• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Just finished the game and got the Platinum in a cool, easy 81 hours.

I haven't been grabbed by a game like that a long time. Favorite game of this gen by far.

YtHJsTE.gif
So you are going to cut the trailer for the expansion right?

Dargor

I'm not honestly sure how it happened. I finished the sawtooth quest and Rost was telling me how I have to meet him somewhere, and then I started doing a couple of the side quests.

After I finished all of the side quests I went to the main quest marker and noticed that the gates I needed to pass through were locked (north, main, and south). I thought i was doing something wrong so I googled around and that's when I noticed that something was wrong because according to the progression I should be on the mothers heart quest, but it was still telling me to "follow the path of destruction" which is the sawtooth quest. That's when I realized that the game bugged out and thought I was still on that quest but there was no longer any way for me to open the north gate with Rost since he was nowhere to be found - and neither was he anywhere else for that matter.

edit: just killed the sawtooth again. this time I got a trophy for it and the point of the spear quest immediately finished and it put me on mother's heart

Yeah, that sounds pretty weird, but good thing it didnt happen again.

My playthrough (50 some hours) was really uneventfull bugwise. The only bad bug that happened to me was when I fell through the ground (twice), but that was easily solved with a teleport to any point of the map I had discovered.

The other bug was when a dead machine decided it wasn't that dead and kept spasming and what not, but really fast and even jumping at times lol.

But you already had one really bad bug, so I'm hoping you don't get another .

Yeah, that sounds pretty weird, but good thing it didnt happen again.

My playthrough (50 some hours) was really uneventfull bugwise. The only bad bug that happened to me was when I fell through the ground (twice), but that was easily solved with a teleport to any point of the map I had discovered.

The other bug was when a dead machine decided it wasn't that dead and kept spasming and what not, but really fast and even jumping at times lol.

But you already had one really bad bug, so I'm hoping you don't get another .

That doesn't sound bad at all for 50 hours. The spasming dead machine bug would have probably made me laugh haha. Actually I did have another strange bug in my initial playthrough for a side quest where you need to get a spear for Ana (or w/e her name was).

I was fighting some scrapers and thought I killed them all but the music was indicating otherwise, so I looked around and found one stuck in a boulder lol. He kept trying to attack me and part of his body would clip through but he couldn't fully come out. I was able to kill him through the boulder and actually loot his ass too.

I'm already up to the seeker quest line on this new playthrough and haven't seen any bugs yet. Looking promising! Definitely enjoying the game so far :)

I just finished the main storyline. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with the story until about halfway through, then it hooked me. Really well done story and fun to boot. A lot of games have an "epic" showdown at the end, but this one really felt epic
, at least having gotten all the allies who cheer you on as you face the final boss

Plenty of posts have already described how fun the combat is and how good the world is. What really impressed me is the deceptive scale of the game; the game looks and feels much bigger than it actually is. It's like Disneyland where you see the castle and it seems huge, then you walk up to in and are surprised at how small it is. You see a mountain that seems miles away but you can run to it in a minute and be over the top in less than a minute. It makes the game feel huge when it really isn't.

I'm looking forward to the DLC, whatever it is.
Aloy's trek to Elisabet's corpse, Sylen's trek to wherever,
whatever it is I'm there.

mishakoz

Just finished. Incredible game, fantastic first shot by Guerilla into a new genre and creating some truly awesome enemies and world. Lots of room to improve for the sequel, but gosh darn it if they did this well the first time, the sequel will be incredible.

Joco

If I have one complaint against the game, it's the RNG of the loot system. Just spent an hour trying to get a boar skin for the last upgrade to the resources satchel. Probably took me 10 boar before I finally got the skin.

Planet

Some people would just like to lay on their backs and have grilled platinum trophies fly directly into their mouths... The game is extremely easy as it is. Any more so and you could as well play My Name is Mayo.

I went through the *mid-story spoiler*
Zero Dawn facility
last night, and I don't think I've been this enthralled by a game's story in years. Honestly, not since the first Mass Effect have I just devoured video game lore like this. I don't necessarily think the audiologs and text dumps are the best way of telling the story, but, well, I genuinely do want to know all the information they contain. Like, if I was Aloy, delving into these ancient ruins, I'd be standing there listening to the audiologs, too. It's not necessarily the most exciting gameplay, but goddamn is it a good story.

I'm at a point now where I desperately want to know how it's all going to shake out, but I don't want to just rush through all the story quests either. There are all these sidequests I want to see, Cauldrons I want to fight through and all manner of other stuff, but oh boy I can't wait to see how the main story goes.

TheRefresher

Neo Member
I finished the main quest line and got the platinum trophy last night. HZD is such a fun and beautiful looking game, I can't recommend it enough.

FYI, the soundtrack is available on Spotify.

I went through the *mid-story spoiler*
Zero Dawn facility
last night, and I don't think I've been this enthralled by a game's story in years. Honestly, not since the first Mass Effect have I just devoured video game lore like this. I don't necessarily think the audiologs and text dumps are the best way of telling the story, but, well, I genuinely do want to know all the information they contain. Like, if I was Aloy, delving into these ancient ruins, I'd be standing there listening to the audiologs, too. It's not necessarily the most exciting gameplay, but goddamn is it a good story.

I'm at a point now where I desperately want to know how it's all going to shake out, but I don't want to just rush through all the story quests either. There are all these sidequests I want to see, Cauldrons I want to fight through and all manner of other stuff, but oh boy I can't wait to see how the main story goes.

Yeah, I started the game thinking the overall premise/setting was adequate but nothing particularly novel, but by the end I was totally invested. Great job by the writers!

Phear

Guys... Help me to like this game. Beat Nioh and had a blast. Was very excited vor Horizon, played like 6 hours, but it doesn't click. Feels very monotone. Run there, scan that, walk there, kill that, run there. Does it get better?

I'm not trolling. I'm very serious, i want to lile it, i want to play through it, because it has got high praise. But i cant find any motivation.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Guys... Help me to like this game. Beat Nioh and had a blast. Was very excited vor Horizon, played like 6 hours, but it doesn't click. Feels very monotone. Run there, scan that, walk there, kill that, run there. Does it get better?

I'm not trolling. I'm very serious, i want to lile it, i want to play through it, because it has got high praise. But i cant find any motivation.

I played it after Nioh too, and I had a blast. The story is legit good, the visuals and vistas are breathtaking, and hunting machines is fun. Are you playing on Hard? Maybe it's too easy (and therefore boring) on Normal, so try that if you haven't already.

How far are you into the main quest?

Edit: missed the above posts, yeah, play on Hard man! Hunting some of the larger machines on Hard is no cakewalk, even with good weapon mods.

Tareskog

Can i change difficulty mid game? I'm Level 14, not too far in.

Yes. I changed it from medium to hard, and then back to medium again when I discovered how tough some of the encounters are later on... Or I just really suck at planning my battles.

Mashing

So, I'm right before the final battle and I must say the storyline up to this point has been fantastic. I was not expecting such a strong, well written story from this game. The story and Aloy's characterization vault this game up into one of my favorites of all time (this on top of the amazingly fun combat fighting robots). This and BOTW are neck and neck for my GOTY.

Ellite25

So, I'm right before the final battle and I must say the storyline up to this point has been fantastic. I was not expecting such a strong, well written story from this game. The story and Aloy's characterization vault this game up into one of my favorites of all time (this on top of the amazingly fun combat fighting robots). This and BOTW are neck and neck for my GOTY.
Completely agree with you. I usually check out during the story segments of games because they're so uninteresting but this game had me pushing through to find out what happened. Very engaging and unique. The last game that had me this engaged story wise was probably The Last of Us.

When compared to BoTW it's not even a contest. The story in BoTW is pointless and the combat is whatever. Zelda nails the exploration aspect of go anywhere and see what happens but Horizon basically wins at everything else.

"Hey! This character totally sounds like
Lt Cedric Daniels
."

Later on you find out it totally is! That dude's a cool actor. I like that guy.

"Hey! This character totally sounds like
Lt Cedric Daniels
."

Later on you find out it totally is! That dude's a cool actor. I like that guy.

Guy is a big fan of video games. He's been showing up in quite a few games.

I was falling off this game a little bit, because like with most open world RPGs I just get too easily side tracked. Been mainlining the main missions and picking up things along the path and I am 100% back in. The combat in this game and the world is so much better than other WRPGs I have played and bounced off of.

If I have one complaint against the game, it's the RNG of the loot system. Just spent an hour trying to get a boar skin for the last upgrade to the resources satchel. Probably took me 10 boar before I finally got the skin.

A bit of this and a bit of the game making you think that maybe you might need to save e.g. that Stormbird heart for something later (but you actually don't and can just sell that shit immediately).

Got back into this over the last week, after being sidetracked by Zelda for a month. Coming from that, it's especially frustrating that Aloy can only climb in pre-set locations. It's frustrating to look at at in-game scene and think "I could easily climb this in real life".

That's about the only complaint I have, though. The other thing that hit me coming from Zelda, which is a very pretty game, is that this one is absolutely jaw-dropping.

The combat is so satisfying. But my very favorite thing is overriding machines and letting them fight. It's pure joy! I haven't spent this much time getting enemies to fight each other since the original Doom. I love it so much that I've barely moved the main quest along, but I completed the last cauldron yesterday.

I think the best moment I've had so far is when I was getting chased by a Behemoth (that re-spawned a lot faster than I had expected), only to get saved by a Snapjaw that I'd overridden quite a while before (that I figured had disappeared by then). When it tore into the Behemoth, it felt like I'd just gotten saved by the T-Rex eating the Raptors at the end of Jurassic Park. I mean, I probably would've been okay, but it was still super cool.

And that led me to try and replicate the situation, overriding machines in one place and then drawing bigger baddies over to them. I beat my first ThunderJaw that way, and the first pair of RockBreakers I found as well.

calder

That doesn't sound bad at all for 50 hours. The spasming dead machine bug would have probably made me laugh haha. Actually I did have another strange bug in my initial playthrough for a side quest where you need to get a spear for Ana (or w/e her name was).

I was fighting some scrapers and thought I killed them all but the music was indicating otherwise, so I looked around and found one stuck in a boulder lol. He kept trying to attack me and part of his body would clip through but he couldn't fully come out. I was able to kill him through the boulder and actually loot his ass too.

I'm already up to the seeker quest line on this new playthrough and haven't seen any bugs yet. Looking promising! Definitely enjoying the game so far :)

Ahhh, I hope you got that figured out. Same thing happened to me I think (sounds the same but it's been a while) but I read online you just have to retrace your steps past by running down the main path *away* from the gate past the bridge, which 'reloads' the settlement properly and has the gates open for you.

You can fast travel to the fire right outside the gates but you need to run back to the bridge.

Top Bottom