• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Can I quickly complain about the climactic battle?

The part where I'm using a grenade launcher to defeat Deathbringers. What a sour note to finish on, I spent 20 minutes on this and currently don't really want to go back to the game. It's a set-piece event so I'm not really using any of the skills I developed in the rest of the game, just shelling melee and ranged combatants. It seems if I deviate in any way from the optimum sequence of attacks, or just get badly unlucky with incoming fire, then I have no hope of completing the challenge. Meanwhile it's long and repetitive and not fun to do more than three times, tops.

ty_hot

The part where I'm using a grenade launcher to defeat Deathbringers. What a sour note to finish on, I spent 20 minutes on this and currently don't really want to go back to the game. It's a set-piece event so I'm not really using any of the skills I developed in the rest of the game, just shelling melee and ranged combatants. It seems if I deviate in any way from the optimum sequence of attacks, or just get badly unlucky with incoming fire, then I have no hope of completing the challenge. Meanwhile it's long and repetitive and not fun to do more than three times, tops.

Plant some traps in the bridge so you get some extra time to kill them. I probably diesd 4-5 times in this sequence, but after the 3rd I could already kill them form far away... I was dying against the last ones that come later. And I thought the sequence was interesting.

Yup that's one of the best spot in the game to farm for rare mods, although I would switch to a freeze+blast sling combo at that point in the game since it pretty much beats the disc launcher in terms of damage and also you don't have to kill yourself trying to pick up the weapon ;)

xP I genuinely felt sorry for Aloy. I was so, so very bad.

Is it possible to reload a slightly older save and... y'know, complete a certain side mission which will help even the odds? Hmmmmm? *hint hint*
More specific hint:
Ancient Armoury

xP I genuinely felt sorry for Aloy. I was so, so very bad.

Is it possible to reload a slightly older save and... y'know, complete a certain side mission which will help even the odds? Hmmmmm? *hint hint*
More specific hint:
Ancient Armoury

I'm two cells short atm. I did kind of want that before finishing up the main quests but just kind of got sucked in. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a fan of saving my way out of things! It wouldn't improve my impression of this section of the game.

Traps is an interesting suggestion. I don't use them enough really, I seem to take more of a 'fists flying' approach to the combat. I'll try that, thank you.

Jacob4815

I agree. The last mission is one of my few complaints about the game.
And the final boss is disappointing as well.

danthefan

It could be armored. After you kill a certain number of a machine they star getting armor upgrades. The Snapmaw for example gets armor on it's blaze canisters that needs to be removed before they can be exploded.

Ahhhh right. So fire off a tear arrow first maybe.

Or is there a better way to remove armour?

shiba5

The thing that I didn't like about this sequence was
the controls for the grenade launcher. The number of times I didn't press both triggers at exactly the same microsecond and ended up doing a melee attack and dropping the weapon completely while something was rushing at me...well, that was pretty frustrating. When the grenade launcher worked well, it felt pretty good, but that was not the majority of the time.
I haven't heard this from a lot of other people though, so it could just be me.

This is only one of two times in the entire game that I felt like I was fighting the controls, which is pretty impressive, so kudos to Guerilla for that.

What do I do with all the random loot I pick up (hearts, lenses, etc)? Are there specific items that I buy with these or am I better off just selling them?

I've been wondering this too, since I've been butting up against a fully-upgraded inventory limit for hours now. It seems like there's only one outfit or weapon associated with a given robot's lens or heart, so I figure once you've bought those it's probably safe to sell any you get from then on. But then I feel like the moment I get rid of all mine I'll pick up a sidequest that needs one of each :p

Yeah, you need some of them for specific weapons/outfits but you can safely sell most of them. Keep one of each hearts/lens/other parts until you've got the weapons/outfits you want and sell off the remainder.

There's also a vendor in
Meridian
that sells robot parts if you can't be arsed to go hunting for loot. I kept a pretty full inventory for much of the game and the vast majority of robot parts I picked up never came in handy for anything other than selling for shards.

I'm two cells short atm. I did kind of want that before finishing up the main quests but just kind of got sucked in. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a fan of saving my way out of things! It wouldn't improve my impression of this section of the game.

Traps is an interesting suggestion. I don't use them enough really, I seem to take more of a 'fists flying' approach to the combat. I'll try that, thank you.

Good luck!

I agree. The last mission is one of my few complaints about the game.
And the final boss is disappointing as well.

I wonder how much easier I'd have found the final boss if I'd just gone in with fire arrows from the start...

+1 for being disappointed with the finale. Thankfully it wasn't enough to sour me on what had come before, but it was still pretty jarring due to its ammo sponginess it was.

I just ropped down the Thunderjaw, overrode it and then tag teamed the Ravagers with it.

I just snuck out from behind a rock and overrode the T-Jaw *just* after it put its foot down. It made short work of the Ravs d(^-^)b Obviously, I then paid it back for the two smooshings it gave me.

The Stormbird and Thunderjaw each have 12 different attacks they can do at the start - until you start tearing their parts off. Even the smallest machines have 5-6 different attacks.

12?! Wow. That's another thing which surprised me about HZD; the repertoire of attacks the machines possessed.

The thing that I didn't like about this sequence was
the controls for the grenade launcher. The number of times I didn't press both triggers at exactly the same microsecond and ended up doing a melee attack and dropping the weapon completely while something was rushing at me...well, that was pretty frustrating. When the grenade launcher worked well, it felt pretty good, but that was not the majority of the time.
I haven't heard this from a lot of other people though, so it could just be me.

This is only one of two times in the entire game that I felt like I was fighting the controls, which is pretty impressive, so kudos to Geurilla for that.

I am confused.
You just aim, charge the weapon with R2 and release to fire.
Why are you needing to time trigger presses?
I didn't really have an issue with it and only took one or two hits the whole time.

Hairsplash

It took me 113 hours to platinum it.
On easy... perhaps i should have played it on normal... the humans are perhaps too easy on that mode... but the dinos do not let up!

Bunga

It could be armored. After you kill a certain number of a machine they star getting armor upgrades. The Snapmaw for example gets armor on it's blaze canisters that needs to be removed before they can be exploded.

Well damn that explains a lot. I actually was fighting a couple of Snapmaws the other night and for the life of me fire arrows were not igniting their blaze canisters even though the shots were perfect. Finally realised after using a hardpoint arrow that their canisters were protected and they were then vulnerable to fire arrows after the armor had been removed.

Anyone know of any more examples of machines changing like this?

Paganmoon

How to beat
Thunderjaw
cauldron? Damn. Someone give me some tips. This fool and
his tail
are ripping me to shreds.

Shoot off it's disc launcher and use it against it for lots of damage, dodge alot (extra length dodge upgrade is good here), also, you can shoot the tail off, so it can't do the attack.

GeeTeeCee

I'm not sure why it took me so long to unlock the "knock an extra arrow (or two) on your bow" ability. It's amazing, and I should have known that from the start.

I had previously struggled to get a Blazing Sun on the shock trial at Valleymeet much earlier in the game. With a Shadow War Bow and the arrow skills, it took 20 seconds.

Glinthawks are also no longer the bane of my existence. One quick volley of fire arrows and down they go.

Found a good way to down a Snapmaw with just 6 fire arrows, Max out the Shadow Hunter Bow with Fire Mods X3 of 49% Should be 62, When you set the Snapmaws on fire the fire damage is gonna be 94 with over time damage of 54 which means it'll take 6 arrows to down it, But the good thing is you can down them from a safe distance.

Ropecaster + Tear arrows (for disc launchers) + rollin' rollin' rollin' (ad infinitum)

Pretty much. Ropecaster, tearblast the disc launchers and front guns and then just use sharpshoot arrows to hit it in it's heart.

The thunderjaw is so damn easy. I have a lot more difficulty with stormbirds.

Quite enjoying the new Horizon DLC!

horizonn9q3m.jpg

AllenShrz

Finished this game, what a fantastic ride, 10/10.

Now I cant pick up zelda again, lets just say that fighting green goblins is not as rewarding as fighting a thunderjaw.

Melchiah

Found a good way to down a Snapmaw with just 6 fire arrows, Max out the Shadow Hunter Bow with Fire Mods X3 of 49% Should be 62, When you set the Snapmaws on fire the fire damage is gonna be 94 with over time damage of 54 which means it'll take 6 arrows to down it, But the good thing is you can down them from a safe distance.

I've been using a similar setup for the most part of the game, but with a handling mod for the third slot. Dunno if it's needless though.

Since I've been missing the game the whole time I've played DS3's Ringed City, I'm going to return there today, and see what mods I can find.

Tear off disc launcher and face canons, rope him down, freeze him and then use the disc launcher, done.

I personally prefer freezing first as roping first and then freezing cuts down on the roped time and doesn't let you get as many hits in before it gets loose. It's really just a preference thing as once you hit it with a couple arrows it'll be loose anyhow.

And I actually really enjoyed the full last mission. I played on Hard the whole way through the game and didn't die during the last mission. But part of that was because I had a specific armor that handled it well.

Loved the game and one of a select set I've earned the platinum trophy. Also, amazed myself to spend 59 hours on the game and it never really felt a chore. Maybe a little when I focused on hunting to max all the bags and such but that's it.

Alpende

How to beat
Thunderjaw
cauldron? Damn. Someone give me some tips. This fool and
his tail
are ripping me to shreds.

Upgrade your gear as well. I went in there with a green Ropecaster on very hard and died quickly. Upgraded to a purple one and it was way easier.

gunstarhero

Good lawd - I just started this game recently and
became a seeker

This game is fucking amazing. So far the Hard setting seems to be a great balance of challenge.

I'm specing towards Prowler, with some points int he middle for spear buffs and whatnot. Is it possible to fill all 3 skill trees?

Good lawd - I just started this game recently and
became a seeker

This game is fucking amazing. So far the Hard setting seems to be a great balance of challenge.

I'm specing towards Prowler, with some points int he middle for spear buffs and whatnot. Is it possible to fill all 3 skill trees?
Yes you're going to be able to max and don't worry you're still gonna get your ass kicked later in the game if you're not careful =)

I am confused.
You just aim, charge the weapon with R2 and release to fire.
Why are you needing to time trigger presses?
I didn't really have an issue with it and only took one or two hits the whole time.

Hold on a second, I thought the instructions for using the
grenade launcher that were given during the sidequest in Freeheap where it's introduced said to hold down both L2 and R2 and release to fire. Is it really just R2? If so, I feel like a total idiot, and it would explain why that never seemed to work quite right for me.

Oh well, at least it will suck less when I do a second playthrough before Horizon 2.

grenade launcher that were given during the sidequest in Freeheap where it's introduced said to hold down both L2 and R2 and release to fire. Is it really just R2? If so, I feel like a total idiot, and it would explain why that never seemed to work quite right for me.

Oh well, at least it will suck less when I do a second playthrough before Horizon 2.

You hold down L2 to aim and hit R2 to fire, you don't have to hold both down. Or am I remembering this wrong? It's been a couple weeks.

Works the same as the bow. Hold L2 to aim, R2 to charge. Release R2 to fire.

Q8D3vil

This is what i want to see more from Sony. Not a glorified tech demos like the Uncharted series.

Love the variation, the world and the combat (minus melee). While its not perfect they built an amazing foundation that can be easily improve in the future.
I'm glad GG are not stuck on a Killzone bullshit and doing this instead.

I personally prefer freezing first as roping first and then freezing cuts down on the roped time and doesn't let you get as many hits in before it gets loose. It's really just a preference thing as once you hit it with a couple arrows it'll be loose anyhow.

And I actually really enjoyed the full last mission. I played on Hard the whole way through the game and didn't die during the last mission. But part of that was because I had a specific armor that handled it well.

Loved the game and one of a select set I've earned the platinum trophy. Also, amazed myself to spend 59 hours on the game and it never really felt a chore. Maybe a little when I focused on hunting to max all the bags and such but that's it.
This and Bloodborne are the only Platinums I have, they really are just cream of the crop enjoyable ass games with achievable non super bullshit platinums. They really do need to buff the Thunderjaws or something for the dlc, once you get used to fighting them they're a breeze. At least the Stormbird has a large health pool. Thunderjaw is pretty much just an oversized watcher with more attacks at this point. Granted I played on normal, but once you know how to deal with it, it's just...simple. Now two at the same time are a different story though.

Thunderjaw is pretty much just an oversized watcher with more attacks at this point. Granted I played on normal, but once you know how to deal with it, it's just...simple. Now two at the same time are a different story though.

Killing them only using bows and without tearblast arrows, on very hard, is a completely different experience. Tearblast, sticky bombs and ropes make the game much easier.

Melchiah

This and Bloodborne are the only Platinums I have, they really are just cream of the crop enjoyable ass games with achievable non super bullshit platinums.

That reminds of how I just recently realized, that all of my seven platinums have come from current gen exclusives. Most of them didn't involve grinding (aside from Driveclub, and Bloodborne's chalices), and none of them involved playing through a lengthy campaign on hard (Infamous was pretty short), or PVP multiplayer (aside from Driveclub's challenges). Hopefully that trend continues, as it gives me more incentive to keep on playing the games after completion.

Killing them only using bows and without tearblast arrows, on very hard, is a completely different experience. Tearblast, sticky bombs and ropes make the game much easier.
Yeah I can see how that can become a challenge. Also the fact that freeze bombs are more effective than the freeze arrows changes things up as well. I know I did my first few Thunderjaws without tying them down, but once I started doing that and using the freeze bombs they, just never felt like the same kind of encounter.
That reminds of how I just recently realized, that all of my seven platinums have come from current gen exclusives. Most of them didn't involve grinding (aside from Driveclub, and Bloodborne's chalices), and none of them involved playing through a lengthy campaign on hard (Infamous was pretty short), or PVP multiplayer (aside from Driveclub's challenges). Hopefully that trend continues, as it gives me more incentive to keep on playing the games after completion.
Tell me about it. I almost got the platinum in Uncharted 1, but I just never got the kill three dudes with one explosion trophy. I also didn't mind the Bloodborne chalices. The ones I hate the most are the MP trophies. I don't really touch MP so those are never happening. Just let me have fun with the game and give me fun trophies, grind fests are just never happening.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
giphy.gif

My reaction to the
final battle at the Spire.
That was incredibly tame.

Ok, it wasn't that bad, I just really wanted to use this gif.

Melchiah

Tell me about it. I almost got the platinum in Uncharted 1, but I just never got the kill three dudes with one explosion trophy. I also didn't mind the Bloodborne chalices. The ones I hate the most are the MP trophies. I don't really touch MP so those are never happening. Just let me have fun with the game and give me fun trophies, grind fests are just never happening.

It was pretty much the same to me with Mass Effect 3. I got trophies from everything else, but playing the game through on insanity, and hijacking an Atlas mech. I also skipped the grinding of items in Dark Souls 3, after getting the rest of the trophies.

I didn't mind the BB chalices either, but many seem to consider them grindy to play through. The only thing that irritated me in Horizon, was getting Blazing Suns from all Hunting grounds, but even those could be achieved on easy.

Top Bottom