• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanctuary

Yeah, are you tripping or what because I don't see anything abnormal is the video you posted.

Might have to play it on a larger screen if you aren't, but the foliage always goes light/dark/light/dark with the slightest movement on the y-axis, and I even exaggerated the movement of the screen just so that it could be seen easier for that video. It produces an almost strobing effect on all of the grass and trees. Slight lighting or shadow changes wouldn't do that, and when pretty much the entire screen is full of waving grass everywhere, it's horrible to look at. It's like watching something on a decade old LCD where the picture dithers badly if you move your head in the slightest.

It's the most noticebale in the first part of the video closer to the end, and in the second part of the video it's pretty apparent the entire time on the grass.

is there a lot of forced stealth in this game?
Nope. What's really great about the gameplay is how you can truly approach each combat scenario any way you want. There are sufficient ways to be a stealth-only player using gadgets and ways to be one who jumps off of rocks and mows down machines in slo-mo.

Neoweee

Aside from the few bugs/oddities I commented on, this game is great. It is pretty rare for a game to engross me for 5 hours, especially through what should be a shitty, tribal, pre-SciFi tutorial zone.

Lots of great shit. Very Hard is actually going to be... Very Hard, because you don't get much extra resilience to damage through leveling or quests. It seems like Stealth armor is the way to go, for now? Going to grind a bunch of the lower 3/4 types of enemies with stealth kills before moving on.

The INVENTORY upgrade system is unusually great. Lots of little knobs to tweak, and inventory space likely won't be an issue as long as you keep an eye on upgrading.

CHC

I'm really enjoying the game, it's very nice looking. Minor gripe but I can't help but feel like I can't see anything. I feel like I'm missing information, I can't see enemies and the camera seems too zoomed in on Aloy for me. There is a ton of useful information using R3 but then it slows you to a crawl and none of the information except trails stays marked once you leave R3 mode.

I will also admit that this game can sometimes be a victim of its own graphics with regards to playability. Similar thing happened in Witcher III and Arkham Knight sometimes - each frame is so rich and so packed with detail that it can be hard to parse what is interactive and what is set dressing.

It's not like a serious problem or anything.

I don't think this is right. All the patch did day 1 is offer 1080p a 'favor framerate' mode. Which is 1080p without supersampling. Which as many have said is kind of a silly option considering the game is locked 99% of the time when supersampled anyway.

Nope, version 1.00 has a pretty noticeable hit to IQ that is not present in the supersampling mode of the patched game.

Bulk_Rate

lBfJKD9.gif

What is this Wizardry?????

breakfuss

Ugh I went into what i presume is the first of a few cauldrons and reached the end...and yeeeeah, I wasn't prepared for this shit. At all. I keep dying. I wish I could back out.

cheesekao

Ugh I went into what i presume is the first of a few cauldrons and reached the end...and yeeeeah, I wasn't prepared for this shit. At all. I keep dying. I wish I could back out.
I've heard a few people saying you can find a way out. I can't imagine a game trapping you in a death loop.

What are some of the best skills in everyone opinion? I'm level 22 and I have unlocked basically everything in the prowler skill list, the top three for rave and all the way down to being able to shoot 3 arrows at once, and lure in the forger.

I want to know what skills I should be looking at next.

Krakin

Has anone seen the scrapper's pulse actually work? I'm chilling in the grass while they ping like crazy but they haven't found me yet.

mileS

Nope, version 1.00 has a pretty noticeable hit to IQ that is not present in the supersampling mode of the patched game.

Well the version DF had weeks ago had supersampling so I don't know anymore. Also starting to get confused by people saying "favor performance" looks better on 1080p screens... That is kind of backwards and I don't think its true. If I'm wrong then there's a really weird bug going on.

Zakalwe

Banned
I really like how they handled the initial exposition dump. Talking to the infant makes it feel much more natural than normal.

The male warrior being subservient to the matriarchs was refreshing, too. I have a feeling I'm going to like this game.

d9b

Banned
Might have to play it on a larger screen if you aren't, but the foliage always goes light/dark/light/dark with the slightest movement on the y-axis, and I even exaggerated the movement of the screen just so that it could be seen easier for that video. It produces an almost strobing effect on all of the grass and trees. Slight lighting or shadow changes wouldn't do that, and when pretty much the entire screen is full of waving grass everywhere, it's horrible to look at. It's like watching something on a decade old LCD where the picture dithers badly if you move your head in the slightest.

It's the most noticebale in the first part of the video closer to the end, and the second video it's pretty apparent the entire time on the grass.

Maybe check your TV's settings for any post-processing like dynamic contrast and stuff... and disable it?

X-Frame

Has anone seen the scrapper's pulse actually work? I'm chilling in the grass while they ping like crazy but they haven't found me yet.

One worked on me. I was in the grass crouched and it found me. It was about 10 feet from me I think, maybe a bit shorter.

jrcbandit

What are some of the best skills in everyone opinion? I'm level 22 and I have unlocked basically everything in the prowler skill list, the top three for rave and all the way down to being able to shoot 3 arrows at once, and lure in the forger.
Double health collection in forager seems essential.

G-Bus

Banned
Finally made my way out of the sacred lands and realised how terrible I am at this game.

This giant bird keeps fucking my shit up. Had him close but I rolled into some other enemies and all hell broke loose.

Feel like I've missed some stuff. Still haven't seen any electric or freezing arrows?

witness

Tested out unpatched Horizon (v. 1.00) on PS4 Pro on a 1080p TV.

The unpatched game doesn't have supersampling enabled and it looks like a patch adds that. It also seems to have less AA coverage at 1080p than the patched version.

Interesting, thanks for trying that out. Something does look off for me on supersampled, the difference in clarity is incredibly subtle to me compared to its 1080p mode, only thing I saw was no/less shimmering. Absolutely nothing like the dramatic difference I expected.

Well the version DF had weeks ago had supersampling so I don't know anymore. Also starting to get confused by people saying "favor performance" looks better on 1080p screens... That is kind of backwards and I don't think its true. If I'm wrong then there's a really weird bug going on.

Favor performance looks sharper in instances and favor resolution just has a blur and a lack of clarity that I've seen in other downsampled games.

Maybe DF had version 1.01. I did it with the disc and it had IQ issues. I will try and post some comparisons soon if I can.

For PS4 Pro owners with a 1080p TV:

If you just left the game at resolution mode, I'd honestly go give performance mode a shot. I've been toggling it back and forth between resolution and performance and given the comparisons and talks with a couple other gaffers, I think it's a good idea to try out performance mode and see how it looks for you.

On my end, the performance mode just straight up looks sharper most of the time and there doesn't seem to be much of a perceptible difference in actual image quality most of the time.

Thank you for this. Putting the game on performance mode stopped my issues of my PS4 Pro fans getting so loud.

Are there sidequests in each village in sacred lands?
i came across a few during the story missions but i avoided the villages because i thought theyll kick me out or something.
i think the map has opened up for me but i wanna be done with everything there is.

Also from the 2 or so hours ive played. It deserves the score. The game is downright excellent in every single way so far
playing on pro with 4k hdr. this is legit uncharted tier quality with an open world . such a meaty story and so many plot threads

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have the day off and just having to spend 3 hours outside my home is annoying me because it interferes with the game. I feel for you people that have to work. :p

I love it. It's so fun to fight the machines!

Mesharey

Man, I expected this game to be really good..

It surpassed everything I expected, definitely GOTY contender, good story and best looking game on PS4 yet, so areas are so amazing and outstanding, didn't expect GG to be this good, don't go back to Killzone!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What is this and what does it do?
It's an arrow you can shoot with the Sharpshooter bow that explodes off armor in a blast.

Guys, whats the time lapse of day/night cycle? I am playing almost 3hrs and I dont see any sun difference.
They also set ToD/weather based on quests, so maybe your quest is marked as a specific time of day so you don't get the regular cycle. When you're outside a quest in the world you get the regular ToD/weather patterns.

where do i find Fish bone ?? there doesn't seem to be any fish in the sea
There are fishes in rivers. Look for water with currents, you're bound to find fish there.

It's the most noticebale in the first part of the video closer to the end, and in the second part of the video it's pretty apparent the entire time on the grass.
No, I can see what you're getting at. The grass around 20+feet ahead changes from dark to light, dark to light. I myself have not noticed it although I'm sure it must happen in my game (and everybody's game) too. I have no fix though except try to ignore it or don't flick the camera up and down too quickly.

The Lamp

Anyone know the answer to this? Thanks.

You have to manually save at a campfire.

I get the feeling the game clock doesn't count idle time such as in menus, because I left my game idle A LOT and I still got equivalent game hours to other people during the review season.

where do i find Fish bone ?? there doesn't seem to be any fish in the sea

There are. Use your focus and look in the rivers.

TheMan

Glad to hear stealth is a choice and not a requirement. Now to decide between this and Zelda...

Who am I kidding I'm getting Zelda but I will come back to this!

Tigress

So I've been playing the intro area all day yesterday (ok, so since I got teh game from amazon and UPS took their time so less than half a day left to play). And I have it on hard (First game I went straight to hard. I suck at games so normal is usually hard enough. But a big appeal of this game was the monster hunterish like feel which I felt would be better/closer if it was less forgiving). And so far I'm like, "This isn't hard at all." I am loving the game and it is fun but the combat isn't exactly what I was hoping for (I was hoping for monster hunterish make you plan things and execute them well or else you put yourself in for a hard time). I only have been fighting the horse like creatures, the scrappers, and the watchers.

I finally get to the Sawtooth part and well... that's what I'm looking for. Unforgiving, you really do want to set up your traps, get that perfect shot, make use of its weaknesses. Unfortunately it was time to go to bed and I have to wait til after work to play today but I'm so impatient to try this fight again.

Please tell me most fights are like this :) (from what I've been reading it seems it might be so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom