• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate playing in the dark (my TV is just bad at displaying black), it really should be a option to make it go back to day again like the meditate function in W3.

Yeah, sometimes I wish there were a fast forward feature (like in Skyrim as well).

I love the nights in Horizon. But when I'm looking for a purple item in the middle of a jungle, I'd rather be doing it in a sunny day.

X-Frame

I use almost every weapon and ammo in my weapon reel, it's a necessity and satisfaying.
Most important, it's really easy to use everything.

Also: Tripwire is op.

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to regarding the ruins but for Aloy's home you must go back after the event that allows you to roam outside the embrace.
You won't find special items or anything but there's a cool story interaction.

Wonderful, thank you!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't get much time to play yesterday. Just got through the intro up to the first campfire you can save at.

Looking forward to playing more this evening.

So I've sunk about 4 or so hours into it so far. Playing it on Hard. I've just got to the bit where the plot kicks in.

It's pretty fun. I'm not 100% in love with it yet, but I like it quite a bit.

I really need to go into the settings and modify the UI.

Combat's good. I like that it requires some forethought when you encounter a mob of robots. Stealth kill is pretty powerful right now.

Aloy's kind of charming. I wish the cut scene animations were a little better though. Some weird jank in there.

Radec

It's amazing how everything are smooth and fast compared to witcher 3.
From the UI, loadings, NPC Interactions, etc.

LiK

Is this game cutscene and dialogue heavy like Witcher 3?

Depends on how much you dig into the dialogue trees with NPCs. Some are Bioware/Witcher3 level lengthy and they're fantastic. I love how sometimes you get unexpected humorous dialogue from some NPCs. Very unpredictable. Cutscenes are about the same so far and well directed.

mileS

After playing Yakuza 0 for over 70 hours, coming to this game and watching how fast and easy it is to save your game. It's like witch craft tbh.

Badgerst3

Is anyone else experiencing motion sickness from this game? I'm playing on a PS4 Pro, very rarely feel motion sick from games, but I felt so nauseated earlier that I vomited.

It might be sickness sickness, but I otherwise feel fine.

Strange- me to minus the vomiting. I kept searching for some sort of head bob toggle to turn off. It's like the whole screen moves when you move.

Figure I will get used to it ad I play. Was initially jarring coming directly from Nioh.

I probably shouldn't be in this thread because it's going to make my 8 hour work day unbearable. I just want to be hunting giant robotic beasts right now.

Everything about the combat and exploring the world is fantastic - the only drawback is the enemies have poor tracking, all you have to do is duck into the red grass and they forget about you/can't find you. Of course I'm only 2 hours in so maybe the later enemies start getting smarter.

I got to say the Blast Trap Hunting Trial was annoying as fuck. Didn't have the Blast Sling to direct the herd and so it was a game of trying to predict where they would go... Even though sometimes it felt completely random and they would sometimes spot the Blast Trap and run away. Took many tries.

there is an AMAZING gif of one guy doing this and doing a fucking awesome job with it. Someone find and post it. So gooood that gif.

Jacob4815

For PS4 Pro owners with a 1080p TV:

If you just left the game at resolution mode, I'd honestly go give performance mode a shot. I've been toggling it back and forth between resolution and performance and given the comparisons and talks with a couple other gaffers, I think it's a good idea to try out performance mode and see how it looks for you.

On my end, the performance mode just straight up looks sharper most of the time and there doesn't seem to be much of a perceptible difference in actual image quality most of the time.

Very strange, Rise of Tomb Raider is downsampled from the same 4k checkerboard resolution and it looks amazing.

Could 1080p Res Mode be glitched after the 1.02 patch?

Nester99

Did 5 hours last night.

This is one of the best games I have ever played.......how will I work today??

These load times are amazing, a new standard I hope.

Did 5 hours last night.

This is one of the best games I have ever played.......how will I work today??

Exact same feeling. I was going to wait till I got home to my Pro but I just bought it, couldn't wait. Looks amazing on PS4. Everything about it though is just sucking me in. One of the most impressive new IPs I've ever played.

witness

For PS4 Pro owners with a 1080p TV:

If you just left the game at resolution mode, I'd honestly go give performance mode a shot. I've been toggling it back and forth between resolution and performance and given the comparisons and talks with a couple other gaffers, I think it's a good idea to try out performance mode and see how it looks for you.

On my end, the performance mode just straight up looks sharper most of the time and there doesn't seem to be much of a perceptible difference in actual image quality most of the time.

Yeah I'm going to really look at this tonight when I play again. I just did a quick look at both and left it on supersampled yesterday almost out of habit. I remember not seeing much of a difference though and I did think that was weird. Especially after just getting done with Tomb Raider and being shocked how dramatically superior the supersampled mode is on there compared to the 1080p modes.

Carbonox

Wonderful. Received my copy today and the most inner circle of the disc is chipped like this:

Vmn9Opf.png

Haven't had a PS4 disc come like that before - I would assume it's risky business putting that in to the console? I'll get it replaced anyway.

dealer-

Very strange, Rise of Tomb Raider is downsampled from the same 4k checkerboard resolution and it looks amazing.

Could 1080p Res Mode be glitched after the 1.02 patch?

Yeah performance mode does look a tad sharper on my 1080p set. It does say smoother framerate and enhanced graphical features, so maybe that plays a part.

Jacob4815

Yeah I'm going to really look at this tonight when I play again. I just did a quick look at both and left it on supersampled yesterday almost out of habit. I remember not seeing much of a difference though and I did think that was weird. Especially after just getting done with Tomb Raider and being shocked how dramatically superior the supersampled mode is on there.

Yep Tomb Raider is 4k checkerboard and it looks gorgeous.

Definitely there's something wrong. I think that the 1.02 patch glitched the supersampling mode.

What do you recommend for HUD ? Should I turn it off ?

Dynamic.

I probably shouldn't be in this thread because it's going to make my 8 hour work day unbearable. I just want to be hunting giant robotic beasts right now.

Everything about the combat and exploring the world is fantastic - the only drawback is the enemies have poor tracking, all you have to do is duck into the red grass and they forget about you/can't find you. Of course I'm only 2 hours in so maybe the later enemies start getting smarter.

The enemies never really get smarter. The more you progress, you'll only meet more enemies that can't be stealth-killed, like the bigger ones. All human enemies are still a joke so far.

Only had a chance to play about an hour last night. It looks amazing and it definitely has me hooked. Work is going to drag today I just know, I just want to get back home and play more.

CHC

I got to say the Blast Trap Hunting Trial was annoying as fuck. Didn't have the Blast Sling to direct the herd and so it was a game of trying to predict where they would go... Even though sometimes it felt completely random and they would sometimes spot the Blast Trap and run away. Took many tries.

I got lucky and knocked out 5 with one shot because I happened to shoot it right near a log pile right as the herd ran through. All the log kills counted towards the tripwire challenge, I guess since it was triggered by that weapon.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What do you recommend for HUD ? Should I turn it off ?

Everything dynamic. Compass visible at all times.

That works great for me, everything else besides the compass at the top disappears after a few seconds. You can swipe on the touch pad in any direction and everything comes back up momentarily.

I also disabled the "path finding for quests" because the path icons take away from the image IMO.

SomTervo

Can and help me with the city of sun mission?
how do you open the hatch?!

Go upstairs homie!

The missions themselves are pretty run of the mill, go here and kill people and robot until you get a cutscene that gives you location of the next area where you do the same. Or sometimes it's you going into an location where you basically have story scenes one after another broken up by small fights where you fight 4-5 enemies about 2-3 times. The side missions are all fetch quests basically. So yea not really that great.

The level design of missions themselves can range from very good to meh. But the combat is fun so even the average levels feel good to play and the story is engaging unlike Primal. It's interesting to note though that despite this being an open world game with a lot of player abilities, this game doesn't really have much in the way of emergent gameplay.

just played for about 6 hours straight, with a few hours from last night too, and I completely disagree with this

- missions are "run of the mill" in the same way every game ever's missions are "run of the mill"
- what makes the missions fun are the unique combat scenarios (basically unique combos of enemies)
- and the combat itself which is phenomenal - an RPG where I actually relish a fight coming up???
- and re the bolded, this absolutely does have emergent gameplay. An
Overriden
machine versus Watchers and Sawtooths versus a group of humans versus the player's traps and tools = emergent gameplay

there are robots with tracking thingos that can sense you in the grass.

Does anyone else feels bad when hunting animals? It doesn't help the sound they make when they die and the boar requires like 4 hits, it's like killing him 4 times. -_-

Edit: Also they're completely defenseless.

I think I've played for about 7 hours but I'm not sure; is there not a game clock in this game? I checked in stats (which is pretty bare-bones), and didn't see anything?

Elandyll

Banned
Didn't go very far last night (just got the Tri Caster) because I kept getting side tracked and having a blast.
Just hunting for stupid food items for the old lady was a joy, tracking animals (and I hate hunting irl, so don't tell my spouse) and being cautious about being detected.

Who the F* said the world was lifeless? Everything moves. Pollen/ snowflakes in the air, grass, plants, clouds (slowly, depending on weather, as in more realistically), animals everywhere depending where you are (I saw scores of rabits, foxes, boars and turkeys, but flying birds as well).

Smh

x-Lundz-x

Played the into hour last night and was BLOWN AWAY by the presentation. Cannot wait to get some real time with it later this week and weekend.

SomTervo

Do more expensive bows/weapons do more damage by default?

After looking at the weapons sales menu for a few minutes it looked a lot like there was no difference between "uncommon", "rare" versions except modification slots.

Who the F* said the world was lifeless? Everything moves. Pollen/ snowflakes in the air, grass, plants, clouds (slowly, depending on weather, as in more realistically), animals everywhere depending where you are (I saw scores of rabits, foxes, boars and turkeys, but flying birds as well).

Smh

Remember that 'lifeless' often means there's no emergent interactions - different beasts getting in fights, humans getting in fights, humans travelling around, random stuff happening, etc. You're talking about graphics, "lifeless" usually means "static" from a gameplay perspective.

Those things do happen though - there are emergent battles and random events - just not very often. It's a pretty lively world.

I recommended this game to one of My colleagues, but after watching some gameplay he turned it off. Saying he dont want to play as a woman and the gameplay looks too complicated. He watched maybe a total 2 mins of gameplay. He liked far cry 4 and primal so thought it mightve been up his alley. But playing as a woman seem to turn some guys off.

He is higher paid than me, by quite alot.

The enemies never really get smarter. The more you progress, you'll only meet more enemies that can't be stealth-killed, like the bigger ones. All human enemies are still a joke so far.

Eh. I think I'm okay with that. In-the-moment combat is way more fun in this game than the sneaking around I think. It's such a rush to score a critical hit as something charges you then dodge out of the way.

there are robots with tracking thingos that can sense you in the grass.

Awesome. That'll make stealth more interesting.

Didn't go very far last night (just got the Tri Caster) because I kept getting side tracked and having a blast.
Just hunting for stupid food items for the old lady was a joy, tracking animals (and I hate hunting irl, so don't tell my spouse) and being cautious about being detected.

Smh

Not only everything you've described, I've come across random bandits roaming the world hunting machines, I even tag along for a while until I decide to keep on my track. Another time I found another group and after I helped them killing some machines they turned against me, tough fight that was decided by a Bellowback that killed all of us. :p

if you use fire arrows they go down in 1

Well, switching to fire then. Thx!

SomTervo

I recommended this game to one of My colleagues, but after watching some gameplay he turned it off. Saying he dont want to play as a woman

Oh god damn it

Awesome. That'll make stealth more interesting.

Every time I think "hmm the game mechanics make doing this thing a bit too easy" within a few hours I come upon a new system/feature that usurps my previous perspective.

A few hours back I was thinking "these bonfires are way too easy to 'unlock', it would be great if some of them were guarded by machines" then an hour later I come upon a bonfire guarded by two Bellowbacks

Well played, game

Well played, Guerrilla Games

beclause

Neo Member
I've finished the
proving
mission and
I've become a seeker
and am out into the wild.

Really enjoying the game. I had a question about the difficulty. I'm playing on Normal and haven't died even once. Should I bump it up to Hard? Or is the initial area supposed to be easy?

cheesekao

I recommended this game to one of My colleagues, but after watching some gameplay he turned it off. Saying he dont want to play as a woman and the gameplay looks too complicated. He watched maybe a total 2 mins of gameplay. He liked far cry 4 and primal so thought it mightve been up his alley. But playing as a woman seem to turn some guys off.

That's a pretty narrow minded colleague you got there.

Man, it's his fucking loss. What a moron...

idonteven

I've finished the
proving
mission and
I've become a seeker
and am out into the wild.

Really enjoying the game. I had a question about the difficulty. I'm playing on Normal and haven't died even once. Should I bump it up to Hard? Or is the initial area supposed to be easy?

it gets harder

Tyaren

The downsampled IQ is disappointing though. Toggling it on or off during conversations has no perceptible effect for me. Coming off of a game like For Honor or Deus Ex which are downsampled, Horizon's mode very much pales in comparison.

No offense, but that is crazy talk. XD The IQ of the game looks absolutely phenomenal downsampled. It's the cleanest and clearest game that I have played. On top of that framerate is very stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom