• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Wowowow loving this game so far. Thanks for the recommendations, it really is as good as everyone has been saying.

Any beginner tips? I just became
a seeker

Any useful skills or other stuff? And is steath kinda OP? That combined with whistling makes it kinda easy so far.

Man I'm playing on a regular PS4 and wow at the graphics, really really good.

Zackat

Wowowow loving this game so far. Thanks for the recommendations, it really is as good as everyone has been saying.

a seeker

Any useful skills or other stuff? And is steath kinda OP? That combined with whistling makes it kinda easy so far.

in the early game stealth is strong against machines. later in the game it is still really good, but you won't destroy everything with a stealth shot like you are now.

it is always OP against humans.

get the skill that lets you change around your mods (can't remember the name of it)
get the skill that lets you slow-mo when jumping off things and sliding
get the skill that lets you craft more per craft

enjoy

Who remembers the Killzone 2 trailer "Ballet of Death" that showed off the hit-reactions in slow motion?

The reason I ask, is because.... Horizon Zero Dawn - Ballet of the Nora

nice video :)

a seeker

The majority of machines have radar so they spot you in cover if you whistle your general location, it's just humans that are dumb to it. The excitement in the game is definitely fighting the machines.

Any stormbird tips? Need one for a hunters quest and first try it whooped my ass

Just keep it tied down with the rope caster and aim at the weak points. Also, keep some lightning resistance potions handy. Don't know what else to say since I'm always flying by the seat of my pants when I fight one haha

The majority of machines have radar so they spot you in cover if you whistle your general location, it's just humans that are dumb to it. The excitement in the game is definitely fighting the machines.

There are actually only 3 machines that have the radar, but at least one of them is a machine you will encounter fairly often, especially early on.

jjonez18

What a run up to the end. And what an ending.

All the questions in the beginning about Aloy's mother, Aloy's purpose, the machines existence, the old one's nonexistence, the derangement, just everything tied together with a satisfying ending.

So many "OMG... Wow... No way" moments.

Melchiah

Any stormbird tips? Need one for a hunters quest and first try it whooped my ass

Just keep it tied down with the rope caster and aim at the weak points. Also, keep some lightning resistance potions handy. Don't know what else to say since I'm always flying by the seat of my pants when I fight one haha

It's even easier with Shadow Sling's sticky bombs, when it's tied down. I've never used any of the resistance potions myself.

I just beat the game after a month of slowly making my way through the world. It was an amazing ride and I'm looking forward to see what is in store.

Got the platinum, just under 72 hours of playing, I think I 100% the game as well. Only other platinum is Bloodborne, what a game...long ass credit sequence at least it was shorter than MGS 4's, and that ending beyond the ending, holy shit.

I'm almost finished with it and I am really liking the story beats in the latter half. I'm eager to see how it ends. Aloy and Rost (just found out about his background) are awesome too. This is my GotY so far.

AtkO

Got the platinum, just under 72 hours of playing, I think I 100% the game as well. Only other platinum is Bloodborne, what a game...long ass credit sequence at least it was shorter than MGS 4's, and that ending beyond the ending, holy shit.

I finished the game in 76 hours, with a 99.44% completion in game and with only one trophy missing, the grazer dummies thing. I really enjoy it because I didn't feel forced to look for the trophies, I got them naturally. I didn't even check the list to see what I needed to do. I just played. Kudos Guerilla!

Just got my platinum, 53hrs playtime. Amazing game from start to finish. I'm so in love with everything about it. What an incredible achievement by Guerilla.

SlickVic

I'm assuming this Kotaku article was already posted here, but just read it recently and it gave some nice insight into the development of the story. There are some marked spoilers here, so probably best to read it after completing the game.

http://kotaku.com/horizon-zero-dawns-lead-writer-says-they-spent-hundreds-1793772842

It's pretty remarkable how much effort went into making a compelling backstory to a relatively simple starting premise of "female protagonist fighting machines on a lush Earth far in the future”. It's not a long article, but it's nice to have some insight into the creative process of making this story.

Also had no idea one of the main writers from Fallout: New Vegas worked on the story for Horizon.

I'm 30 hrs in , explored the whole map , level 28 and I have barely touched the main story

i have only just finished the save olins family mission

I think I need to focus on the main story. Fighting dinos is so much fun.

Only downside is finally taken down 3 behomeths and dying on the way back to the nearest campfire .

Can I get a better spear? Are all damage increases gained from mods?

Don't worry about looking for a new spear, the one you've got is really all you'll need. Increasing your damage output is generally a matter of getting knockdowns and unlocking the skills that add damage to your critical attacks. Late story spoilers:
You get a new spear with innate electricity near the end of the game.

This game is amazing. I finished it - sadly a bit rushed because of Persona 5 - but I can't wait to get back and go for platinum.

Hopefully I get a lot of extra story bits from the sidequests. I skipped a few.

Hnetuduft

I'm 30 hrs in , explored the whole map , level 28 and I have barely touched the main story

i have only just finished the save olins family mission

I think I need to focus on the main story. Fighting dinos is so much fun.

Only downside is finally taken down 3 behomeths and dying on the way back to the nearest campfire .

You can get 1+ damage for your current spear through a sidequest early on. Cant remember the name of it atm. It was close to Mothers Watch. You have to find some dudes daughter.

BeeDog

100% completion (though didn't grab all the data entries), 47:55:53 for the Platinum which I got yesterday. Awesome game, so glad it turned out well.

Mini-review below:

Pros:

- Amazing graphics, like OH MY GOD good. Utterly fantastic and makes the game feel like the most expensive shit in the world.
- Fantastic combat gameplay and superb controls. Controlling Aloy and battling the beasts is a thing of beauty and joy.
- The enemy line-up, while not the biggest one, is brilliant and many of the robots, especially the bigger ones, are super-fun to battle and feel like boss fights themselves. And the way they animate, my God.
- If you bump up the difficulty, the battles are some of the most exhilirating in gaming right now. I love how smoothly the enemies animate and track Aloy. Instead of it being like in other games where you easily dodge monsters, here you actually have to put in some effort.
- Pretty much all characters, and especially Aloy, are nicely written, interesting and with unique personalities. There is rarely bad voice acting, and you're eager to hear more.
- The main story and the missions are fantastic; really intriguing set-up, good revelations and tightly written. It's a high mark when an open-world game that riffs off Tomb Raider and The Witcher still manages to feel like a tightly controlled single-player game in many parts.
- The game takes the best parts of well-established franchises like Far Cry, Tomb Raider and so on but streamlines most parts into a fluid, and well-playing lump of joy.

Cons:

- The physics glitch when the camera repositions during cutscenes/dialogues. Always hated that in GG's engine and sad to see it isn't fixed.
- The low-quality water effects and lack of plant interactivity. Minor thing in the grand (and beautiful) scheme of things.
- No map legend to turn markers on/off, and no comparison screen for weapons (and before/after stats when modding etc.). Honestly, my biggest gripe.
- The lack of interactivity in the cities, especially in Meridian. Since they already went the Mass Effect route for dialogue, it would've been nice if there was generally more to do in the cities story- and chatting-wise. More NPCs should be fleshed out.
- Small lack of polish in certain areas, which is usually noticeable in GG games. Aside from the aforementioned physics glitch, there is stuff like numerous subtitle errors, some overlooked writing (like Aloy knowing the names of people who haven't introduced themselves, repeating quest dialogue after finishing said quest), some subpar cutscene/dialogue transitions, the shadow glitches etc.
- The item management and item gameplay/customization is quite poor. You buy most of the game's stuff from traders who pretty much share the exact same item line-up, and quest rewards are poor (aside from xp). Also, you can manage to craft almost all bags quite early on since the game doesn't require you to go out of your way to gather the necessary resources. For the next game, it should be more rewarding to explore, with more unique items etc.
- Side quests are quite bad aside from some of the more elaborate ones. They simply shouldn't rely on so many tracking quests with sparse dialogue, make them more elaborate such as different outcomes based on the clues you've found, different combat setups etc.
- I would've hoped for more boss-like enemies and unique enemies in general. An idea for the next game would be to make hunts more unique by having the hunted targets have unique colored skins and abilities, such as shields, fire/ice attacks, spawning abilities etc.

Venture

It's pretty remarkable how much effort went into making a compelling backstory to a relatively simple starting premise of "female protagonist fighting machines on a lush Earth far in the future”. It's not a long article, but it's nice to have some insight into the creative process of making this story.
Yes! I love that this concept of primitive people fighting robot dinosaurs turned into such an intelligent and beautiful story. It's pretty dark too. Thinking about some of the stuff that went down... damn.

I think what impresses me the most about this game (besides a Thunderjaw's array of attacks) is the load times. For a game to look as good as HZD looks but load as fast/faster than some cross-gen games really has blown me away.

gg GG.

I think what impresses me the most about this game (besides a Thunderjaw's array of attacks) is the load times. For a game to look as good as HZD looks but load as fast/faster than some cross-gen games really has blown me away.

gg GG.
I like to add to the fact that this open world game launched with minimal performance issues

Deraj

Do you have a 4k HDR TV too? If so, you're in for a real visual treat with Horizon...

Not yet, I'm playing at 1080p and it still looks amazing.. as good or better than anything I've played on my PC. I've only played a couple of hours so far and I'm really enjoying it. I'm also impressed with how slick the PS4 Pro experience is.. downloading games in rest mode, plugging in optical audio speakers and having it work right away.. how quiet it is.. the only sound I've heard was when i put a disc in and heard it spin up. I need to research 4k TV's next..

bunkitz

There can't be a lot of douchebags worse than
Ted motherfucking Faro
, right? Ugh. Fucking scumbag. Finished
The Mountain That Fell
, and I was just speechless at how fucking despicable that piece of shit is.
FOR FUCK'S SAKE HE WAS THE CAUSE OF ALL THIS AND UAIOUSJDLKAJDSLACJAOS

I'm at the second-to-the-last mission now,
The Looming Shadow
, and I was just wondering if
I can still get the All Allies Joined trophy if I already inspected the two places' defenses before I got everyone to join me? At that point, I hadn't finished the Redmaw quest yet, nor the one with that Uthid guy from Sunfall.

KodaRuss

Would anyone want Rost DLC?
His asventure that got him exiled

I think that would be really cool but I would definitely miss Aloy.

Zackat

There can't be a lot of douchebags worse than
Ted motherfucking Faro
, right? Ugh. Fucking scumbag. Finished
The Mountain That Fell
, and I was just speechless at how fucking despicable that piece of shit is.
FOR FUCK'S SAKE HE WAS THE CAUSE OF ALL THIS AND UAIOUSJDLKAJDSLACJAOS

I'm at the second-to-the-last mission now,
The Looming Shadow
, and I was just wondering if
I can still get the All Allies Joined trophy if I already inspected the two places' defenses before I got everyone to join me? At that point, I hadn't finished the Redmaw quest yet, nor the one with that Uthid guy from Sunfall.

you can do all sidequests at the point you are at

Stumbled across a cauldron protected by 3 hunter machines

Ellie-Sattler-Laura-Dern-Jurassic-Park.jpg

Thought I got this so tear down 2 , only to realise another was cloaked on my right.

jurassic-park-3.png

Machines win again

firelogic

I hate the rain in the Nora part of the map! So intrusive and frequent!
Thank God the rain never happens in the desert zone or the jungle...

I hope they will fix the randomic occurrence of the rain in the Nora valley, in a future update...

Apparently the weather is handled using scientific number crunching so some areas are just prone to more rainfall due to the temperature and cloud cover. SO AWESOME!

Zackat

I just stopped and looked around for a few minutes when it rained. It was beautiful. I wonder if there are rainbows.

-griffy-

Banned
Couple of funny glitches I came across.

First one is a mounted fast travel mishap (this was from several patches ago).

Second is a Stormbird corpse noping the hell out after I hit it with the killing shot, and the search for the body. After looking around for a bit I found it on top of a nearby mountain, only when I get to the corpse it's gone but all the arrows I put into it are still there. This one was kind of annoying cause this was the kill for the
blood
for the crazy
blood drinker guy
. At least by the time I had found the corpse and it vanished, another had spawned for me to kill :p

Top Bottom