• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staf

Without spoiling anything, are there any bigger and meaner monsters than the robot T-rex? Or is that the biggest one?

zkorejo

Also, Aloy is such a likeable character

Love her to death already <3

Does anyone know if your dialogue choices affect the game in some way?

From what I have heard, it only affects that moment. If for example you throw a stone at
that stupid kid's face
in the beginning, it won't haunt you at the end of the game.

No butterfly effects or anything.

fantomena

Can anyone confirm this game won't have as boring missions as Far Cry Primal? Cause, I don't know why, but every time I think about the game, in the head it shwos me Far Cry Primals boring-ass missions.

lonerism

From what I have heard, it only affects that moment. If for example you throw a stone at
that stupid kid's face
in the beginning, it won't haunt you at the end of the game.

No butterfly effects or anything.

Damn, I should have
smacked that kid then
lol

rdytoroll

Just got the game! I know that it's not like Far Cry Primal, but I loved that game. So if it's even better as that one, whew lads.

Let's gooo

zkorejo

Her head is too big on her body.

She looks fine as a baby and an adult, but kid Aloy is weird (like kids in most games).

Isnt that normal though?.. I have seen kids with slightly bigger heads. Also the internet says kids with big heads are likely to be clever.
qrEk7cq.png

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I feel like I have to sit at least six feet away from my 55 tv to enjoy the game. I dunno why, was never a problem with other games. Maybe because the world is densely packed or the motion blur?

nOoblet16

Can anyone confirm this game won't have as boring missions as Far Cry Primal? Cause, I don't know why, but every time I think about the game, in the head it shwos me Far Cry Primals boring-ass missions.
The missions themselves are pretty run of the mill, go here and kill people and robot until you get a cutscene that gives you location of the next area where you do the same. Or sometimes it's you going into an location where you basically have story scenes one after another broken up by small fights where you fight 4-5 enemies about 2-3 times. The side missions are all fetch quests basically. So yea not really that great.

The level design of missions themselves can range from very good to meh. But the combat is fun so even the average levels feel good to play and the story is engaging unlike Primal. It's interesting to note though that despite this being an open world game with a lot of player abilities, this game doesn't really have much in the way of emergent gameplay.

nOoblet16

She's got a weird uncanny valley thing going on.

Isnt that normal though?.. I have seen kids with slightly bigger heads. Also the internet says kids with big heads are likely to be clever.
qrEk7cq.png

Something is off with the face and head proportions to me, I felt weird looking at her.

Her head is too big on her body.

She looks fine as a baby and an adult, but kid Aloy is weird (like kids in most games).
It's not the head, it's just the hair. The hairstyle kid Aloy has is not a hairstyle you see on kids in reality. It's why her head looks weird.

zkorejo

I feel like I have to sit at least six feet away from my 55 tv to enjoy the game. I dunno why, was never a problem with other games. Maybe because the world is densely packed or the motion blur?

They need to add camera sensitivity bar. This is the first game I have ever looked for one in a SP game and didnt even find it.

aravuus

Funny how they've nailed random QoL things and fucked up others. Like I can create a task/quest to get the materials for a piece of equipment I want to buy, which is really cool. But then, I don't REALLY know if the gear will be good cause the effects are listed with weird icons and numbers that don't really mean anything to me.

I would assume the small fire icon means fire resistance, but how much fire resistance is 15?

So when you're making Horizon 2, GG, just write "reduces damage taken from fire by 15%" or something under the effects.

Tovarisc

Didn't miss how effing long it takes for PS4 to install game from BluRay, this is taking fooorever :/

Or alternatively game isn't 100% installed to HDD so it's why console keeps spinning disc 24/7.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I love this game to death but damn, the characters look dead inside in conversations. I think its the eyes, there's something about them.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ahhh ...

someone please tell me you'll get enough experience points to get most of the skills ...

choosing which skill to spend points in has been the most stressing thing about the game so far. I'm trying to keep a balance between spear and bow upgrades. Also need to put points in the health pouch so I can increase it's capacity.

Impulsor

Ahhh ...

someone please tell me you'll get enough experience points to get most of the skills ...

choosing which skill to spend points in has been the most stressing thing about the game so far. I'm trying to keep a balance between spear and bow upgrades. Also need to put points in the health pouch so I can increase it's capacity.

You can eventually have them all unlocked.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ahhh ...

Im level 16 (max level is 50) and I have a lot of skills already. I think you cane asily get them all since some missions give you skill points as reward

Ahhh ...

you do unlock all the skills

there's actually more than enough points I had 1+ left over when I used it all up. lol

Ahhh ...

I didn't bother with the health pouch. til very late game

the useless ones in my mind was shooting on a string but the jumping attack one is useful.

Surfheart

Definitely notice some improvements in image quality in the performance mode (I have a 1080p tv)

Only obvious in certain circumstances mainly in edge aliasing improvements on models during conversations when there is a heavy dof effect.

Oneself

I expected to be impressed by the graphics after having seen the trailers etc. (playing on a Pro) but I didn't expect to be completely blown away. Holyfk it looks completely insane. And it's an open world. O_0

It certainly uses magic or something.

Definitely notice some improvements in image quality in the performance mode (I have a 1080p tv)

Only obvious in certain circumstances mainly in edge aliasing improvements on models during conversations when there is a heavy dof effect.

Yea, I don't get it either. The performance mode looks better than the resolution mode a lot of the times.

Something seems messed up.

bunkitz

Played about three hours last night, I think. I did some side quests after the tutorial and got distracted quite a bit, so I've only just bought the Ropecaster.

I am absolutely in love with this game. I haven't had this much pure, unadulterated fun since The Phantom Pain. In fact, I think I'm having even more fun. It just plays so damn well! And the thrill of the hunt, man. What a rush! It was so exhilarating to fight my first pack of machines, and every fight after that too. It's so satisfying, especially when I'm taking on a lot of machines at the same time. Although, of course I do my best to separate them and pick them off one at a time.

God, I love Horizon so much already.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You can eventually have them all unlocked.

Im level 16 (max level is 50) and I have a lot of skills already. I think you cane asily get them all since some missions give you skill points as reward

you do unlock all the skills

there's actually more than enough points I had 1+ left over when I used it all up. lol

I didn't bother with the health pouch. til very late game

the useless ones in my mind was shooting on a string but the jumping attack one is useful.

Thanks guys.

I wanted to get the pouch double thing early because Aloy takes a LOT of damage for every hit.

Yea, I don't get it either. The performance mode looks better than the resolution mode a lot of the times.

Something seems messed up.

Are you on a 1080p TV ?

Because on my 4K display, Performance mode looks a lot softer and has some shimmering.

Prefer resolution is a *HUGE* improvement.

I love this game to death but damn, the characters look dead inside in conversations. I think its the eyes, there's something about them.

Woah, completely disagree. I think the eyes are fantastic. GG nailed them, they really help sell the various characters.

jdstorm

Banned

Its more of an Uncharted/NuRaider game x Assasins Creed 2. With hints of Borderlands. Its very much a linear story driven game and the open world is there to add atmosphere plus some fun mostly optional side content.

cheesekao

Funny how they've nailed random QoL things and fucked up others. Like I can create a task/quest to get the materials for a piece of equipment I want to buy, which is really cool. But then, I don't REALLY know if the gear will be good cause the effects are listed with weird icons and numbers that don't really mean anything to me.

I would assume the small fire icon means fire resistance, but how much fire resistance is 15?

So when you're making Horizon 2, GG, just write "reduces damage taken from fire by 15%" or something under the effects.
I don't see how a standard RPG mechanic is considered "fucking up". Damage and defense calculations aren't always that simple and I don't think you'd want to whip out a calculator if they gave you functions.

AngryMoth

About to start. Would you guys recommend playing on hard? Looking for a challenge that might force me to explore the combat variety a bit more but don't want to bother if it's frustrating

Man,
young Aloy was so adorable!

Anyway, just a few hours in so far. Really enjoying the story and the characters. Completely blown away by the IQ in this game. Especially during night time. I don't think I'm going to be able to finish this by the time Zelda comes out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom