my ass. It took like 3 headshots with a regual arrow to kill anyone

Finished the game yesterday and loved it. Only thing I didnt complete were the hunting trials, the weapon tutorials, and I still need to find 2 power cells. If I have any complaint about the game it would revolve around facial animations. I understand the limitations with the scope if the game and the achievement of such a large , spectacular world. For some reason though it seemed like the facial animations got more stiff as the game progressed. Minor quibble for a fantastic game though. Great acting, great story, great combat.

But... am I missing something regarding weapon upgrades? I kinda feel a bit underpowered all the time. I'm like LV 22 but was doing some lv12 sidequest which took me to a bandit stronghold and they were kicking my ass. It took like 3 headshots with a regual arrow to kill anyone

The normal arrows are weak. I started firing 2 at a time. Now i've upgraded my bow I can use more powerful ones (hardpoints) and fire 2 of them at a time. I'm currently lvl 31. I'd say there is definitely a difficulty spike. I was struggling for quite a bit but the last few hours it has been easier.

As others have said, levels are kind of misleading in this game and don't really mean all that much. Also, which arrows are you using? Depending on the type of enemies you're fighting, the standard hunter arrows you start out with become weak rather quick. Hardpoint arrows have reliably OHK'ed most bandits with a headshot outside of the heavy bandits.

As others have said, levels are kind of misleading in this game and don't really mean all that much. Also, which arrows are you using? Depending on the type of enemies you're fighting, the standard hunter arrows you start out with become weak rather quick. Hardpoint arrows have reliably OHK'ed most bandits with a headshot outside of the heavy bandits.
Anything with a skull symbol after I tag him gets three simultaneous precision arrows to the face. I think it's like 390 damage or some shit. It's instant over kill, but I don't have to deal with his shit afterwards.

aristotle

Anything with a skull symbol after I tag him gets three simultaneous precision arrows to the face. I think it's like 390 damage or some shit. It's instant over kill, but I don't have to deal with his shit afterwards.

Fire from the sling beats everything. I don't know why more people don't use it. Let them hear you coming. Fire bomb them from a safe distance and they walk right through it killing themselves. It's pretty awesome, fun, and fast.

SerTapTap

I found the AOE from the slings too piddly to use against human targets unless they were super bunched up. I just use stealth headshots.

Combat is almost entirely skill and strategy, gear only affects which strategies are available to you in most cases (higher rank weapons almost only have more ammo types with a couple exceptions).

For example some enemies feel WAY too hard to beat until you start using fire arrows to erupt Blaze canisters, freezing enemies weak to freeze then hitting them with sharpshot arrows in their weakspots to deal >300 damage per hit, breaking off components to disable attacks etc. There's usually at least a few effective and fun ways to take down anything giving you trouble.

Human combat however is different. Use the Sharpshot arrows (the slower heavier bow) and it should one hit kill almost anything in one head shot. Humans in general are not very fun to fight and you just kinda have to deal with it. I find stealth to be the most fun way to take them down because their AI is kinda embarrassing when they're alerted.

BigDug13

Do you have a bow with fire arrows yet? Humans burn really easily.

I always stealth-cheese human fights because I hate it. I used to just headshot with precision arrows for OHK but a hunter bow with pure fire mods takes care of most humans.

Fire from the sling beats everything. I don't know why more people don't use it. Let them hear you coming. Fire bomb them from a safe distance and they walk right through it killing themselves. It's pretty awesome, fun, and fast.
Lol I should try this. The AI for humans is so stupid that I just try not to alert them. I just stealth them. Vanasha's first part of the her quest was annoying me last night.

SeanR1221

Started playing again after being sucked into Zelda.

What's safe to sell? I'm super low on money.

Is it just me or do headshots with a regular arrow not fully kill bandits 🤔🤔

Started playing again after being sucked into Zelda.

What's safe to sell? I'm super low on money.

Is it just me or do headshots with a regular arrow not fully kill bandits 🤔🤔
Anything that says "sell/trade to merchants" is specifically for selling.

I use the precision arrows in the Sharpshoot Bow. OHKO at the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom