• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Watched Sinister not too long ago and enjoyed it.

But I guessed the ending from a literal mile away.

It seemed so obvious that the kids had killed their families.
Didn't guess the 'lol a demon was responsible' nonsense.
That really cheapened it for me

The name of the demon killed it for me
Bagaul?
I couldn't take it serious after that.

Melchiah

He has several mediocre to crappy films, so you aren't missing out on a whole lot.

If you've seen Audition, Ichi the Killer, Zatoichi, Visitor Q, Full Metal Yakuza, One Missed Call, his Masters of Horror flick, his 3 extremes flick, Dead or Alive, and Thirteen Assassins you are probably good to go.

He has a few others that are decent like Zebraman but not really all that great.

I've seen the bolded (Audition being my favorite), and parts of Visitor Q and The Happiness of the Katakuris. I haven't watched his movies in about five years, as I got pretty bored with Asian horror films after seeing too many of them within a short period of time. Especially as they tend to repeat the same formula.

Ringu was the first Asian film I saw (I imagine I'm not alone with that), and it's still my favorite of them all. I just adored the atmosphere, the soundtrack, and the finale with Sadako coming from the TV; the unnatural way she moved, facial figures always obscured by the long black hair, the brief grotesque glimpse of her eye and torn nails. Too bad they failed miserably to re-act that all in the remake. Showing too much is never a good thing in a horror movie.

Not exactly "horror" but I saw "John Dies at the End" last night. I going to have to read the book because everyone always says how good it is. The movie...notsomuch. It felt like a pilot for a TV show. It wasn't BAD just not what I was expecting.

WorldStar

Banned
I've seen the bolded (Audition being my favorite), and parts of Visitor Q and The Happiness of the Katakuris. I haven't watched his movies in about five years, as I got pretty bored with Asian horror films after seeing too many of them within a short period of time. Especially as they tend to repeat the same formula.

Ringu was the first Asian film I saw (I imagine I'm not alone with that), and it's still my favorite of them all. I just adored the atmosphere, the soundtrack, and the finale with Sadako coming from the TV; the unnatural way she moved, facial figures always obscured by the long black hair, the brief grotesque glimpse of her eye and torn nails. Too bad they failed miserably to re-act that all in the remake. Showing too much is never a good thing in a horror movie.

Dead or Alive and 13 Assassins are both not horror movies, you might enjoy them.

Dead or Alive can be a bit cheesy at times but I like it a lot. 13 Assassins is just a great film all around: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/13_assassins_2011/

Visitor Q is also not horror but it is weird as fuck.

Melchiah

Dead or Alive and 13 Assassins are both not horror movies, you might enjoy them.

Dead or Alive can be a bit cheesy at times but I like it a lot. 13 Assassins is just a great film all around: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/13_assassins_2011/

Visitor Q is also not horror but it is weird as fuck.

Yeah, I know, I just don't find them interesting enough, eventhough a couple of my friends have praised Visitor Q to me. I might check out 13 Assassins at some point though.

snarge

Not exactly "horror" but I saw "John Dies at the End" last night. I going to have to read the book because everyone always says how good it is. The movie...notsomuch. It felt like a pilot for a TV show. It wasn't BAD just not what I was expecting.

I didn't know it was based on a book, I'll have to check that out. I showed up just because it was Don Coscarelli.
I see what you're saying, and agree a bit. The movie felt like it forgot its own plot at times...and then came back together in certain parts...assuming knowledge that maybe is part of the book. Still, I loved it, for being a trippy weird movie with more than a couple of nods to Cronenberg style monsters.

WorldStar

Banned
About to watch Cabin Fever 2. Expectations: extremely low.

Must admit, the first one is a little bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
I just started re-watching the Puppet Master series last night. HUGE guilty pleasure of mine. Though, I'll only watch to five. The others.. I like to pretend they don't exist.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I just started re-watching the Puppet Master series last night. HUGE guilty pleasure of mine. Though, I'll only watch to five. The others.. I like to pretend they don't exist.

Full Moon without Paramount doesn't exist.

Longshot

Watched Insidious the other night, wasn't expecting much from a PG-13 haunted house flick but some parts had me pretty scared. Looking forward to what they're gonna do with the sequel.

kinggroin

Banned
With every viewing, Society shoots up the list of my favorite hokey horror films.

I'm such a sucker for practical gore fx, and this one has it in spades at the end.

Vortex566

Sinister is a horrible and oppressive movie. Insidious was good, but the second half just fell a part for me.

Question:

The Shining or Poltergeist, which of these two films do you consider to be a better horror film?

Melchiah

Sinister is a horrible and oppressive movie. Insidious was good, but the second half just fell a part for me.

Question:

The Shining or Poltergeist, which of these two films do you consider to be a better horror film?

The Shining by far.

And I liked Sinister a lot more than Insidious. Granted, the latter half isn't quite on the par with the first, but it still didn't ruin the movie for me. The first half, the video reels and the soundtrack are just amazing.

With every viewing, Society shoots up the list of my favorite hokey horror films.

I'm such a sucker for practical gore fx, and this one has it in spades at the end.

I just watched that for the first time over the weekend. Great flick. Shame they don't make stuff like that anymore.

I don't know who owns the rights to it, but I really hope Scream Factory snags it up for a North America Blu-ray release, it seems like it's right up their alley.

WorldStar

Banned
What's with Netflix randomly removing crap?

Was finally about to watch Sinister and now it is gone...?

Also, I picked up every volume of Masters of Horror on bluray for $2 each at Frys. :D

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member

Question:

The Shining, totally. Just had that real creepy/ I'm going out of my fucking mind, feel to it. Classic and love it.

How about the original Amityville Horror? Not the.. What was it, '05 remake? But the classic.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Watched Sinister not too long ago and enjoyed it.

But I guessed the ending from a literal mile away.

It seemed so obvious that the kids had killed their families.
Didn't guess the 'lol a demon was responsible' nonsense.
That really cheapened it for me

Sinister was worth it for the opening scene alone.

WorldStar

Banned
Okay guys need a movie for tonight.

Looking for something recent(ish).

Open to any suggestions. My default go to for tonight is ABCs of Death.

EDIT: I'm going to assume that Night of the Living Dead: Resurrection is crap like all the other more recent followups?

Melchiah

The Shining, totally. Just had that real creepy/ I'm going out of my fucking mind, feel to it. Classic and love it.

How about the original Amityville Horror? Not the.. What was it, '05 remake? But the classic.

Amityville II:The Possession from 1982 is my favorite of them. It's a prequel to the first, and works better the original. Although the
exorcism
scene could have been left out.

Melchiah

Does anybody feel that the worst kind of horror movies are exorcism horrors? God I find them absolutely terrible and not scary at all.

Nah. The Exorcist and The Exorcism of Emily Rose are both great. Every genre has its share of shit. Some more than others, like werewolf and scifi horror, unfortunately.

EDIT: I personally don't care about slashers at all, or non-supernatural horror in general. They just feel too predictable and boring for me.

I think The Innkeepers is the only horror movie I have ever described as "cute."

I thought Sara Paxton was pretty good in it. The ending sucked though.

Yup, watched it after seeing The House of the Devil. I didn't particularly care for the ending of THOTD either, but I really did enjoy the 80s feel of it all. Also, I liked seeing the actor from The Signal in it.

images

"Take a shower, baby."

WorldStar

Banned
^forgot about The Signal. Thoroughly enjoyed that movie.

Ended up watching this last night:

Wake_Wood.jpg

Wasn't terrible. I didn't find it scary, but given it's budget I thought it was good. It is on Netflix Instant.

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
Nah. The Exorcist and The Exorcism of Emily Rose are both great. Every genre has its share of shit. Some more than others, like werewolf and scifi horror, unfortunately.

EDIT: I personally don't care about slashers at all, or non-supernatural horror in general. They just feel too predictable and boring for me.

Oh man. I LOVED the Exorcism of Emily Rose. I was pretty weirded out by the whole movie, which made it even better in my opinion.

Just watched Mama. Wow, I really think I hated this one. 5/10 maybe. I almost fell asleep watching. Normally I don't let cliches and tropes bother me, but goddamn was this movie derivative. Hodgepodge of stuff I've seen many times before with extremely unlikable characters. What a damn waste of time!

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
Just watched Mama. Wow, I really think I hated this one. 5/10 maybe. I almost fell asleep watching. Normally I don't let cliches and tropes bother me, but goddamn was this movie derivative. Hodgepodge of stuff I've seen many times before with extremely unlikable characters. What a damn waste of time!

I didn't much like the movie either. Like the first bit was okay. Reminded me a LOT of The Good Son, but the rest felt too rushed and the ending was one of the worst I think I've ever seen.

Melchiah

Oh man. I LOVED the Exorcism of Emily Rose. I was pretty weirded out by the whole movie, which made it even better in my opinion.

Same here. It's one of my favorite modern horror movies. Luckily Jennifer Carpenter was a new face back then, as associating her with something other might have lessened the movie's impact. In general, I think some of the best horror movies have been with a cast of unknowns. Without popular actors with a long history, and their personas in the way, the viewer can concentrate on the story and atmosphere. Not to mention, that the bigger the star, the more likely (s)he's going to survive until the end credits.

Same here. It's one of my favorite modern horror movies. Luckily Jennifer Carpenter was a new face back then, as associating her with something other might have lessened the movie's impact. In general, I think some of the best horror movies have been with a cast of unknowns. Without popular actors with a long history, and their personas in the way, the viewer can concentrate on the story and atmosphere. Not to mention, that the bigger the star, the more likely (s)he's going to survive until the end credits.

I know I've already complimented Melchiah on this, but you two are both scholars and gentlemen. This is a comment, that really stuck with me after the movie:

wzCLJmE.gif

Melchiah

I know I've already complimented Melchiah on this, but you two are both scholars and gentlemen. This is a comment, that really stuck with me after the movie:

wzCLJmE.gif

This scene was very effective back then.
Ni4xrjE.jpg

Nowadays many genre flicks repeat those twisted poses too much.

Vortex566

This scene was very effective back then.
Ni4xrjE.jpg

Nowadays many genre flicks repeat those twisted poses too much.

You guys have great taste. I love the following section in that film:

Father Moore: Tell me you six names!

Emily Rose: [possessed] We are the ones who dwell within.

Emily Rose: [in Hebrew language] I am the one who dwelt within CAIN!

Emily Rose: [in Latin language] I am the one who dwelt within NERO!

Emily Rose: [in Greek language] I once dwelt within JUDAS!

Emily Rose: [in German Language] I was with Legion.

Emily Rose: [In Assyrian Neo-Aramaic language] I am Belial

Emily Rose: [possessed/English] and I am Lucifer, the devil in the flesh.

Melchiah

You guys have great taste. I love the following section in that film:

Father Moore: Tell me you six names!

Emily Rose: [possessed] We are the ones who dwell within.

Emily Rose: [in Hebrew language] I am the one who dwelt within CAIN!

Emily Rose: [in Latin language] I am the one who dwelt within NERO!

Emily Rose: [in Greek language] I once dwelt within JUDAS!

Emily Rose: [in German Language] I was with Legion.

Emily Rose: [In Assyrian Neo-Aramaic language] I am Belial

Emily Rose: [possessed/English] and I am Lucifer, the devil in the flesh.

Yeah, that's another great scene in the movie. I think some Black Metal band used it as a sample, which isn't really that surprising. ;)

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member

wzCLJmE.gif

I'll take scholar, because I'm not a man.

But yeah. That scene in the trailer freaked me the hell out and just seeing what lead up to it in the movie itself was.. Woah.

Longshot

So lately I've watched Insidious and Grave Encounters, I liked the former more than the latter but I have a thing for haunted house/demonic flicks.

Gonna try The Fog tonight.

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
So lately I've watched Insidious and Grave Encounters, I liked the former more than the latter but I have a thing for haunted house/demonic flicks.

Gonna try The Fog tonight.

Not gonna lie, I kinda really enjoyed Grave Encounters. Usually I'm not a huge fan of the whole Blair Witch style of shooting, but this one just kinda seemed to work.

scotcheggz

Yeh, I watched grave encounters last night. I thought it was pretty good for its genre. Had a lot of good scares and they weren't all just big jumps, which is a surprise. Some real creepy stuff going on. I'd recommend it if you don't mind the mock handycam thing and just want a fun scare.

Is silent hill any good? It's on tv tonight and I might watch it, but to be honest I normally skip video game based films.

Is silent hill any good? It's on tv tonight and I might watch it, but to be honest I normally skip video game based films.

If you have any love for the Silent Hill-franchise, avoid that abhorrent piece of turd. My opinion is biased but I literally felt watching that movie almost insulting on some levels. Had I not been with a friend at the movies that day, I would have stormed out of the theatre long before credits.

Top Bottom