• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

It was pretty much the same to me with Mass Effect 3. I got trophies from everything else, but playing the game through on insanity, and hijacking an Atlas mech. I also skipped the grinding of items in Dark Souls 3, after getting the rest of the trophies.

I didn't mind the BB chalices either, but many seem to consider them grindy to play through. The only thing that irritated me in Horizon, was getting Blazing Suns from all Hunting grounds, but even those could be achieved on easy.
I got the all Blazing Suns right before I beat the game, just put on easy, used the shield weaver armor and just cranked them out. Now I have lodge weapons with nothing to really use them on...that and being preoccupied with Persona 5 ain't helping.

Melchiah

I got the all Blazing Suns right before I beat the game, just put on easy, used the shield weaver armor and just cranked them out. Now I have lodge weapons with nothing to really use them on...that and being preoccupied with Persona 5 ain't helping.

I also used the Nora Silent Hunter outfit, with two stealth mods, to clear the Spurflints Hunting Grounds. Those stealth trials were some of the hardest for me.

I just returned to the game to try out the Lodge weapons, and hunt better mods.

I also used the Nora Silent Hunter outfit, with two stealth mods, to clear the Spurflints Hunting Grounds. Those stealth trials were some of the hardest for me.

I just returned to the game to try out the Lodge weapons, and hunt better mods.
That's exactly what I did for the stealth trials, the pain part was finding the watchers fast enough. Funny enough killing the stalkers was the easy part of that trial.

4g0F4Aa.gif
this is absurd....

Absurd!!!

Melchiah

That's exactly what I did for the stealth trials, the pain part was finding the watchers fast enough. Funny enough killing the stalkers was the easy part of that trial.

That was definitely the hardest trial for me as well. In the end, I marked them all before I started the timer. The same goes for the Stalker trial, which was surprisingly easy compared to that.

That was definitely the hardest trial for me as well. In the end, I marked them all before I started the timer. The same goes for the Stalker trial, which was surprisingly easy compared to that.
I didn't even bother marking them...cause I'm lazy, I always just through myself in there and ran through the bushes or whatever. I eventually got it, but that one was seriously frustrating. Doing the Thunderjaw trials were quicker.

Alpende

Just got the platinum in 50 hours. Loved my time with the game but now it's time to play something else. I've been playing it since I got it.

Are the lodge weapons better than the Shadow gear? I think I'm at the last mission, but with a bunch of side quests left to do.

The thinderjaws drop good mods, so most my gear is powerful.

Alpende

Are the lodge weapons better than the Shadow gear? I think I'm at the last mission, but with a bunch of side quests left to do.

The thinderjaws drop good mods, so most my gear is powerful.

They are better but not by a whole lot imo. You get
a blast sling, the elemental bow and a ropecaster.

Are the tutorials missions necessary for he Platinum? Is beating the game in Insanity needed too? I'm playing on hard. I hate that this game has 3/4 of its trophies hidden!

Ok.

Any easy way to know which training statues I've yet to destroy? I punched some at the start before knowing they were a trophy so now I don't know which I have left.

Mmm no, there's a short number of them I could tell you how much, you can track how much you've destroyed on the statistics menu, and they're all on the embrace, the Nora land so is not that you have to search a lot.

32 hours into this game and today it has hard crashed on me (twice) for the first time in my entire playthrough. Once while fighting a thunderjaw in a cauldron, another time while the game was paused(!) as I went to the bathroom. Why...?

fantomena

Just finished the game. I found the
final battle against Hades
first to be really bullshit and difficulty. Then I changed my tactic to simply walking, running and dodging while shooting arrows and it got easier.

It was a very good and enjoyable game overall. However Im gonna uninstall it now and perhaps pick it up later sometime when Im more interested to do more side quests and other activites. I reached level 28 I think when I was finished.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
32 hours into this game and today it has hard crashed on me (twice) for the first time in my entire playthrough. Once while fighting a thunderjaw in a cauldron, another time while the game was paused(!) as I went to the bathroom. Why...?

Aloy doesn't like when you take a dump during gameplay

mitchman

Gold Member
So I finished the game for the 2nd time, but couldn't really be bothered to double platinum it. Now the wait for a DLC..

LadyRiven

How do you guys play it for like 80 hours. I've recently launched it again and my playtime was 48 hours, I did everything and got platinum, howwwwww.

I'm at 103 hours and I haven't platinum'ed yet. I think the biggest thing probably is that I have spent about 1 zillion hours using photo mode, exploring and just taking in everything. Screenshots have been a huge part of this game for me. I also avoided finishing the main story until I hit 100 hours. I only have all blazing suns for 2 hunting grounds right now and I apparently missed a few dozen world datapoints that I plan to search for once I'm done with the hunting grounds.

yurinka

Nintendo, I want fishing rods in this game.

Es6P7.png

No rods in BotW = 1/10 worst Zelda ever, preorder cancelled etc. Well... I want a refund, I only played 215+ hours.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cross posting from the favorite machines thread:

I'm level 33 and really enjoying the game mostly for the visuals and the story, but I don't feel like the combat is very fair in the game once the shit hits the fan.

I feel like it requires you to do so much precision aiming to really excel at the combat and be a badass, but the systems just don't support that. Maybe I just suck, I don't know.

I find myself exploiting the terrain a lot of the time to just lob arrows at machines (usually catching them on fire first when possible and then spamming them with the hard-head arrows). Otherwise, some of the encounters just seem ridiculously unfair.

Even with 520 health, I can get two shot by some of the bigger guys. Don't even get me started on the huge beast that burrows under the ground and launches rocks at you...

Any tips for getting less bad at this game? I'm not dying a lot, but I never feel like I'm doing well at any of the encounters outside of the stealth situations, but again that's just exploiting dumb AI and the whistle mechanic.

I'm level 33 and really enjoying the game mostly for the visuals and the story, but I don't feel like the combat is very fair in the game once the shit hits the fan.

I feel like it requires you to do so much precision aiming to really excel at the combat and be a badass, but the systems just don't support that. Maybe I just suck, I don't know.

I find myself exploiting the terrain a lot of the time to just lob arrows at machines (usually catching them on fire first when possible and then spamming them with the hard-head arrows). Otherwise, some of the encounters just seem ridiculously unfair.

Even with 520 health, I can get two shot by some of the bigger guys. Don't even get me started on the huge beast that burrows under the ground and launches rocks at you...

Any tips for getting less bad at this game? I'm not dying a lot, but I never feel like I'm doing well at any of the encounters outside of the stealth situations, but again that's just exploiting dumb AI and the whistle mechanic.

Use ropecaster to stop the bigger machines, use the slingshot to deal masive damage, use fire elemental to deal damage over time.

You should be able to acces a kind of Blast Slingshot, and a Bow with Fire Arrows (you have to spam a little to set the enemy ablaze).
So, use arrows for precision and poking, change to slingshot when there's an opening and spam some bombs.
If you have an ice elemental weapon is gg, use that and once the machine is frozen use bombs. You'll complain the game is too easy after that.

I'm most of the way through a hardcore run (very hard, only hunter/war bows and melee), and I can tell you combat is pretty fair. Yeah, it requires precision, it requires knowledge of the various weak points for the machines, constant movement and pretty good spatial awareness to be really, really good at the game. It pays off, though.

If you're not doing something insane like I am, the Ropecaster and Shock Bombs are very useful to disable the machines and give you a few instants to get a few good shots at weak points. Freeze Bombs can get them frozen pretty fast and massively improve your damage output. Savvy use of Concentration, having Concentration+ and Fast Reload will help immensely with hitting weak points - abuse Concentration, seriously. Also Triple Shot seems to hit a wider area, so it gives you a bit of leeway.

Plan your encounters. Observe from the bushes, know who you're going to take out first and why. Fliers are usually my priority targets because they get annoying really, really fast. If enemies are in tight formations, exploit exploding canisters. Laying traps isn't really my style, but I've seen it done to very good results, either with the Tripcaster or the consumable Traps.

Take advantage of new equipment, and take advantage of new abilities all the time (bullet time is essential for some precision shots). Learn weak points and elemental advantages to be more efficient with your combat choices.

