• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Melchiah

I think that trial, and a lot of others, it's realizing that the rules are not very strict at all (for example, only one of the 'stealth' hunting trials requires you to be stealthy in any shape or form). I got that one by critical striking one glinthawk twice after I downed it, and that counted as 2 glinthawks. Also, you can straight up die and fulfil the objectives, so playing defense isn't that key a lot of times. I finish the first trial at those hunting ground while being trampled to death by a Trampler and got a Blazing Sun.

The only one I found to be truly difficult was the Stalker one at the stealth hunting ground because it's so hard to find the second Stalker after you create a ruckus killing the first one. I did it probably 5 or 6 times in a row before catching the glimmer of it's stealth camo in the distance immediately and being able to fire off a perfect Tearblast Arrow to knock it's stealth camo out.

I have one trial left that I tried once last night before going to bed, and that's the final one with the Thunderjaw and Ravagers.

Here's how I did mine (hard difficulty):

- Parts wrangling trial: Use the tearblaster shotgun, you don't really have to aim, just tie down a Trampler and let rip, you should be able to tear off all the components in one tie down cycle.

- Pace trial: Climb two of the platforms to get to the Watchers, and then run to the middle of the arena where there's a third Watcher (don't go to the third platform, there's not enough time). Don't bother killing anything. Use fire arrows (with fire mods) to trigger the burning state on Glinthawks when they reach your Watcher to make them go away before it picks up the Watcher corpses.

- Tie down trial: Same as before, use fire arrows to trigger the burning state, this brings the Glinthawks to the ground. Then hit them with the ropecaster. Don't actually attack them once they're tied down, as they can escape and you may be able to tie them down again (which counts towards the goal).

I did find these difficult initially but once you have better gear (and most importantly, good mods), they're a lot easier.

Thanks for the tips! I hadn't thought about doing them that way. I have +40% mods, and all the Shadow gear from Meridian, so I'll give the trials another go with these tips in mind.

Venture

Just now killed a Broadhead and got a trophy for some reason. I check my stats and it's the first one I've ever killed. Over 140 hours of playing. I had no idea.

Drek

The game is fantastic, but I think they made some mistakes with how much side content and icon spam they throw at the player within the first few hours. Combined with the brainless stealth combat on normal, it really did the game a disservice in its earlier hours for me. Stick with it until you get through the 12-15ish story quests and practice combat at the first couple hunting lodges, I think it gets much better after that.

The icon spam is largely a product of buying the maps for each given area though, something technically optional, though I agree that offering world-encompassing flower, vessel, banuk, vantage, and tallneck maps almost from the jump for a token cost was a poor choice.

I'd much rather the tallneck be something you need to discover entirely on your own, not like they're easy to miss if you just look around a bit, with vantages for each area revealing with the tallneck map expansion. Then if you do both tallneck and vantage it unlocks the rest, or alternatively then sell full world maps for the rest from the specific vendors in Meridian who care about those items.

I personally liked the rest of the transition from the Sacred Lands into the world proper, but sure, throwing a level 8 story quest as a hook or a comparable quest that then completes in Meridian just as you're leaving would have probably given it a better overall feel to the pacing as otherwise it is pretty easy to go get lost machine/cauldron hunting until you finally wind your way back at level 25 or 30.

Roufianos

I've decided to throw in the towel. I loved the opening and the story / aesthetics are absolutely incredible.

Something's just off though. I don't really enjoy the combat and I'm just sick of the slow pace of open world games.

I found that I was forcing myself to play it and that's something I'm trying to stop.

Minor complaint but how come there is no button to maintain the speed of your mount?

It is really annoying that your mount decreases the pace every 7 seconds or so.

Hey.

Let's say you examine a beast and its weakness has the shield icon with a crack in it.... or it has an arrow icon.

Can someone explain what this means?

If it's the shield do you keep shooting tear arrows at that bit?

If it's the arrow do you keep shooting hardpoint arrows at that bit?

Alpende

Can I buy animal resources from a vendor? I need quite a few for upgrades.

Hey.

Let's say you examine a beast and its weakness has the shield icon with a crack in it.... or it has an arrow icon.

Can someone explain what this means?

If it's the shield do you keep shooting tear arrows at that bit?

If it's the arrow do you keep shooting hardpoint arrows at that bit?

I think you got it. I believe on one of the menu screens you can see what each icon means so you can figure out which arrows you have to use.

The lovely folks at GG sent my housemate this:

KUTW2U2.jpg

The kicker is none of us have a PS4. With all the exclusives I'm interested in I really should pick one up.

I'm only a few hours into the game (been doing a lot of side-quests, I love that even errands have cutscene beats built into them), but one thing that's been bugging me a little is the
"Capitalism run amok" backstory that the data entries I've found imply.
Not that I think it's beyond reproach or anything, but the idea that people would go around callings themselves 'Rationalist Capitalists' (Did Objectivism come into fashion 50 years or something) or say that someone 'died defending free markets' is so silly to me it borders on parody. I mean, I sort of get the feeling there was a near-apocalypse in the 2030s that upended the world order, but I feel that some of the backstory stuff is a bit too didactic, as much as I'm enjoying the tribal society stuff of the present.

I'm only a few hours into the game (been doing a lot of side-quests, I love that even errands have cutscene beats built into them), but one thing that's been bugging me a little is the
"Capitalism run amok" backstory that the data entries I've found imply.
Not that I think it's beyond reproach or anything, but the idea that people would go around callings themselves 'Rationalist Capitalists' (Did Objectivism come into fashion 50 years or something) or say that someone 'died defending free markets' is so silly to me it borders on parody. I mean, I sort of get the feeling there was a near-apocalypse in the 2030s that upended the world order, but I feel that some of the backstory stuff is a bit too didactic, as much as I'm enjoying the tribal society stuff of the present.

Wait a minute aren't
all Americans currently massive Randians? I think it's just a European perspective of a possible American future, where even in the present day capitalism looks like a religion

Hah, I just found Geralt, or rather a random NPC voiced by Doug Cockle doing the Geralt voice. It was on an early Meridian quest called "Honour the Fallen"; he was hanging around the Shrine I convinced a Sun Priest to leave, and I immediately snapped around to find him the moment I heard that voice :p

Wait a minute aren't
all Americans currently massive Randians? I think it's just a European perspective of a possible American future, where even in the present day capitalism looks like a religion

If that's the case I feel like it's a matter of ignorance of why America is the way it is. (And I'm hoping you're joking about that Randian comment)

Plus I tend to roll my eyes when a product of a corporation involves a 'corporations man' message.

shiba5

Anybody know a good spot to find geese?

Back in the beginning of the game when you climb up that cliff to find Odd Grata's prayer beads there are a bunch. When you get to the rope slide, don't cross over to where they are (and where the beads were) though. Shoot them from a distance or lob bombs at them. I've gotten four at once. Then just reload at a fire and repeat if needed.

I don't like the rope weapons, I know both are useful but just don't like using weapons like that for some reason, feel like there are too many weapon types, little confusing.

EGM1966

Just started. What is the minimum hud settings I can use without being frustrated
I'd recommend turning everything off. You don't really need the HUD. The single touch on pad to bring up the hud works a treat for dispensing with it.

The game looks too good to have a HD over it IMHO.

GeoramA

The Platinum theme is okay. Wish the background was a little darker, can't stand when they're too bright.

Hope Truant Pixel makes a Horizon theme soon.

cool so that's a thing, huh.

The Platinum theme is okay. Wish the background was a little darker, can't stand when they're too bright.

Hope Truant Pixel makes a Horizon theme soon.

and i agree with this, a night time theme with some thunderjaws prowling and stalkers reappearing and clocking back in

They seriously need to improve the AI for Stormbirds.

They should be one of the most fun to fight but most fights with them in the wild end up with me giving up because they fly up too high for me to reach and just repeatedly do their electro ball attack. No matter what I do, they just don't come down - feels borderline broken.

So did you guys know that the machines evolve after you kill a certain number of them? Because I didn't.
If you kill 5 Watchers, you will start seeing armored ones. If you kill 1 Rockbreaker, they become armored. I never even noticed!

I was wondering why snapmaws suddenly had protective covers on their blaze canisters. Nice.

Zackat

They should be one of the most fun to fight but most fights with them in the wild end up with me giving up because they fly up too high for me to reach and just repeatedly do their electro ball attack. No matter what I do, they just don't come down - feels borderline broken.

shoot a few tear arrows into their chest

Never had that issue. Stormbird fights are so fun. I try to rope them down early in the fight and hit that chest cannon with tear and hard point arrows first.

RPGCrazied

And finished! Right at 40 hours. This probably will be my GOTY unless something comes out and overtakes it, so far nothing comes close this year. The only things that really bothered me was loading times and I wish there were more side quests, unless I missed some somewhere.

And the after credits scene, so I guess that is where they are going for in the upcoming DLC.

GeeTeeCee

Hah, I just found Geralt, or rather a random NPC voiced by Doug Cockle doing the Geralt voice. It was on an early Meridian quest called "Honour the Fallen"; he was hanging around the Shrine I convinced a Sun Priest to leave, and I immediately snapped around to find him the moment I heard that voice :p

Thank you! I ran into the exact same NPC with his voice today (multiple NPCs, in fact), and trying to figure out where I knew the voice from was driving me crazy. I can't believe that I didn't realise it was Geralt, even after putting 150+ hours into The Witcher 3.

That's been bothering me all day.

bunkitz

I think I recall a vantage point early in the game has a flock of geese at the top. Other than that they're usually near water along the banks of rivers and lakes.

Back in the beginning of the game when you climb up that cliff to find Odd Grata's prayer beads there are a bunch. When you get to the rope slide, don't cross over to where they are (and where the beads were) though. Shoot them from a distance or lob bombs at them. I've gotten four at once. Then just reload at a fire and repeat if needed.

Cool, thanks! Will have to look up Odd Grata's location, though...

Late game question

The attack on the Spire and Meridian is about to happen, but the I'd like to get the armor which needs 5 power cells, is it worth to get it before starting the war?

Top Bottom