• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

Mr.Ock

Bought today and playing it on my Vita. At first I had problems with the controls, but they have grown on me now.

One question. The final score (A,B...) depends on how many times I die? also, the total time of the level takes in consideration all the times I died or only the time it took me to finish the level?

Bought today and playing it on my Vita. At first I had problems with the controls, but they have grown on me now.

One question. The final score (A,B...) depends on how many times I die? also, the total time of the level takes in consideration all the times I died or only the time it took me to finish the level?

only has to do with your score, which is based on everything at the end of the level.

Withnail

Fucking SCEE. Tempted to head to London and reenact the game for real in their office.

First PSN game I've looked forward to for a while and they've botched it. Can't buy it from either the web store or the PS3 store and I don't have a Vita (for shame).

Useless shits.

its only on Points, so always do door/throw stuns and executions for maximum points. Stun+Execution is like 1600 points, normal melee kill is only 400 points.

Mr.Ock

only has to do with your score, which is based on everything at the end of the level.

its only on Points, so always do door/throw stuns and executions for maximum points. Stun+Execution is like 1600 points, normal melee kill is only 400 points.

Thanks for the heads up. Was pretty obvious but I just wanted to be sure

Fucking SCEE. Tempted to head to London and reenact the game for real in their office.

First PSN game I've looked forward to for a while and they've botched it. Can't buy it from either the web store or the PS3 store and I don't have a Vita (for shame).

Useless shits.

Wow, that's shitty man :( ... it doesn't even make sense

magawolaz

Useless shits.
Yeah, I lost faith in SCE
E
store team. Bunch of monkeys

the controls feel a lot better on Vita than they do on PS3. :/ I'm dying a lot less....the fuck. I'm loving the game though it's great little title to have on the plat.

Sickbean

Useless shits.

Cock and Balls.

Much as I hated the evolution of the 360 dash (enough to sell my 360), I don't ever remember having any trouble buying stuff on it.

Jawmuncher

Just bought it. Was going to wait for a price drop but remembered I bought the PC version for 5 dollars. Thought i'd make it even and buy this at full price.
Game is so much fun even 10 bucks feels like robbery sometimes.

Feindflug

Useless shits.

Same issue here even after 2-3 tries turning off my PS3-rebooting the router and I still can't buy the game...I guess I'll try again tomorrow. :/

MercuryLS

Banned
I've been getting the trophy notifications in game, but I don't see the game in my trophy section in the XMB. Anyone else have this happen to them?

This game is a bit bugged, had it crash twice, enemies walking through walls, enemies not reacting to gunshots while their comrades get blasted next to them. Needs a patch.

Man, playing Hotline Miami on the Vita is pretty damn fun. I think the Vita controls good for the game, although I kind of do prefer the Keyboard + Mouse. It's definitely making my subway rides a lot more fun, especially with the headphones on.

Raziel

I've been getting the trophy notifications in game, but I don't see the game in my trophy section in the XMB. Anyone else have this happen to them?

This game is a bit bugged, had it crash twice, enemies walking through walls, enemies not reacting to gunshots while their comrades get blasted next to them. Needs a patch.

Yeah, that's another thing I dislike, it's difficult to get a handle on which enemies will be alerted to gunfire relative to my position. It seems like sometimes enemies in a closed off room won't hear, and at other times every enemy on the map will start rushing me. Annoying because it hinders play style, I just always melee or throw weapons just to be safe.

Between that, the enemies sometimes going through walls as you mentioned, and the finicky lock on, a lot of the time it just seems like an exercise in complete randomness. I get the whole recklessness/don't be discouraged by dying dynamic, but I feel like I get by more on luck/fumbling through than by getting better. I don't know, maybe in a way it all makes more authentic, like it really is a bugged out, crude, and amateurishly coded 8/16 bit game. I'll probably come back to this game, but in general, I'm disappointed by the restart happy/trial and error style of the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh my god Chapter 10 is stopping me cold.

Yeah, that's another thing I dislike, it's difficult to get a handle on which enemies will be alerted to gunfire relative to my position. It seems like sometimes enemies in a closed off room won't hear, and at other times every enemy on the map will start rushing me. Annoying because it hinders play style, I just always melee or throw weapons just to be safe.

Between that, the enemies sometimes going through walls as you mentioned, and the finicky lock on, a lot of the time it just seems like an exercise in complete randomness. I get the whole recklessness/don't be discouraged by dying dynamic, but I feel like I get by more on luck/fumbling through than by getting better. I don't know, maybe in a way it all makes more authentic, like it really is a bugged out, crude, and amateurishly coded 8/16 bit game. I'll probably come back to this game, but in general, I'm disappointed by the restart happy/trial and error style of the game.

The game isn't really random, at least I haven't had issues with it bugging out. The only thing I've had trouble with is your complaint about the gun noise triggering enemies at random and when dying/restarting the spawn placement of enemies isn't set like it was the previous 9/10 times.

Otherwise I've been able to progress pretty well.

nampad

That
hospital
level is so incredible annoying. It's like everything I hate cramped into one level. Cinematic slow walk with shitty controls and no checkpoints...
Until that, the game was a bliss.

That
hospital
level is so incredible annoying. It's like everything I hate cramped into one level. