• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

Dingotech

Eek are some trophies really bugged with the game?!?

That happened with the PC version and it took them like 6 months to fix it... I hope they fix the PSN versions quicker because hearing that news makes me not want to make a purchase.

jwk94

Is anybody else having trouble getting the "hit X enemies with a thrown weapon" trophies to unlock? I keep doing it but nothing happens.

jamsy

Finished it yesterday.

Holy shit some parts were frustrating. I was cursing at this game like I haven't in a very long time. The touch lock feature was nice..but I also got killed a bunch because it's hard to disengage and my guy would be facing the wrong way...

Question - how do I get the rest of the masks if I passed every level?

Dingotech

Apparently they have acknowledged the trophy issues on twitter.

Let's see how quickly they fix these compared to the PC release...

bought this last night and played for 2 hours. Amazing sound track. Great retro style graphics and animation and the gameplay is just so damn fun. Bit strange how it doesn't tell you that square is also auto lock as that is really useful.

Is there 20 individual levels? not sure how man I got through last night. Either way its great fun and a decent price.

Bought if for my Vita yesterday, I played a bit of it this morning and I'm around level 8 or 9.

So far I really like this port. I had doubts about the controls (a pad feeling less precise than a km combo for me), but once I got used to tap the screen to lock on my targets, it play as well as the original on PC.

I like that the new mask doesn't provide any new gameplay advantage but has a purely aesthetical effect.

The music is so bonkers and so good. I feel like being ridiculous and buying some Dre Beats or a Jambox just to pair them up with the Vita, only for this game.

Gameplay is so twitchy and brutal. GTA, Drive, and Frozen Synapse on acid.

Had the game on Steam for a long time, but just kept waiting for this port...so far in I'd say the game deserves the instantaneous love it got when it first came out.

pa22word

The add up the ps3 and vita versions' file size on the store page for some weird reason.

In reality the ps3 version is around 600 mb, vita is around 350 mb

I don't even understand why this is even the case, really. The game obviously uses the same assets across the board, so why the discrepancy? Not that I mind or anything, but kinda interesting. I guess they might be using higher levels of compression that seemingly go unnoticed at the lower rendering res on the vita, or something.

Sickbean

Finally able to buy it but now I'm at work :(

Never mind, something to look forwards to for tonight.

So the controls on PS3 are pretty good then? Can you play it almost like Geometry Wars?

I don't even understand why this is even the case, really. The game obviously uses the same assets across the board, so why the discrepancy? Not that I mind or anything, but kinda interesting. I guess they might be using higher levels of compression that seemingly go unnoticed at the lower rendering res on the vita, or something.

I haven't checked it out on my PS2 yet, but I bet it has to do with Vita simply being a much cleaner and more PC-port friendly system architecture and OS... with a lot of extra stuffed cradling the game on PS3 to make it happen. Could be much simpler, though, and just be slightly more complex lighting or less compressed audio files... a technically higher resolution output than what's native to Vita. Not really my lane, and I could be completely wrong, so who knows?

I remember getting Super Street Fighter IV for free from PS+ and it was over 19GB I think... pretty sure the 360 version is only one disc, and I don't see 19+ GB fitting on that.

PS3. What is it?

SmokyDave

Bought this last night and I'm loving it!

Only played the first 4 or 5 chapters so far, and I'm playing it 'wrong' (just like a twin stick shooter, not bothering with lock-on), but I've played enough to know I really like it. Looks great on the Vita and the soundtrack deserves a decent pair of headphones. I'm really looking forward to getting home and firing it up again, which is always a good sign.

Anyone able to get the These Are My Guns - Complete chapter five barehanded trophy?

I beat Ch. 5 with the Tony mask and punched everything to death, but the trophy didn't pop. Is it bugged?

Bought this last night and I'm loving it!

Only played the first 4 or 5 chapters so far, and I'm playing it 'wrong' (just like a twin stick shooter, not bothering with lock-on), but I've played enough to know I really like it. Looks great on the Vita and the soundtrack deserves a decent pair of headphones. I'm really looking forward to getting home and firing it up again, which is always a good sign.

Aww yeah, lock on is for pansies! :D i recommend learning to play without it for a better challenge. Its so satisfying taking out dudes with the Magnum without autoaim.

Jawmuncher

Is there a guide with pictures for where all the letters are? Don't really want to use a video since all I have is my phone.

SmokyDave

Aww yeah, lock on is for pansies! :D i recommend learning to play without it for a better challenge. Its so satisfying taking out dudes with the Magnum without autoaim.
It has been a rush. I love it when I rip through a room and take out several guys in a row before they know what's hit 'em. I'm not sure ill be able to ignore the lock-on forever though.

What's the crack with the little 'fetch some food / drink / a VHS' interludes? What am I actually supposed to be doing there? I feel like I'm missing something.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
It has been a rush. I love it when I rip through a room and take out several guys in a row before they know what's hit 'em. I'm not sure ill be able to ignore the lock-on forever though.

What's the crack with the little 'fetch some food / drink / a VHS' interludes? What am I actually supposed to be doing there? I feel like I'm missing something.

Part of the story

what an amazing story.. pizza, drinks and VHS.. it all makes sense..

They are like "normal" activities the characters do. And they will start to get really bizarre quite fast :D The apartment also has hidden items to pick up like newspaper articles. The apartment also changes after certain events and missions. Pretty cool little details!

Shaneus

This is your first time playing HM? Oh man, to be in your shoes...
wearing a pig mask

SmokyDave

Part of the story
They are like "normal" activities the characters do. And they will start to get really bizarre quite fast :D The apartment also has hidden items to pick up like newspaper articles. The apartment also changes after certain events and missions. Pretty cool little details!
Nice, cheers. I thought it'd be something like that. I kept meaning to check my apartment after missions, but I was too busy rushing to the next one to stove some heads in with a bat.

This is your first time playing HM? Oh man, to be in your shoes...
wearing a pig mask
Yup, certainly is! I'd been meaning to buy it for ages and then the Vita announcement came so I held out. It was worth the wait.

eot

Banned
The endboss...*rage* :(
So hard and I have to skip his stupid lines every time?
Have absolutely no idea how to finish the second (?) stage of the fight, I just die instantly.

Edit: finally...

On PC you could just hold RMB and skip all the lines at once, there's probably an equivalent button to press on the Vita. Check the controls.

Played the Vita version for a bit over an hour yesterday and it's certainly a phenomenally well done port. Compared to the PC version the aiming is a bit more difficult as soon as things get hectic and I don't really care for controlling the camera with the touchscreen, but it's not the end of the world. I'm starting to get behind the idea of the Vita just being a platform for indie games.

Shaneus

Played the Vita version for a bit over an hour yesterday and it's certainly a phenomenally well done port. Compared to the PC version the aiming is a bit more difficult as soon as things get hectic and I don't really care for controlling the camera with the touchscreen, but it's not the end of the world. I'm starting to get behind the idea of the Vita just being a platform for indie games.
If you've played it on PC and still think the Vita version is a decent port, then that's enough to sell it to me. Thanks!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game looks really, really clean and vibrant on the Vita.

If you've played it on PC and still think the Vita version is a decent port, then that's enough to sell it to me. Thanks!
Yeah, from a technical perspective it's a 100% sound port. Looks sharp, runs super smooth, basically no loading. The controls aren't quite there compared to M+K, but it's more than serviceable.

Pretty much the same. I love playing indie games (Or I should just say smaller more gamey type games) on the vita and playing the few big budget cinematic games I want to play a year on my PC.

Anyone able to get the These Are My Guns - Complete chapter five barehanded trophy?

I beat Ch. 5 with the Tony mask and punched everything to death, but the trophy didn't pop. Is it bugged?

I did this one last night. Gave me the trophy before I even returned to my car.

Did the batman trophy as well (Nigel mask). That one was somewhat challenging.

Did you equip weapons at any point? I threw some golf clubs at the gun wielding guys, but used my fists to kill them. Also, melee executions are ok to do, right?

be careful not to kill anyone by accident from throwing stuff :D if an enemy drops a knife when hit by a flying object the knife might kill another guy.

try no picking anything up. that's what i did.

but really, you should just use the Tony mask and be done with

I am using the Tony mask, it's hard to sneak up on a shotgun toting Ruskie, though. Hence, weapon throwing. I'll try to do it without picking anything up.

Edit: Ok, got the trophy. Didn't pick anything up at all, got Combo Pro trophy too!

I am using the Tony mask, it's hard to sneak up on a shotgun toying Ruskie, though. Hence, weapon throwing. I'll try to do it without picking anything up.

just lure them out. I'll dance in and out of a door until they see me and start chasing me. run back in the door, wait, then blind-side with fists-of-fury.

Shaneus

just lure them out. I'll dance in and out of a door until they see me and start chasing me. run back in the door, wait, then blind-side with fists-of-fury.
What's the Tony mask again? I just have fond memories of using whatever the one was that killed people with a good swing of the door... wait until one of the guys walks past, burst in, grab his weapon then go apeshit. Love how much of a badarse you can be with this game.

What's the Tony mask again? I just have fond memories of using whatever the one was that killed people with a good swing of the door... wait until one of the guys walks past, burst in, grab his weapon then go apeshit. Love how much of a badarse you can be with this game.

That's the horse mask, Don Juan

Tony is the tiger mask

Salaadin

Does anyone ever die so much that they get filled with so much rage that their next attempt is some nicely executed, combo filled, awesome thing.

Happened to me last night. I went from dying about 15 times straight to just flat out destroying everyone. Why cant every attempt be like that? Felt like such a badass after.

Does anyone ever die so much that they get filled with so much rage that their next attempt is some nicely executed, combo filled, awesome thing.

Happened to me last night. I went from dying about 15 times straight to just flat out destroying everyone. Why cant every attempt be like that? Felt like such a badass after.

I haven't experienced "the rage" like wearing the Russell mask, but I have perfected a few levels that gives you a very nice sense of satisfaction upon completion

Yeah, happened to me on the run where I got that Chapter 5 trophy. Feels good, man.

Top Bottom