• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

AFAIK, (keeping things vague) you need to have a certain level of main story progress, then it will show up in (at least some, if not all) merchants.

But yeah, you need the fox skin to 'trade' to acquire it, which I have not had luck in finding, lol.

There is.
ah cool. I will make sure not to sell one if I have one, and continue progressing.

And the best part is, GG designed them the way they are for good reasons. They're not arbitrary.

Everything in this game was carefully thought out. Does this make sense? What will the player think and feel when they reach this?

Mind you, the melee combat is tepid, but maybe they didn't spend a lot of time on it because they wanted to focus on other things, so they simply made it serviceable. Idk

The melee combat is still a step up from similar open world games (not sure if FFXV counts but I do enjoy the battle system there), and I feel it doesn't need to be super complex because they want you to focus on archery, sneak kills and traps. It may be the most underdeveloped part of the game but I find myself unable to see that as a real negative when everything else like you said is so well thought out and executed.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hmm...so the only missable trophy seems to the one that
requires you to choose 'heart' in most if not all instances. (Unconfirmed if other selections do render it missable yet though, but there is large speculation it does right now.)

Just found out you can just jump on top of people and no one gives a damn, I've been making a game to hop across crowds like stones in a river.

xviper

You get better bows from buying them .
That is also how you get access to different amo types for weapons .

i'm really disappointed in the loot system

it's exactly like Far cry but worse

you can't explore and find rare gears, nope, you have to buy them which means you have to farm for shards

do you recommend any good Bows like the beginning one ?? i'm level 25 and struggled at a level 12 main mission, i need to upgrade my gear

you can't explore and find rare gears, nope, you have to buy them which means you have to farm for shards

do you recommend any good Bows like the beginning one ?? i'm level 25 and struggled at a level 12 main mission, i need to upgrade my gear

Better equipment is found the further west you travel, different areas of the map unlock better gear.

Lucreto

How does the game run on PS4 Pro?

The recent FFXV pro patch makes it run like a jet engine after about 30 minutes. It'd the first game to do that.

I am wondering if this will do the same.

ZetaEpyon

Man, playing this on a PS4 Pro and OLED is just absolutely stunning.

Most of the time it simply looks fantastic, though clearly still a game, but there have been a couple occasions where the lighting ended up just perfect, and it seriously looked like an actual video recording - particulary when focusing more on Aloy from the back. A very surreal experience!

So far I've just been putzing around working my way towards the Proving. I'm probably overleveled at this point, but hunting little stuff and even picking resources is just really satisfying to me.

The recent FFXV pro patch makes it run like a jet engine after about 30 minutes. It'd the first game to do that.

Looks and feels absolutely fantastic in 4k mode, and I've only heard the Pro's fan when cranking up effects in photo mode.

CHC

Yo these hit boxes are insane.... I just had a Strider do a buck-kick over my tripwire trap. Like damn, man.... I can't say shit about that.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The biggest thing they haven't been able to do was craft a story, which thankfully they found outside help for this one. Picking the lead creative director on Fallout: NV was an inspired choice, and it sounds like it paid off.

They crafted a story with Killzone. Just because everyone didn't like it doesn't mean they didn't create one. They've just done a much better job with Horizon in that regard.

I feel like I got Ubi'ed in regards to combat. Armor destruction feels very low impact damage wise and the visual impact seems to amount to purple glowy bits for a short time? I dunno, it just hasn't felt too good so far and the Dino's and humans also don't seem to get impacted much by weapons damage.

Feels very bullet spongey rather than strategic the way I hoped armor destruction would.

Hmm can't say that I agree, there are specific parts you hit to take down the health of an enemy significantly. I would give examples off the top of my head but I don't want to spoil anything.

breakfuss

I agree with this SO much! I am blown away by the set up and mystery surrounding this world. I can't wait to find out what caused the apocolypse, where these machines came from, the mystery regarding Aloy's mother, etc. So many interesting questions so far.

Early mission spoiler

The scene after the proving where Aloy wakes up inside of the mountain and the Matriarch lady believes it's the All Mother but really just old human technology was done so well imo. When the mountain speaks to Aloy and the Matriarch interprets it like it's some sort of divine being was really cool. Loved that scene a lot.

Funny you mention that scene because so far it's probably my favorite as well! Although I have to admit I'm pretty irritated with how primative and superstitious their thinking is. "Oh come on, it's a freaking AI!!" is what I kept yelling at the screen but, again, that's just a sign of strong writing on GG's part. I hope the story ends up delivering as much as it seems it will.

The Lamp

I can't decide which is worse.

Waiting for Zelda/Switch launch or waiting for people here to reach end game so we can discuss in the spoiler thread

Sulik2

Uh, I know people said this game had a good character and story. But in the first hour I got a little tickle in my throat when they showed
Rost looking proud watching Aloy growing up.
I cannot wait to play more.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Blew off working this morning to play some more since I barely started last night. Mostly just did a couple of side quests and part of a main quest in the initial area post-intro.

Really blown away with it so far. Game looks incredible, plays great, story is impressive so far---especially with the Witcher 3 level of story in sidequests.

Had to come in for a meeting at 3, can't wait to get that over with and get back home and play more!

I played for about 2 hours straight and didn't notice any increase in fan noise etc. on my Pro. Playing in resolution mode.

I haven't played FFXV since the Pro patch, so not sure if mine ramps up there or not yet. I didn't really in the 73 hours I put into it around launch though.

The draw distance in this game is absolutely insane. I can see the Thunderjaw walking out in the distance and Stormbird flying even further from me and I'm really far away.

Waiting for Zelda/Switch launch or waiting for people here to reach end game so we can discuss in the spoiler thread

My scenario: waiting for Amazon to get new stock of Switch so I can buy it and then wait for it to get delivered. T_T

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
PS4 Pro user here on 1080 set.

Only time I ever hear the fan kickup NOTICEABLY is on the map screen. I can hear it really ramp up as soon as I open it, and then die back down when I close it.

The Lamp

Uh, I know people said this game had a good character and story. But in the first hour I got a little tickle in my throat when they showed
Rost looking proud watching Aloy growing up.
I cannot wait to play more.

I have one complaint about that section of the story and the first couple of hours story once the world "opens up":
I have a feeling they could have handled the bond between Rost and Aloy even more emotionally than they ultimately did, including Rose's fate, ala Joel and his daughter in TLOU. Nothing like TLOU has made me feel as much empathy for a father-daughter relationship in 20 minutes like that.

xviper

How are ppl experience PS4 fan noise levels for this game?

Is it Uncharted 4 levels?

i'm actually surprised that my ps4 is quiet while playing the game, it looks so damn good, not as good as Uncharted 4 of course but for an open world game that's very impressive

They crafted a story with Killzone. Just because everyone didn't like it doesn't mean they didn't create one. They've just done a much better job with Horizon in that regard.

Sorry, craft a "good" story, is what I was implying. They've always been great on setting, and decent on plot, but the actual stories have been kinda garbage. And I say that as someone who loves Killzone 2.

The weapon system is great .
It mean you can't really over level your character in certain ways .

mf.luder

One thing I've noticed and I don't like it.

The icon on the map correlates to the camera, not to the direction that Aloy is facing. This took some getting used to when I first began playing.

requires you to choose 'heart' in most if not all instances. (Unconfirmed if other selections do render it missable yet though, but there is large speculation it does right now.)

Source? I know a friend who wanted to platinum this before playing Zelda but he's only chosen the brain option so far for everything.

Carcetti

Source? I know a friend who wanted to platinum this before playing Zelda but he's only chosen the brain option so far for everything.

Pretty sure but not confirmed that it means you have to (end game spoilers)
do every sidequest you can before Looming Shadow since the text reads 'considering Aloy's choices'

I often did not
choose the Heart options
and still got that trophy just by completing a ton of side quests. There's a LOT of misinformation about that trophy floating around. I have the Platinum and simply
cleaned up a bunch of side quests after not seeing the trophy pop on my first finish.

Bought the game last night at Best Buy. Installed it and updated it.

The deal was, I will play the game after the Kentucky vs Vanderbilt game on ESPN. Game was on at 9pm, so I should be gaming at 11pm.

Around 10:30pm, a huge storm sweeps through the midwest, and my power goes out, for like 4 hours straight. Never got to start the game or play at all, lol. So yeah, those are my impressions right now lol.

Talk about Zero Luck!

ajanke

Just posted something in the spoiler thread. I just didn't read a thing until I got to the bottom of the page. LOL.

The Goat

Enjoying the game so far. Although
I hate the opening with a passion. I never want to play as a kid in a game again, unless that's the protagonist from the start. Man, it was absolutely awful, and almost turned me off the the game. Thankfully, its over pretty quickly

Combat is what keeps pulling me back and has me itching to keep going. The story, so far, hasn't piqued my attention, but its not annoying at least. My biggest gripes are how bad the facial animation is, and no preroll on cloth or fx when it switches to a cutscene/convo. Really distracting. You have these (mostly) gorgeous character models, and then slap on some poorly executed facial animation?! I'm sure it was a time constraint/tech issue, but it really lowers the overall quality of the game from the animation side.

How are you guys handling side quests/errands? Are you doing them before/after main quest or just completely avoiding them and doing mainly the main quests?

I want to know the best way to play this.

antitrop

How are you guys handling side quests/errands? Are you doing them before/after main quest or just completely avoiding them and doing mainly the main quests?

I do whatever quest is closest to my current level.

It's been a nice balance, doesn't feel like too much story at one time, and doesn't feel like too much time running around doing side stuff.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Sorry, craft a "good" story, is what I was implying. They've always been great on setting, and decent on plot, but the actual stories have been kinda garbage. And I say that as someone who loves Killzone 2.

I disagree that Killzone 2's story was garbage. It's just not one of the top-tier plots in gaming (which is okay).

Horizon is good in its own right, regardless of what Killzone's goal was.

The best way is not to neglect the main quest or the side quests. Do it 50/50. You should never focus your attention on one thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom