• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Mom Defends Herself Against Facebook Haters, gives a non-apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

This is true. And I'm sure there are a fair number of other cheap/healthy dishes people could suggest. But there's also the matter of time needed to prepare, and the fact that a family is rarely going to be disciplined enough to all want to eat such a meal most days.

Personally, something I'd like to see more would be a bigger push for more food that's actually healthy (or at least portioned correctly) from takeout/fast food joints. The regular staples don't necessarily have to go, but I think it's time to react to the fact that busier families often rely on eating out, and stop working under the assumption that a meal out is a "treat."

Really, when someone goes to a fast food place and orders the #1, I think there should be a bigger push to ensure that it's not garbage that's awful for you.

That is exactly the issue that the picture this thread is about was attempting to highlight, except instead of a frozen broccoli/chicken meal it's expanded to healthy living in general.

I don't think it's necessary to eliminate unhealthy food. You can indulge once in a while and still be healthy overall. The problems start when it's no long a once-in-a-while thing, and the best way (IMO) to combat this is to educate people about what they're putting in their bodies.

PhantomR

Banned
And yet you see that in the pic in the OP?

LOL, she literally said it in the OP. "What's YOUR excuse" are her words, not mine.

The bigger woman complimented her own body and focused on her confidence in herself. Had the other woman focused on her focus and determination to get that type of body even after 3 kids this wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think there should be extreme outrage, but she tried to dish it out and she got it served right back. Arrogance doesn't pay.

LOL, she literally said it in the OP. "What's YOUR excuse" are her words, not mine.

The bigger woman complimented her own body and focused on her confidence in herself. Had the other woman focused on her focus and determination to get that type of body even after 3 kids this wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think there should be extreme outrage, but she tried to dish it out and she got it served right back. Arrogance doesn't pay.

There shouldn't be an issue period. You were over analyzing, over thinking, and seeing a negative message in the image that wasn't there. That has nothing to do with her arrogance and everything to do with people and their over sensitivity and insecurities.

There shouldn't be an issue period. You were over analyzing, over thinking, and seeing a negative message in the image that wasn't there. That has nothing to do with her arrogance and everything to do with people and their over sensitivity and insecurities.
Or it could be that a person was a dick, got called out on it, acted more like a dick, and people are like "damn girl, does that gym help you with your personality, too?"

Demon Ice

Banned
Or it could be that a person was a dick, got called out on it, acted more like a dick, and people are like "damn girl, does that gym help you with your personality, too?"

No, he chose to take the one pic with the curvy girl at face value and then intentionally overanalyzed and added his own words to the pic in the OP so he could be offended by it. It was actually fairly transparent.

I don't see her saying "here's how I look...why don't YOU look like me?"

PhantomR

Banned
"Look like me" were your words, not hers.

Ha! What do you think she is referring to when she says "what's your excuse?" in the picture? The fact that she has a nicer white background than you?

She made it about her body, she made it about her physical condition, and made it about comparing her physical condition to yours. That's fine. That's cool. But when you go after others, betta be ready to deal with the consequences. No different than me putting up a picture of my (THEORETICAL) $3 million dollar house and saying "What's your excuse??".

Rafterman

Banned

No, I'm pretty sure it was the post you quoted, insecure and oversensitive people making a big deal out of nothing.

Anyone who equates that photo with being a dick should probably seek help.

That post brought a frenzy of negative responses, including, “Those precious little things need their mommy more than they need you to have glamour muscles

That doesn't even make sense! Of course, out of 12000 comments you will get haters. Whatever insecure person wrote that must be thinking she drops her kids at a daycare and gets fit all day. She doesn't even have a six pack. If anything, it could give encouragement to new moms.

Now for the other topic about fat shaming which is unrelated to this, really, yes that hardly ever works. Negative reinforcement and all that. But also, thought suppression doesn't work either or then you'll develop something like OCD where the cravings will get more intense and you'll feel compelled to act on those thoughts.

As someone who moved from Sydney to Florida, I'm constantly shocked at the awful dietary and exercise habits of Americans. However, I don't think the whole confrontational smugness approach to educating people about fitness and encouraging healthier eating is very productive. You don't get a good response; whether you intend to be fat-shamey or not, it comes off really poorly.

PhantomR

Banned

Nah, you're projecting.

I'm calling it like it is. If she were touching on the fact that she's in good shape after having three kids it would've been easy to do so without calling out others who aren't in her shape after having three kids. She has great mental fortitude to be able to achieve that. She failed to highlight that, and went for the unnecessarily aggressive message to get her point across. That's on her, not us.

I swear, being on the fucking planet is enough to offend somebody.

When did people become so sensitive?

Fat people usually already feel like shit about their appearance. It's pretty understandable that they might be offended when someone calls them out and says "I'm hot, why aren't you?"

agrajag

Banned
I can't picture anyone that exercises regularly and eats healthy and in general takes care of themselves being offended by that picture.

Nah, you're projecting.

I'm calling it like it is. If she were touching on the fact that she's in good shape after having three kids it would've been easy to do so without calling out others who aren't in her shape after having three kids. She has great mental fortitude to be able to achieve that. She failed to highlight that, and went for the unnecessarily aggressive message to get her point across. That's on her, not us.

