• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Zackat

crazyprac

Omg I just finished the game. Took me awhile since I don't game too often but what an epic journey. Can't wait what they'll do next!

Just saw this on Twitter, hahaha.

C8uA1JoXsAEk0fk.jpg
lmao

Slixshot

Banned
Platinum'd the game on my first go. What a ride. One of my favorite open worlds I've ever played in. Gameplay was top notch. Incredibly well acted and what a story. Games damn near perfect in my eyes.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sunhi is amazing, i really love those gifs! i still have to pick up my print at Guerrilla this month, but i'm very busy at the moment, so it's a shame for me i can't make any appointment with the devs at this time.

It would be cool to meet him at Guerrilla.

Mimosa97

How long did it take you to platinum?

Not the one you asked but I'll answer you

It took me 65 hours to platinum it in very hard (played the first 20% of the game in hard mode) and I did everything. I was missing like maybe a dozen logs in total (those you're supposed to find by yourself throughout the map) but I got all the written logs and audio logs that matter (those about the story). I found the game to be a tad easy. Like in the last 1/3rd of the game I only died twice and once was during the last hunting ground mission.

I feel like those who finished the game in less than 50 hours just played the main campaign and rushed through the game and those who finished it in more than 70 hours took their sweet sweet time.

It's done! Dozens of hours of recording time-lapses cut to the main theme remix by Verso.

WARNING: Location spoilers Horizon Zero Dawn - Stunning Apocalypse

Not a big fan of the music. It sounds kinda messy. I feel like you should just have kept the original score. But the rest is brilliant. Love it !

Not a big fan of the music. It sounds kinda messy. I feel like you should just have kept the original score. But the rest is brilliant. Love it !

Thanks! I like the remix, because the intensity that it plays at matches with the timelapse speeds I wanted to maintain.

Besides the insane amount of shards?

Hmmm... wait. It doesn't show any regular arrows. Just fire arrows and hard points. That looks odd to me.

Taking a break from grinding coils to harvest some wood so i only use the normal carja bow that you start with, plus that area is easy since its only grazers and watchers there.

Venture

Taking a break from grinding coils to harvest some wood so i only use the normal carja bow that you start with, plus that area is easy since its only grazers and watchers there.
Ah right. I'm so used to only using the Shadow hunter bow I forgot there are others lol.

I bought the game last week and it's truly been a wonderful experience so far. Everything about this game is top notch. I'll admit that I had literally no faith at all that Guerilla could do this. I didn't buy it at launch for that reason. I only bought it to take advantage of the Pro I bought last week, and was I ever wrong.

Elixist

I bought the game last week and it's truly been a wonderful experience so far. Everything about this game is top notch. I'll admit that I had literally no faith at all that Guerilla could do this. I didn't buy it at launch for that reason. I only bought it to take advantage of the Pro I bought last week, and was I ever wrong.

i'll take a piece of crow too. i thought the game would be decent to good at best, but its close to greatness for me. the combat is so fun and satisfying. next time if they have exploration be more meaningful and come up with more originality in their open world systems ( the ubi ish stuff) they can have something incredible.

Falchion

Finally beat it, what a fucking ride. I've been playing it over a month now and have been trying to drag it out as long as possible because it's just been such a magical experience and I didn't want it to end. This is, without a doubt, my favorite game of all time and it's not even close. Over the past month I've thought about this game all the time when I wasn't playing it, which isn't usual for me, and so many elements speak to me in a way few other games have. The world is the most well realized, beautiful, and rich that I've ever experienced. Aloy is my favorite hero of all time and Guerrilla did a masterful job of making her so easy to connect with. The story was excellent and I loved how it went from
her childhood as an outcast to her coming of age being the savior of the world.
The gameplay was so polished and satisfying, and the combat and machines were spectacular. I'm honestly sad that it's over; I wish I could just hit a reset button to forget it all and experience it fresh again. I will absolutely be replaying this at some point and I'm incredibly happy that Guerrilla are working on DLC and hopefully another entry into what I hope becomes a long and successful franchise.

Congrats Sunhi! That's awesome of GG as well.

So I was playing earlier today, and I was on my way to Meridian. On my way, I saw a herd of Tramplers, some Snapmaws, and three Glinthawks. I sneak past the Tramplers, and hide by the Snapmaws. I lure one over to the tall grass and override it. It starts to attack the other Snapmaws. Suddenly, the herd of Tramplers come over and gang up on my overridden Snapmaw. Like 3-4 Tramplers and 3 Snapmaws vs my Snapmaw. They take it down, but not before I sneak further down. I lure another Snapmaw and override it too. That attacks the other Snapmaws, but doesn't draw the attention of the Tramplers (they left). Suddenly, a Glinthawk swoops down and attacks the Snapmaw. My Snapmaw gets taken down, and the other two Glinthawks come down and tear it apart, essentially scavenging the corpse. It was amazing.

Melchiah

Completed and platinumed the game in 83½ hours, during the course of 37 days. The best gaming experience I've had since Bloodborne, and one of the best and most moving sci-fi stories I've had the pleasure to experience in any form. Now that it's done, a feeling of melancholy sets in, but I can finally open the limited edition's art book and listen to the soundtrack. =)

Pros:
  • Wonderful story, atmosphere and visual design (the attention to detail in everything), varied and challenging combat, and a relatable main character.
  • The constant feel of wonder, when you came across new areas, machines, and revelations, and the emotional ride it provided from the beginning to the end.
  • Most of the sidequests felt meaningful, and added to the whole. Particularly these three:
    Redmaw, Sunstone Rock, A Moment's Peace.
  • The little personal side story the Vantage Points offered.
  • The way the game portrayed religion
    as a harmful relic of the barbaric past, and how its main character treated it with the disdain it deserved.

Cons:
  • Many of the cutscenes throughout the game had odd glitches when moving from one scene to another. Instead of moving fluidly forward, they made an abrupt jolt to the next scene. In addition, during the last few cutscenes Aloy wasn't wearing the outfit I had equipped for her.
  • The other collectables could have offered more to the story, like the Vantage Points, eventhough I enjoyed exploring and finding all Metal Flowers and Banuk Figures.
  • If the best outfits had been granted earlier, you would have had more time to use them when progressing though the story.
  • The waypoint marker didn't often give the most direct route.
  • The inventory reverted back to how it was, if you died after making changes to it since the last saving. That goes for items sold/bought/crafted, and gear equipped.
  • The strict time limits in the Hunting Grounds, and the fact you couldn't restart them more easily.
  • EDIT: Another one would be, that the beginning of one of the last main quests was missing all the machines, since I had explored and cleared the area beforehand. Yet the dialogue remained unchanged, and still referred to how many of them were there. In case someone's interested which one, it's
    The Mountain That Fell.
    In addition, I wish it would have been possible to provide the story bits of Vantage Points in a chronological order, despite of the order you find them. I also never met
    Vilgund
    , since I reached the
    Banuk Camp
    and completed the sidequest before Meridian.

The pros easily outweigh the cons. It's hard to believe, that any game would challenge its GOTY place for me at this point. Farewell, Aloy, for now.

GFgvXKwl.jpg

Planet

Not trying to "defend" Horizon, since it doesn't need any, but I'd like to comment on some of those cons.
during the last few cutscenes Aloy wasn't wearing the outfit I had equipped for her.
Those are pre-rendered. Providing these with all the available costumes would need at least another disc / humongous download. ;)
If the best outfits had been granted earlier
That isn't exactly an exclusive new concept in HZD to receive the better items later in the game... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The waypoint marker didn't often give the most direct route.
True, but you can disable those to only see the distant final target.
The inventory reverted back to how it was
That's what save points are for. Just make sure to visit a campfire each time you make those changes. Yes, the game could preserve those settings seperately, but that seemingly wasn't prioritized.

Late, but congrats, Sunhi! Your gifs and editing are fantastic.

Edit: Also, just saw the game (and some other random videos) in HDR, in person the other day. Holy shit I wish hadn't seen it now. 4k and HDR are gamechangers (for me, at least), and now I'm wanting some shit I won't be able to afford.

Skux

I just finished the
Deep Secrets of the Earth
mission and I'm floored.

I remember when the robot dino concept, while amazing, sounded batshit crazy. How the hell do these exist? Why do they look like animals? What are they even here for?

But after that mission, it seems like everything makes sense, like it could plausibly happen. They've really covered the bases when thinking about the concept and it's magic watching it unfold.

I finished the game last night, having started on launch day. No platinum yet, but probably 70ish hours of gameplay.

It's definitely one of my favourite games of all time. Graphically it's stunning, the combat is so rich, but what really got me was the story. The way the threads of the old world and Aloy's individual story all come together is magical.

I have been thinking about some of the loose ends, though, and where the story might go next. Some thoughts below, sorry if old/obvious, and spoilers for the ending:

So the big mystery is who/what hacked Gaia 19 years ago and split the sub-AIs off, starting the derangement?

I think the answer will be the main plot of the sequel. My three options, in ascending order of likelihood:

1: The descendants of the Odyssey, the ship sent to colonize a new planet, supposedly destroyed when leaving the solar system. Given some weird morality by the alpha version of Apollo, they return to Earth to find it populated by 'savages' and hack Gaia to clear them out.

2: Faro. He was building his own bunker, but maybe instead of waiting for death he preserved himself cryogenically or cybernetically, then awoke to find that destroying Apollo hadn't prevented the new human cultures from becoming as violent as the old. He hacks Gaia using his Omega privilege to restart the terraforming process.
Problem: the cradle facilities were exhausted, there's no new embryos to repopulate the world, unless...

3: Both of the above: Odyssey still exists and has material to repopulate the world, Faro survives and has the means to restart the terraforming process. Faro believes he's doing the right thing (like when he killed the alphas).

Aloy needs the help of Sylens and an old enemy if she's going to be able to restore Gaia and defeat Faro...

Or am I totally overthinking this?

Melchiah

Those are pre-rendered. Providing these with all the available costumes would need at least another disc / humongous download. ;)

That isn't exactly an exclusive new concept in HZD to receive the better items later in the game... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

True, but you can disable those to only see the distant final target.

That's what save points are for. Just make sure to visit a campfire each time you make those changes. Yes, the game could preserve those settings seperately, but that seemingly wasn't prioritized.

I think in the earlier cutscenes Aloy had the outfit I had equipped, instead of the default one. That's why it picked my eyes. It could be, that those weren't pre-rendered though.

Other games have done the same, but there's always room for improvement with the old concepts. ;)

What I meant was, that the waypoint marker always followed the roads, instead of giving the direct route through the woods and hills. Often making the trip unnecessary long.

True, and I can understand that you lose all the XP and items gained, but the lack of autosave after doing business with merchants in particular was a minor annoyance.

Planet

It could be, that those weren't pre-rendered though.
Some are pre-rendered, AFAIK not only those right at the end. Most are real time.
What I meant was, that the waypoint marker always followed the roads, instead of giving the direct route through the woods and hills. Often making the trip unnecessary long.
And what I mean is, just go to customize HUD and turn off those waypoint markers. Then you still have the Quest goal and can make your own way offside the roads without distractions by the rather picky navigation system.

Melchiah

And what I mean is, just go to customize HUD and turn off those waypoint markers. Then you still have the Quest goal and can make your own way offside the roads without distractions by the rather picky navigation system.

I recall that was off by defaut. I guess I should have tried it with that setting instead. Oh well.

Really nice work.
Thank you. Unfortunately (for me) it may be lost amid all the much deserved congratulations for Sunhi being invited to GG. I hope something exciting for them comes out of this, aside from just getting to check out what they're up to.

I'd love a SunhiLegend DLC trailer!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hopefully after seeing Sunhi's awesomeness, GG implementes a cinematic camera ... or Sunhi's cam as its known in the more professional circles ;)

EDIT: Also, Nil's DLC pls

slade

Cons:
  • Many of the cutscenes throughout the game had odd glitches when moving from one scene to another. Instead of moving fluidly forward, they made an abrupt jolt to the next scene.

• I don't think this was a glitch. At times the choices you make or don't make have to be reflected in certain cutscenes and due to that the developers insert another cutscene into the one running to address what choices you've made.

Gaminar

Banned
So if you find everything on the map... you get 8 skill points. I know I did.

I'm done 99% of the game with the final mission left. I'm going to use a guide for all the collectathons and then do the final mission even though it doesn't count towards the 100% completion.

noomi

Finally done, what a fantastic ride. Could only play a few hours here and there, but I managec to get every weapon/mod/side quest/armor...etc

Feels good to finish this up, won't likely play it ever again, but the memories will remain. Now onto Nier Automata.

Chuckie

Just got my platinum trophy! Awesome game.....absolutely love it. Enough to do a replay and this time paying a bit more attention to all the data/text files etc.

Question though....can I do a new play but keep my old save? I really don't want to lose it all.

Melchiah

I don't think this was a glitch. At times the choices you make or don't make have to be reflected in certain cutscenes and due to that the developers insert another cutscene into the one running to address what choices you've made.

That's what I thought as well, but it affected the immersion. To my recollection, it also happened at times when the scene moved to its conclusion, right before you were given back control.

Anyways, the cons were minor blemishes in an otherwise great gaming experience.

EDIT:

I'm done 99% of the game with the final mission left. I'm going to use a guide for all the collectathons and then do the final mission even though it doesn't count towards the 100% completion.

Oh, that's where those points, that gave me the last needed skills, came from.

It just dawned on me, that you can't view the cutscenes from the menu after completion, which is something I would have liked to do.

Poona

Anyone else run into bugs now and then?

I've had the thing I was fighting die in front of the cauldron core so I couldn't access it
Animals running around underwater (not a big deal but takes you out of the game a bit)
And just now I got stuck inside a rock, the game freaked out all the textures went nuts, and I couldn't escape so had to quit

The last one especially really isn't good.

Havent had any of those happen, but I'd imagine that if the last one was to occur you could try using a fast travel.

I really wish there was a second weapon wheel, going into the inventory can be annoying during a fight. Similarly, I wish the outfits had their own tab in the menu.

So after finishing the game, I noticed something that got me thinking:
The special thanks to Hideo Kojima at the end of the credits, the fact that I found a doll that has the new Kojima Production company logo in the menu as its symbol and it is apparently straight out of Death Stranding.... I watched the DS trailer again. Now what if DS is the prequel to Horizon? All things are connected with wires and red stuff that looks a lot like the corruption from Horizon ZD, machines needing biomass...so all life is ... death str...hmmm .

Well, that would be to good to be true :D

There are two more items related to
Death Stranding as well. Collecting all three will allow you to trade them for an item box.

I think it's interesting that the game gives you a bunch more skill points than you actually need to max out your skills.

UV-6

Platinumed in 40 hours.

What a ride! Certainly earned a place in my personal all time top 10 favourite games. Bring on the DLC.

One feature request I would love for a future patch is the ability to disband unopened treasure boxes. Damn those boxes of green coils. I have no room!

Top Bottom