• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

If cool indie games like this is all thats left for the Vita, then I'm more than satisfied with my purchase of the handheld. Goddamn I love this thing. Everyone talks how there are no games on the Vita, but between PS+ and the indie games, I can barely keep up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm up to Chapter 13 of 15. Ending is at that point, right? I know there's extras they patched in later on PC but the ending ya'll are talking about is that point?

How do you use a human shield?

I somehow lucked out on that and I dunno how I did it, but you need a gun equipped. Then I think you press X as a standing execute but instead of executing them, you grab them as a shield.

kick51

Banned
There are actually some pretty cool theories about it out there.

Yeah, i was kinda hoping the game would actually deliver them. I don't buy games to go read people's theories on the basics of what happened in the story. Well, I bought this for gameplay, but it seemed like the story was gonna be really cool as it built.

How do you use a human shield?

If you have a one handed gun or sawed off, press X over a knocked down guy.

nampad

They should have used a different button for human shield as X is also execute. I sometimes pick people up I wanna execute. Circle and triangle is used for nothing.

TheSeks

You can take human shields too!!!??? Awesome. Does this have any effects, like making the enemies hesitant for a moment?

No, just saves you from a shotgun blast or two. I think you're hyping yourself up for something the game isn't. You need to really settle down and wait until you play it yourself.

No, just saves you from a shotgun blast or two. I think you're hyping yourself up for something the game isn't. You need to really settle down and wait until you play it yourself.
It's just there were many features I didn't know about, like human shields, etc. The crazy fast violence is what I'm hyped for and the split-second strategy and improvisation described by RPS and other reviews. I love that kind of stuff, and hard-as-nails games...

I love feeling like a badass when I play, and from what I've read, this game sounds like a badass simulator.

kick51

Banned
They should have used a different button for human shield as X is also execute. I sometimes pick people up I wanna execute. Circle and triangle is used for nothing.

You can hit L to crack their neck, which is faster than the headbash finisher.

It's just there were many features I didn't know about, like human shields, etc. The crazy fast violence is what I'm hyped for and the split-second strategy and improvisation described by RPS and other reviews. I love that kind of stuff, and hard-as-nails games...

I love feeling like a badass when I play, and from what I've read, this game sounds like a badass simulator.

It's not really split second strategy or improvisation. You run in, have your plan to take out the first few guys you can see, get killed by something you didn't notice, take it into account, play the next life taking it into account. You "chip away" at levels, there isn't any time to think, you just react and memorize the layout. It's more trial and error, but in a fun way.

I was reading online that the PC version got another level after a patch, titled Highball, as well as a pre order level titled Exposed. Are those levels in the PS3 version as well?

And, like someone said, X is for both taking a shield and finishing enemies. How does that work? Do you finish if you have a melee weapon equipped, take a shield if you have a gun equipped?

Vodh

Can every level by fully stealthed?

So I'm practically sold on this game.
How many levels?
Game length?
Are there any randomized elements to add replay value?

The game is about 5-6 hours long, just about 20 levels. And its fast, fun, and requires precision and enemy movement awareness - but don't expect it to change your life man, this is not TLoU merged with Vanquish, Journey and Ico.

It's closed quarters version of GTA 1 and 2 combat on LSD. That's what it is.

The game is about 5-6 hours long, just about 20 levels. And its fast, fun, and requires precision and enemy movement awareness - but don't expect it to change your life man, this is not TLoU merged with Vanquish, Journey and Ico.

It's closed quarters version of GTA 1 and 2 combat on LSD. That's what it is.
Already bought. Game is awesome.

Yeah they are in. So the game has like 22 chapters.
Great. The more content, the better cause this is my new addiction. I never cared about high scores or improving my times in games till now. Freaking awesome.
Is the sequel coming to PS3 as well?

oVerde

Banned
Thanks, this thread reminded me that bought it over Humble Bundle some weeks ago, downloaded it now.

This game rocks!

So I'm going to call Hotline Miami the PS3's "Super Meat Boy"
Crazy addictive, skill based, insanely fast gameplay, just pushes you to hone your skills and improve your time/score

Is there any likelihood of the PS3 version getting more content in updates?

And I love the Russell mask filter. I loved Kill Bill and Sin City and the black and white scheme colored by bursts of red blood is just super stylish

kick51

Banned
You unlock a secret ending

I just youtubed this.
Okay, that clears things up a little from what I previously posted where I just had no idea. Only clears it up a little and it's still a waste of what they built up. Could've been much more interesting. I suppose it's some kind of MKUltra type thing, but it would be cooler if they actually discussed these things in the game.

So I'm going to call Hotline Miami the PS3's "Super Meat Boy"
Crazy addictive, skill based, insanely fast gameplay, just pushes you to hone your skills and improve your time/score

Is there any likelihood of the PS3 version getting more content in updates?

And I love the Russell mask filter. I loved Kill Bill and Sin City and the black and white scheme colored by bursts of red blood is just super stylish

Super Meat Boy is a much bigger and much more difficult game...there are 19 chapters in this, some of which are not really levels. I beat it in a couple hours, but it is definitely very replayable.

I don't think it'll get more content, 'cause they're currently working on part 2.

I agree with others, it sounds like you're hyping yourself up a bit too much, but it is definitely a lot of fun.

aaaaand now I want Super Meat Boy on Vita :(

I just youtubed this.
Okay, that clears things up a little from what I previously posted where I just had no idea. Only clears it up a little and it's still a waste of what they built up. Could've been much more interesting. I suppose it's some kind of MKUltra type thing, but it would be cooler if they actually discussed these things in the game.

Super Meat Boy is a much bigger and much more difficult game...there are 19 chapters in this, some of which are not really levels. I beat it in a couple hours, but it is definitely very replayable.

I don't think it'll get more content, 'cause they're currently working on part 2.

I agree with others, it sounds like you're hyping yourself up a bit too much, but it is definitely a lot of fun.

aaaaand now I want Super Meat Boy on Vita :(
I'm on chapter 4 and it's awesome. And by SMB, I mean that addictive nature,learning through death, and fast paced gameplay

Actually it also reminds me of Super Hexagon, because of how the music complements the gameplay. MOON's Hydrogen is my favorite so far. You almost want to time your kills with the beat

Best moment so far. Bursting into a room, knocking a guy down with the door, taking out four guys with four shotgun blasts in row, then bashing the downed guy's head open. Took a lot of deaths to get that smooth

TheSeks

Cross-save removes the Russel/Raging Bull mask from your inventory even if you got it previously. You have to reget it everytime. Bug or..?

(Every other mask and chapter and unlock seems to save but that one. WTF?)

MDSLKTR

So I tried the game on pc and ps3 yesterday quick and... vita is my favorite platform to play this on and by far. The sequel is so bought day 1 on vita.

The
owl mask displays secrets, do they mean the puzzle pieces?
You can see them without the mask (a single purple pixel) - I think it just makes them blink or something.

Anyway, I'm still having a hard time warming up to the Vita version. Someone mentioned you can use square to lock on instead of the screen, but you still have to use the touchscreen to look around... very cumbersome and makes my A+ strategies on a few stages fall flat on its face.. I really wish they gave us an option for a virtual L2/R2 on the rear touch.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Played it yesterday and just fell straight back into it all over again. So good.

Not playing the Don Juan mask this time either- trying to mix it up with different masks and perks. Game's tough, but hoping to try and Platinum it I think!

20cent

Banned
great, never worked well on my PC, can't wait to get it on my Vita.

*few min later*

oh yeah, not available on the moronic HK PSN...

Salaadin

This game reminds me a lot of Super Meat Boy. Die, die, die, die die, die, die, WIN! Im such a badass! MUAHAHAHAHA!!! On to the next level! Die, die, die, die die, die die, die, die, die, die, die....

Its so addicting. So accesible. Death doesnt feel bad when you reload instantly and can get right back into the thick of things.
Dogs suck, btw. I hate them so much.

TheSeks

Its so addicting. So accesible. Death doesnt feel bad when you reload instantly and can get right back into the thick of things.
Dogs suck, btw. I hate them so much.

Just wait for the final boss.

Speaking of which: WTF am I supposed to do?

Kill the Jaguar's (?), throw the trophy at the woman samurai, kill her/execute her. Then the boss talks and then gets up and mows me down when I'm trying to run around in a circle around him and pick up a knife to throw/stab him but nada because I keep getting shot.

If I could finish that last bit, I'd finish the game (minus the bonus chapters) and be able to mop things up. But ugh. WTF scripted scenes.

Definitely getting a "Drive" vibe, mixed with some David Lynch-style weirdness

Anyone else? I enjoyed Drive so this game appeals to me.

Apdiddy

I hated this game so much on the PC, but yet I got it on the PS3/Vita.

The Vita version is so incredible although at times my screen seems to lock onto an enemy and gets 'stuck,' forcing a restart to a level for me.

The aiming controls seem a LOT better on Vita however compared to the PS3 and even the PC version. That's the biggest complaint I had about the original Hotline Miami -- the controller support wasn't very good at times.

I still wish there were an easy mode though.

Top Bottom