• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

Has anyone managed to get the throw trophies? I'm using Jake and have done the two kill throw multiple times, yet it hasn't registered for me =\

i got it on the Bonus Parking Garage level, on the north side of the map theres 4 guys with melee weapons that charge you as they see you, easy to throw a brick or something through all of them for the trophy.

Finished the true ending yesterday, yay ! (never finished it on PC because of a bug in Prank Call).

Time to give a go to the remaining trophies, and my gosh, trying to compelte ch. 2 with Nigel is sick :(

The wear all masks one for me doesn't seem to be registering.

Yeah, that one doesn't work right. I got it by starting a random chapter, picking a mask, immediately restarting the chapter and choosing a different mask and so on. I did that until the trophy eventually registered.

Yuterald

Not going to lie. I was hardly ever interested in this game when it first came out and I didn't get why it was such a big deal. Well, after reading up on it a bit the other day I decided to impulse purchase it for my PS3/Vita and I finished it last night. I totally get why people blow loads over this game. Love the vibes, almost felt Manhunt-like at times (which is my favorite Rockstar game). Soundtrack's really good too, obviously. The game INSTANTLY clicked when I heard this track, Miami Disco. Easily my favorite tune in the game. Love the arpeggio in this track. The music that plays during the intermission moments sounds like something out of Silent Hill 3 too. Great stuff. The scoring system is fun too, the masks are neat, and the levels are not overplayed. It feels so cool to just fly through a section linking every enemy together for the most amount of points. Definitely one of the most interesting games I've played all year.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Is there a way to suck less at this game? I'm having trouble getting through chapter 5.

dab0ne

Is there a way to suck less at this game? I'm having trouble getting through chapter 5.

You can bait the dudes to come around corners and such by just poking out and running back behind. You can't really go balls out and rush in until you get really used to the controls or have a proper mask to help you along.

Markadias

Banned
Up to 80% Trophy completion... Starting killing dogs and restarting on Chapter 5... Then find out its glitched. So I know the "Dog Lover" and "Let In Some Air" Trophies are glitched and the Devs are aware.
Are there any others?
I've heard that to get the "Pitcher" Trophy you have to complete the chapter after using the weapon. You can't restart, like the puzzle pieces. If anyone can confirm this... Or if its bugged let me know, as I know for a fact I've used them all. Probably not on completed chapters though. I was using them on Chapter 5 again, start of the level where the random spawns were.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finished again. Got the secret ending: WTF is that for a resolution?
The two are US rebels that are trying to break the Russian-USA alliance? Despite the US/Russia being in a cold war for another two years?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished again. Got the secret ending: WTF is that for a resolution?
The two are US rebels that are trying to break the Russian-USA alliance? Despite the US/Russia being in a cold war for another two years?

It's all very stupid, but
the story is generally considered to be commentary on gamers and the games industry, the general pointlessness of playing video games. A whole lot of silliness, as the player is manipulated into killing, willing to do so with just a phone call and enjoy it, regardless of how stupid the story gets. The two janitors are based on Jonatan Söderström and Dennis Wedin, the two designers/artists of the game. They manipulated all the events that happen, literally.

TheSeks

Woah, very meta. But not really a good story. :( Still doesn't explain the
US-Russian Alliance
unless that's some critic of
Russians being used as enemies for every game.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Aaaaaaaand, I'm done.

Finished the game. Then finished the
biker
levels. Then got all the puzzle pieces. Solved the puzzle. And then did the final level with the puzzle solved.

I like the theory about the game that EatChildren has posted. It works, and makes sense. The main thing it leaves open is
what they will say with the sequel

I don't need masks or weapons or A+ ratings. Great game. More than worth the $10.

Same happened to me. The trophies are all kinds of busted.
Just like the PC version. Lol

The two trophies that absolutely cannot be achieved right now are Dog Lover and Let In Some Air. The others are possible but I have a suspicion that cloud saving can mess up progress. I had trouble with two trophies until I wiped my save without syncing and tried again.

TheSeks

Er, I just got "Get A Life" without getting an A+ on every chapter (that you can get a rank on, obviously).

You only need to do up to Chapter 15 is the wiki is right.

@JVM: Dude you aren't done until you get the stealth mask and then complete the game with that. It makes the game a total joke since most of the gun traps no longer are tripped.

OmegaZero

Same happened to me. The trophies are all kinds of busted.

Yeah, just read about some trophies that won't register no matter what you do. :O

You only need to do up to Chapter 15 is the wiki is right.

@JVM: Dude you aren't done until you get the stealth mask and then complete the game with that. It makes the game a total joke since most of the gun traps no longer are tripped.

That's the weird thing, I A+'d the chapters after that, but I still had three that I need to A+ before Chapter 15.
Also, stealth mask? You mean the Iguana or the Unicorn one?

TheSeks

This. Seriously, replay the game with this and laugh at how it makes the game a joke. It seems to even nullify gunshots as well.

I like the knife itself, but not being able to pick up your throwing knives or change weapons is REALLY annoying. You have to plan like twenty steps ahead for the three knives to be useful and then go balls out on the knife.

You gotta think with your resources a little in these. And you can pick up throwing knives if you miss.

TheSeks

All Masks and Sounds of Animals fighting achievements are bugged. Got them all, used them all. No dice.

dab0ne

All Masks and Sounds of Animals fighting achievements are bugged. Got them all, used them all. No dice.

I think it just depends. I'm convinced all trophies are bugged depending on the circumstances. I was able to get the two you mentioned but I can't get "always on top", "60 to car", or "Pitcher"

I think it just depends. I'm convinced all trophies are bugged depending on the circumstances. I was able to get the two you mentioned but I can't get "always on top", "60 to car", or "Pitcher"

i think it's those 3 and "dog lover", "let some air in that" that they're fixing. also the leaderboards are jacked up.

OmegaZero

Huh, that's odd. I got those two a while ago.

I recently got 60 to Car and Pitcher. :O
Try doing the Bonus or Special Stage (that's where I got them).

But yeah, I agree. It seems to vary.

just checked. the ones they've said aren't working are: dog lover, let in some air, knife for pros, pitcher, and always on top.

dab0ne

just checked. the ones they've said aren't working are: dog lover, let in some air, knife for pros, pitcher, and always on top.

ok maybe I just didn't do 60 cars but I feel like I should have. oh well. I got Knife for pros btw. More variance i guess.

Edit: Wow! I just played one more level and got the 60 cars trophy. Now I'm only missing the ones they're working on.

pa22word

It's all very stupid, but
the story is generally considered to be commentary on gamers and the games industry, the general pointlessness of playing video games. A whole lot of silliness, as the player is manipulated into killing, willing to do so with just a phone call and enjoy it, regardless of how stupid the story gets. The two janitors are based on Jonatan Söderström and Dennis Wedin, the two designers/artists of the game. They manipulated all the events that happen, literally.

I think you're wildly misinterpreting the point the developers were trying to make. I
t's not a commentary on the pointless of playing video games, it's a (rather flawed) commentary on how narrative contextualizes gameplay. The developers' thesis is that narrative has no bearing on how we interpret the ludic aspects of video games, and that mechanics is all that matters. Jacket represents the player who plays a game seeking no narrative justification, whilst Helment represents the player who plays a game seeking narrative justification (this is why the game directly pisses in his cheeroes in the final scene, and in the true ending laughs in his face for wasting time chasing down all those puzzle pieces seeking further narrative context for his actions) . In the end, this is a flawed premise because narrative does inherently contextualize the game. It the difference between Saint's Row and GTA IV, CoD and Spec Ops, etc.

aro52

They have to be lined up and I think you actually have to use a red brick. If they're too close you'll knock one enemy into another and only knock them down and not kill them. Here's how I got it:

http://hotline-miami.wikia.com/wiki/Plain_Luck

The tactic laid out in that link worked for me! 2 more shiny Trophies!
It's interesting how the PC achievement specifically states "with a brick", while the PSN Trophy description doesn't.

Massa

How long is this game for a playthrough? Platinum?

Any replay value?

Depends on how good you are, you could beat the game in one hour but most people will take a lot more than that. There's a lot of replayability if you want to go for the platinum, easily worth the $10.

casmith07

Bought it, thoroughly enjoying it. The music is phenomenal.

Really excited if this is the start of the indie rush on Vita.

the last 7 A+ i need just ain't happening for me. also when i went to see how others did some i realized they raised the score requirements for levels in the ps3/vita version.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Where can I buy the OST? I don't think it was ever in a humble bundle or I would have slain myself by now.

The game or the OST? Because the game was in the Humble Bundle 8 if you broke the average.

Top Bottom