• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

Kydd BlaZe

Beat the game last night. Stayed up waaaay longer than I should have, but I was fucking determined to make it all the way through. Even found all of the hidden letters for the secret ending. Such an addictive, satisfying experience. I'm running on like 3 hours of sleep, but I'll make it through work somehow x__X

Holy shit this game is amazing. It's got it's hooks in me good now. It's got that arcade "just one more try" thing going on, and I'm a big fan of games like this.

For example, my 2012 GOTY was Trials Evolution.

aro52

Beat the game last night. Stayed up waaaay longer than I should have, but I was fucking determined to make it all the way through. . . . I'm running on like 3 hours of sleep, but I'll make it through work somehow x__X

Same here! The coffee IV is pumpin strong this morning! Though I wouldn't say I was "fucking determined" to get through it... it just... happened.

After threatening several times to move my save file over to the PS3, I ended up getting through the whole thing on Vita. I used 'Tony the Tiger' most of the way through, and had a freakin' fist pounding blast! There were still enough situations that required guns, that by the end, I felt that I was getting quite good with em in free-aim. I think I'll challenge myself to playthrough it again, only with free-aim.

As a side, technical note, I only had the game crash on me once. During
the police raid

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Got to Chapter 11. I just need to beat that to
get the mask that silences gunshots
and the game should be easier to play then with the less wonky alert mechanics.

Damnit...lmao with this game. I really suck at playing but it's just 'one more go' and the hours fly by. Been a long time I've had so much fun.

I'm REALLY enjoying this game for the Vita. I finished it on PC back when it launched (didn't get an A+ on every level or all the masks/weapons, though, so maybe I didn't?), and I have to say that the control scheme almost makes it a whole new game for me with a new set of challenges.

I only played the PC version KB/M because controller support was kind of kludged in later and didn't seem like the way it was meant to be played. Double (TRIPLE with cross-buy)-dipping on this game is a great investment!

dyergram

Gotta say this controls superbly on the vita. I wish lock on was x though its a bit difficult getting to square front the thumb stick what a fantastic port though.

Raitaro

Ah thanks! I was looking for this list but didn't want to search through the entire Blood Dragon thread again. Were there any other similar lists in that thread for this type of music that are worth repeating here (from other users perhaps)?

Maybe at some point we should start a thread in the off-topic section for just this type of 80's inspired dance/techno music. It seems to be precisely the type of music that can kickstart the nostalgia for classic games, action movies and the 80's in general.

On-topic: Has there been any word whether the sequel will come to PSN also? I'm always bummed out if I can't have all the parts of a series on one console, so the answer to this might determine if I buy this first game on PSN or not.

ThisOne

Having a lot of fun with this. Only up to about Chapter 5 so far. The Vita controls take some getting used to, though.

What do the weapon unlocks do? Does that just mean that those weapons might spawn in a level now or is it possible to start a level with them equipped or what?

Variety
Try switching weapons alot

Thanks. That would explain a lot. I stick with a couple weapons much of the time.

On-topic: Has there been any word whether the sequel will come to PSN also? I'm always bummed out if I can't have all the parts of a series on one console, so the answer to this might determine if I buy this first game on PSN or not.

It would sure make sense if the sequel showed up on PS3 and Vita. I have a feeling the PSN sales are going to be solid.

BHK3

Banned
Having a lot of fun with this. Only up to about Chapter 5 so far. The Vita controls take some getting used to, though.

What do the weapon unlocks do? Does that just mean that those weapons might spawn in a level now or is it possible to start a level with them equipped or what?

Almost every level I believe has certain spots where every weapon can spawn, you can start with certain weapons but you need to have the mask for it. The weapon unlocks just mean you will now see those weapons spawn.

Alur

This game needs an easy map editor.

If there was some form of map/level editor it's hard to tell how much time I would've thrown into this game. The eight hours I gave it were magnificent, but that was on PC. I'm considering grabbing it on PSN (for PS3) just for a go through on the big screen because I loved it so much.

Shaneus

So this was brilliant... bought and downloaded this last night, go to play it on Vita on the train this morning and "You need to upgrade your system software to play this". UGH.

TheSeks

When does this game save? I've played two levels and nothing..

After every chapter. When the next chapter intro ("March/April/May/June XX 1989 - Miami, Florida") happens you can quit from there and your progress is saved.

-Amon-

Liking this a lot on vita. Only gripe I really don't like the tiny black horizontal lines, looks like a graphical effect because they're absent in the menu and in other games... I would like selectable graphic filter to phase these out. Really disturbing.

So @ 9.99, is this game worth it? I like hard games like Super Meat Boy. Not much a score chaser, but the insanely fast paced violence in the trailer seems intriguing. I like planning out the most badass action moments I can when I play games, so this looks like it has the potential for some seriously slick badass slaughter

About how long and any replay value? And how does it play/look on PS3 (I don't have a Vita)?

The soundtrack to this game is downright incredible. I've had numerous moments where I didn't do anything cause I just wanted to listen to the music.

Awesome game is awesome.

After disappointing GAF darlings like Scribblenauts, I was skeptical, but holy shit this game is addicting. I love the touch controls on the Vita!

Ok, was reading RPS. After this, I'm like 99% sold

SCENARIO #1
You slam the door into a guard walking by it. He falls to the floor, stunned briefly, at which point you jump onto his chest and beat him to death.
You grab the crowbar he dropped, sprint to a wall to remain out of sight.
You watch and wait as two more guards patrol up ahead. One has a gun, the other a bat.
When the latter has his back to you, you sprint fowards, throwing the crowbar as you go to stun the one with the gun. You punch the second one to the ground, grab the crowbar then beat them both to death with it when they stand up again.

That sounds amazing. Like Manhunt or The Last of Us, but accelerated to Vanquish-level pacing. That sounds fucking amazing.

And then this:
SCENARIO #10
No-one sees you, ever. No guns are fired. Everyone is stealth-killed by melee. You are a god. A dark god of patience, picosecond-perfect door-opening and perfect aim.

Can every level by fully stealthed?

So I'm practically sold on this game.
How many levels?
Game length?
Are there any randomized elements to add replay value?

Edgeward

So I'm practically sold on this game.
How many levels?
Game length?
Are there any randomized elements to add replay value?

I have yet to been able to do that for a full level. Yet I could for certain sections, it is pretty tough to do imo

19 chapters

Enemy patrols are not totally set in stone, sometimes they go outside of the rooms they are in so it adds to the randomness. Also weapons found in levels change too.

I have yet to been able to do that for a full level. Yet I could for certain sections, it is pretty tough to do imo

19 chapters

Enemy patrols are not totally set in stone, sometimes they go outside of the rooms they are in so it adds to the randomness. Also weapons found in levels change too.
Awesome. I'm sold. Those scenarios from RPS are just...wow, I love that type of stuff

And it seems that it's just not just mindless slaughter. You need to strategize and plan, and the levels seem to allow for different playstyles.

So would "Manhunt on speed" be an accurate description for Hotline Miami?

Edit:
From Giantbomb
Let's say you see a pot of water boiling on the stove, and want to use it to scald a nearby bad guy. You can do that, and you should. Because it's horrible. And amazing.
:O....I...I...I need this game now. That is just awesome. I can't think any other game that has improvised weapons like that.

dzelly

I bought it the day it released on the PS3, I'm not a PC guy, so I've been waiting for the PS3 release for some time. I'm also doing a short term trade to get my hands on a Vita for a while.

TheSeks

So would "Manhunt on speed" be an accurate description for Hotline Miami?

Manhunt was them chasing you. In Hotline Miami you're the person hunting them down.

And really it isn't a comparison that's accurate. It's an "ultra-violent" "fuck-'em-up" as the devs would say. You can rush rooms. You can stealth and plan (though not good for your score). You can throw weapons and then execute. You can shoot them. Or you can melee or door slam.

After disappointing GAF darlings like Scribblenauts, I was skeptical, but holy shit this game is addicting. I love the touch controls on the Vita!

Indeed. It's the first indie besides Frozen Synapse to really impress me.

Is there a demo for this game? I hope so; I've been wanting to try this game for a long time now.

No.

Only played a little bit, but man is this game addicting.

And violent! Makes me curious as to what this game would look like in 3D on current or next gen consoles.

Is there a demo for this game? I hope so; I've been wanting to try this game for a long time now.
No demo. But maybe like me, reading stuff like this will interest you enough to get it. I know it sold me on the game and I was dead set on saving for Last of Us DLC. But this game sounds too amazing to pass up

From Pixeljudge:
A scenario occurs as follows: you breach the door, knocking over an enemy in the process. From there you pick up their dropped weapon, throw it at the armed guard around the corner, punch out the guy coming at you with the steel pipe, pick up the gun of the fallen enemy, shoot the two armed guards coming around the corner, toss the empty weapon at the guy near the door getting back up, rush to the other downed guy and smash his head repeatedly against the floor, then grab the pipe and smash the last guy’s face in with it.

From Rock Paper Shotgun:
SCENARIO #1
You slam the door into a guard walking by it. He falls to the floor, stunned briefly, at which point you jump onto his chest and beat him to death.
You grab the crowbar he dropped, sprint to a wall to remain out of sight.
You watch and wait as two more guards patrol up ahead. One has a gun, the other a bat.
When the latter has his back to you, you sprint fowards, throwing the crowbar as you go to stun the one with the gun. You punch the second one to the ground, grab the crowbar then beat them both to death with it when they stand up again.

SCENARIO #2
You rush straight through the door, hit punch just once to deck the guy, carry straight on up and do exactly the same to the other two before they have time to react. You have pressed punch three times, and three times only.
You then pick up the dropped gun, move behind a door, fire one shot into the air then wait, just for a moment.
The three stunned guards get to their feet, then rush you, with most of the other guards from this level right behind them. Your shelter means they run straight into your bullets as they round the corner.
You do not hold down fire, for you have only 24 bullets and they will all be spent on a single foe if you do this. You click fire then click fire then pause for a millisecond for the next wave to arrive then click fire then click fire then click fire then clickclickclick and you’re spent but fortunately everyone’s dead.

SCENARIO #10
No-one sees you, ever. No guns are fired. Everyone is stealth-killed by melee. You are a god. A dark god of patience, picosecond-perfect door-opening and perfect aim.

From Giantbomb
Let's say you see a pot of water boiling on the stove, and want to use it to scald a nearby bad guy. You can do that, and you should. Because it's horrible. And amazing.

kick51

Banned
AWESOME GAME!

but wow that ending:
was stupid. what a waste. Build it all up only to make it even more ambiguous. There were so many ways it could have gone and it went nowhere. Oh and the first guy might have been psycho, might have been pissed about his gf, might have been put in the hospital by helmet guy or the mask guy who shoots him. Nobody can tell you anything and then you find out the ones behind the calls are just two crazy guys doing it for fun! Nothing about why the characters obey them, nothing about how they started getting the calls. Who is biker guy? who knows, who cares, he's just there to knock out or kill the first guy...it's hard to tell. This isn't even ambiguity for artistic purposes, it's just not really coherent. It's a shame cause I liked everything building up to it a lot.

Top Bottom