I think Horizon's combat is best approached as a puzzle and less like you would approach a traditional action game or shooter. I always have a game plan going in. My first action is usually always a volley of tear arrowsto try to eliminate any ranged weapons that will be problematic, or that I want to use. Then I go to work on exposing and exploiting weak points w/ area of effect damage.

Always be moving!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I get serious Battlestar Galactica vibes from the soundtrack in this game.

That's a very, very good thing.

LadyRiven

Nintendo, I want fishing rods in this game.

Es6P7.png

No rods in BotW = 1/10 worst Zelda ever, preorder cancelled etc. Well... I want a refund, I only played 215+ hours.

Yes!
I know a lot of people hate fishing in games, but I'm a total sucker for it. Especially with a game like Horizon, where sitting around quietly enjoying the scenery is absolutely perfect for fishing. pls guerrilla

LadyRiven

Thats awesome, what armor is this?

Those are the Shadow Stalwart and Shadow Stalwart Heavy armor sets that you get after you do the story quest in the Shadow Carja city. (Regular version is given to you, the heavy version you can buy from a vendor after you get the regular version.)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd actually love a fishing game but make it interesting, active and a part of the Horizon world. Something like spear fishing for giant robot sturgeon or maybe net fishing in the shallows, something that isn't just standing there waiting for a random fish to bite. I love how the really raised the bar high for open world combat and would love to see them do that ofr other elements of the game. I'd even love them to try this kind of thinking out with the conversation gameplay maybe taking some cues from games like Oxenfree.

Radec

Killing them only using bows and without tearblast arrows, on very hard, is a completely different experience. Tearblast, sticky bombs and ropes make the game much easier.

Fighting them while positioning for a better photo mode capture is also a different experience.

I spent too much time on that lol

We still have time to prepare for the inevitable robocalypse

I'd actually love a fishing game but make it interesting, active and a part of the Horizon world. Something like spear fishing for giant robot sturgeon or maybe net fishing in the shallows, something that isn't just standing there waiting for a random fish to bite. I love how the really raised the bar high for open world combat and would love to see them do that ofr other elements of the game. I'd even love them to try this kind of thinking out with the conversation gameplay maybe taking some cues from games like Oxenfree.

The worst of fishing in Horizon today is: Guess you need a specific fish resource, you kill a fish and the needed resource pop, you get into the water and try to grab it but it tells you your inventory is full, so no problem you'll just discard another item... well you can't, you have to step out of the water, discard the item, go in again and grab the resource. -_-

At least I want an arrow with a wire that lets me kill fishes and pull the resource with it. You could even do it with enemies, small enemies, you pull them to your position and do a critical strike.
Another combat idea would be to use the ropecaste on a machine and when you have it tight you light the wires with an elemental property, once the machine is covered in flames or frozen the wires releases.

forrest

formerly nacire
Started this yesterday and having a great time so far. Playing on very hard, custom HUD, no compass, no weapon/ammo or stealth display, no way points, everything else on dynamic.

Haven't even left Mothers Embrace yet and I'm level 8, maxed resource capacity, bought a long range bow and aoe sling and upgraded about all of the other inventories a couple of times.

Gorgeous game and it runs great. Can't wait to get into the larger machines where the fights take more time/planning.

Venture

Just sell some stuff, you probably have way more than you need. 1 stack of each type of item is enough, except for main crafting items. It'll vary depending on how you play but I like to keep about:

2 stacks of Ridgewood, Sparkers, Chillwater, and Blaze. Very common and you'll pick up tons of this stuff.

3 to 4 stacks of Wire, Echo Shells, Metal vessels, and Metalburn. These are a little less common.

1 stack of everything else. Rare items but you never need very many of them.

Gaminar

Banned
Finished the game. It was amazing. Except the ending fight was quite anti-climactic. So was a bit disappointed.

For those asking questions.

1) If you're getting 2 shotted for health then get the Melee armor that helps with 30% melee resistance and then modify it with 2 more very rare ones if you can find them... you'll barely lose health.

2) The armor in Sunhi's gif is given to you for a later mission but you can return and get the "heavy" version of it later by the vendor there.

3) You can platinum on Easy.

Top Bottom