• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
DLC/Expansion pack is pretty much confirmed. E3 is gonna be very interesting.
Saw that too! Hope it comes out by the end of this year or early next year. I am really excited about the future of this IP and happy that Guerilla have made a really successful game and franchise now. Decima engine is beast!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
After finishing Nier Automata, I am back into Horizon.
Level 42, 45 hours playtime,and i just arrived at Meridian in the story, lol. That's not that far into the story, right?
Just finished the last hunting trial and got every blazing sun.

Anyone else playing like this? Finishing all the side missions and mostly ignoring the story for now?

That's how I always play, curse this OCD.

Neonep

Just platinum'ed it. Such a fantastic game. Now I'll take a bit of a break from games (until the beginning of April) and then I'll start either Nier: Automata or Breath of The Wild.

Josh378

Just beat the game and platinum it. This game is a rollercoster ride. I'm going to take a. Couple of weeks off before I jump on Zelda breath of the Wild. This game was just too much for me. It's my first time ever Platinum a game. Thank you gorilla for such a amazing game.

ST2K

So I just started this game tonight. I've been in black out on the game because I was playing other stuff until now. Currently doing stuff after I killed the first robo-sabertooth.

Just wondering: is Aloy supposed to be kind of unlikeable in the beginning? 'Cause she's totally coming off like that to me. I'm wondering if this is something that'll setup for her to be softened later or if I should just get used to it.

Stealth is definitely OP vs. humans. I think it's pretty fair against machines though considering how powerful they are. Could be wrong but it might be tied to the difficulty level. I just switched from Hard to Very Hard and it seems like stealth is noticeably less effective.

Yeah, after I switched to Very Hard and turned off awareness indicators stealth felt a bit less broken. I still got away with a lot of shit I shouldn't have, though.

If I ever play this game again I'll probably forbid myself from using Silent Hunter as an added challenge. It really is pretty OP.

EDIT: Also, stealth's brokenness is exacerbated by the fact that the human AI in this game is generally pretty poor. It's one of the things I really hope they improve in the sequel.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Normally I'm fine with exposition dumps but this is a bit much. I like that they aren't holding back explanations for this stuff but an entire section where you're bombarded by audio and text logs isn't good for the pacing of the game.

Prior to this section I didn't mind much since you can just go on exploring while audio plays. But you literally have to sit there and let them finish because walking into a new area triggers a cutscene or dialog that you can't hear or there are multiple logs.

Bah.

carlsojo

Yeah, after I switched to Very Hard and turned off awareness indicators stealth felt a bit less broken. I still got away with a lot of shit I shouldn't have, though.

If I ever play this game again I'll probably forbid myself from using Silent Hunter as an added challenge. It really is pretty OP.

EDIT: Also, stealth's brokenness is exacerbated by the fact that the human AI in this game is generally pretty poor. It's one of the things I really hope they improve in the sequel.

While I enjoyed human encounters, I agree they could use the most improvement. Next game or even the expansion I hope some of them mount up and we can get some epic mounted combat encounters going.

While I enjoyed human encounters, I agree they could use the most improvement. Next game or even the expansion I hope some of them mount up and we can get some epic mounted combat encounters going.

My hope/dream is that GG incorporates some of the tech and ideas that Kojima is planning to implement with Death Stranding. A Horizon sequel with human encounters as strong as MGS5's could truly be one of greatest games of our time.

wapplew

Normally I'm fine with exposition dumps but this is a bit much. I like that they aren't holding back explanations for this stuff but an entire section where you're bombarded by audio and text logs isn't good for the pacing of the game.

Prior to this section I didn't mind much since you can just go on exploring while audio plays. But you literally have to sit there and let them finish because walking into a new area triggers a cutscene or dialog that you can't hear or there are multiple logs.

Bah.

One of the my problem with Horizon story pacing. But the writing is good so I don't mind.

ActWan

The Corruptors are definitely the worst machines...barely any parts to take off and the fight becomes a typical bullet sponge slog halfway through. Putting them as the only machine with just human enemies around in some fights is a really baffling decision too, as it's whole concept is to corrupt other machines.
Can't wait to see what a
Deathbringer
is though!

The
Corruptors
are definitely the worst machines...barely any parts to take off and the fight becomes a typical bullet sponge slog halfway through.
Can't wait to see what a
Deathbringer
is!

Use fire damage to overheat them and shoot the cooling element that pops out. They go down real fast that way.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I just want to double check something; there's a ruin near a certain cinematic, yet I can't access it? Locked behind later game advancements or some super secret entry?

fritzo

Just finished the game. Damn that was great. Story, game play, side quests, all great. I don't know what they have planned for DLC but I'm ready for it. And fortunate for me I missed a few quests and get to keep playing. I'm so close to the platinum I can taste it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What if one is not really into those open world type games? Will this still be fun?

I think you can treat it like a linear uncharted style game if you want. Focus on the main quest, you'll get a clear waypoint indicator showing where to go, you'll get encounters along the way.

Only caveat is that approach might leave you a little light on resources or skill points if you aren't exploring, but I think you'd be fine.

j0hnnix

Just finished it after coming back from being sick.. Finished in under 30hrs last kill got me to level 31.. The game was great with some personal game play annoyance that had me talking to the tv too much. I do hope GG continue/broaden the story, it was fantastic and touching at the end. Gg GG. Plus the game looked fantastic.

bombshell

Time for bed but had a great day. Knocked out 2 more cauldrons (2 more to go), got the last few shadow weapons I needed and all pouch upgrades done except the last rattler one (damn goose skin, lol). Knocked out all the misc. errands in my log and enjoyed some more of the story as well as explored a lot more spots on the map I hadn't been to yet. Ended the night at level 44 at about 45 hrs gameplay time and currently sitting at the
Looming Shadow" story mission
. Also got my last power cell and the ancient armor, which is god like :)

Tomorrow, will probably knock out all of the sidequests in my log and finish off the story and then begin clearing out the map and other misc. things I haven't done yet (hunting grounds, etc.)

This game just won't let me out of it's grip. So good.

Finding geese is easy, quoting myself from earlier in the thread.

Finding a goose skin will be the fucking death of me!

Nah bro, just ready up your climbing gear. Guaranteed spawn place for 8 geese in the Nora Embrace up ahead. ;D

DT5DBIx.jpg

re90tN5.jpg

Ferr986

Finished it, after 50 hours!
Gotta say the final boss was kinda shit, kind of usual with western games, but the ending was fantastic.

Amazing game!

Finished the main after about 40 hours. Now Ashly Burch is in two of my all-time favorite games. XD

Post-credits... Yeah...
Sylens is like a descendant of Ted: he'll fuck up once, and then he'll go and fuck up again without learning a fucking thing.

Gimme some of dat story DLC.Then let's
recover APOLLO
in the sequel.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I looked into every single menu and did not find an option, but I thought maybe I overlooked something...is there a way to turn down/shut off the motion blur? I can't play the game for long this way..I feel dizzy and my stomach is going crazy.

It's the first game I've had this problem with since Uncharted 4 ._."

Finished the main after about 40 hours. Now Ashly Burch is in two of my all-time favorite games. XD

She's really fantastic. I'm sure she's gonna be getting all kinds of work after this. She's got pretty good range, too. Even Aloy and Chloe, while being similar performances, sound sufficiently different that it never felt to me like Chloe's voice was coming out of Aloy's mouth.

SCB3

She's really fantastic. I'm sure she's gonna be getting all kinds of work after this. She's got pretty good range, too. Even Aloy and Chloe, while being similar performances, sound sufficiently different that it never felt to me like Chloe's voice was coming out of Aloy's mouth.

I dunno, I placed it immediately, but still a great performance

Radec

Yo for the all allies trophy..

I already finished the game and only got 1 more side quest to finish. If I went back to the main quest that rolled back the trophy will pop up? Or should I finish it first?

Yo for the all allies trophy..

I already finished the game and only got 1 more side quest to finish. If I went back to the main quest that rolled back the trophy will pop up? Or should I finish it first?

To my recollection that trophy pops up before any of the fighting starts.

Kvik

Another weekend, another solid Horizon gameplay!

Some random tidbits:

• Finally found two raccoon skins in the stalker-infested jungle. After 10 raccoon bones with harvest arrows I exclaimed 'Fuck this' and proceeded to melee the poor creature. There it was: a blue drop which wasn't an animal talisman.
  • I thought one Rockbreaker was hard. But two? If I didn't manage to dismantle their digging claws in the first 2 minutes, the fight was already pretty much over.
  • Playing this game in Very Hard is almost Souls-esque, since aim assist is disabled and a leap attack spent 3/4 of the health bar. It doesn't matter if she's level 46, wearing heavy armour with 2x purple mods and armed to the teeth, miss the dodge timing one too many times, Aloy will wake up near a bonfire.
  • There was a vantage point overlooking Meridian (or what it was look like in the old world), I thought it was really impressive engineering feat to built a city in that location.

ActWan

Animal skins are actually pretty easy to get for me, I buy a shit ton of boxes from a speciality merchant in Meridian, with processed metal block. I think the boxes are called "dark scavanger", I got all my skins from them.

Yo, guys.

Just nabbed myself a "very rare" +44% Tear modification from a Bellowback in a Cauldron.

I'm guessing this is pretty legit? Do I want to save it for the Shadow Sharpshot? I'm currently only rocking the Carja Sharpshot.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom