• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

Just wait for the final boss.

Speaking of which: WTF am I supposed to do?

boss spoilers!
you can hide behind the water fountain until he reloads, try to kill the ninjachick next to the fountain so you can quickly grab a new knife and throw. He takes 2 hits.

The
owl mask displays secrets, do they mean the puzzle pieces?

it highlights puzzle pieces and new masks by making them move and glow a little. Not sure why you had to spoiler that :D

Yeah I dont understand why people ask for easy mode, what makes the game so fun is the trial and error aspect.

i think it's more of the accomplishment felt after completing a hard level.

like I was trying to beat chapter 7 last night using only the drill. there were a few rooms that I thought it next to impossible to achieve this, then figure out something, then bam, floor completed.

idk, i prefer when there's a steep learning curve

boss spoilers!
you can hide behind the water fountain until he reloads, try to kill the ninjachick next to the fountain so you can quickly grab a new knife and throw. He takes 2 hits.

once you grab the bell looking thing on the right, immediately charge the cats. you can get at least one hit for free, if not one on each, then start back pedaling while swinging to finish them off. once the cats are dead, back pedal in a straight line to throw the bell at the girl. she'll fall. let her crawl till shes close to the fountain

it makes it cake.

i think it's more of the accomplishment felt after completing a hard level.

like I was trying to beat chapter 7 last night using only the drill. there were a few rooms that I thought it next to impossible to achieve this, then figure out something, then bam, floor completed.

idk, i prefer when there's a steep learning curve

once you grab the bell looking thing on the right, immediately charge the cats. you can get at least one hit for free, if not one on each, then start back pedaling while swinging to finish them off. once the cats are dead, back pedal in a straight line to throw the bell at the girl. she'll fall. let her crawl till shes close to the fountain

it makes it cake.

I love that in a game, the sense of accomplishment, other games that made me feel the same recently were the Souls games and death levels in Sound Shape.

I love that in a game, the sense of accomplishment, other games that made me feel the same recently were the Souls games and death levels in Sound Shape.

i would have mentioned souls but thought i had alluded enough to it.

i like in this game that once you've beaten it a few times, you can put your own parameters on levels and get even more enjoyment from replaying it.

Kane1345

I love this freaking game so much. I had it on PC and honestly the VITA version is the best one I've played. Just feels right on the VITA.

Posted a review on my IGN Blog
http://www.ign.com/blogs/cvbxsta/2013/06/28/game-play-hotline-miami-ps3

imEcyNXMLoehn.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Got this last night and it's awesome but I'm having a lot of issues with the controls, mainly the lock on. It never seems to work right for me. I'm also fucking horrible at it.

sub_o

Got this last night and it's awesome but I'm having a lot of issues with the controls, mainly the lock on. It never seems to work right for me. I'm also fucking horrible at it.

I played it on PS3. They shouldn't have used R3 as the lock on button. I'd prefer if the direction you face changes according to to the movement direction, but that would make it easy though.

Already got 75% of the trophies, man my hands are tired

Overdoziz

Banned
I played through the entire thing on PC without even knowing there was a lock-on mechanic. :|

jvm

Gamasutra.
I went in on this. Well and truly hooked.

Does the lock-on with a button work on PSV? I haven't played the PS3 version yet.

Also apparently I've been missing that there are hidden
masks and puzzle pieces
. Guess I'll replay! :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I went in on this. Well and truly hooked.

Does the lock-on with a button work on PSV? I haven't played the PS3 version yet.

Also apparently I've been missing that there are hidden
masks and puzzle pieces
. Guess I'll replay! :D

Yes. Controls besides the L2 (look) and R2 (lock-on) are the same button combos between the two. Touchscreen is used for L2 (look) and tapping the touch screen is used for R2 (lock-on to someone on the screen/that person) instead.

I just youtubed this.
Okay, that clears things up a little from what I previously posted where I just had no idea. Only clears it up a little and it's still a waste of what they built up. Could've been much more interesting. I suppose it's some kind of MKUltra type thing, but it would be cooler if they actually discussed these things in the game.
(

Actually, there is a lot of foreshadowing
Secret Notes, being a Russian Mafia, the game menu title
but is there to be creepy/unsetting than being political.

TheSeks

Well, beat the normal game. First expansion chapter is kicking my ass because you can't pick up weapons with this new guy. Ugh.

Shaneus

Well, beat the normal game.
First expansion chapter is kicking my ass because you can't pick up weapons with this new guy.
Ugh.
Might want to spoiler that for those who haven't finished it yet. I have, but just saying for people who haven't/

Chapter 9 was messing me up. I kept
trying to kill everyone by going from right to left. Then the laser comes on, the S.W.A.T team storms in and I can't get back to the right side. This time I killed everyone but one guy in the room with the glass windows and stayed on the right side of the laser. Killed him and got out of there.

TheSeks

Gah, can't get an A+ on Chapter 7, even when I fully comboed each stage.
Anyone got any strategies?

Use the longer combo mask?

Edit: And finished. Now to mop up to maybe
explain the ending
?

phierce

Pretty sure this is the most excited I've ever been to go home from a work trip. I've been out of town working since last Sunday, and this Sunday can't come soon enough.

I'm not sure how well this'll work, but my plan is to do a drive-by style kiss to the wife and promptly sit my ass down to play. F'n pumped to play Hotline Miami for the first time!!

Shaneus

So, that mask that you pick up near the very beginning that someone mentioned... I think you get it in the prologue and it turns everything monochromatic... what does it do other than change the colours?

So, that mask that you pick up near the very beginning that someone mentioned... I think you get it in the prologue and it turns everything monochromatic... what does it do other than change the colours?

That's pretty much all it does.

I just played HM on my MacBook Pro and wow, the Vita port looks so much better! The power of the OLED!

Shaneus

I'm wondering if the sensitivity of the enemies is different in this version to the base PC release, because a number of times I've killed guys with knives while someone was sitting on a couch looking directly at them, and doing nothing.

TheSeks

What the fuck is this hospital stealth scene. The worst section I've played in a videogame since the SNES era.

It's not that bad.

Tips:

Go through the window. Time your "whiteout"s with the newpaper being up. You want to rush rooms and take it SLOW.

YOU WON'T BE RANKED THIS CHAPTER. TAKE IT SLOW!!! You grab the keys, rush past the dude to the north (look and time his paper change) to the next room across the hall. Time it to the elevator. Checkpoint, go CLOCKWISE to the door. If you're lucky with spawns (like I was, dunno if it changes) you should be able to reach the left-most door, wait for the doctor to pass and rush to the front door before the other doctor sees you. But you have to TIME YOUR WHITEOUTS for this.

Nothing that's it. It's like the rat mask. An effect change to make the game easier/harder for you. Just in this case it doesn't blink in and out like the rat hood. It's just a monochrome effect.

OnPoint

Went through and finished getting all the puzzle pieces today.

Was an alright way to finish things up I suppose.

Looking forward to the sequel now.

Shaneus

Nothing that's it. It's like the rat mask. An effect change to make the game easier/harder for you. Just in this case it doesn't blink in and out like the rat hood. It's just a monochrome effect.
Okay, sweet. Just wasn't sure as I never picked it up in the PC version and sometimes those masks say one thing but have one other subtle effect. Glad to know it's nothing more than cosmetic.

Markadias

Banned
Just picked this up yesterday. Literally blasting through it at work on my Vita. Such a great game! Having some serious fun right now GAF.

That bug happened to me once or twice as well, crosshair fucks up and i try to turn the character around but it gets stuck at a side and don't turn to the other side. But except that, the game is awesome.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All masks and weapons get on Vita. Now to try and A+ everything.

I only have three complaints with this port:
1) The sticks aren't well suited to twin stick shooting, simply due to their size. Not much to do about it, and it's manageable, but it steepens the shooter learning curve.
2) Framerate bug. Someone mentioned it earlier, but it's true: at random intervals (often pre/post mission interludes) the framerate weirdly stutters. And it's fixed by pausing and unpausing.
3) Lock on and camera movement with the touch screen isn't ideal.

Otherwise, still a masterpiece.

Solal

Fuck! i knew the game had a "GOTF" reputation...but I did not expect such a fantastic, well thought, well balanced, addictive masterpiece!

I can't stop playing it !

Love it on PS3...but I play it on Vita as I don't want my kids to see the slaughters i make!

Man: this game is so good !

T-Matt

I want to get it on vita but after 20 hours with the mouse/kb combo I don't know if I'll be able to adjust. Has anyone made that adjustment okay? I usually don't like using m/kb but this game is so fast paced that it worked great for me.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Just beat the game today. I am not much of a score chaser, so I won't play through it again to A+ everything, but I enjoyed my run through it immensely. Great controls, strategic feeling gameplay, and my favorite thing about it is that there is almost no repercussions for trying things out. Only thing I did not like was the final boss battle. Felt like I beat it only by sheer luck.

I want to get it on vita but after 20 hours with the mouse/kb combo I don't know if I'll be able to adjust. Has anyone made that adjustment okay? I usually don't like using m/kb but this game is so fast paced that it worked great for me.

You will need to plan more on the Vita using analogue controls than with a mouse, since the aiming is slower. Never played the PC version, but typically on the vita, I will need to plan and set up which directions I am going to aim before I enter a room. Twitch shooting is probably not going to work very well without a lot of practice.

It plays fine on the Vita, but it'll never be quite as precise as it was on PC for me. It's why I currently don't plan to A+ all the levels as it's asking a bit much if you've played the game with M+K already.
Haven't tried the PS3 version yet, though.

Top Bottom