• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I would quibble with one bit here. I
did not kill the guys behind everything
and just
walked back to my bike and the game ended
. So that last
kill
is apparently optional.

Yeah, I figured it was optional. Either way all you're left with at the end is
all the blood on your hands and the open road!
Pretty nitty-gritty stuff.

OnPoint

I'm just being flip with my original answer, but I think the whole game could be seen
as an attempt to show something which has no single explanation or narrative thread.
That is, by presenting
self-contradiction, it both tells and doesn't tell what we think of as a story
. Games that have
multiple endings do this, but in a consistent way, that the ending is a natural outgrowth of the narrative bits in the game; think of Silent Hill 2 and how the ending you get depends on your actions within the game
. Here we have a different take: a story
which bends back on itself and passes through the same point in time, but makes no effort to stay internally consistent when doing so
. Each ending
make sense on its own, is locally temporally meaningful, but there is no globally temporally consistent view

I think you may be right, especially considering the story was basically a
middle finger to Jacket and Helmet with no real reasoning behind it. It makes sense that the devs would give us the same middle finger through such a contradiction.

Now I'm just left wondering how
such a paradox ends up drawing us into the sequel

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Carl mask. Drill dem fools!

That won't give you enough on Crackdown/Chapter 9. I get 50,000 at best. You need 70,000. So that means you have to combo which... with the guns around... isn't too smart to execute the ground people since the drill execution takes a few seconds that means someone can shoot you. I'm thinking the stealth mask works for that one...

OmegaZero

That won't give you enough on Crackdown/Chapter 9. I get 50,000 at best. You need 70,000. So that means you have to combo which... with the guns around... isn't too smart to execute the ground people since the drill execution takes a few seconds that means someone can shoot you. I'm thinking the stealth mask works for that one...

Gah, no wonder. :O
With Carl, I've been getting over 60,000 and I kept getting A ranks.

TheSeks

That's the only one that I've seen that Carl isn't effective on. I used Carl for Prologue-00 to 03 and haven't had issues getting A+ easily with it using the ground->execute option. But you have to make sure they aren't wall-grounded but completely flat/floor-grounded before you execute to get the most points.

Edit: Reading around Carl seems effective on the level but I can't seem to get high enough for A+ with it. I might have to see if that exploit works but it requires balls of steel with the gun for it.

TheSeks

I can't seem to get the extra 600 points with the gun enemies picking up an empty gun in the room trick to work. I can get it to work once but then it doesn't work again. Seems they patched it or I'm doing it wrong.

GhostSeed

Got a complete and total crash on Chapter 9 Vita. Kicked right back to the Vita OS.

Sucked cause I was almost at the end of the level.

Game is getting hard bit mu skills are also improving.

This just happened to me on the PS3 version. This is the only PSN game I ever had this many problems with hopefully they can patch it.

TheSeks

PC version is just as buggy. Don't count on it.

Also got to 66,000 in Chapter 9. A rank. So yeah, 4,000 more needed for A+. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Tried using the drill only. No dice. Tried to go for a combo. No dice. Combining the two seems suicidal with the guns and dogs in that level.

Different slices of a multiverse.

I'm pretty sure that
Helmet's version of events is true, to a certain extent. Everything in Jacket's timeline, right up until the Helmet fight is true. In the fight, Helmet puts Jacket into a coma. The stages in Jacket's story after the Helmet fight are untrue until he wakes out of his coma. Remember that one part of the game, one of Jacket's masks says "everything from this point on is fake" or something to that extent.

Gun Animal

What are some more polished, 3d/polygonal games with balancing like Hotline Miami? By which I mean one-hit kills on both the player and enemies, non-respawning enemies, low ammo etc etc. I love the way this game plays and I'd love it even more if it was a third person action/stealth game with otherwise identical gameplay.

Also, I think one of the main reasons modern games lean towards hand-holding is because dying inevitably means waiting 10~20 seconds. would the increased size and speed of ram in next-gen consoles make hotline miami style instant checkpoint reloading more possible?

What are some more polished, 3d/polygonal games with balancing like Hotline Miami? By which I mean one-hit kills on both the player and enemies, non-respawning enemies, low ammo etc etc. I love the way this game plays and I'd love it even more if it was a third person action/stealth game with otherwise identical gameplay.

(emphasis mine)

I don't think you could have an "otherwise identical" game if it were third-person. I think part of the reason HM works so well is the kind of manic rampage that the top down view allows for. The ability to "see through" walls, something that a 3D 3PP simply couldn't do, is what encourages the player to run wild killing everything in their path in pursuit of that A+; the instant respawn also contributes.

Gun Animal

(emphasis mine)

I don't think you could have an "otherwise identical" game if it were third-person. I think part of the reason HM works so well is the kind of manic rampage that the top down view allows for. The ability to "see through" walls, something that a 3D 3PP simply couldn't do, is what encourages the player to run wild killing everything in their path in pursuit of that A+; the instant respawn also contributes.

What if you threw in a top-down radar? Or a "listen" mode ala the Last of Us but more fast-paced.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure that
Helmet's version of events is true, to a certain extent. Everything in Jacket's timeline, right up until the Helmet fight is true. In the fight, Helmet puts Jacket into a coma. The stages in Jacket's story after the Helmet fight are untrue until he wakes out of his coma. Remember that one part of the game, one of Jacket's masks says "everything from this point on is fake" or something to that extent.

Oh snap. What was the deal with the masks, anyway?
I guessed they were all part of his unstable personality, or hallucinations from all the drugs, but that could be quite a naive view.

I'd like to hear peoples' takes on
the part where Jacket comes home to the guy in the rat mask.
That bit freaks me out. It seems very 'Fight Club'...

Edit: Hold up, I'm pretty sure when
you take out Jacket as Helmet, you don't just put him into that coma. I mean, you have a butcher's knife... I think you simply kill him off in that "alternate timeline" (as others have suggested), and the coma in Jacket's timeline could be caused purely by himself and all the madness he's been through.

This always looked to gimmicky to me, is it legit

there are several flimsy Vita Grips around but the Assist Grip is the most solid and as it is a perfect copy of the DualShock handles it feels just right :D

Tried using the drill only. No dice. Tried to go for a combo. No dice. Combining the two seems suicidal with the guns and dogs in that level.

Combining is the best :D Knock the gun guys down, pick up a gun, shoot the dog, instantly pick up the drill again, knock them down again :D If heavy guys show up, try hiding behind a door. The AI is incredibly silly.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does the sequel
continue from Jacket's or Biker's ending? Or is it standalone ala Silent Hill 2?

Seriously. I haven't ran to this many problems since I don't know when. I know that some are patched in the beta but it's pretty much the only game that I have seen to throw exceptions and still be able to continue. It has total locked my PC. Crashed billions of times of when doors hit multiple people. Controller stuck on auto-vibrate forever. When I beat the last boss, the music threw an error, computer got stuck for like 5 minutes and then I was able to finish... without sound.

It's an awesome game but goddamn.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope I can plat the game before the sequel comes out.

What mask should I wear for A+-ing the stages though.

Trying to A+ every stage. So far I've had the most success with simply punching/throwing people and finishing them off on the ground. Any other tips?

I hope I can plat the game before the sequel comes out.

The frog mask that extends your combo timer is pretty essential.

Trying to A+ every stage. So far I've had the most success with simply punching/throwing people and finishing them off on the ground. Any other tips?

The frog mask that extends your combo timer is pretty essential.

this was JUST discussed like two posts ago :D Carl mask, Frog mask are good for most levels but you might want to try out different ones to maximize variety.

best normal point combo is knockdown by door or fist/blunt weapon and a ground finish when the enemy is on the floor, not slumped against a wall. gets around 400-600 points from the knockdown and 1000-1200 points from the ground finish. The Drill Carl -mask does the best combination of these.

I also recommend using level unique items like boiling water and pool cues to do ground finishes to get good points and variety bonus.

dab0ne

Also got to 66,000 in Chapter 9. A rank. So yeah, 4,000 more needed for A+. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

I used the Frog mask (Zack) when I went back for my A+ run through. It makes it much easier to chain combos. Also, use doors and throw weapons to knock down enemies then use that weapon to kill them when they're on the ground. You get 300 for the knock down and 1000 for the melee weapon kill while they're on the ground. You do that consecutively with the Frog mask and it all combos for lots of points. Also, if you're "bold" you get even more points. A punch knockdown from behind gives you like 300 points but you can get up to 1200 if the person you knock down is pursuing you and you punch them head on.

Fady K

I haven't played this yet, but the music for it on the XMB menu is...surprisingly amazing. Did not think a game that had this aesthetic would sound like this.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm pretty sure that
This is a great explanation. As pointed out below by B-Genius, the weapon used leaves this somewhat ambiguous still. Thanks.!

TheSeks

Combining is the best :D Knock the gun guys down, pick up a gun, shoot the dog, instantly pick up the drill again, knock them down again :D If heavy guys show up, try hiding behind a door. The AI is incredibly silly.

Knocking them down again doesn't give you more points (okay it does but it isn't consistent). If it did, I'd exploit that. You might as well execute them on the ground quickly to combo instead of going for the dogs.

Knocking them down again doesn't give you more points (okay it does but it isn't consistent). If it did, I'd exploit that. You might as well execute them on the ground quickly to combo instead of going for the dogs.

oh yeah i meant that if there's dogs in the same space and are beelining towards you. knocking the guys down just gives you time to deal with dogs/big guys.

Eterniti

I've only heard about this game from friends a few months ago and I actually was excited to hear that it's finally coming to consoles by way of PS3 and Vita.

I have to say that though it might be difficult for some, the gameplay has that same trial and error kind of mechanic that made me appreciate Super Meat Boy. Yea, it's a one shot kill, but the gameplay is so satisfying that I want to play it a ton... and having it on the Vita is a fantastic call! Props to the devs for realizing that Hotline Miami on the go is one of the most awesome things to have happen to the Vita this year.

With that said I hope Hotline Miami 2 launches for PS3/Vita also. :eek:

velociraptor

I beat it on vita, but played a bit on PS3. I found it to be a bit more fun on vita, being able to tap the screen for targets and panning the screen via touch were nice.

It did crash on me towards the last level and actually had a "send crash info" message. never seen that on a console game.

I also saw a bug were the big dudes could clip through walls. kind of terrifying =) I managed to beat the level while that was happening.

I've rarely played a modern console game were failure and retrying was so effortless. No massive load screen, no rewatching a cut scene, etc. push X, back to it. Really had me experimenting more than I would in a normal action game.
I totally agree.

Hotline Miami is one of the few games where I don't care if I die.

TheSeks

oh yeah i meant that if there's dogs in the same space and are beelining towards you. knocking the guys down just gives you time to deal with dogs/big guys.

Been doing that but I keep getting taken out trying to get the 1000 knock down and the 1000 drill execution. :(

Salaadin

I had a weird moment the other day where I died and immediately suspended the game, ripped the fucking game off of it in a fit of rage, and then went right back and booted it up again.

That stage (I think its 9) where
The SWAT team jumps in caught me so off guard. The music changes and it says "stage complete" so you think its over but its not.

Alright is there an official list of bugged trophies? These are all the ones I'm missing so far.

200 window breaks
99 dead dogs
I know those two are glitched

Use all melee weapons
Do all ground executions

I swear I feel like I've done those last 2.

That stage (I think its 9) where
The SWAT team jumps in caught me so off guard. The music changes and it says "stage complete" so you think its over but its not.

I love these suprise unique moments in certain missions, especially when you play it the first time. Curveballs!

Markadias

Banned
Alright is there an official list of bugged trophies? These are all the ones I'm missing so far.

200 window breaks
99 dead dogs
I know those two are glitched

Use all melee weapons
Do all ground executions

Do you have go to the car 60 times? I'm missing that too. The other 4 I don't have either...
I'm not 100% but you may have to use a weapon and complete the level for it to register. You can't restart and hope for another random spawn (If someone can confirm that it would be appreciated).
I know for a fact I've used all the melee weapons and throwing weapons... But no trophy.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I love these suprise unique moments in certain missions, especially when you play it the first time. Curveballs!

Same! Really cool way to mix things up.
The van smashing through the wall
in a later chapter gave me the fright of a lifetime.

That said, I've jumped more with Hotline than any horror game to date. I think it's the jarring nature of being brought instantly out of "the zone" from one enemy you didn't see or misjudged. Those shotgun toting bastards get me every time I'm on a roll and make me look like a fool on crowded trains.

Use all melee weapons
Do all ground executions

here is a complete checklist of all ground execution weapons.

Drill
Knife
Crowbar
Lead Pipe
Golf Club
Baseball Bat
Machete
Sledgehammer
Brick
Hammer
Katana
Glass Bottle
Fireaxe
Scissors
Pool Cue
Broken Pool Cue
Baton
Dart
Frying Pan
Pot
Pot with water

pretty much the same list for melee kills.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Beat it on vita last night. I think I would've preferred if they cut the story completely and instead just had double the levels. Lot of fun while it lasted

here is a complete checklist of all ground execution weapons.

Drill
Knife
Crowbar
Lead Pipe
Golf Club
Baseball Bat
Machete
Sledgehammer
Brick
Hammer
Katana
Glass Bottle
Fireaxe
Scissors
Pool Cue
Broken Pool Cue
Baton
Dart
Frying Pan
Pot
Pot with water

pretty much the same list for melee kills.
I've done all of them. I even made a notepad list and marked them off and made sure I did them on my successful run through of the level.

pa22word

2013-07-04-061401vpsft.jpg

Well, that was insanity in video game form on the vita sticks. Holding off on the plat until they patch it to fix the broken trophies.

Top Bottom