• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this thing look on the OG PS4 to you folks?

I took this photo on the OG PS4 a few days ago:

i44qMYC.jpg

Safe to say, it looks pretty freaking amazing! If you have an OG PS4, there's no need for concern. You are in for a treat!

These past 2 days, I haven't done any missions. Just been roaming around for pictures, lol. So much fun!

Neoweee

Those things aren't inherently bad and they aren't exclusive to Ubisoft. It is about implementation.

For example, the "icon filled world map" can be adjusted.

It is about quality. Horizon's claim to fame will be the consistency of the quality, while offering the player a bit less freedom. Combat is fun. Exploration is fun. Cutscenes are good. Dialogue is good. Pretty. Good music.

It has a checklist of Open-World tropes, but doesn't beat them into the ground.

The loot and upgrade system is actually good, too! Bethesda/Bioware/CDPR/Ubisoft kind of fumble those mechanics.

Erm, how do I use the weapon mods?

See two open mod spots on my bow and I have 5 different mods in my inventory but I probably missed the tutorial on applying them to my weapons.
Go to Crafting/Modify Weapons. Choose the weapon and itll have a slot to fill in.

Ethelwulf

That moment when you come home from work and your girlfriend acts suspiciously, tells you to sit down and the game is in front of the TV. This girl... Now to play :)

Tyaren

So for 1080p Pro users its a minor graphical bump, better AA/image quality? Great that it runs flawless on both PS versions though!

The 4K mode also has crisper, more detailed textures and better texture filtering. Anisotropic filtering is imo something that makes a pretty big difference in how a game looks.
Ground textures turning into slush just a few feet away is a pet peeve of mine.

jaaz

I didn't have any problems with the Brom quest. I found it emotional.

I found that whole Brom criticism was blown way out of proportion, and taken completely out of context. When you actually do the quest, you find out that the guy has
severe mental health issues
, and realize that's why his dialogue is the way it is.

PrinceKee

Game is excellent so far but the font size is way too small on pretty much everything. More incentive to go minimal hud I guess.

The font size is way too small. I'm sick of games making the font size so small. It's small on my 60" TV in the family room and when I try to relax and play in the bed at night on my 32" it's unreadable. Loving the game so far though...

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Just noticed I didn't get the trophy for beating the Sawtooth in the beginning of the game and I'm well beyond that point.

Bug?

Can you unlock the OP Shield-Weaver armor where you need to get all the power cells at any part of the game? I'm about 8-10 hours into the game. Thinking about taking the time to get it, is it possible or do you have to progress further in the game to get it?

I was going to play this game for about 30 min just to see how it is, but then i ended up playing it for 5 hours straight.

-Right off the bat the game looks stunning. Probably the best looking open world game i've ever played. This game wowed me more than uncharted 4 (uncharted 4 got better facial animation though.) Sometimes i had to stop and just look around to admire the environment.

- I really enjoy the gameplay mechanics a lot. There's a lot of games out there that give you tons of gadgets and weapons, and sometimes they just end up being fillers that you would rarely use. With this game, I find myself switching back and forth a lot of weapons and gadgets while fighting robots to defeat them. It feels very satisfying.

- The story is engaging. It's one of the game's strongest point , and i can't wait to see what's gonna happen.

My only minor complain so far would be that there's some lip syncing issues, and it would have been cool if they would have had a lock on system, but it's no biggie.

Turned off the enemy stealth indicators. GG did a fantastic job with the ememy tells. I feel like I'm not missing out on anything at all with the information off.

Tyaren

Yep. I'm attached to my robo horse now and i don't want him to fight alongside with me in battle so he won't die lol

This reminds me of one of your FFXV's gifs

AccurateUniformHoneybadger.gif

Horizon Zero Dawn's world is the world that I had hoped FFXV had.
Sheer size and still extreme detail, visiting many different regions with unique cultures and towns. Last but not least an interesting lore that really makes the world come alive, making me care about it.

Turned off the enemy stealth indicators. GG did a fantastic job with the ememy tells. I feel like I'm not missing out on anything at all with the information off.
There's too much going on in the HUD...just read up something:
"Switching it off will let you see the glorious visuals far better, and if you miss the HUD, all you have to do is rest your thumb on the touchpad to bring it back up."
Going to try today.

Been playing for about an hour now, loving what I'm seeing.

The whole game is graphically great but the foliage and hair physics are like another generation.

Been messing around in the starting area but I love the mechanics so far, running and jumping feel weighty, melee and ranged have nice feedback, not too much wind up on animations, really responsive controls on the whole. Been having just as much fun hunting critters (rabbits / foxes etc) as the robots, and I think that's a good sign

I love just running around and shooting geese out of the air and shit lol, it really scratches my Red Dead Redemption itch.

pro tip; dont forget about your spear, it's heavy attack wrecks shit, and it's easy to close range on account of the really responsive dodging

And then there are people hate Ubisoft games because of collectible...Hah

I said this yesterday, in order for me to explore a game world the game needs to have some sort of surprise element. Like you can stumble upon an area where you end up with a nice story about the area/community or a nice multi part quest rather than just 1-2 fetch quests. While someone else can completely miss it and the game is full of it which prints exploration. If a game doesn't have that then the only other thing that'd make me explore is if I can get equipments and abilities via dungeons and such which I might have missed had I not explored.

If it's just collectible then I won't explore the world. Doesn't mean I don't like the game, just that exploration feels redundant in that case as it's just one empty location to another that is only populated by enemies and collectibles.

But it's not just collectibles, that's your problem, you're not exploring. I've found some interesting sidequests by exploring. I found the Banuk tribe all on my own by exploring. I mean if you don't explore, don't expect to find these things. A bunch of people in here have already told you that they found interesting sidequests by exploring, if you refuse to do it that's your thing, but don't try to act like they're not there.

HeelPower

Does the game offer viable melee options in combat ?

I know the bow is the main attraction ,but I am not a huge fan of shooting tbh.So I was wondering if the game has melee options too.

lionpants

I know the bow is the main attraction ,but I am not a huge fan of shooting tbh.So I was wondering if the game has melee options too.
Melee is pretty much required in half, if not more of the cases.

Certain machines need to be hit with certain ammunition to efficiently dispatch them though. So far from my experience, you could melee everything to death although inefficient.

Ardenyal

Hunting for hours now. Figuring out weak points for various robots and getting into trouble when messing up shots. This game is so much fun just to wander around in.

wapplew

Melee is OP against smaller robot, act as critical hit when enemy is down or stealth back stab.

R1 light attack R2 strong attack, it's not really extensive. There are jump attacks as well, and stealth attacks, but the meat of this game is shooting the bow, if you don't like that I don't think you will enjoy this game too much.

Was able to find time between my babies to play for about an hour. So far the story got me interested. Still in tutorial but got damn this game looks crazy on my LG oled with hdr!!!! Can't wait to find time to play tonight.

There's too much going on in the HUD...just read up something:
"Switching it off will let you see the glorious visuals far better, and if you miss the HUD, all you have to do is rest your thumb on the touchpad to bring it back up."
Going to try today.

Mine is set to dynamic with quest and waypoint pathfinding off. I also have the compass, enemy awareness, stealth symbol and quest trackers set to off.

It's been working out pretty good so far.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Is the shadow hunter bow worth it? I'll be poor on metal shards tho

Just depends on what type of ammo you prefer. They differ between bows, so focus on that.

I switch between a shortbow and a longbow for different ammo types.

Is the shadow hunter bow worth it? I'll be poor on metal shards tho

I believe that's the one with Tear Arrows, so yes it's worth it. Shoot one of those arrows and watch armor get torn apart, so satisfying. Also adds resource arrows and precision arrows. Those are all crafted using different components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom