• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Mom Defends Herself Against Facebook Haters, gives a non-apology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? I don't think it inherently means "you're a failure if you don't look like this". It's basically conveying that, even with responsibilities, you can improve your habits to become a healthier person.

People are going to interpret it in many different ways. Giving it the most optimistically positive interpretation isn't going to be the consensus.

Opiate

Come on man thats anecdotal evidence. Do you honestly think the average person will have an easier time getting in healthier shape vs. being a Harvard trained lawyer? Objectively speaking a higher education with law school requires 6 years with at least 30 hrs a week worth of work. Getting in shape doesn't take that type of commitment for the avg. person*

If we're going to rely on broad statistics: over the last several decades, education levels in the US are holding steady, income levels are rising (although median income is stagnant), but obesity levels are rising aggressively. At least in the last 30 years, it has evidently become much harder to be skinny. Something about our culture has considerably amped up that difficulty curve.

But really, this is a moot point. The real point is that different people have different strengths and weaknesses. Something you struggle with for the rest of your life may be incredibly easy for me, and vice versa. So we can either stand here pointing fingers at each other, criticizing our different flaws, or we can recognize that we all have struggles and we're probably better off trying to help each other out. Saying "well my problems are more common than your problems!" just strikes me as a more vociferous form of finger pointing.

RM8

People are going to interpret it in many different ways. Giving it the most optimistically positive interpretation isn't going to be the consensus.
Neither should be the most negative interpretation. I mean, if you're taking things so literal, she was never overweight. So this pic clearly doesn't target overweight people, right?

I'm not sure what this means. Lots of women eat well and exercise regularly, but look nothing like "Hot Mom." She's a peak physical specimen. No one should try to compare themselves to her.

I think most people don't get the results they could be getting because of various training/diet myths & misconceptions such as:
  • Toning bodyparts
  • Fat is bad
  • Lifting weights make you balloon up in muscle mass
  • It only takes weeks to hit your goal

... among other things.

The fact that some people have a problem with what she did just goes to show you...

Everyone is not motivated by the same methods of "edumacation" empowerment. Fat shaming actually motives some, positive reinforcement via kitten gloves helps others, focus on showcasing negative effects empowers a different group and etc. That's why I don't get it when people merely say "Not enough fat shaming in this world!", how do you expect results when one size doesn't fit all? Many people will simply not adjust to that.

Dude Abides

Banned
Yeah, this doesn't sound anywhere near equivalent to the time commitment of a full-time job.

2. What does a typical day look like for you?
Since having kids my schedule has changed a lot. I am a stay-at-home working mom. After I nurse my son in the early morning, I try to get to the gym by 6:30am and workout:I like to get my priorities out of
the way, the first being my commitment to my health and fitness.
Then around 8am I get my sons up: feed, clean, play then I work on emails, phone calls, and writing and work
projects. I sychronize my hunger with my meal times, which I’ve made it a habit to be at approx. at 9am/12pm/3pm/5pm and 8pm. I visit my care home facilities around noon and perform errands during the late afternoon. I also usually schedule my meetings around this time. Around 5pm I cook dinner, then try to get back on the computer later in the evening to write and respond to emails. At 10pm I fall asleep with the kids or work until midnight.

Neither should be the most negative interpretation. I mean, if you're taking things so literal, she was never overweight. So this pic clearly doesn't target overweight people, right?

I don't really care about the overweight people who find this offensive. I'm more concerned about the average, young healthy mother that does put in some effort, but still can't compare to "Hot Mom." I think that's where the majority of the push back is to this picture. It's not the extremely obese who are upset, it's the working mothers who do what they can, but yet feel inadequate when "Hot Mom" is flaunting herself.

SeanR1221

I don't really care about the overweight people who find this offensive. I'm more concerned about the average, young healthy mother that does put in some effort, but still can't compare to "Hot Mom." I think that's where the majority of the push back is to this picture. It's not the extremely obese who are upset, it's the working mothers who do what they can, but yet feel inadequate when "Hot Mom" is flaunting herself.

The average mother probably doesn't have a good program.

mr2xxx

Banned
If we're going to rely on broad statistics: over the last several decades, education levels in the US are holding steady, income levels are rising (although median income is stagnant), but obesity levels are rising aggressively.

But really, this is a moot point. The real point is that different people have different strengths and weaknesses. Something you struggle with for the rest of your life may be incredibly easy for me, and vice versa. So we can either stand here pointing fingers at each other, criticizing our different flaws, or we can recognize that we all have struggles and we're probably better off trying to help each other out. Saying "well my problems are more common than your problems!" just strikes me as a more vociferous form of finger pointing.

Thats the thing people are motivated by different ways. This "in your face" style is one of the ways for some people. Others need a more caring touch and thats fine because that too exists. We can attack the same problem in different ways.

KingGondo

Banned
Can you somehow back that up? I've been lead to believe that the unemployed are the fattest, not those who hold multiple jobs at once.
I'm not sure what you're asking me to "back up." Most Americans are overweight. It stands to reason that many of these people are also among the working poor, i.e. those who work and still fall below the official poverty level (which is pathetically low, btw).

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics said:
Among Whites and Blacks, the working-poor rate was higher for women than for men. The rate for White women who spent at least 27 weeks in the labor force was 6.7 percent, compared with 5.6 percent for White men. The rates for Black women and men were 15.6 percent and 10.5 percent, respectively. Among Asians and Hispanics, the rates for women and men were little different from each other.
http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpswp2011.pdf

These are people who are working and still not making ends meet. Not even close, really, since the federal poverty line is far below what it should probably be at.

It's not a choice between empathy and hate towards fat people. The fight is between people who consider obesity a serious disease and those that think it's a lifestyle choice like any other. I'm for European-style entitlement programs, but I don't consider obesity an entitlement. Doesn't mean I despise people who are obese, just those who think it's perfectly fine.
I'd argue that there are very, very few people who think that obesity is "perfectly fine." There are quite a few who think it isn't constructive to be accusatory or condescending when discussing the issue.

I don't believe personal responsibility is the only answer, I think the government should pour more resources into educating people and regulating parts of the food industry more heavily.
I agree with you, but the attitudes you've expressed in this thread are symptomatic of why these kinds of efforts get little traction in America. It's easy to look at others who are struggling with weight and assume their condition is a result of laziness and eating tubs of ice cream every night.

Try to put any blame on the food industry and you get a chorus of "NANNY STATE!!!" accusations.

RM8

You have issues if people being in better shape than you make you feel "inadequate". There are women more fit than Hot Mom in the first place.

shoplifter

Here's her daily schedule:

7:00am – get kids up, cook breakfast, tidy rooms, fix beds (big pet peeve), laundry, dishes, pack snacks for day
8:20am – run out and begin errands (with all kids). I either take Christian to preschool (he has 3hrs of school T/TH) or go to my mom-me fit club (T/FRI). I also have meetings or go to both my care homes at this time to manage or purchase groceries.
12:00pm – come home, put baby to sleep. (other boys don’t nap). Start work on computer, make phone calls, supervise boys while they play outside
4:30pm – begin preparing dinner
5:30pm – start cleaning the house
6:00pm – dinner
6:30pm – bedtime
7:30pm – work until bedtime
10:30/11pm – sleep

You are probably looking at this schedule and wondering what time I workout! LOL. It’s been so irregular because of my poor sleep and demanding daily schedule. Sometimes I train around 1/2pm after I run errands and before I get home (if I still have energy). The most ideal time, is the morning, which is a tough one because I don’t sleep well.

"Tee Hee LOL I train in the middle of the day when I'm not working, what's your excuse?"

Something about our culture has considerably amped up that difficulty curve.

And some of us know the truth about why this has happened while the majority of people will continue to ignore it. All one needs to do is understand what the main human diet has been since Home Erectus to get an idea.

Dudes, stop exchanging exercise tips and posting weightloss pics. Stick with the topic!

The topic was: Fatties vs. the hot mom! Pick a side.

The mom IS pretty hot, but her choice of caption ('What's your excuse?') reveals that she's vain & obnoxious. And that she probably spends her hours in the gym thinking to herself how she's so much better and hotter than the rest. She's probably boring too (the most common problem with health nuts).

So the fatties are right in that she's a biatch. But unfortunately for them they nevertheless are still fat.

IceCold

One thing though is that having a normal weight is really all about nutrition. You could walk every now and then if you want, but if most Americans changed their diets, they'd lose weight. Start by ditching soft drinks and processed meals. Make your lunch everyday instead of buying crap at work, instead of using shitty salad dressing use olive oil with vinegar on your salads, limit your portions, etc.

You won't look like this woman but at least you are improving your health.

Opiate

Thats the thing people are motivated by different ways. This "in your face" style is one of the ways for some people. Others need a more caring touch and thats fine because that too exists. We can attack the same problem in different ways.

Studies have broadly shown that harshly critical motivational methods like this one are considerably less effective than positive approaches. That's without getting in to a discussion of whether it's nice or not; this is purely a discussion of efficacy.

Perhaps for you personally and specifically, harsh criticism works better. But for the general public, science clearly suggests it doesn't, and this "hot mom" message was directed at the general public, not you specifically and personally.

TUROK

You have it wrong. It's that some of these people do like the way they look, but they're being attacked for it. They get understandably defensive about that. Everyone's body and life is their own body and life.
I sincerely doubt anyone who is happy with their body is going to be upset by this. The US is a place in which there's tons ofminders of how truly inadequate we are. Unless you're fit, you're going to need some thick skin to be happy with the way you look. That's not a fat joke. I'd wager that people who aren't happy with the way they look but don't have the means or motivation to change are the ones to be upset by this.

KingGondo

Banned
Here's her daily schedule:

"Tee Hee LOL I train in the middle of the day when I'm not working, what's your excuse?"
Plus, she has a regular schedule, a stable married relationship, and enough money to not have to worry about getting by.

Good for her for being in such good shape, but she seriously lacks perspective.

Dash27

I'm not sure what this means. Lots of women eat well and exercise regularly, but look nothing like "Hot Mom." She's a peak physical specimen. No one should try to compare themselves to her.

Fitness and nutrition industries are notoriously confusing, contradictory, and full of bad information. I dont claim to know it all either but I know a lot of people think they are eating "right" and exercising then get frustrated with lack of results.

I'm saying if the average person, male or female, eats enough good food and puts in some effort at the gym they will achieve a good physique. Maybe not ideal, but again, good enough that you'd not complain about your results.

You dont have to compare your results to hers, just your mindset.

SeanR1221

3, 1 hour training sessions a week and a healthy diet. That's all it takes. Oh and consistency.

What are all of you doing 7am Saturday and Sunday morning. There's 2 hours for you.

I'm sure you can find one more hour in the week.

But I guess it depends on how bad you want it.

RELIGHT

Banned
I'm going to go with guilty here. Yes its awesome she can be so fit with 3 toddlers but at the same time the "whats your excuse" tag line is a dick move and it mocks people instead of encouraging them like she claimed she was trying to do. When you apply that tagline to other things you realize how much of an ass she is being; I have one million dollars, whats your excuse? My house is fancier than yours, whats your excuse? Not only is it extremely vain it's short sighted as well. It suggest other people are inferior and are making excuses to begin with. If she truly meant this to encourage people she failed. Like the Joker said, poor choice of words.

cdyhybrid

Plus, she has a regular schedule, a stable married relationship, and enough money to not have to worry about getting by.

Good for her for being in such good shape, but she seriously lacks perspective.

The thing is:

1) You don't have to be in top physical shape like her to be healthy and look good, and

2) You don't need anything more than 30 minutes of exercise and a decent diet to accomplish the above.

Tenks

3, 1 hour training sessions a week and a healthy diet. That's all it takes. Oh and consistency.

What are all of you doing 7am Saturday and Sunday morning. There's 2 hours for you.

I'm sure you can find one more hour in the week.

But I guess it depends on how bad you want it.

I was walking my dog. What were you up to? Did you want to snag breakfast?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't see what having ample free time necessarily has to do with being fit. You dont even need gym time to be fit (though it helps). If you make smart choices about what you input to your body, and move around when you can (ie whilst grocery shopping, etc), you will be slim enough. I say this as an endomorph who was obese as a teen.

terrene

Banned
Just to offer some of the more coherent objections that people are having to this woman's particular brand of inspirational posts:

Not that I *NEED* an excuse for not working out, but here's mine you self-righteous idiot: fibromyalgia.

How would she liked it if I went to her and showed her my three graduate degrees which I got before turning 30 and said: What's your excuse? Or if I showed the publications in academic journals and the conferences I have presented in and said: What's your excuse? It would be so silly and arrogant. To each her own.

Did she consider that, perhaps as a fitness blogger (most likely as a source of income), her motivation is a bit different than people that aren't in the fitness biz? Fair or not, if she didn't lose the baby weight quickly, she would probably lose most of her readership. So it's not really a matter of what other people's excuses are for not getting tight abs, it's what's her reason for doing it? Apparently not just for the personal health reasons.

And my personal fave:

I make plenty of time for me.

ku-medium.gif

Rafterman

Banned
Good for her, fuck these people who are upset. It took me a long time to realize that I was my own problem when it came to my weight, and when I did all of those excuses I was making suddenly didn't matter any more. Being fat isn't cool, it shouldn't be normal, and if a woman looking like this makes someone feel bad it probably should. Not everyone will look like her regardless of what they do, but with a little time, effort, and dedication, they will damn sure look much better than they probably do now and that should be everyone's goal.

AkuMifune

Banned
C'mon. People have different priorities in life or we'd all be robots. I got high and watched all Season 2 of Fringe. What's her excuse?

I do exercise 4 times a week, but who gives a shit?

muddream

Banned
And some of us know the truth about why this has happened while the majority of people will continue to ignore it. All one needs to do is understand what the main human diet has been since Home Erectus to get an idea.

I...I...I've been antagonizing enough in this thread...must resist...

RedSwirl

So she works out for an hour a day. That sounds reasonable, given she's doing the right exercise. That's probably one of the biggest challenges -- most people can't really figure out a great regiment.

The other unspoken issue, especially with Americans, is probably eating habits. It's at least fairly difficult to resist shitty food and drinks in this country because they're goddamn everywhere. You have to seriously look for anything that isn't either soft drinks or water. Even after I started paying attention to my weight I've only been able to go down to one Pepsi a day. Actual good food is also a bit more expensive. A lot of institutional changes would have to be made before this is easier for a lot of people.

The "Hot Mom" also mentioned the park, but a lot of people, particularly lower-income urban people, don't really have access to parks, or have access to very few outdoor areas big enough to run around in. That's another institutional problem though.

Lastly, judging by this woman's history she seems to have built up a shitload of motivation over the years. Struggling with genetics and bulimia has probably given her more motivation than most people have to get in shape. Most out-of-shape people probably haven't had that moment where they've looked in the mirror after going through some shit that basically forced them to say "Goddamnit I'm gonna change!" Most out-of-shape people probably haven't gone through the same shit she has and gotten that same degree of motivation, and I really do think motivation is a huge factor in exercise. A lot of people just give up through boredom.

Oh, and her husband being in the military probably has something to do with it. Dat PT mentality.

Lastly, and most importantly, the image is probably an attempt by her to give other people a similar motivation by saying, "it's not as hard as you think." That's mainly what got me to start exercising. I realized that it wasn't really that big a deal to set aside 30 minutes a day on an elliptical plus some crunches. I don't know if I look any better than before, but I definitely feel better.

KingGondo

Banned
The thing is:

1) You don't have to be in top physical shape like her to be healthy and look good, and

2) You don't need anything more than 30 minutes of exercise and a decent diet to accomplish the above.
I completely agree.

I'm simply responding to the message of her original posted image, which is not "just a bit of hard work and decent diet can make you look OK and feel better!" It's "what's your excuse for not being in great shape like me after having three kids?"

muddream said:
I...I...I've been antagonizing enough in this thread...must resist...
I suspect we might be on the same side when it comes to that issue. Haha

I completely agree.

I'm simply responding to the message of her original posted image, which is not "just a bit of hard work and decent diet can make you look OK and feel better!" It's "what's your excuse for not being in great shape like me after having three kids?"

Like that Matt Scott video said "get disabled and play wheelchair basketball", I guess.

Guevara

I don't even work out an hour a day, more like 45 minutes,4-5 days a week. That's plenty to feel better and make improvements.

But the real point, and the reason for the original picture and this thread, is that people put up road blocks. Why don't you:

Work out in the morning...
...oh I couldn't possible find the time

Work out on your lunch break...
...I'd lose my job!

Work out on the weekends...
...too tired, or other obligations

Get some exercise with you kids...
...they can't/have homework or something
...and besides I need 2 hours to get a workout!
...and besides I have bad genes
...and besides healthy food is difficult so what's even the point

Etc. Etc. Etc. always an excuse. I'm definitely guilty of this sometimes. So: "What's your excuse?" is a totally valid question.

mr2xxx

Banned
Studies have broadly shown that harshly critical motivational methods like this one are considerably less effective than positive approaches. That's without getting in to a discussion of whether it's nice or not; this is purely a discussion of efficacy.

Perhaps for you personally and specifically, that's true. But for the general public science clearly suggests it isn't, and this message was directed at the general public, not you specifically and personally.

The same way a luxury car or rolex ad isn't generated at the general public, so what? If she want's to focus on smaller group of people that her style resonates with then let it be.

Studies have shown that harsh motivational methods but I'm not sure this is one of them. Sure a parent verbally or physically abusing a child the data is obvious. Will this actually qualify as "harshly critical motivation" though. I'd love to see the specific study that focus on this type of specific motivation.

cdyhybrid

I completely agree.

I suspect we might be on the same side when it comes to that issue. Haha

I interpreted it as, "I had all these issues and had three kids and still managed to get in good shape, what's your excuse for not making an effort to get in shape?" /shrug

KingGondo

Banned
Like that Matt Scott video said "get disabled and play wheelchair basketball", I guess.
Don't be ridiculous.

You're insane if you think the message of her original Facebook post was intended to be purely motivational. Sure, I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder, but I didn't take it that way at all.

People make excuses not to do all sorts of healthy/worthwhile things, and that's a legitimate issue. Perhaps she did want to motivate those who struggle with their weight, but IMO she did it in an incredibly tone deaf and condescending fashion.

This is amazing. People love being offended by anything and everything. The fact that so many people where that offended by the imagine that they spent the time bitching about the message, to the point where it received media attention and was posted on GAF is amazing. Especially the part where they choose to bitch about stuff over the internet instead of making the active choice to exercise.

I hate everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom