• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

How far am I guys?

I've just entered the Zero Dawn facility, just after Aloy got through the door which blew air out and notified the guards

Melchiah

I think this is key to the game's success. They found a pretty good balance to the things they did and executed it all very, very well.

Yeah, it got towers, but there are just a few of them and they're fun to solve. Yeah, it's open world, but the world isn't so massive it's a chore to traverse - in fact, I almost didn't use fast travel at all because it wasn't hugely necessary. Yeah, it's got collectibles, but there aren't a lot of them and they're actually used to tell stories.

Even the trophies are so well balanced and sensible that you pretty much can Platinum the game without going all that much out of your way to do it, hence why we're seeing a larger than usual number of people getting the trophy.

That was one of things I liked about the game. I'm not a big open world fan, and the world was just right size for me. If it's too large it seems too daunting task for me. Quality prevails over quantity. The game delivered with side quests and collectibles in that regard as well.

sn00zer

So im 30ish hrs in and have barely touched the Carja Guard main quest. From what I played it was pretty bleh. Does it have any good moments? I played up to
you find it was his tribe who maybe kidnapped and didnt his sister in the satellite area

Mifune

Mehmber
I didn't care all that much for the Carja storyline on its own. But it does tie into the larger narrative in ways I wish the game would have explored more.

AndersK

So im 30ish hrs in and have barely touched the Carja Guard main quest. From what I played it was pretty bleh. Does it have any good moments? I played up to
you find it was his tribe who maybe kidnapped and didnt his sister in the satellite area

I'd say it best you do that part to completion first. It's not bad by any means, it's just fairly disconnected from the 'main' narrative, so it might feel less compelling coming off developments on the other questline.

After beating Zelda, I had this and Mass Effect to play. I decided to try the first hour or so of both and make my decision which to play next. I went with Mass Effect.

My problem in the first hour of playing Horizon was what seems like a forced emphasis on stealth. After enjoying the complete freedom of Zelda, it kind of discouraged me to having to be mindful about where I'm going all the time. Is this really the case or did I not give it a fair shake? Can I play the game without stealth? Can I just melee with everything? I'm still going to play it but these were the reasons I went with ME first after Zelda.

Falchion

After beating Zelda, I had this and Mass Effect to play. I decided to try the first hour or so of both and make my decision which to play next. I went with Mass Effect.

My problem in the first hour of playing Horizon was what seems like a forced emphasis on stealth. After enjoying the complete freedom of Zelda, it kind of discouraged me to having to be mindful about where I'm going all the time. Is this really the case or did I not give it a fair shake? Can I play the game without stealth? Can I just melee with everything? I'm still going to play it but these were the reasons I went with ME first after Zelda.

You can play without being sneaky but you'll get fucked up. Horizon rewards you for planning and stealth.

sn00zer

I'd say it best you do that part to completion first. It's not bad by any means, it's just fairly disconnected from the 'main' narrative, so it might feel less compelling coming off developments on the other questline.

Feels very WRPG-y and wasn't nearly as compelling.

also since I can't make threads for a while on the account of I am too humorous, can we talk for a second about how much inspiration this game drew from Dinotopia and it is just fucking wonderful for doing so. Dinotopia is my favorite fictional world, and it has been quite amazing being able to explore some of the concepts in a videogame.
Strutters%2Bexit%2BWB.jpg
Arthur%2BWill%2BWB.jpg
Cave_Portrait.sm_.jpg
Emperors_Offer.sm+copy.jpg
CHANDARA.sml_.nosig_.jpg
Strutter%2Bout%2Bof%2Bcontrol.jpg
PoseidosOverview.sm_.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
World_Beneath_Opener.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend buying the four main picture books in the series
Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time
Dinotopia: The World Beneath
Dinotopia: First Flight (Okay you can skip this one, but this is the most Horizon-like)
Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara

EDIT: In case you dont know what Dinotopia is. Its a series set in the early 19th century where an undiscovered continent still has dinosaurs and they live alongside people. The artist who created the series was an artist for National Geographic, so he delves really deep into the cultural back and forth between dinosaurs and humans similar to Horizon with the machines. There is also a sort of subplot that shows Dinotopia used to be far more technologically advanced, but the society and its machines are buried deep underground. The stories are much lighter than Horizon, but the world of machines, humans, and dinosaurs is a step above even Horizon.

timewyrm

Really loving this game. Just slid down a mountain and as Aloy reacted, her voice echoed. I thought that was a great touch.

It's really up to you on how you want to play. I always go guns blazing although there are some times when I did take the stealth route. I hardly ever used melee, but my brother uses melee fairly often.

David___

Banned
The Tearblast launcher is the only weapon of it's kind, so yes. I think you have to ace all hunting grounds trials to get it, but it is worth the trouble. Plus the hunting grounds trials are pretty fun.

Pretty sure the Tearblast is a reward for a standalone quest in the Lodge. The Lodge versions of pre-existing weapons are the rewards for the marks.

Proxy

I came to the realization while playing tonight that the various environments in this game just feel right to me. There's something about the level of detail and scale that makes them feel so natural; which is something that I've never really experienced in any other open world game.

Ellite25

Quick question about the end game
After I beat the main story can I still do side quests that I didn't finish?i wanna see how the story ends but I wanna do some of the side quests as well. Just want to make sure I won't miss anything if just go through the main story line. Also, no spoilers please!

Quick question about the end game
After I beat the main story can I still do side quests that I didn't finish?i wanna see how the story ends but I wanna do some of the side quests as well. Just want to make sure I won't miss anything if just go through the main story line. Also, no spoilers please!
Yeah, you'll be fine.

The lodge blast sling ended up being my favorite weapon. So much so that I used up all my Blaze after getting it and was Blaze poor for the entirety of the rest of the game.

Falchion

The lodge blast sling ended up being my favorite weapon. So much so that I used up all my Blaze after getting it and was Blaze poor for the entirety of the rest of the game.

Once I realized how powerful a War Bow with freeze mods and the lodge blast sling bombs were as a combo, I used that to absolutely wreck Stormbirds and Thunderjaws. I would harvest blaze from Grazers using the harvest arrows on their tanks after stealth killing them so that I never ran low.

After 200 hours when you can this easily down a TJaw,
you know its time to take a break

4 freeze arrows and 10 precision arrows with x3 damage coils of 49%

5nP13LK.gif

holygeesus

Banned

There are infinite amounts of Blaze at pretty much every merchant though. Towards the end, my game basically amounted to selling everything then holding down the buy button on Blaze until I got at least 60 of the bad boys.

Melchiah

There are infinite amounts of Blaze at pretty much every merchant though. Towards the end, my game basically amounted to selling everything then holding down the buy button on Blaze until I got at least 60 of the bad boys.

Yeah, I kept a constant stock of 100 pieces of Blaze. You could easily get enough extra resources and low level mods to sell from a single mission to keep the supply at that level. The downside was, that there was little reason to use anything else than the Blast Sling to finish the machines.

Before I got the Blast Sling, the hardest part for me was the
Fire Bellowback
in the first Cauldron. Especially as I had very little healing items left at that save point. It took several tries to finally down that bastard, even with setting traps all over the area.

Fliesen

ok, i just finished (and also platinumed) the game.

What a fantastic game ... my only issue would be the massive info dump missions during the last 10% of the game - especially when there's audio logs and
Sylens decides to have a conversation via Focus at the same time

kinda screwed up pacing.

Also, i didn't care for the first part of the final mission at all ...

Melchiah

ok, i just finished (and also platinumed) the game.

What a fantastic game ... my only issue would be the massive info dump missions during the last 10% of the game - especially when there's audio logs and
Sylens decides to have a conversation via Focus at the same time

kinda screwed up pacing.

Also, i didn't care for the first part of the final mission at all ...

I loved the information the game fed to me, but I didn't like how the holograms activated automatically when I went back to check if I missed something, and returned to where I was. There was no way to shut them off, and it drowned the dialogue between the characters.

Fliesen

I loved the information the game fed to me, but I didn't like how the holograms activated automatically when I went back to check if I missed something, and returned to where I was. There was no way to shut them off, and it drowned the dialogue between the characters.

don't get me wrong, i love the information. But if you're giving me audio logs, maybe sprinkle them across the mission in such a way that i won't be standing there, waiting for one to finish so i can listen to the next one.

And yeah, i know, i can just listen to them at a later point in time from the menu. Still ... Rooms with 5 audio logs that are like up to 2 minutes each, that's just a big no-no imho.

edit: Just finished the credits. Platinum, 93.18% completion... cool. Not gonna go hunt for all those world-collectibles.

holygeesus

Banned
One minor criticism I would have, for those mopping up trophies at least, is that the collectables seem to fall a little too often, on a cliff-top and the navigation of mountain terrain isn't really the game's strength. Trying to find a small climbing hand hold, in the dark, or with metal beats sniffing around, does get slightly annoying.

Fliesen

One minor criticism I would have, for those mopping up trophies at least, is that the collectables seem to fall a little too often, on a cliff-top and the navigation of mountain terrain isn't really the game's strength. Trying to find a small climbing hand hold, in the dark, or with metal beats sniffing around, does get slightly annoying.

i feel like the only collectibles that are "up some mountain" are usually just the banuk figures, and those usually come with walls that have plenty of colorful wall paintings and flags to show you where you should make your ascend.

Melchiah

don't get me wrong, i love the information. But if you're giving me audio logs, maybe sprinkle them across the mission in such a way that i won't be standing there, waiting for one to finish so i can listen to the next one.

And yeah, i know, i can just listen to them at a later point in time from the menu. Still ... Rooms with 5 audio logs that are like up to 2 minutes each, that's just a big no-no imho.

edit: Just finished the credits. Platinum, 93.18% completion... cool. Not gonna go hunt for all those world-collectibles.

The audio log issue, that was already present in Bioshock, hasn't still been solved. It would be nice to be able to listen to the audio logs while you proceed, but you're bound to reach a point where a dialogue/fight setpiece begins, and gets in the way.

I wanted this game from the moment its concept arts leaked. I was so hyped for it! Unfortunately, concerns started to seep into my thinking. They were mostly brought about by the dev's previous games; I just couldn't see how they could make anything beyond a lite version of Ubi games. (I loved FC4 and WD2, btw.) Even if they did bring in additional help. Well, thank fuck I was wrong! Finished it last night and whilst the gameplay didn't break many (any?) moulds, it was without doubt crazy fun to play. Shit, the game even managed to get me in the feels a good few times.
Gameplay wise, the finale wasn't all that great
, but everything else? *supoib*

gg, GG. gg.

holygeesus

Banned
i feel like the only collectibles that are "up some mountain" are usually just the banuk figures, and those usually come with walls that have plenty of colorful wall paintings and flags to show you where you should make your ascend.

Nah nearly all the vantages are and a great deal of the mechanical flowers.

Posting replies for my locked waifu/husbando thread in here xD

Chandler X Bing said:
For her lover, I choose the legendary Thunderjaw, Redmaw.

CRUNT said:
Elisabet Sobeck, that would be hot.

Redmaw spoiler.

marzlapin said:
Varl. Their babies would look like Beyonce and she actually seemed interested in him.

I didn't dislike the guy, and your comments re beutiful Beyonce lookalikes has me intrigued, but I wonder just how much Aloy was into him considering how some of his remarks toward the end seemingly fell on deaf ears.

holygeesus

Banned
Posting replies for my locked waifu/husbando thread in here xD

Redmaw spoiler.

I didn't dislike the guy, and your comments re beutiful Beyonce lookalikes has me intrigued, but I wonder just how much Aloy was into him considering how some of his remarks toward the end seemingly fell on deaf ears.

There was something going on with both Vanasha (her whole - I'll thank you properly next time I see you *wink* spiel) and the weapon crafter (can't remember her name doh)

Top Bottom