• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeru

First, melee combat is bad, as in, Witcher 3 bad, or worse (because of no lock on), if that's possible. It's so vague. At one point, I accidentally hit R2 while I was sort of near an enemy, thinking "whoops". Aloy did a 180 and warped several meters to strike the enemy. Basically, melee is inconsistent. Without a lock on button, target acquisition feels random and execution of attacks is all over the place. I don't get why western devs can rarely seem to get this right. I just want them to make it so that the same thing happens every time I hit R2 or R1, not this weird contextual shit where Aloy will do different things depending on the location/position of the enemy. Luckily, melee combat doesn't play a huge role unless you're surrounded by enemies or doing a stealth takedown, so it's not as big a deal as it might seem, but it could definitely use improvement.

When you say inconsistent - what do you mean? I wreck with melee hits, and Aloy strikes where I aim. It's pretty bad ass. The small teleport is weird, true - but I don't see the inconsistency with the melee combat.

Slaythe

I love the melee I don't know what the hell he's on about...

A lock on LOL.

BTW for the record, I started on Very Hard and the game is really easy so far.

But I'm still early on.

g2ERUTC.gif

Wow! Looks right out of a CG trailer.

When you say inconsistent - what do you mean? I wreck with melee hits, and Aloy strikes where I aim. It's pretty bad ass. The small teleport is weird, true - but I don't see the inconsistency with the melee combat.

Yeah, like I said on the last page, the problem is NOT that attacks miss, the problem is that attacks that should miss, hit. It makes melee combat too easy. The biggest specific issue being that Aloy can be several meters away from an enemy and facing the wrong direction, and hitting melee will spin her around and warp her to the enemy and the attack will connect. It shouldn't be that way. In that scenario, she should swing her stick and miss.

LuuKyK

The melee combat really isnt that bad. The lack of lock-on is kind of annoying but it isnt game breaking or anything.

Hitting machines with the spear and seeing their parts falling off feels extremely satisfying (guess part of that is also due to the amazing sound design in the game) as does silent killing or landing critical hits. Not to mention there is great variety to it, you can kill from above, from below, you can slide and hit, all with different animations.

I mean, yes, it could have been better, but its far from being as terrible as you make it seem.

Lifeline

How do I redeem my Digital Deluxe edition items? It says to bring them to a merchant and I went to the first guy you meet and it doesn't show up on the sell list.

Wagram

Plot twisttt.

Story keeps getting better. Unless it drops off a cliff or something I can't understand some saying this is uninteresting. I still very much recommend playing on Very Hard. It hasn't been super difficult or anything, but when you take a hit it's dark souls damage.

The game looks and plays great, my only complaint is that it makes my PS4 Pro scream something wicked (especially if you let it sit on the menu). Whoo boy.

Might pick this game up down the line, still not 100% done with Nioh and Zelda is on friday. Then Mass Effect arrives shortly after that.

Anyway Aloy, whats up with the name? Made from different types of metal, or is there some other meaning behind the name? :D but alloying is spelled differently, so maybe not.

Taggen86

You know what, I think Digital Fundry did say they had issues with 5.1. But they switched to stereo and everything came out ok once they did. Try that and see if it helps.
Also experiencing sound problems on my 5.1 sound system. Hopefully they will fix them given that DF reported on them early.

Yeah, like I said on the last page, the problem is NOT that attacks miss, the problem is that attacks that should miss, hit. It makes melee combat too easy. The biggest specific issue being that Aloy can be several meters away from an enemy and facing the wrong direction, and hitting melee will spin her around and warp her to the enemy and the attack will connect. It shouldn't be that way. In that scenario, she should swing her stick and miss.

This. I must say though that I'd rather have her hit when she should miss than miss when she should hit like a lot of other games where melee combat is not focused on as much.

IS anyone else finding issues with the sound?

I'm playing via my 5.1 surround sound setup and the sounds don't seem to do direction or distance very well.

Likewhen people talk it's hard to which direction it is exactly, even if they are clearly on my left side the dialogue seems stuck to front center.

Then when I was coming across machines in water the sound they made as they walked was REALLY loud, even though they were like 30+ feet away it sounded like they were right beside me.

It's weird, all my other games are fine, just seems like the audio is fubar somewhere.

It's a known issue - read about it in a couple of different previews/reviews.

Lifeline

Also, how do I stealth kill a watcher when I lure him near me. Holding down R2 is not a instant kill and it warns the others.

Its under buy not sell and look for treasure boxes.

Found it, thanks. Weird place to put it, since I already have the special boxes.

dealer-

Plot twisttt.

Story keeps getting better. Unless it drops off a cliff or something I can't understand some saying this is uninteresting. I still very much recommend playing on Very Hard. It hasn't been super difficult or anything, but when you take a hit it's dark souls damage.

I was getting bodied early on on medium lol.

Played for about 5 hours. It's good, not loving it yet. Exposition heavy at the start but I guess that's needed to lay the foundation. Everything has just opened up so hopefully I can get on with playing the game now.

I don't understand what kind of magic GG did to achieve these visuals.

The in-game character models. The emotion on Aloys face. Just everything. Holy shit.

Melchiah

Since no-one answered, I'll put the question here again, as the digital version will unlock in 2½ hours in Europe, and I'm still wondering whether to cancel the pre-order for the retail limited edition or not.

So, those NA players who have the digital deluxe edition, can the concept art be accessed outside of the game, and transferred to PC? If so, what's the file format, and image resolution?

TyrantII

So preformance mode is 1080P locked at 30, but it says enhanced graphics. Any idea what sort of gfx effects get enhanced yet?

Doubt I'll bump it there since the super sampling is sexy.

Sanctuary

This day/night and weather cycling is insane. Go meet Rost when it's pitch black night, but then decide "Well, I better get some rest because it's a ways before night". Finish talking to him less than a minute later and it's morning. Travel a minute...snowstorm, travel another minute...bright, sunny day, walk just a bit more...rainstorm. WTF?

aravuus

1aef98647f95141f0bf02c8ebd00d794.png

Bwahahahahah

Too good.

Totally expected at least one of those zeros to be from a Zelda weirdo lol

Most of them are probably more about the whole "RRRREEEEEE feemales" thing though, but fuck if I'm gonna waste my time reading anything by these garbage people

So, those NA players who have the digital deluxe edition, can the concept art be accessed outside of the game, and transferred to PC? If so, what's the file format, and image resolution?

The digital artbook is completely separate from the actual game, so yes. I didn't have time to look at everything so I don't know if they can be transferred to PC. However, I saw a "Download" button at the bottom right corner of each photo, so maybe that's possible? Sorry I can't give a definitive answer regarding that. Hope that helps.

.la1n

The game looks and plays great, my only complaint is that it makes my PS4 Pro scream something wicked (especially if you let it sit on the menu). Whoo boy.

Only game to do this is for me so far is Titanfall 2 and I actively avoid playing it sometimes because of it. I do not look forward to it's return.

Justified

Totally expected at least one of those zeros to be from a Zelda weirdo lol

Most of them are probably more about the whole "RRRREEEEEE feemales" thing though, but fuck if I'm gonna waste my time reading anything by these garbage people

Cody is a Nintendo Fanatic Fanboy, look at the rest of his reviews.

Nintendo game all 10s, non-nintendo game all 0s

The gameplay is a melting pot of many other games, it ends being extremely fun and competent.

If you have 0 interest in lore and stories it might hurt the overall enjoyment, but the gameplay is pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback. From everything I'm readying and seeing, I think I'll get it at a reduced price later down the line, really busy with Nioh still right now anyway but wanted to check in on this one after seeing some pretty cool architecture in some screens (which is what really got me interested).

It'll be a nice break from Nioh, doo eeet. That's what I'm doing cause god damn NG+ loot game lol.

I'm so far up Nioh's ass right now, there's no way I'm stopping any time soon haha. This will come way after if anything.

Melchiah

The digital artbook is completely separate from the actual game, so yes. I didn't have time to look at everything so I don't know if they can be transferred to PC. However, I saw a "Download" button at the bottom right corner of each photo, so maybe that's possible? Sorry I can't give a definitive answer regarding that. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. The digital edition sounds all the more tempting now, since the physical art booklet is pretty small, but I do like the package. Decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom