• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
that's weird. i got those two a couple of hours ago. there are a bunch of bugged trophies though and they know about it.

I think it just depends. I'm convinced all trophies are bugged depending on the circumstances. I was able to get the two you mentioned but I can't get "always on top", "60 to car", or "Pitcher"

Huh, that's odd. I got those two a while ago.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the cloud-save-syncs. So much for SCEA/SCEE's rigorous testing. Game's as buggy as the PC version when it comes to achievements it seems.

antitrop

Got through a few of the first missions this evening on my Vita. Put a ton of time into it on Steam last year, so I'm familiar with the mechanics and level design, but I was absolutely astounded at how well the controls transferred over to the Vita and how well it played. Not to mention how well it looked on that screen. I think Vita might be the best way to play this game.

Looks like I'll be playing through it again.

TheSeks

Huh. PS3 version unlocked both of those. Really weird thing given I unlocked and did the same thing on the portable and no dice. :/

Also that bat achievement is more annoying than anything. Did it, but annoying having your controls reversed and attempting to rush someone only for them to mow you down because you fumble with the controls.

Yes Boss!

Got a complete and total crash on Chapter 9 Vita. Kicked right back to the Vita OS.

Sucked cause I was almost at the end of the level.

Game is getting hard bit mu skills are also improving.

leroidys

OK so I finished the game earlier today and immediately started another playthrough, which is really the greatest complement I can pay any game in this day of needlessly bloated narcissistic presumptuously filmic narrative train wrecks.

I can't wait for the sequel.

Playing this game for more than an hour on vita destroys my hands though.

How long is this game for a playthrough? Platinum?

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=4530

Playing this game for more than an hour on vita destroys my hands though.

I can recommend the PS Vita Assist Grip that turns it into a large Dualshock! :D
Vita-Assist-Grip.jpg

(you can get one from ebay for around 30$ shipped)

dab0ne

Do you guys think the window and dogs achievements will pop if the numbers are correct once they fix the bugs or will I have to delete my save and start over?

ced

I love the game but it froze 3 times yesterday on me at different chapters and I would lose all progress of the chap, fucking BS. PS3 version.

dab0ne

I love the game but it froze 3 times yesterday on me at different chapters and I would lose all progress of the chap, fucking BS. PS3 version.

That sucks. I've been playing on the vita and haven't had any issues with that.

-Amon-

That sucks. I've been playing on the vita and haven't had any issues with that.

Happened once to me just yersteday. Level 9 i guess, second part.

Edit: On vita, last software upgrade, did not have the chance to play this on ps3 yet.

Markadias

Banned
Up to 88% trophy completion... I'm sure the rest of the trophies are the ones that are bugged. I'll probably come back to it once its patched.

ced

Happened once to me just yersteday. Level 9 i guess, second part.

I think that's where my last hang was. I spent at least 30 mins with that place where the cops show up, finally clear it and it freezes when loading one level heading to the car.

Daigoro

Bought this last night. Game is awesome. Gaf was right.

Bit of a learning curve with the controls, but I'm starting to get them down nicely.

Fun.

Bishop89

Bought this on Thursday for vita (and i guess ps3)
Didnt start playing it until tonight, and WOW, this game is heaps of fun.
Im loving it.

I think most games (at least indies) need to have this instant respawn.

Finally finished it last night and now going through replaying levels for masks, A+s, trophies, etc... I have a feeling that platinum is going to be a bitch to obtain. I also have a feeling I will love every bloody second. This game is so. good.

Finally finished it last night and now going through replaying levels for masks, A+s, trophies, etc... I have a feeling that platinum is going to be a bitch to obtain. I also have a feeling I will love every bloody second. This game is so. good.

yeah most of the trophies are just grindfests so they only take time. But getting A+ on some of these levels, that takes skill, luck and patience :D

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I think you're wildly misinterpreting the point the developers were trying to make. I
t's not a commentary on the pointless of playing video games, it's a (rather flawed) commentary on how narrative contextualizes gameplay. The developers' thesis is that narrative has no bearing on how we interpret the ludic aspects of video games, and that mechanics is all that matters. Jacket represents the player who plays a game seeking no narrative justification, whilst Helment represents the player who plays a game seeking narrative justification (this is why the game directly pisses in his cheeroes in the final scene, and in the true ending laughs in his face for wasting time chasing down all those puzzle pieces seeking further narrative context for his actions) . In the end, this is a flawed premise because narrative does inherently contextualize the game. It the difference between Saint's Row and GTA IV, CoD and Spec Ops, etc.

I like your interpretation, as I enjoyed all the endings.

Jacket: you simply bust through everyone that gets in your way. Nothing stops you, not even the cops or going into a coma. You keep killing until there's seemingly no one left to kill; you've reached the top of the food chain and are free to bask in the release this gives you.

Helmet (puzzle incomplete): you demand answers, but the game devs just laugh in your face. "What did you expect?" You were at their beck and call all along, doing what you had to in order to reach them. It was just a game.

Helmet (puzzle complete): you've uncovered the master plot. An intricate web of "patriots" pulling the strings behind the scenes in order to further their own agenda. You were being used. You got answers, albeit ridiculous ones. You kill them anyway and hit the road. It was still just a game.

All in all, I loved it. I may be reaching or have it slightly wrong as it was pretty late when I got round to finishing it, but still the vibes they're putting out are very clear.
The "aha!" cross-over moment with Jacket and Helmet at Phone HOM was very cool.

Still loving it, as going for A+ across the board is an entirely different experience. Froggy mask for a big combo window and just charging through is thoroughly entertaining, although I do enjoy messing around with the other masks occasionally.

Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the sequel.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Helmet (puzzle complete): you've uncovered the master plot. An intricate web of "patriots" pulling the strings behind the scenes in order to further their own agenda. You were being used. You got answers, albeit ridiculous ones. You kill them anyway and hit the road. It was still just a game.
I would quibble with one bit here. I
did not kill the guys behind everything
and just
walked back to my bike and the game ended
. So that last
kill
is apparently optional.

TheSeks

A+ is apparently based on score. Abuse knock down and executions and you don't ever have to worry about most of the other stats/time it seems.

Got a 50000 score in Chapter 9/Crackdown and got a B+ because it wasn't a 70,000 score like the A+ youtubes show. Ugh.

OnPoint

The only thing I didn't get with the ending(s) was
in Jacket's story, you kill Helmet. In Helmet's story, you kill Jakcet. Is one "the real" ending?

Voror

Well, I bought the game yesterday and have played nearly halfway by estimation on my Vita. It's pretty fun and quite ridiculous although the targeting is still driving me a bit crazy. It did get better when I realized that pressing square also auto targeted.

It's funny that I try to strategize only to find that simply running in and hitting everyone is far more effective most of the time.

sunnz

I seen this game on the PC and never really cared for it.

Once it hit the vita, I was pretty tempted to buy it and did a few days ago.

I must say, it really is VERY fun and loving every minute. Love the way it plays, can't wait for the sequel for it!

The music is just phenomenal, one of the only games I ONLY play when I have headphones around, really makes the experience so much better.

Some help, what is the best way to earn the most points? Being stealthy ( do you even get points for that), doing the missions super fast or doing a lot of combo kills/ using a variety of weapons? Other ways?

Or all at once :p

Hope we see more of indie titles like this on the vita, they just are a lot more... worth it in a sense compared to getting it on the PC.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I beat this game on PC and just bought it on Vita. How do the controls translate to the Vita? I played with mouse/keyboard and it seems like it would be a lot harder playing with a gamepad.

J-Roderton

Going back and just playing through this with Tony mask. I'm getting As and A+s all over the place. ha. This game is amazing.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Slightly disappointing, unless its just the devs
screwing with us
I'm just being flip with my original answer, but I think the whole game could be seen
as an attempt to show something which has no single explanation or narrative thread.
That is, by presenting
self-contradiction, it both tells and doesn't tell what we think of as a story
. Games that have
multiple endings do this, but in a consistent way, that the ending is a natural outgrowth of the narrative bits in the game; think of Silent Hill 2 and how the ending you get depends on your actions within the game
. Here we have a different take: a story
which bends back on itself and passes through the same point in time, but makes no effort to stay internally consistent when doing so
. Each ending
make sense on its own, is locally temporally meaningful, but there is no globally temporally consistent view

Going back and just playing through this with Tony mask. I'm getting As and A+s all over the place. ha. This game is amazing.

The Tony mask makes me feel godlike. Guns? WHO NEEDS GUNS?

Also, I hate those fucking dogs so punching them in the mouth is very satisfying.

daffy

Banned
M.O.O.N.'s Crystals may just be the best thing that has ever passed through my eardrums. I'm like "ok this game can wait while I dance for 5 minutes."

M.O.O.N.'s Crystals may just be the best thing that has ever passed through my eardrums. I'm like "ok this game can wait while I dance for 5 minutes."

I hear ya. I love all the artists that HM is introducing me to. I really get movin' when Perturbator's "Miami Disco" (Chapter 8) starts thumping through my speakers as well.

Paskil

I beat the game and am on my second playthrough on Vita. Game only crashed once on me when the
SWAT team busts in, I made it down to the bottom floor and evaded all the way to my car and was shot as I was getting in the door of my car
. Game crashed to OS and had to reopen from bubble. Other than that, game runs great and I much prefer these controlls to when I originally played on PC with KB+M.

killbox

I beat it on vita, but played a bit on PS3. I found it to be a bit more fun on vita, being able to tap the screen for targets and panning the screen via touch were nice.

It did crash on me towards the last level and actually had a "send crash info" message. never seen that on a console game.

I also saw a bug were the big dudes could clip through walls. kind of terrifying =) I managed to beat the level while that was happening.

I've rarely played a modern console game were failure and retrying was so effortless. No massive load screen, no rewatching a cut scene, etc. push X, back to it. Really had me experimenting more than I would in a normal action game.

Top Bottom