• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

hTBWIeg.gif
This is fucking witchcraft bruh.

SoundLad

Just purchased yesterday on my ps4 pro and played through the tutorial.

I'm playing on a 1080p monitor and can't tell the difference between resolution and performance modes. It's strange since I can always see a difference in IQ on PC games that I downsample. Is the AA solution just that good in performance mode? I realize the difference would be noticeable on a 4k set but it's not obvious at all on a 1080p monitor.

All the info I've found say that performance mode is slightly smoother in some scenarios but is there anything else that improves in performance mode (effects, LOD, etc)? My gut says to stick performance mode but would like some feedback from posters here if possible, thanks!

Dundar

I'm playing on a 1080p monitor and can't tell the difference between resolution and performance modes. It's strange since I can always see a difference in IQ on PC games that I downsample. Is the AA solution just that good in performance mode? I realize the difference would be noticeable on a 4k set but it's not obvious at all on a 1080p monitor.

I was totally unable to perceive a difference on image quality on Favor Reso mode too. So I stick with performance.
Actually, I still haven't seen a game where the downsample actually makes a difference, but I digress. Horizon is pretty much perfect in image quality even on 1080p so I guess that's why it seems so similar.

SoundLad

I was totally unable to perceive a difference on image quality on Favor Reso mode too. So I stick with performance.
Actually, I still haven't seen a game where the downsample actually makes a difference, but I digress. Horizon is pretty much perfect in image quality even on 1080p so I guess that's why it seems so similar.

Thanks! I have Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank in my library and the downsampling effect is clear as day in those games, especially Ratchet & Clank.

I guess Horizon just uses some secret AA voodoo to get it looking so good in 1080p/performance mode.

Someone mentioned this workaround in an earlier thread. If the gate is closed, run down the path away from the gate, cross the bridge, wait a few moments, and then head back to the gate. It should now be open. This worked for me multiple times.

I went away for a while and came back in the evening and it was open.

I'm going to guess he played through the same cutscene twice with different armours on.

Will try both ways right now

Mini, not really spoilers but still tagging to be sure
By the time you can actually finish the armor quest you'll be able to get back in to All Mother, no need to rush it.
None of these workarounds worked for me.

They didn't work for me as well

I will try after I grab second to last power cell

A later mission will take you back inside dont worry as the last one comes after that as well so there is no rush for the mothers one.

Its not a problem, by the time you get the last power cell, you'll already have come back to mother's mountain.

Okay I feel better now

I'm about to
crash the network

Hmmmm, I can only assume the All-Mother has decided you're not worthy and will never get the armour.

Bad luck mate.

Lol

Skux

Just purchased yesterday on my ps4 pro and played through the tutorial.

All the info I've found say that performance mode is slightly smoother in some scenarios but is there anything else that improves in performance mode (effects, LOD, etc)? My gut says to stick performance mode but would like some feedback from posters here if possible, thanks!

The difference is almost imperceptible thanks to the great AA of 1080p performance mode. In performance mode the DoF is slightly better and that's about it lol.

I found that some frame drops were noticable in resolution mode, especially with lots of alpha effects like when you get close to a machine in the shock state where lighting is arcing all over the screen. Performance mode helped with those.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I still haven't finished this. Stopped at (what I assume is) the final mission. lol idk why. I need to push through it.

The credits are the longest I've seen since MGS4! It's been like 20 min and it's still going!

I loved that final scene. It's been a long time since I liked a long solo game like this, I usually drop them pretty fast these days. I hope GG ditch Killzone and use Horizon as their main franchise!

Edit : post credit scene! Hype + 100!

Evolved1

The credits are the longest I've seen since MGS4! It's been like 20 min and it's still going!

I loved that final scene. It's been a long time since I liked a long solo game like this, I usually drop them pretty fast these days. I hope GG ditch Killzone and use Horizon as their main franchise!

Edit : post credit scene! Hype + 100!
I still want a KZ2 remaster though.

That game was brilliant.

Evolved1

Can I complain about some stuff I don't like? Basically some things I hope they do another pass on in the sequel... before you guys breath fire though I should state: 1) I've played this game well over 100 hours, and 2) HZD is already an all-time favorite of mine... top 10 game.

So it's well-meant, constructive criticism.

I don't like how outfits worked. Too often the outfit you were "supposed" to wear didn't fit the location. And it looked weird to be running along in heavy ice clothes whilst in an arid climate. I like the freedom of that, but I would much rather they tied outfits to the setting more than the enemy. Possible solutions are to change the enemy's attack type to fit the climate (even though I did enjoy the fire and ice type of juxtapositions you could get) or possibly change the way armor works. Maybe a layer system, were the base layer is cosmetic (or has some light survival effect) and the stuff you add to it gives you the defensive bonuses. Maybe stripping away the defensive layers raises your stealth rating. Idk. Whatever. Just hope they take another pass on outfits.

Better hunting, stalking, and stealth. One of the coolest things in the game is when Aloy is crawling on all fours above a predator. It's a super cool animation that is basically entirely cosmetic (basically just crouch-walk on a steep enough incline) but it gives you an awesome feeling of hunting the hunter in a very primal, predatory way. Makes me wonder what they could do if they explored that type of stalking gameplay in a way that wasn't just cosmetic. My thought is that you could trigger stalking by having your weapons holstered while in stealth. Which brings me to...

I HATE WHEN GAMES AUTO-DRAW YOUR WEAPONS! Pet peeve territory, but I REALLY hate that shit. There are some exceptions, but more often than not it's annoying, especially if it's proximity based. Please stop. Please. Stop.

Aloy holds her spear waaaay too low and it looks dumb/awkward. If she held the spear closer to the top it would greatly improve every related animation and screenshot. It just looks wrong as is. Surprised a team this good let that get through. I do however appreciate that the spear vanishes when put away. Unrealistic, sure, but better aesthetically... definitely the right choice.

God why does the mount auto-slow down? This is seriously fucking annoying. This is the most annoying thing in the game. This aggravates me even thinking about it.

I don't really like the horizontal bow draw while crouched. I just don't like how it looks. And you see it too much. Maybe if it was just the lighter bows I wouldn't mind, but idk. Vertical draw just looks better, especially in screenshots.

I really want to to talk and talk about how they could improve and flesh out the stealth mechanics and systems (this is where I see the most potential for growth) but I'll stop now lol.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm only like 15 hours in so far but I just started playing last week.

It just keeps pulling me in more and more. I'm already blown away. GG GG.

Robiin

Is the hunting grounds quest(s) supposed to always be "open"?

I'm trying to get 100% and I just got every blazing sun on the first one (Nora Hunting Grounds) but afterwards it still shows up in open activities in the quest log. Green checkmark next to each test, but it still just says "start quest".

Rien

Jelly Belly
I'd be surprised if the final games looks exactly like that.

Scenarios and performance might change dramatically. This is a vertical slice put together for presentation purposes.

Well.. we said the same abt HZD and Uncharted 4 and they end up looking exact the same as their gameplay reveal.. even better in some parts..

Or do you mean something else :p

Floody

Scenarios and performance might change dramatically. This is a vertical slice put together for presentation purposes.

I dunno SSM are pretty damn good at pushing PS hardware to it's limits, GoW 2 is arguably the PS2's best looking game, GoW 3 (or Ascensions, never played it so can't say with that) is arguably PS3's best looking game, I wouldn't be surprised if they deliver that.

Floody

Is the hunting grounds quest(s) supposed to always be "open"?

I'm trying to get 100% and I just got every blazing sun on the first one (Nora Hunting Grounds) but afterwards it still shows up in open activities in the quest log. Green checkmark next to each test, but it still just says "start quest".

Yeah, you can always replay them, they'll have little emblems next to them when you talk to the guy if you've beat them, 1 for each rank. Have you been to the Hunters Lodge? You get a quest to beat all them from there.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I dunno SSM are pretty damn good at pushing PS hardware to it's limits, GoW 2 is arguably the PS2's best looking game, GoW 3 (or Ascensions, never played it so can't say with that) is arguably PS3's best looking game, I wouldn't be surprised if they deliver that.

I would be surprised if they didnt deliver that

Harmen

I expect it to, actually. SSM has always been one of the most technical proficient developers for the PS. Granted, this time they are stepping into different territory by not having a fixed camera, but I have high expectations.

Cracklox

So I've finally been playing this for the last week and now really enjoying it. The game says I'm around 49% complete but I'm trying to do all the side quests errands etc along the way too, so I'm not sure exactly how far in the story I am.The last 2 story missions I did were the
missile command (which was great)
and
The assassination attempt on the king (not so great. More on that below)

Anyway I had pretty high expectations and after a bit of a slow start everything started to click. The combat, especially against the big stuff is so good. I love setting up a stupid amount of ropecaster traps and luring stuff into them. The story is also getting really interesting and I'm keen to see where it goes. One thing though that I gotta mention that's been bugging me

It suffers from the same old mistake that 99% of other games with conversation wheels suffers from. That is the old 'you stand exactly there, and I'm a stand right the fuck here, and lets just chat yo'. Seriously this irks me, especially here, when everything else is so immersive, and then I have to go have another unnatural sounding chat to learn about some of the admittedly interesting lore. The only games I can think of that I've played that got this right are the Witcher 3 and to a lesser extent Mass Effect 3 (haven't played Andromeda). People do things while they are talking and move around etc, which is kinda what people do in the real world. Anyway its prob my main gripe, and one of few I have overall

Also just regarding the above midgamish mission
the assassination attempt
,what was up with
this guys dramatic backup plan involving calling in 6 Glinthawks. Like, for real bro? I thought they missed a good opportunity to have the city swarmed by them, and you would have go around helping defend areas etc. It could have looked visually very cool. But nope, just 6 :(

pixelbox

So resolution mode all the way. Better LOD and texture work. This is probably due to the many parts that makes up the texture being applied further out in this mode. But LOD issues bothers me the most in games and this seems to have solved it.

the assassination attempt[/SPOILER],what was up with
this guys dramatic backup plan involving calling in 6 Glinthawks. Like, for real bro? I thought they missed a good opportunity to have the city swarmed by them, and you would have go around helping defend areas etc. It could have looked visually very cool. But nope, just 6 :(

The dialogue wheels were totally pointless and didn't need to be there at all imo.

With regards to your final point, it's probably a limitation of the game engine. Same reason why machines have an area that they stay in and they won't cross those boundaries, to prevent you from kiting/pulling them into one huge fight with 50 machines running around trying to kill you.

SoundLad

So resolution mode all the way. Better LOD and texture work. This is probably due to the many parts that makes up the texture being applied further out in this mode. But LOD issues bothers me the most in games and this seems to have solved it.

Link to source?
Also, are you playing on a 4K display? Cheers!

Pif

Banned
Well.. we said the same abt HZD and Uncharted 4 and they end up looking exact the same as their gameplay reveal.. even better in some parts..

Or do you mean something else :p

I only meant it might change. While Uncharted got a whole scene cut off and some slight downgrade (the fly on the face scene), Horizon in my eyes got an upgrade from the initial reveal.

For the better or for the worse, I'll just be surprised if it remains exactly like we saw, same level, character clothes and all that jazz.

Anyway

Just came home with Horizon in my hands. Installing now. From Hyrule to... future texas, or wtf is this game. I hope I'm in for a treat like Zelda. Been waiting A Long Time for this, fam.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I only meant it might change. While Uncharted got a whole scene cut off and some slight downgrade (the fly on the face scene), Horizon in my eyes got an upgrade from the initial reveal.

For the better or for the worse, I'll just be surprised if it remains exactly like we saw, same level, character clothes and all that jazz.

Anyway

Just came home with Horizon in my hands. Installing now. From Hyrule to... future texas, or wtf is this game. I hope I'm in for a treat like Zelda. Been waiting A Long Time for this, fam.

Perfect clear!! Thanx

About HZD... i hope you enjoy it as much as i did. Have fun.

Skux

Just finished the story. What a ride!

Game of the generation for me so far. And one of my top 10 single player games of all time for sure.

The world, the storytelling, the characters, the gameplay, the graphics, the music, the whole package is outstanding. Such an ambitious concept is wonderfully realised with an incredible level of polish and completeness that had me hooked from beginning to end.

Guerrilla I know you read "The GAF", and if you're reading this, congratulations. The game is a triumph and I can't wait to see what's next for Aloy and Horizon.

Mubrik

I think I've tried all possible ways to get a heart to drop from machines but it just isn't working.
Used tear arrows to rip apart everything.
Only get chilled water lol.
Used just spear.
Get nothing.
Avoid shooting canisters.
Nothing
Is there a way to guarantee 100% heart drop from the machines?.
And why is not boldly written before I sell machine hearts to merchants that "HEY BRUV YOU CAN ALSO USE THIS SHIT TO BUY WEAPONS AND OUTFIT, OH! YOU CAN'T BUY THEM BACK!"

E: it's written that it can be traded. my bad lol.
you cant buy them bck still tho

I think I've tried all possible ways to get a heart to drop from machines but it just isn't working.
Used just spear.
Get nothing.
Nothing
And why is not boldly written before I sell machine hearts to merchants that "HEY BRUV YOU CAN ALSO USE THIS SHIT TO BUY WEAPONS AND OUTFIT, OH! YOU CAN'T BUY THEM BACK!"
Pray more to RNGesus.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Used just spear.
Get nothing.
Nothing

You can but these items from a vendor in Meridian

Used just spear.
Get nothing.
Nothing

Upgrade you skills that drop more loot. Also, it does tell you. It says something to the effect of 'trade with merchants' and 'sell for shards'.

Top Bottom