• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

mauaus

2013-07-04-061401vpsft.jpg

Well, that was insanity in video game form on the vita sticks. Holding off on the plat until they patch it to fix the broken trophies.

whoa whats broken? i was about to pursue it!

Yuterald

I just finished the game on Vita.

IMO, Best soundtrack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEQG_kiDK8

Totally agree.

When that track plays I feel like I'm ON FIRE and going on a killing spree.

Hah, I actually can't stand that track. Whatever primary synth//sound/key they're using in that song irritates me, lol! Miami Disco is my favorite track in the game. That stage with this music was the moment where the game clicked for me. I was digging it up until that point, but I "got it" when this shit dropped.

whoa whats broken? i was about to pursue it!
just checked. the ones they've said aren't working are: dog lover, let in some air, knife for pros, pitcher, and always on top.

"dog lover" and "let some air in" are unobtainable. i don't know exactly what triggers them but the other 3 are possible. i've been trying to get "always on top" but it just won't pop. "get a life" is also messed up as you can get it before getting all A+'s.

dyergram

Oh snap. What was the deal with the masks, anyway?
I guessed they were all part of his unstable personality, or hallucinations from all the drugs, but that could be quite a naive view.

I'd like to hear peoples' takes on
the part where Jacket comes home to the guy in the rat mask.
That bit freaks me out. It seems very 'Fight Club'...

Edit: Hold up, I'm pretty sure when
you take out Jacket as Helmet, you don't just put him into that coma. I mean, you have a butcher's knife... I think you simply kill him off in that "alternate timeline" (as others have suggested), and the coma in Jacket's timeline could be caused purely by himself and all the madness he's been through.
I might be misunderstanding it but I thought that
there are other people killing as well, some are the ones you see at the start owl dude and horse face you find some of them dead in the stages and collect masks from their corpses

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
there are other people killing as well, some are the ones you see at the start owl dude and horse face you find some of them dead in the stages and collect masks from their corpses

Oh derp, of course. Dunno why I neglected that detail. I mean, I know
there are other killers out there, but I never put two and two together.

Still not 100% convinced what the deal is with horse face, owl dude and chicken head. Especially
rat man. Isn't he the one that puts you into a coma?
So confused...

dyergram

Oh derp, of course. Dunno why I neglected that detail. I mean, I know
there are other killers out there, but I never put two and two together.

Still not 100% convinced what the deal is with horse face, owl dude and chicken head. Especially
rat man. Isn't he the one that puts you into a coma?
So confused...
I think that chicken head is jacket, when ever there are flys on the screen its in jackets mind...I think

Yes Boss!

I beat it earlier today.

Loved every minute of it but I don't think I'll be going back to get all the other trophies or 100% it. I tried but the way it makes you go to the continuing chapter after trying to score better on one is a bit of a drag.

It should really just spit you back to the menu to select another chapter.

Hah, I actually can't stand that track. Whatever primary synth//sound/key they're using in that song irritates me, lol! Miami Disco is my favorite track in the game. That stage with this music was the moment where the game clicked for me. I was digging it up until that point, but I "got it" when this shit dropped.

That is where it clicked for me too. Sublime. A truly great videogame moment. Fantastic!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I think that chicken head is jacket, when ever there are flys on the screen its in jackets mind...I think

I think you're right. The chicken/rooster mask is the first one you get, so I guess that's him being weird in his own head. The Wiki doesn't really shed much light on it, so thanks for humouring me!

Just got the all A+ trophy prematurely. Still gonna do the right thing and finish off the stragglers.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That special ending when you find all the puzzle pieces is great. Really opens up the world of the game.

Now to find the rest of the masks!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't get the "The sound of animals fighting" or whatever it's called trophy.
I've used them all. No avail.

Try it on the other version of the game you aren't playing. It's apparently a sync issue.

"dog lover" and "let some air in" are unobtainable. i don't know exactly what triggers them but the other 3 are possible. i've been trying to get "always on top" but it just won't pop. "get a life" is also messed up as you can get it before getting all A+'s.

I think I'm still missing knife for pros, somehow... :|
Definitely missing the 2 glitched ones and always on top too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How is Get A Life bugged? Like what chapters do you need to complete in order to get it?

How is Get A Life bugged? Like what chapters do you need to complete in order to get it?

I think you just need to hit a random # of chapters in the vicinity of 14.
It popped for me after I finished Chapter 13 Assault. I may have had 1 A+ somewhere in the biker chapters.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's 13. Complete 13 chapters with A+ and you get the trophy.

So it doesn't matter what chapters you choose (even the Biker and Bonus chapters) so long as it's A+?

So it doesn't matter what chapters you choose (even the Biker and Bonus chapters) so long as it's A+?

Pretty much.

Agent White didn't have to do chapter 13/14 because he had A+s later on prior to.
Mine popped when I finished 13 (I started back at the beginning and didn't have A+ on anything prior to).

I wish I could get these last two melee trophies to pop so I only had to worry about dogs and panes of glass when it's fixed. :(

I also got the Get A Life trophy without making the grade on every level. I hope they fix the trophies soon. This will be my first plat!

Knowing very little about this game, is it similar to Retro City Rampage? Top down, old school graphics, GTA throwback?
Makes Retro City Rampage look like pond scum. Level-based ultraviolent mindbending carnage.

Staal

This game is hard. I've been stuck on Tension for the past 3 days. Everytime there is one mobster that kills me instead of being killed.... damnit.

*dat Soundtrack*

End game spoilers, I guess.

When you confront who I'm assuming are Hotline Miami's developers, I couldn't figure out which questions I was going to ask. I couldn't tell which option which highlighted and which wasn't. I'm surprised something like that made it to the final game.

hawk2025

When you confront who I'm assuming are Hotline Miami's developers, I couldn't figure out which questions I was going to ask. I couldn't tell which option which highlighted and which wasn't. I'm surprised something like that made it to the final game.

That's almost the point, I felt :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Knowing very little about this game, is it similar to Retro City Rampage? Top down, old school graphics, GTA throwback?

It's quite unlike any game out there. Watch some gameplay vids and you'll see why.

There's nothing "retro" about this game; it feels more like an art direction than a retro throwback.

Those aren't the devs and the questions get ou nowhere no matter what. There is a hidden ending that I rather enjoyed. It envolves finding a hidden item in each of the first 16 levels

Thanks, guys. Also, in regards to this:

I must have missed this detail completely. What are some levels in which I can find this?

jdevil99

I'll admit that I passed this up on PC because it looked like a Grand Theft Auto rip off for kids with short attention spans. Based on all the hype and positive feedback from other GAFers, I decided that my Vita needed to be dusted off and bought this. Holy shit, was I wrong about my assumption.

This is the glorious lovechild of OG GTA, Super Meatboy and Miami Vice....and it couldn't be more fantastic. I really didn't get it at first, but by the third chapter, I was hooked. Kick-ass sound track, fast and furious game play mechanics and the subtly creep factor of knowing your slaughtering people wearing animal masks makes this my surprise hit for the year. This game is aces!

jvm

Gamasutra.
I also got a little bit of Loaded vibe, too.
When I first played Loaded! back when it came out, I was really blown away. Just incredible.

Then I played it again in about 2005. It was terrible. Horrible, horrible. Not enjoyable in the least.

Hotline Miami was nothing like that. At least, in my estimation. Hotline Miami is also clever and thoughtful in ways that I think Loaded! could only dream of.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Those aren't the devs and the questions get ou nowhere no matter what. There is a hidden ending that I rather enjoyed. It envolves finding a hidden item in each of the first 16 levels

I dunno, I think Jack's on the right lines.
It definitely seemed like the duo had a double-meaning. The non-secret ending is "hey, you did it! You killed everyone and you did it for fun! And we kinda made you do it... just for fun! That's it!" Seems like something two trolling Swedish devs would say
;)

They're obviously
the devs. That's why they talk to you about how it's all a game and an excuse to get you killing.

beating the second floor of
the cop building
seems really hard on vita, due to guns sucking so much on it. The touch screen aim is infuriating.

Use the square button. If you still have problems try the Peter mask.

The square button..? I am a dumbass, I hadn't realized what it did. I ended up shooting the big dudes and hiding in the elevator. For some reason, no one followed me there. But yeah, killing five dudes in a row in free aim, can do, but much more, can't.

dyergram

...I'm not sure about that. I thought I got those masks just for beating the levels.
Im not 100% on this its just a theory. I assumed that there are other people in masks doing killings and sometimes being killed in the process hence random dead bodies and masks you find throughout the game.For example on push it ch8 you get the Carl mask off the body on the dance floor notice the jacket is similar to the protagonist as well
geUPsJg.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
beating the second floor of
the cop building
seems really hard on vita, due to guns sucking so much on it. The touch screen aim is infuriating.
There is a technique that makes it fairly easy in my opinion. I just punched the two guys out there and killed them (you might have to get the guy to the left to follow you around the corner, otherwise he will just shoot you). This way no other enemy gets alerted. Then pick up the shotgun that one of the guy drops, go to the left, open the door and shoot the big guy. Dont enter the room with the big guy, but go a bit down instead. All the other enemies will come through the door, then you can either shoot them or punch them. This will not alert the guys on the right, even if you shoot. When you have cleared that side, you can go to the right side and take out the 2nd big guy using the same technique. It could be that you can start with the right side and take the left side last as well, i dont think i've tried that.

Only two glitched trophies away from the platinum....

Played about 95% on Vita and I think only two A+ chapters on PS3. The game was glorious on Vita.

I hope Wrong Number is out for PS3/Vita soon after the PC-version (which I will also buy of course ;) ). It would love it if it were out day-and date with PC but I doubt that will happen.

Silurus

Finished it all on the Vita the other day. Loved every minute of it. Hope we don't have to wait too long before no.2 comes to PS.

mauaus

Ugh am I missing something??? It's like I never unlocked the last weapons... I have never seen the brick, scissors and ninja stars in game, I know what they look like but I stopped unlocking weapons after the sledge hammer. I added my points up and I have about 950k so I should have them all unlocked...???   I already have a+ on all the levels on vita

I can't get the "The sound of animals fighting" or whatever it's called trophy.
I've used them all. No avail.

My advice would be to first re-equip the Russel mask and see if it pops. I had to use it twice for some reason. I also don't know if you have to just wear them or actually complete a level with it to count; I'm assuming it's the former though. Still, I chose "No Talk" as my chapter and finished it wearing every mask I knew I hadn't completed a level with (it's super short). Still nothing. I equipped Russel again and boom. It popped.

I'm stil missing the 3 confirmed glitched ones (Dog Lover, Let in some air, Always on Top), but for some reason Gun Show isn't popping for me as well. Driving me up the fucking wall....
Edit: Gun Show popped just now. It was apparently a syncing issue. I re-sync'd, loaded up "Decadence" and just kept running through there until all the guns (except for the MP5 and Silenced Uzi) spawned and it popped.

Ugh am I missing something??? It's like I never unlocked the last weapons... I have never seen the brick, scissors and ninja stars in game, I know what they look like but I stopped unlocking weapons after the sledge hammer. I added my points up and I have about 950k so I should have them all unlocked...???   I already have a+ on all the levels on vita

Those two in particular are really easy to miss, the brick especially because of its size and color. I'd suggest firing up chapter three ("Decadence") as it's a great place to get all kinds of weapon spawns. The two place that will spawn weapons are in the center space just past the first mobster, and the room directly above where you start the level. Just start it up and take a peek. If what you're looking for isn't there, die and restart. You also shouldn't forget about the Frying Pan in kitchen in "Full House" or the Pot (both with the boiling water and without it) in "Overdose" or "Neighbors".

test_account

XP-39C²
Is it possible to play the later levels and using a mask?

How are the controls? I played a little bit of the PC version, and am considering double dipping.
I havnt played the PC version, but i have no problem with the Vita controls at least. There is also a lock on mechanic that makes it easier to hit enemies.

Load any level, choose a mask, run up to the first enemy, die. Restart mission. Next mask.

Got my trophy like this.
I did it like this and the trophy didnt pop for me :\ After that i completed a level with every mask and i got the trophy. However, i see that someone above here mentioned that he had to equip the Russel mask twice, maybe i only had to do that myself to get the trophy, because i think i got the trophy when i got to the Russel mask
which is the last mask in the list, and i played through the levels starting with the mask on top and working my way down on the list.

Yes Boss!

When I first played Loaded! back when it came out, I was really blown away. Just incredible.

Then I played it again in about 2005. It was terrible. Horrible, horrible. Not enjoyable in the least.

Hotline Miami was nothing like that. At least, in my estimation. Hotline Miami is also clever and thoughtful in ways that I think Loaded! could only dream of.

Yeah, I've not played Loaded since it released. I reckon it is terrible now. It was fun back in the day, for sure, though.

Top Bottom