• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was literally forcing myself to play Witcher 3 - don't get me wrong - the game is well done, but the clunky ass controls and awful combat were really keeping me from getting hooked.

This game... I'm at work and all I can think about is playing when I get home.

Same here, to both points.

I don't know if it's the same for the rest of you, but learning how to take out a specific machine has changed from me being hunted by them to me hunting them is great. It's such a satisfying feeling going into a battle and knowing which parts to take out on certain enemies and how that can help you not only with them, but surrounding machines.
Oh yeahhh.

Just after a big battle I met 5 scrappers on the way to a savepoint. Decided to stand my ground.

What a game lads.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In resolution mode on a 1080 display, wouldn't it downsample from its native, highest resolution before checkboarding? I mean why would it need checkboard rendering if you're not on a 4k display.
No, it would downsample from checkerboard full res image, because the result of checkerboard rendering looks much better (has more actual pixel information) than the starting resolution.vWhat you are saying would hold true if the checkerboard process was a simple upscale from a single image, but it's not.

SDCowboy

As much as I love the game, one big complaint I have is how fruitless much of the exploration is. While there is plenty to be had, there is usually nothing to gain from it. Pretty much every time I venture off to explore buildings, there is absolutely nothing in there.

Best decision I made was making a majority of the HUD dynamic. It's been so long that I am waiting to go home from work and immediately play more of the game. I'll start walking towards a quest marker and then I see something else pop up on my compass and next thing ya know, it's been 3 hours and I'm finally getting back to the main quest marker. I love this game.

lionpants

Amazing game, and I still find myself stopping and just looking at certain scenery in shock at how great it looks.

Some minor things that annoy me so far though...

- The voice acting is pretty terrible for some NPCs. (some of their expressions are also hilarious, one NPC was talking while looking down, but her eyes were looking up at me - like an ashamed kinda emotion - but she looked possessed)
- Aloy always has a "I'm about to poop" face in cutscenes.
- Every so often the lip sync will totally break.
- Weird transitions and closeups that change the brightness of the whole screen when talking to NPCs.
- NO INVENTORY SORTING?!?!?!?!?!?!
- One of my side quests is broken and I can't turn it in.

And as much as people are saying... "HOW DARE YOU COMPARE THIS MASTER PIECE TO FAR CRY?!" - so far I can't really say they're wrong. Sure, the story is much more engaging and combat is better, but the core exploration/collectables/side quests scream Ubisoft.

- Radio towers [check]
- Base raids [check]
- Audio logs [check]
- Mini dungeons [check]
- Hunting areas for animals with very similar icons [check]
- Icon filled world map [check]
- Fetch quests [check]
- Shallow skill tree [check]
- Annoying inventory upgrades via crafting [check] (why is this a thing?)

List goes on.

I am not saying this is a bad thing though. I am just saying that people "defending" it are delusional.

DeaDPo0L84

Someone asked earlier but I didn't see it answered. Are power cells missable? Specifically the second one that is found within a main story quest. I really don't wanna redo 5 hours of gameplay...

Tubie

As much as I love the game, one big complaint I have is how fruitless much of the exploration is. While there is plenty to be had, there is usually nothing to gain from it. Pretty much every time I venture off to explore buildings, there is absolutely nothing in there.

Buy the special items maps from a merchant.

Watch the world fill up with stuff to collect.

If there's a sequel they need to flesh what you pointed out more and also the town's, Although there are many, there's not much you can do in them if there's not a quest there.

J1oqxmM.gif

Need to see the end of this Compy's fight.

On Very Hard, Ropecaster seems really good. It goes well with Crits and the "run away, run away" strategy.

I used whatever the thing is that slings bombs. Throw enough shock bombs to stun it then use the heavy attack over and over until the last opportunity then do a critical hit.

Rinse and repeat (surprised there's no stun cooldown)

Tripolygon

Banned
It's weird in 2017 to have a AAA game that lacks seamless camera transitions from cutscenes to gameplay. :/ Game feels great to play tho.
Not many games are able to pull that off as well as Uncharted 4. First time I noticed it was in Madagascar, as the characters enter the cutscene from their gameplay location.

Tyaren

I don't know about you guys but I haven't been using any mounts whatsoever. Traversing the world on foot is so satisfying in this game I don't even feel the need to use fast travel because I will miss a lot of resources on the way.

Same. I'm also hardly using fast travel. It's such a joy to traverse this world on foot and to notice something new each time. I never travel in a straight line, I always get distracted by something.

JJShadow

About to start this one, I'm so excited! Should I play on Normal or Hard? I like a fair amount of challenge but nothing too frustrating

pottuvoi

Banned
In resolution mode on a 1080 display, wouldn't it downsample from its native, highest resolution before checkboarding? I mean why would it need checkboard rendering if you're not on a 4k display.
There isn't resolution before checkerboarding, also the quality we get now is better as scaling is nice 4 pixels to one scaling/average.

hydruxo

About to start this one, I'm so excited! Should I play on Normal or Hard? I like a fair amount of challenge but nothing too frustrating

Start it on Hard. It's not that bad, really. Plus there aren't any difficulty related trophies so you can always bump it down if you need to.

LuuKyK

Hunting is all well and good, until you start needing skins to drop for crafting pouch upgrades.

I think I've only ever seen them drop outside of a 'collect' quest like once or twice.

There is a bow that shoots one specific kind of arrow that makes enemies drops rarer stuff IIRC. Should make things easier.

I think it's called resource ammo? something like that.

sora87

Doing like zero damage to this
sawtooth
thing, think i'll lower the difficulty cause the fight's just dragging out

fastmower

Question was that one side quest super early on about the outcast brother who hadn't returned yet, the one that was making people worried about the game pre-release?

Cause I didn't notice anything wrong with it.
I didn't have any problems with the Brom quest. I found it emotional.

nOoblet16

Buy the special items maps from a merchant.

Watch the world fill up with stuff to collect.
And then there are people hate Ubisoft games because of collectible...Hah

I said this yesterday, in order for me to explore a game world the game needs to have some sort of surprise element. Like you can stumble upon an area where you end up with a nice story about the area/community or a nice multi part quest rather than just 1-2 fetch quests. While someone else can completely miss it and the game is full of it which prints exploration. If a game doesn't have that then the only other thing that'd make me explore is if I can get equipments and abilities via dungeons and such which I might have missed had I not explored.

If it's just collectible then I won't explore the world. Doesn't mean I don't like the game, just that exploration feels redundant in that case as it's just one empty location to another that is only populated by enemies and collectibles.

Played too much NiOh recently. Switching from 60 fps to 30 fps is so hard on the eyes...
The game is still beautiful.
I played this right after I finished Nioh and it wasn't a big deal at all. In fact Guerilla implemented a very good use of motion blur. It's very pleasing.

anddo0

Can hunting ground trails be framed for skill points?

Also gotta praise this game's save system ; autosave is non-intrusive, quick and manual save are the fastest I've ever used in a console game.

Playing on hard seems about right to me.. Normal seems like it would be fun for a chill experience.

MaKTaiL

Doing like zero damage to this
sawtooth
thing, think i'll lower the difficulty cause the fight's just dragging out
Use the trip wire on the path he takes. Also try to shoot a fire arrow below his belly which will make the cannisters explode. One more thing to note as well: it takes a few shots for the elemental attack to actually trigger (you will notice a small circle that fills up everytime you shoot a fire arrow at him for example. Once the circle is full the fire damage will actually hurt the enemy you are hitting). The same.goes for shock and freeze damage.

Google

Got my copy yesterday and played for a couple of hours after I'd put the kid in bed.

I found the first 20-30 minutes pretty hard going. I didnt enjoy playing as 6 year old Aloy and found things pretty slow moving. However, as soon as she grows up and the first open world bit becomes available I started to enjoy things quite a lot more.

I got to level 6 before moving on with the main story and killing that buzz/sawblade (whatever it's called). Did I miss the tutorial on how to make traps? Because I had no idea how to kill that thing and just managed it with a smidgen of health left.

I'm enjoying the game and cant wait to get back into it tonight for a couple of hours.

I set up my Aloy statue last night. Told myself I'd try the game for like thirty minutes, ended up playing 4 hours and most of that time was spent tuning running around harassing robots.

Google

How does this thing look on the OG PS4 to you folks?

Great. Not a hint of slowdown or frame issues in the first couple of hours. Loading and saving are quick. I haven't seen what it looks like on a pro but so far I've had no cause for concern.

Mœbius

Can't wait to get home and play this more tonight!

I just got to
Meridian
and am really loving this so far. I'm glad I went in not seeing much pre-release content - I went in expecting something like Uncharted with some light RPG elements so it was a pleasant surprise to find that the RPG elements were much more core to the experience; it really feels to me like The Witcher 3 in terms of narrative, lore / world-building, and the strength of the side quests in accentuating those elements, but with a much more enjoyable movement and combat system.

Took some lovely shots in photo mode last night; will post those later!

I am not saying this is a bad thing though. I am just saying that people "defending" it are delusional.
I know what you're saying but I'd argue that the reason people are "defending" it is because the end result is different; yes it has those elements / boxes but as mentioned above the way Horizon's story presents these features / systems and incorporates them into the lore of the world results in a very different (and more engaging) experience compared to a game like FC (for me at least), where it feels less organic and more prescribed.

Not played Horizon yet (mine came today) but I've played 3 hours of Zelda on the Wii U so far and from the little I've seen of the game in my short time with it, the voice acting does the job but I've not seen a lot of it so far, this is not story heavy, at least at the start.

Gameplay is where Zelda really comes into it's own though, the world is one big sandbox and gives you a lot of freedom, kinda reminds me of MGS V, in just how fun the open world can be. The abilities you acquire are a lot of fun to use and can be openly used in the open world too, without going into too much detail.

Will have a better idea of how it compares to Horizon when I get home in a little while but from what I've seen, it looks a pretty different type of game to Horizon, with a big focus on survival and resource gathering.

Also the framerate is a little rough in places, on Wii U anyway but it never stopped me enjoying the game and it runs at 30fps, without dips in a lot of places too.
Tks for the impressions mate...funny enough I have the 'spiritual' predecessors to these games as well unopened lol.

Both MGSV and Witcher 3 are waiting for me to play for the first time. I hope playing Horizon and Zelda first doesn't spoil them too much lol.

Amazing game, and I still find myself stopping and just looking at certain scenery in shock at how great it looks.

Some minor things that annoy me so far though...

- The voice acting is pretty terrible for some NPCs. (some of their expressions are also hilarious, one NPC was talking while looking down, but her eyes were looking up at me - like an ashamed kinda emotion - but she looked possessed)
- Aloy always has a "I'm about to poop" face in cutscenes.
- Every so often the lip sync will totally break.
- Weird transitions and closeups that change the brightness of the whole screen when talking to NPCs.
- NO INVENTORY SORTING?!?!?!?!?!?!
- One of my side quests is broken and I can't turn it in.

And as much as people are saying... "HOW DARE YOU COMPARE THIS MASTER PIECE TO FAR CRY?!" - so far I can't really say they're wrong. Sure, the story is much more engaging and combat is better, but the core exploration/collectables/side quests scream Ubisoft.

- Radio towers [check]
- Base raids [check]
- Audio logs [check]
- Mini dungeons [check]
- Hunting areas for animals with very similar icons [check]
- Icon filled world map [check]
- Fetch quests [check]
- Shallow skill tree [check]
- Annoying inventory upgrades via crafting [check] (why is this a thing?)

List goes on.

Those things aren't inherently bad and they aren't exclusive to Ubisoft. It is about implementation.

For example, the "icon filled world map" can be adjusted.

Gotta say I don't particularly enjoy the 'young version of you' missions and it's a bit of a downer to start with that. But it grew on my by the latter part of that section. I gotta wait until tomorrow to play more, but I'm liking it...

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
So for 1080p Pro users its a minor graphical bump, better AA/image quality? Great that it runs flawless on both PS versions though!

Those things aren't inherently bad and they aren't exclusive to Ubisoft. It is about implementation.

For example, the "icon filled world map" can be adjusted.
Yea, first thing I adjusted was how much stuff is on screen. I took off health bar for aloy, compass, anything Quest/Exp bar and even the little bar that tells you how long your focus Last on arrows. It's made the game genuinely feel like I'm interacting with a painting, I'm much more focused on the combat and discovering things by hearing people shoot out for help and just exploring the map. I don't play many open worlds to be fair, but this game feels like nothing I've ever played before.

Nyx

Erm, how do I use the weapon mods?

See two open mod spots on my bow and I have 5 different mods in my inventory but I probably missed the tutorial on applying them to my weapons.

Tks for the impressions mate...funny enough I have the 'spiritual' predecessors to these games as well unopened lol.

Both MGSV and Witcher 3 are waiting for me to play for the first time. I hope playing Horizon and Zelda first doesn't spoil them too much lol.

Man, you have some big games to get through there but both great games too, enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom