• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

Massa

It's hard to go back to the PC version (or the PS3 version) after playing it on the Vita. It just looks so good on that 5" OLED.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, sweet. Just wasn't sure as I never picked it up in the PC version and sometimes those masks say one thing but have one other subtle effect. Glad to know it's nothing more than cosmetic.

It's not in the PC version. That's why you never picked it up.

pa22word

Has anyone managed to get the throw trophies? I'm using Jake and have done the two kill throw multiple times, yet it hasn't registered for me =\

TheSeks

It has to bounce off a wall to hit the other person and you need THREE kills with one throw.

T-Matt

You will need to plan more on the Vita using analogue controls than with a mouse, since the aiming is slower. Never played the PC version, but typically on the vita, I will need to plan and set up which directions I am going to aim before I enter a room. Twitch shooting is probably not going to work very well without a lot of practice.

It plays fine on the Vita, but it'll never be quite as precise as it was on PC for me. It's why I currently don't plan to A+ all the levels as it's asking a bit much if you've played the game with M+K already.
Haven't tried the PS3 version yet, though.
Thanks, that helps me adjust my expectations. Seems like this is the version I'll play more casually which makes sense being portable and all.

Finished it just now. Very fun game to play on the Vita. I waited for the is version and skipped the Android and Steam version. As the PS3 version is included I'll see how the visuals and gameplay changes in the console edition. Sadly it seems that you can't purchase the soundtrack without buying it on Steam. Is it available anywhere else for purchase?

danthefan

I seem to be a bit stuck, I'm on the 6th level (hotel), I've killed everyone, and nothing seems to be happening. A YouTube video suggests the elevator should open but it isn't. And yes I killed the guy sitting on the toilet.

jvm

Gamasutra.
These later
Biker
levels are not fun. Honestly, I just don't feel it like I did with the main levels. :(

Can I really not use
anything but a cleaver and three knives
? Hate it.

Edgeward

I liked them just fine. Especially since the
knife
is the best weapon anyway. Wasn't difficult for me.

Weird and cool how previous levels become so easy to do once you get the game. Cleaning up and getting some trophies I realized how much of an easier time I had getting through even sections that gave me some trouble. Now the only difficult part is getting A+ on everything. You would think getting 119 k on a level would do but apparently not for chap 10 =(

TheSeks

These later
Biker
levels are not fun. Honestly, I just don't feel it like I did with the main levels. :(

Can I really not use
anything but a cleaver and three knives
? Hate it.

Yeah, those levels suck. But they include a puzzle and one mask so you're gonna have to do them.

I like the knife itself, but not being able to pick up your throwing knives or change weapons is REALLY annoying. You have to plan like twenty steps ahead for the three knives to be useful and then go balls out on the knife.

I should have known this game was not for me. Too fucking hard. At least it was only 10 bucks.
Hmm. That's the only thing that might put me off. My skillz aren't all that, but I have finished games like Super Meat Boy, for example. I feel like this one will be worth it just to see what everyone's talking about... Haven't pulled the trigger, though

Cactus

Banned
I like the
biker
levels...

Tearing everything to shreds is fun. I managed to A+ two of the three during my first runthrough.

Hmm. That's the only thing that might put me off. My skillz aren't all that, but I have finished games like Super Meat Boy, for example. I feel like this one will be worth it just to see what everyone's talking about... Haven't pulled the trigger, though
If you completed SMB you won't have any problems with HM. I'm just at chapter 11 though. It's tough sometimes, but so far nothing frustraring. Some SMB stages took me hours.

dab0ne

I liked them just fine. Especially since the
knife
is the best weapon anyway. Wasn't difficult for me.

Weird and cool how previous levels become so easy to do once you get the game. Cleaning up and getting some trophies I realized how much of an easier time I had getting through even sections that gave me some trouble. Now the only difficult part is getting A+ on everything. You would think getting 119 k on a level would do but apparently not for chap 10 =(

I got some bad news. my high on 10 is 135,000 and still no A+

Aleph

Just finished the
biker
levels, loved the part where you
encounter the game's protagonist...
. Still, I didn't understand the ending very well,
the guys in the sewers were behing everything?

Jawmuncher

Once I figured out how to lock on to enemies (square) the game changed completely.

This was how I was on the PC version. It's almost the games "easy" mode sometimes.
But it still comes in handy and isn't always reliable so it evens out a little bit.

TheSeks

What the fuck to some of these chapter rankings. I only got a B+ at 119,000 on Chapter 10!

Variety is the key factor. Use the drill, gun, melee, fists, etc. in a round and try to get a combo.

aro52

Has anyone managed to get the throw trophies? I'm using Jake and have done the two kill throw multiple times, yet it hasn't registered for me =\

I'm having problems with these too. :/
Can anyone clarify what exactly needs to be done?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Do I need to chain combos to get a higher score?

Also in every stage, is there a mask and a puzzle piece?

Edgeward

You can see in the chapter select if there is puzzle piece. If pixel is black it's missing. If it's purple it's been found. There is only at most one per chapter. And they are all in the chapters 1-15 and prologue only.

The listing of a mask is only there for those that achieved via high score, not the ones hidden on some of the levels. Some don't have a mask to be found like chapter 12 but it does have a puzzle

TheSeks

Do I need to chain combos to get a higher score?

And use a variety of weapons, yes.

I got an A+ with the better stealth mask on the prologue. Gotta find the mask/playstyle that suits you for those.

I'm having problems with these too. :/
Can anyone clarify what exactly needs to be done?

There are apparently several glitched trophies are won't activate. I can't remember which ones exactly but the creators know about it. PS3trophies.org has info about it

Edgeward

The hotline miani twitter acct acknowledged that Knife for Pros, Pitcher, and Always on Top is bugged

I hope the patch also addresses the leaderboards, they are a bit borked. Switching filters sometimes just gives you a blank list

M_A_C

Holy crap this game is awesome on the Vita! I loved the PC version, and I have a i7 w/ GTX 570, and this version looks and runs better!

Skyzard

Banned
Which mask makes the screen go all red and white? I could've sworn I had it but can't seem to find it now.

Playing it through again from start to finish instead of copying the save file from the other memory card hah. That's a sign of a very good game given I had just completed it and had been replaying it a lot recently.

--Also an update with a brutal difficulty setting would be amazing. Like AI that stay alert even if you go out of a corner, maybe even search rooms and that - basically copy MGS guards more :)

Maxxan

Any updates on how the PSN-version is doing sales-wise? It'd be great if the developers can get some money out of this =)

Top Bottom