• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Adams

Untitled-1c9a0e.gif

Unreal

Cyanity

Banned
Feel the same, along with a few others. Really thats the only complaint I have - the dialogue, the way the character dont really express what theyre saying, and the voice actors are the only things

Is it that the dialogue itself is bad, or just the expressions and VAs?

Played for 6 hours straight. Horizon is so fucking good it makes other videogames look bad. Like, holy shit gaf this is QUALITY.

I can't believe Zelda comes out in a few days.

Ochibi

Started a few hours ago (around 3 or 4)

Visuals are amazing, the Photo Mode is incredible and I really love the combat. The game has the potential to be my GOTY 2017 (but NieR Automata + Zelda BOTW + Persona 5 are coming).

Is it that the dialogue itself is bad, or just the expressions and VAs?
Some of the writing is mediocre I feel like, and the way the animations for the characters look so unnatural when theyre speaking is kind of meh. For ex. the character is saying something important and he's just standing there with his arms relaxed...when he should be showing body movements adding to the emotion of his words.
Its hard to explain - but Im pretty sure everyone sees it

Oxn

Just did a 3hour session.

Im into it, battles were harder than i expected until you get use to the controls.

Can't wait to pick this up later. The fact that some are even praising the story (which I didn't expect much from) is getting me hyped.

Ok GAF, help me out

I'm super stuck in Nioh at the BS water boss (UmeBozi something).

Do I keep ploughing through that game or do I get Horizon today instead

You've barely scratched the surface with Nioh. Anyways, for Umi Bozu
make sure you buff your weapon with fire. You can do that with fire talismans or you can use the 3 bonfires that you can light across the stage. If you use them to buff your weapon the adds will spawn though.(lesser Umi Bozus)

Between TW3 awesome story and world building, and more recently Nioh exceptional RPG mechanics, the landscape has changed and games have to be much more to impress. Im about 3 hours in and keep thinking of putting Nioh back on lol.

I had fun with Nioh, but I'll gladly put it down for a while to play Horizon. The combat/roleplaying depth is great, but the level variety and especially the enemy variety is extremely lacking. Enemy variety seems to be something Horizon excels at compared to Nioh.

RedHill

Banned
Debating just dropping $60 I don't have on this because I need a new game and it looks gorgeous.

A few questions:

Is there a overall narrative going on that is a big focus? Or is it less apparent with most of the game being taken up by small quests?

How long is the game?

Just fought humans for the first time and...fucking yikes.

I'll give this game about 5 more hours to grab me but man I'm pretty disappointed right now.

Debating just dropping $60 I don't have on this because I need a new game and it looks gorgeous.

A few questions:

Is there a overall narrative going on that is a big focus? Or is it less apparent with most of the game being taken up by small quests?

How long is the game?

Since I haven't played the game I cannot answer your first 2 questions but game should take between 40-60 hours depending on your gameplay, side quests etc.

A few questions:

How long is the game?
Yes, there is a focus on the overarching narrative.

I'll give this game about 5 more hours to grab me but man I'm pretty disappointed right now.
How far are you?

Slaythe

A few questions:

How long is the game?

It has both a big narrative and smaller quests spread in the world.

Also has some lore stuff to discover yourself. And then you have the gameplay related stuff like combat, crafting, "puzzles" specifics etc...

Ferrio

Banned
I'm so glad that at the beggining of the game
the other teens got killed off. I was groaning pretty hard at the two cliche opponents to Aloy. Glad the game decided not to go down that route.

The Lamp

Plot twisttt.

Story keeps getting better. Unless it drops off a cliff or something I can't understand some saying this is uninteresting. I still very much recommend playing on Very Hard. It hasn't been super difficult or anything, but when you take a hit it's dark souls damage.

The story maintains its quality throughout.

The Lamp

Interested to hear your opinion 5 hours from now.

But it was no secret that the human enemies are basically moving targets that shoot back at you. They don't flank or collaborate.

This game is the shit..

I think Zelda is going to offer up more gameplay variety and may edge it out with just how creative you can be, but I gotta say, I thought it would be no contest for GOTY with Persona 5, Zelda, and RDR coming. This will outclass Zelda in graphics/Voice acting/and Story IMO judging from early streamers, (story/acting are my only gripes with what I saw)RDR and P5 have their work cut out for them.

it's so so so so good!

I have to play Nioh, but this is easily PS4's top exclusive If the story stays this good. And TLG was no slouch either in the feels department.

GravyButt

Beyond addicted already. Must take a break though. The flu is dominating me. But hot damn this game is fricken amazing. Not something I say often.

Fucking amazon used USPS and my package is nowhere to be seen.

Amazon now deliver themselves in my area and it's actually worse than USPS for me lol. They don't get to my house till like 8pm it sucks so damn bad. Never would of thought I would take USPS back, but at least they got to my house around lunch time.

Kaizer

Banned
Yayyy, my copy arrived from Amazon an hour ago! Just got it installed & updated, got through the intro movie & now letting the title screen music loop. Pretty excited to dig into this game - I was ready to buy it on Day One the second it was shown at the E3 2015 conference. Hopefully it lives up to the reviews & hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom