• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

I don't see how a standard RPG mechanic is considered "fucking up". Damage and defense calculations aren't always that simple and I don't think you'd want to whip out a calculator if they gave you functions.

It has been a while since I've played a game where I've had zero idea how much a resistance bonus of given gear would help me. I can't even tell if 15 is supposed to be a lot or a little since I can't, as far as I can tell, see my base stats anywhere. Is 15 vs 20 a big difference? Or 15 and 16? Same goes for weapons, everything is so annoyingly vague.

Maybe fucking up is too harsh, but I don't like this either way. I'd gladly take the damage calculation functions and calculate the values myself.

Ricker

My only complaint with the game is,again,the tiny text but this goes right over the devs head it seems,so it will never be fixed so I better get use to it.

ieatzombies

About to start. Would you guys recommend playing on hard? Looking for a challenge that might force me to explore the combat variety a bit more but don't want to bother if it's frustrating

I've been playing on hard and it feels like a nice sweet spot without frustration. Crank it up and have fun

Can anyone do me a favor and point me to some performance mode vs resolution mode 1080p screenshot comparisons?

I want to see if my game is bugged or something or if the resolution mode just isn't that good for 1080p.

This game!!!!!

I turned off all UI besides the enemy hidden/seen level and their health bar.

Feels like I'm playing in an interactive painting!

Guys don't be afraid to play on Very hard, this is the way to go if you are seasoned gamer, once the mechanics clicks, you'll be taking down Sawtooths with ease! Even the limited melee is useful, and is a valuable option in combat. Use your wits, all the weapons so far are very very useful if you use your brain.

This game!!!!!

I turned off all UI besides the enemy hidden/seen level and their health bar.

Feels like I'm playing in an interactive painting!

Guys don't be afraid to play on Very hard, this is the way to go if you are seasoned gamer, once the mechanics clicks, you'll be taking down Sawtooths with ease! Even the limited melee is useful, and is a valuable option in combat. Use your wits, all the weapons so far are very very useful if you use your brain.

Right now I'm playing on Hard. I think I might switch it to very hard after I complete my first
cauldron

Surfheart

Can anyone do me a favor and point me to some performance mode vs resolution mode 1080p screenshot comparisons?

I want to see if my game is bugged or something or if the resolution mode just isn't that good for 1080p.

I don't think it's bugged, I guess they have more ram free (and bandwidth) in 1080p mode and use it for higher res dof or perhaps heavier aa in those situations compared to the 4K mode?

Edit: I do see improvement to some things in the 4K mode, such as thin tree branches in the middle distance that don't shimmer as much when panning the camera, vs the 1080p mode. It's very subtle though.

BraXzy

GOD DAMN IT!

Royal Mail delivery woman didn't knock and just posted a "Sorry we missed you note" so no game for me today... Someone was in waiting too.

cheesekao

It has been a while since I've played a game where I've had zero idea how much a resistance bonus of given gear would help me. I can't even tell if 15 is supposed to be a lot or a little since I can't, as far as I can tell, see my base stats anywhere. Is 15 vs 20 a big difference? Or 15 and 16? Same goes for weapons, everything is so annoyingly vague.

Maybe fucking up is too harsh, but I don't like this either way. I'd gladly take the damage calculation functions and calculate the values myself.
You normally get armor in RPGs with arbitrary defense values right? Of course, higher generally means better but you'd have to get hit and compare the damage to know how much of a difference it makes. Rarely does an RPG ever only use easy to understand % values.

Freeman76

It would be easy to reply "better everything" but I would do that. :p

She cant manage her quests better lol.

Im not sure how I feel about having to select the quest to complete the objectives. Seems a bit backwards to me, if I kill 3 watchers with eye shots during another quest why does that not tick off my Tutorial quest at the same time? Dumb bird needs to learn lol

aravuus

You normally get armor in RPGs with arbitrary defense values right? Of course, higher generally means better but you'd have to get hit and compare the damage to know how much of a difference it makes. Rarely does an RPG ever only use easy to understand % values.

The percentage in the initial post was just an example, it doesn't have to literally tell me the percentages. Should've made that clear.

Rien

Jelly Belly
How can you save the game without resting at the bonfire? Normally you expect it in the options menu but i cant find it

Yeah, I am playing on hard, taking on 3 scrappers early on in the game, with just normal arrows and no weapon mods is no joking matter!

the key is to use the spear. I just waltz up to herds of whatever; dodge, heavy attack, critical strike when they are on the ground.

Ammogeddon

Wow the stealth skills are OP. I slaughtered a herd that was clustered all within a small circle. They didn't even react as i picked them off one by one when they were next to each other.

Yeah it's the only thing that's bugging me right now. Way too easy. I'm not far through so hoping the other bots aren't so easy to stealth kill.

So pretty

C51dFcNUwAUKdHC.jpg

I don't think it's bugged, I guess they have more ram free (and bandwidth) in 1080p mode and use it for higher res dof or perhaps heavier aa in those situations compared to the 4K mode?

Edit: I do see improvement to some things in the 4K mode, such as thin tree branches in the middle distance that don't shimmer as much when panning the camera, vs the 1080p mode. It's very subtle though.

Ah, I see. Yea, I think I might just go with the 1080p mode on my TV then. The IQ is already phenomenal and I think it just looks better in most situations.

The downsampled IQ is disappointing though. Toggling it on or off during conversations has no perceptible effect for me. Coming off of a game like For Honor or Deus Ex which are downsampled, Horizon's mode very much pales in comparison.

Ferr986

Finally got it! Now to endure 5 hours more of work....

Also, Normal or Hard? Dont know what to do :/ In one part I think I'm good enough on combat, but on the other part I suck at resource management and stealth.

fastmower

Ah, I see. Yea, I think I might just go with the 1080p mode on my TV then. The IQ is already phenomenal and I think it just looks better in most situations.

The downsampled IQ is disappointing though. Toggling it on or off during conversations has no perceptible effect for me. Coming off of a game like For Honor or Deus Ex which are downsampled, Horizon's mode very much pales in comparison.
I'm going to take some screens and see if we can compare.

Voorhees

Yeah, I am playing on hard, taking on 3 scrappers early on in the game, with just normal arrows and no weapon mods is no joking matter!

I'm playing on Hard as well. That pack was kicking my ass, then I remember I had melee attacks. Slapping it with a spear is much easier than combat rolling and shooting with the bow.

Staf

Nooooooooo! Just got home from work having taking half the day off to play this game. I pre-ordered the game this weekend but it turned out it only auto-downloaded a bloody artbook. I now have to download the game, 44gb which is estimated to take 3 hours... God damnit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom