• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
In what sense?

Structure mostly. The focus being their version of witcher tracking too, which I didn't even like having to do in Witcher.

I'm also having a really hard job not hating every single character in this game. I rarely skip dialogue, but this game is testing my patience. All the characters seem very fake, not authentic to the setting and just feel like actors placed in the setting.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Structure mostly. The focus being their version of witcher tracking too, which I didn't even like having to do in Witcher.

I also having a really hard job not hating every single character in this game. I rarely skip dialogue, but this game is testing my patience. All the characters seem very fake, not authentic to the setting and just feel like actors placed in the setting.

There's supposedly a reason that's explained for why everyone speaks like current day people.

Kremzeek

As much as I love the game, one big complaint I have is how fruitless much of the exploration is. While there is plenty to be had, there is usually nothing to gain from it. Pretty much every time I venture off to explore buildings, there is absolutely nothing in there.

yeah it's pretty disappointing. but if they went the Tomb Raider route and left collectibles everywhere that would be annoying too.

V3rt1go

Guys, anyone found a girl named Talanah that gives you a quest line?

There is a bug and when I talk to her after I completed the Quest, she tells me I did it but then strolls around and the notification and rewards won't show up.

There is also another quest (Death from Above) that seems to have a bug and won't leto you finish it.

I can't get the trophy related to Talanah because of this.

I was literally forcing myself to play Witcher 3 - don't get me wrong - the game is well done, but the clunky ass controls and awful combat were really keeping me from getting hooked.

This game... I'm at work and all I can think about is playing when I get home.

Yea The Witcher 3 at a point felt like a chore at a certain point. So many side quests with clunky controls. This is just so buttery.

Just depends on what type of ammo you prefer. They differ between bows, so focus on that.

I switch between a shortbow and a longbow for different ammo types.

I believe that's the one with Tear Arrows, so yes it's worth it. Shoot one of those arrows and watch armor get torn apart, so satisfying. Also adds resource arrows and precision arrows. Those are all crafted using different components.

I see, the only difference I see is the extra modification slot.

Ferrio

Banned
There's supposedly a reason that's explained for why everyone speaks like current day people.

I thought they might pull something to explain it, it's why I'm trying to reserve my judgement. I'll keep dialogue trees to a minimal in the meantime.

black070

I think Horizon Zero Dawn definitively marks the end to the 'GG can't make a good game' narrative. They knocked it out of the park with this one.

Level 15.
Just a few more than I'm going back for the bubble-butt robot.

Are there anymore caves so I can override more powerful enemies? Aloy keeps talking about it but I havent seen any other caves other than that SIGMA one.

Kind of wish there was an online mode where you could roll with a online tribe.

Bucca

I see, the only difference I see is the extra modification slot.

Yeah, look at the bottom of the info page to see the different arrow icons.

Each one has a different purpose, except for the Precision arrow, which is basically just a stronger basic arrow.

Jobbs

Banned
On a 1080p display and I can't tell the difference between high frame rate and high res mode. Both seem to look and perform the same.

Been playing for roughly 5 jours and this game is amazing!!! Just got to the "proving" as i been wondering around doing side quests and killing stuff to upgrade my inventory pouches.

But when are you able to access all the pre-order/ collector's edition DLC?

Edit: Just found out

Aim assist on or off? Played the opening with it off and found it surprisingly difficult. I don't want easy auto-aim so please tell me that with it on, it isn't too easy.

Bucca

Aim assist on or off? Played the opening with it off and found it surprisingly difficult. I don't want easy auto-aim so please tell that with it on, it isn't too easy.

It isn't too easy.

It helps a lot without being an autowin button. Just try it out.

antitrop

Been playing for roughly 5 jours and this game is amazing!!! Just got to the "proving" as i been wondering around doing side quests and killing stuff to upgrade my inventory pouches.

But when are you able to access all the pre-order/ collector's edition DLC?
Check the "Special Items" tab when you find your first Merchant. He has a bunch of treasure boxes that contain the pre-order items.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I can't stop thinking about this game guys!

I feel like this might end up being one of my favorite games of all time. About 8-9 hours in. I am a self proclaimed graphics whore. No shame, I admit it, and this game does things to me man. Just walking around, looking around the environment brings me so much joy. It is an absolute wonder to look at. The fact that the combat, gameplay and even the story is soooo good so far too is blowing my mind.

I sincerely believe this is the best looking game of all time. I want to shake the hand of each artist at GG and thank them and ask them how the fuck they did this and pretend I understand their answer lol. I am just so beyond impressed.

Was up until 3:00am playing it last night. So tired right now, but it was so worth it.

Aim assist on or off? Played the opening with it off and found it surprisingly difficult. I don't want easy auto-aim so please tell me that with it on, it isn't too easy.

How far are you? As soon as you unlock your abilities, there's one that gives you effectively "bullet time" when aiming for a short time that might help to line up trickier shots.

I'm playing with it off and haven't run into too many issues yet...

antitrop

This game might have the most intrusive UI of any I've ever played. Just awful. Think I'm just going to turn it all off.

I like Dynamic HUD. Pretty much everything disappears, except the compass at the top, and you can just put your finger on the touchpad to bring the full HUD back up for a second.

It's almost like bullet magnetism in a game like Halo. Get close enough, and the arrow will sort of "find" it's target. It's pretty unnoticeable most of the time, but after a while I turned it off because I like the challenge (and there are plenty of bullet time options).

hwalker84

Question

When in the store buying items how can you compare them against what you current have in your inventory to make sure they're even worth your money?

O_Atoll

This game is incredible so far. Only 3 hours in though. Wow the production, graphics in an open world game. How the hell did they pull this off?

Bucca

Question

When in the store buying items how can you compare them against what you current have in your inventory to make sure they're even worth your money?

I don't think you can, which is an annoyance of mine with this game.

I've had to switch back and forth to the Sell screen to look at my equipment to compare.

NeonBlack

It's almost like bullet magnetism in a game like Halo. Get close enough, and the arrow will sort of "find" it's target. It's pretty unnoticeable most of the time, but after a while I turned it off because I like the challenge (and there are plenty of bullet time options).

So that curving arrow I saw wasn't a bug.

PepperedHam

I'm not sure if this is major or not but this seems like something I would consider spoiler tag territory. Even if it doesn't give anything explicitly away, knowing something like this kind of bugs me now.

Dynamic HUD with most stuff off highlights a strength of the game that I haven't seen mentioned much. The world is so unique and really well designed so far in terms of its landmass design and the space you occupy. I pretty much had the layout down pat in the beginning area real quick and really haven't had much trouble navigating the world around me.

Even small things like elevation changes help accentuate the difference between where you have been and where you haven't.

Jobbs

Banned
I think Horizon Zero Dawn definitively marks the end to the 'GG can't make a good game' narrative. They knocked it out of the park with this one.

I like Aloy but I'd be lying if I said I haven't been making fun of the dumb story through most of it so far.

I think the early game was compelling and her desire to belong was relatable.. but the story is just packed with cliche after cliche to the point of being comical

Bucca

So outfits to me seem pretty much just cosmetic.

The stats aren't all that, except for like the Stealth/Resistance to Melee one, and the only difference is the amount of mod slots they offer.

Think I'll just pick whichever one I think looks best and go with that.

The1Ski

I played the intro with my infant daughter sleeping on my chest. I feel like I instantly bonded with Aloy.

I have a one year old daughter and when
young
Aloy offered those
berries to the old woman
I was just thinking "take them you cold bitch!"

Rixxan

The fucking Fire Bellowback in the first Cualdron is kicking my ass !

Sigh, not a big deal to just throw a spoiler tag on this please

It's like, I'm saved right outside the cauldron - and now I know there's fire bellowbacks in that bitch

And it's not a big deal, but at the same time cmon

Eh, many of us knew better anyway, especially after Killzone 2.

The biggest thing they haven't been able to do was craft a story, which thankfully they found outside help for this one. Picking the lead creative director on Fallout: NV was an inspired choice, and it sounds like it paid off.

CHC

I really HATE having to hold the button to loot. Why do games do this shit? The Division, this, so many others. It's a complete waste of time, worst trend this gen easily.

Hey guys... I started playing last night. I'm maybe an hour or so in and I'm playing on normal. I think I've done 2 quests. It seems a little easy so far. Does it get more challenging the further I get into the game or do I need to change to hard?

CHC

It takes less than a second...

But it's still just really annoying to do and has literally no purpose. It's not like looting is such a committed, unusual act that it would be bad if I accidentally did it.... it just achieves nothing other than making the controls feel so much less immediate and responsive.

I really HATE having to hold the button to loot. Why do games do this shit? The Division, this, so many others. It's a complete waste of time, worst trend this gen easily.

Probably because of combat. Accidental interruptions during the flow of combat could be problematic.

AEREC

I found that whole Brom criticism was blown way out of proportion, and taken completely out of context. When you actually do the quest, you find out that the guy has
severe mental health issues
, and realize that's why his dialogue is the way it is.

The voice acting for Brom was still bad. Felt like I was playing a Bioware game for a moment.

breakfuss

Yea, the game is a technical marvel but what impresses me the most is just how well written it is. Of course I'm not very far into it so there's still a chance the plot will careen off a cliff but so far I'm hooked. I want and NEED to know where this is all going. One of my biggest issues with the Killzone series was just how little I cared for the story (even though it had tons of potential). Props to GG for stepping up in this respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom