• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

sn00zer

I was wondering that too.
I think out of the whole game, that section creeped me out the most.
Imagine being trapped in kindergarten for 20 years.
'Be Brave.'
chills
Edit: BTW I only just finished that area so please don't reply with spoilers beyond that if they do eventually go into it.

So I take down my first corrupted Thunderjaw and only after the fight (15 minutes of shooting the weak spots) do I notice 2 disc launchers nearby. Fuck sake!

sn00zer

Fun strategy I found. Not story spoiler but maaaybe gameplay spoiler?
First take over a machine with a cool weapon you want. Then shoot off the weapon. Now you have a super weapon and a machine at your side and you can just tear shit up. So much fun.

Cyborg

Fun strategy I found. Not story spoiler but maaaybe gameplay spoiler?
First take over a machine with a cool weapon you want. Then shoot off the weapon. Now you have a super weapon and a machine at your side and you can just tear shit up. So much fun.

Doesnt the machine get hostile if you shoot it ?

theaface

Just finished up the game and got the platinum trophy at the same time. What an absolutely fantastic effort from GG. I can't remember the last time a new IP came along and did so much right straight out of the gate. Bloodborne deserves a lot of plaudits but it's a pseudo-sequel to the souls games, whereas Horizon is such a refreshing and remarkable achievement coming off the back of the woeful Killzone Shadowfall.

I appreciate that there are some modern open world tropes present, but this is a game which is much greater than the sum of its parts. Climbing 'towers' to reveal parts of the map is just fun and there's only half a dozen to do. The same can be said for pretty much every mission type - nothing outstays it's welcome and everything is enjoyable.

Top it off with a fantastic story and great soundtrack, and you have a very strong GOTY contender. Bravo Guerrilla.

Falchion

Yep, it was basically
the only region outside the map that was mentioned multiple times. They also mentioned that there is an endless lake with sour water.
I assume they mean the sea with its salty water. With larger bodys of water we maybe get some more water based machines. Roboshark!

I think I read this is in a glyph or somewhere.
QUOTE:
Most extraordinary of all are those reports of a lake one hundred times the size of the Daybrink-- so wide the far shores cannot be made out, and so deep that an entire city of the ancients stands drowned within. The water is sour to the taste, and sickening, and it is said to rise up and push back against those who attempt to cross.

Looks like the coastal cities have been consumed by rising sea levels.

Yeah, really hope we can see some of those areas in the DLC.

sn00zer

Doesnt the machine get hostile if you shoot it ?
Not if you have upgraded take over ability. It will shorten the time a bit but not deplete it.
Playing on hard BTW so dunno if it works on very hard setting. I imagine it would work on all difficulties.

I appreciate that there are some modern open world tropes present, but this is a game which is much greater than the sum of its parts. Climbing 'towers' to reveal parts of the map is just fun and there's only half a dozen to do. The same can be said for pretty much every mission type - nothing outstays it's welcome and everything is enjoyable.

I think this is key to the game's success. They found a pretty good balance to the things they did and executed it all very, very well.

Yeah, it got towers, but there are just a few of them and they're fun to solve. Yeah, it's open world, but the world isn't so massive it's a chore to traverse - in fact, I almost didn't use fast travel at all because it wasn't hugely necessary. Yeah, it's got collectibles, but there aren't a lot of them and they're actually used to tell stories.

Even the trophies are so well balanced and sensible that you pretty much can Platinum the game without going all that much out of your way to do it, hence why we're seeing a larger than usual number of people getting the trophy.

I last played this last Saturday and was rocked by the first bird/dragon I came across. Fought it a couple dozen times and if I didn't succumb to it, I ran out of resources or even worse, taken out but fucking bandits.

So I guess I'm just under-leveled without the proper weaponry? Which element/weapon works best (haven't touched it in a week and forget its weaknesses)?

I've used the ropes to lock it down, I've set it ablaze with multiple fire arrows, I've shot flaming arrows at it's blaze canisters causing decent damage, but even dishing 500(?) damage, it's a mere fraction of its total health.

sn00zer

I'm playing on hard and weapon resources have literally never been an issue for me. I primarily use the bow and 2 point traps though so maybe that's it. I feel like I am constantly flush with resources and the only ones I've had issue with at all are animal parts.

Hwoar

I last played this last Saturday and was rocked by the first bird/dragon I came across. Fought it a couple dozen times and if I didn't succumb to it, I ran out of resources or even worse, taken out but fucking bandits.

So I guess I'm just under-leveled without the proper weaponry? Which element/weapon works best (haven't touched it in a week and forget its weaknesses)?

I've used the ropes to lock it down, I've set it ablaze with multiple fire arrows, I've shot flaming arrows at it's blaze canisters causing decent damage, but even dishing 500(?) damage, it's a mere fraction of its total health.

Imo you are just meant to ignore it till way later in the game. You can check weaknesses in the menu.

I'm playing on hard and weapon resources have literally never been an issue for me. I primarily use the bow and 2 point traps though so maybe that's it. I feel like I am constantly flush with resources and the only ones I've had issue with at all are animal parts.

It seems if you use the Hunter Arrows from a long distance on animals, it increases your chances of getting animal parts, including animal skins.

sn00zer

If something seems unbeatable it probably is until you get farther in the game. I will say though damage output generally isnt THAT much better as you level,but you will have far more tools.

geomon

Better weapons with better coils my friend. Get the best ropecaster you can afford, max out a sling with freeze bombs and go to town.

Took down my first Rockbreaker. It was at a quarry for a side quest. Figured I couldn't take it down easily, so I fast traveled to the save point overlooking the quarry and just started shooting its weak spots with arrows, lol. Took a while, but I did it. I love these fights.

Falchion

Took down my first Rockbreaker. It was at a quarry for a side quest. Figured I couldn't take it down easily, so I fast traveled to the save point overlooking the quarry and just started shooting its weak spots with arrows, lol. Took a while, but I did it. I love these fights.

You monster.
Never thought of that.

sn00zer

Boooo. This fight is awesome if you do it properly. There is a trick to it that basically ensure you never get hit, but it takes a while to figure out.

Disgusting.
You is smart.

holygeesus

Banned
I did the corrupted rockbreakers by putting a river in between us and then it was just then pumping 100s of arrows across the water.

Forget the haters,

....because it's the exact way I took him down.

I'm thinking of buying a PS4, possibly this year, and this is one of the games that perked my interest. Without spoiling it, can someone tell me if:

1) The game is a true "WRPG" like Elder Scroll, Fallout, Jade Empire, Dragon Age?
2) The game's ending leave it open for a sequel? A simple yes/no will suffice, spoil tag your answer for other's sake, please.

sn00zer

Forget the haters,

....because it's the exact way I took him down.
How to beat a rockbreaker fairly easy
Its most powerful attack or at least the one most likely to kill you the quickest is when it shoots up from the ground underneath you as it does it in a chain of three or four times. You can EASILY dodge this attack if you roll just as the light appears on the ground. It doesnt look like the standard "red eyes flashing" you see most commonly, but it is the notification to dodge,

kvn

I'm thinking of buying a PS4, possibly this year, and this is one of the games that perked my interest. Without spoiling it, can someone tell me if:

1) The game is a true "WRPG" like Elder Scroll, Fallout, Jade Empire, Dragon Age?
2) The game's ending leave it open for a sequel? A simple yes/no will suffice, spoil tag your answer for other's sake, please.

1) No.
2) Yes.

Turned my shadow sharpshot bow into a damage bow since i don't use the tearblast arrows no more, And damn with the hardpoint arrows with x3 mods of 49% for a total of 147 in damage this bow is doing on average of 300 to 500 in damage

I highly recommended it

sn00zer

Im 30 hrs into the game and havent gotten
corruption arrows
are these a feature of the purple tier War Bows?

Also is there anyway to view the cinematics in game or revisit certain locations? My SO is out of the country now and she missed some big story stuff so IM trying to figure out how to show here that stuff when she gets back/.

sn00zer

What game, gameplay wise, would you say is comparable to it?

Its literally the best action game I've played. It is an action game with RPG mechanics and storytelling.

Only thing I could readily compare it to is Crysis 1 or MGSV, where a bit of preplanning (via gameplay mechanics and RPG elements) is heavily rewarded, but at its core they are action games. If you like the "thinking action genre" that has sort of blossomed this gen (Bloodborne, Hitman, Crysis, MGSV) then it should be an instant buy. Its one of if not the best in the genre.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What game, gameplay wise, would you say is comparable to it?

Its an open world game with a focus on tight creative combat against a variety of complex challenging enemies. The main story is also very well done and its got a lot of side quests, story collectibles, challenge missions but does a lot of them very well even if there aren't as many as other games.

sn00zer

None of those really. The combat absolutely shines. IMO, it's like a scaled down Witcher 3 if the combat was designed by FPS makers.

In terms of preplanning mechanics I would say yes, but mechanically they are totally different as Horizon requires some serious dexterity.

shiba5

In terms of preplanning mechanics I would say yes, but mechanically they are totally different as Horizon requires some serious dexterity.

Yeah, that's what I mean though - just think if Geralt controlled as well as Aloy. OMG
The one thing I didn't love about Witcher 3 was the combat. Guerrilla obviously took a lot of cues from that game though.

gunstarhero

Planning on picking this up today - how's the difficulty? Would like a challenge, but not unfair. Go directly to hard or is normal good?

Rien

Jelly Belly
Start with hard and scale down (or up) if it becomes to much. It doesnt affect any trophy progress if that bothers you.

sn00zer

Planning on picking this up today - how's the difficulty? Would like a challenge, but not unfair. Go directly to hard or is normal good?

If you enjoy the preplanning aspects of Hitman, Crysis, and MGSV or the Souls-like design of "dont be careless" I would play on hard.

Melchiah

Im 30 hrs into the game and havent gotten
corruption arrows
are these a feature of the purple tier War Bows?

Also is there anyway to view the cinematics in game or revisit certain locations? My SO is out of the country now and she missed some big story stuff so IM trying to figure out how to show here that stuff when she gets back/.

Yes. It took me a while to get that one as well.

Unfortunately no (EDIT: when it comes to the cinematics), not even after completion, which is unfortunate.

This didn't happen to me or I didn't notice it except the outfit reverting in the last missions

They do if you fid their merchants and talk to them. I found it funny how the mugs were considered much more. And the metal flowers surely have a deeper meaning in thei codes imo.

I found this fine, the outfits aren't that special anyway, it's more about the mods. The shileld-weaver would have been really OP at the beginning, it still is at the end.

Yeah the reset method was annoying, but the time limit was fine, wasn't that challenging after you figure out how to do them

The jarring little jolt between the scenes happened quite often for me. Now that I think about, it may be that it started happening after one of the patches, but I'm not sure.

I actually revisited the text files of Banuk Figures and Metal Flowers, and you're right, they do offer a story of their own. I guess I just didn't pay enough attention to them while playing. The Metal Flowers became even more interesting in retrospect, after I had completed the game.

I've now played a bit more with the Shield Weaver, and it's certainly a pretty OP piece of equipment. I wonder how that will be taken into consideration in the DLC?

The reset method became increasingly annoying, when I was trying to get all the Blazing Suns. Especially when some of the Hunting Trials seemed to rely on luck, when it came to the timing of the machines' routes in relation to each other. If they were too far from each other, the time would run out.

Start with hard and scale down (or up) if it becomes to much. It doesnt affect any trophy progress if that bothers you.

That's one of the many good things about the game. It allowed me to get Blazing Suns in Hunting Trials like Watch Out, Tie Down, and Ravager Control on easy.

holygeesus

Banned
That's one of the many good things about the game. It allowed me to get Blazing Suns in Hunting Trials like Watch Out, Tie Down, and Ravager Control on easy.

So after completing the game, you can just change to easy difficulty to mop up the trophies?

AndersK

Any good guides for 100 % completion? I got something like 98.44 % and I figure I'm missing a couple errands. Did the acquired taste one already.

Not that I mind just running around. Such an amazing world.

Any good guides for 100 % completion? I got something like 98.44 % and I figure I'm missing a couple errands. Did the acquired taste one already.

Not that I mind just running around. Such an amazing world.

Shadow gear also counts, do you have every purple weapon and outfit?

Top Bottom