• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered vs Original PS5 Early Graphics Comparison

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Most of the trailer looks like difference in color grading and some higher draw distance in some far shots.

Rost looks less detailed in the remaster for some reason. They removed the blemishes from his face and changed his hair color.

qEc5wnu.png

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Most of the trailer looks like difference in color grading and some higher draw distance in some far shots.

Rost looks less detailed in the remaster for some reason. They removed the blemishes from his face and changed his hair color.

qEc5wnu.png
The right one is from a web video, right? Can't be this bad.

solecon64

This is 100% fake because there's no way they actually made her face fatter for the remaster. No. I get the memes for Horizon 2. I get that they actually did make her fatter in Horizon 2. But there's no way they did it in the first one as well, right?! No.

Stuart360

The remaster looks worse imo. Its like when you sometimes get one of these low effort AA remasters where they change certain graphics just for the sake of it, and those changed graphics done look any better.

Vick

Gold Member
yo thats worse.
Watch the video.

And that frame, in the OG, is from a Pre-Rendered video. Not real-time.

This is 100% fake because there's no way they actually made her face fatter for the remaster. No. I get the memes for Horizon 2. I get that they actually did make her fatter in Horizon 2. But there's no way they did it in the first one as well, right?! No.
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

WKEn8LK.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You guys are nuts. they are literally reusing hfw assets and lighting which were a huge step up from the original. some character models will look different. Rost in that screenshot is literally only in there for the intro cutscene. he's much older after that.

every other character looks to have gotten a huge boost. This guy looks insane.

vBBi3Rj.gif

In gameplay, they have brought over the same exact foliage quality, hero lighting, character models and lighting.

FunkMiller

I'd love to know how long it takes to put together these fucking pointless remasters, and what else the dev team could have been working on instead in that time.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I prefer the original. $10 for crap like this is ridiculous.

I think some npcs will get a bigger boost though. Im sure some parts will be better but trailer was pretty underwhelming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

kevboard

CHJl57D.gif

X8SN93Z.gif

New :

vs.png

Old :

Horizon-Zero-Dawn-2020-11-27-12-58-16-448.jpg

if people still don't believe that we hit a massive wall of diminishing returns when it comes to rasterised graphics, I think they're just in denial.

at no point in the past could you look at a cross gen remaster and see elements of the remaster that look lower fidelity than the original version.

and the reality of the matter is that these elements that look lower fidelity are very probably actually objectively speaking high fidelity than the original.
as in, they probably have higher resolution textures, probably higher fidelity effects that cost more GPU time, and even higher poly models.

yet, some of these look in parts worse in the remaster than the original. the second image being the worst offender of course, but the others also have elements about them that look less natural and lower fidelity... when again, probably they aren't lower fidelity, objectively speaking.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'd love to know how long it takes to put together these fucking pointless remasters, and what else the dev team could have been working on instead in that time.
It’s literally copy paste. There are rebuilfing the game on the new version of the same decima engine and replacing the assets.

Most characters are using the character models from the sequel. So the only new work went into refoing characters that were not in the sequel.

Nixxes did this and they basically do 3-4 ports a year. They released ratchet in July, Horizon in feb or March, ghosts in may, and now this remaster in October. 15 months 4 ports.

TommyCronin6969

Gold Member
You guys are nuts. they are literally reusing hfw assets and lighting which were a huge step up from the original. some character models will look different. Rost in that screenshot is literally only in there for the intro cutscene. he's much older after that.

every other character looks to have gotten a huge boost. This guy looks insane.

vBBi3Rj.gif

In gameplay, they have brought over the same exact foliage quality, hero lighting, character models and lighting.
HybWkTh.gif

Top Bottom