You're calling it like how you perceive it in some warped, over sensitive view. It was a picture to promote/brag about her accomplishment, call to fact that others can stay in shape with similar obligations, and put a common workout term on the pic to help motivate. That's all it is. There is nothing else to take from it. Nothing. The fact that you see more into it is a failure on your part, nobody else.

cdyhybrid

Nah, you're projecting.

It's not about being in great shape. It's about exercising at all.

Opiate

Okay, here are some simple comparisons.

I take a picture of myself holding my ivy league diploma and ask, "whats your excuse?"

I take a picture of myself in front of my large house I bought before I was 30 with low fixed rates with the text, "I paid for this all by myself. Whats your excuse?"

Another person takes a picture of themselves holding millions of dollars with the text, "no one gave me any help and im rich. Whats your excuse?"

What should a reasonable person infer from those photos?

You're calling it like how you perceive it in some warped, over sensitive view. It was a picture to promote/brag about her accomplishment, call to fact that others can stay in shape with similar obligations, and put a common workout term on the pic to help motivate. That's all it is. There is nothing else to take from it. Nothing. The fact that you see more into it is a failure on your part, nobody else.

Then why not say "I stopped making excuses" rather than "what's your excuse?" She doesn't need to implicitly belittle other people to brag about a personal accomplishment.

Except that's not what the picture said... at all.

Opiate can explain subtext to you since you clearly don't understand it ;)

Ripclawe

Banned
Fat people usually already feel like shit about their appearance. It's pretty understandable that they might be offended when someone calls them out and says "I'm hot, why aren't you?"
so now we have to be sensitive because people will take offense of a fit woman and her message? I await the just do it backlash against Nike

It's not about being in great shape. It's about exercising at all.

Yup. The point isn't that everybody doesn't have to look like her. But, if you look back at pictures from the 50's and 60's, there aren't a lot of fat people. Now, it's true we're eating crappier than they are in a variety of ways (even though arguably it's better in other ways), so the rise of high fructose corn syrup and other quasi-foods is responsible for a percentage of the problem, but the other is that people are perfectly happy to sit around and not do much.

Admittedly, I'm apart of the problem. But, I'm at least attempting to get better slowly and not sitting around complaining that people with better bodies are being biased against me. Yeah, there are people with actual medical issues - now, what about the other 90%?

I take a picture of myself holding my ivy league diploma and ask, "whats your excuse?"

I take a picture of myself in front of my large house I bought before I was 30 with low fixed rates with the text, "whats your excuse?"

Another person takes a picture of themselves holding millions of dollars with the text, "no one gave me any help and im rich. Whats your excuse?"

That it's all about you and your showboating.

agrajag

Banned

I take a picture of myself in front of my large house I bought before I was 30 with low fixed rates with the text, "I paid for this all by myself. Whats your excuse?"

I don't know what a reasonable person would infer, but those would motivate me. I know I'm not rich because I'm an unambitious slacker. Why would I get offended?

That you are bad at comparisons. :p

Each pic is missing the inclusion of an obstacle commonly touted as an excuse by under-performers, analogous to the 3 children in hot mom's pic.

That you were either extremely lucky or born into money. Fortunately, being healthy requires neither of those.

The amount of effort required to be healthy is determined by a genetic lottery.

Not to mention the time and ability to do the workouts has to be factored in as well. That this is a second profession for her gives far more incentives and time to do it.

so now we have to be sensitive because people will take offense of a fit woman and her message? I await the just do it backlash against Nike

Just Do It is a positive message. Why haven't you already done it? That's a different story.

I agree with the goal; encouraging better fitness should be lauded. However, judging by the reaction to this, that isn't what happened.

Not to mention the time and ability to do the workouts has to be factored in as well. That this is a second profession for her gives far more incentives and time to do it.

Sure, her specific body is heavily aided by her situation. But, would you have the same problem if the picture was a reasonably healthy person in their mid-30's and it said 'what's your excuse?'

Rafterman

Banned

That your analogies are horrible? There is no barrier to being more healthy like in those scenarios. And a reasonable person, even if annoyed, whould shrug their shoulders and move the fuck on. There is nothing reasonable about the people spouting hate at her over a Facebook photo.

Odrion

Banned

That you're privileged?

can i do math homework 1 hour a day , 5 days a week and get an ivy league diploma?

there's different definitions of what it means to be fit.

In terms of genetics, the terms ENDOMORPH, MESOMORPH, and ECTOMORPH are widely paraded around to show that yes, people's bodies are all different. the underlying message though is that YOU GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND WORK AT SOMETHING.

There's nothing inherently wrong with trying to promote a healthier lifestyle. and as mentioned before, being a trainer herself, she was using the motivational "tough language" that trainers use.

You mean other than the laundry list of problems women can have post child birth? Like thyroid problems?

I am still having trouble determining why people are getting extreme thoughts like this from a simple broad statement like "what's your excuse?"

cause i'm sure "i have a thyroid problem" is a valid excuse, but not everyone's excuse.

shira

ioPSKsWmjK7FI.jpg
ig87MZYUAzDiD.jpg

Dose korean genes

Serious question. Do you believe the majority of overweight people have a legitimate, "out of their hands" excuse for being overweight?

What's your definition of legitimate? Many are predisposed to being heavier and post pregnancy issues can be pretty discouraging since you've got post partum depression, new stresses and a complete physiological change for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom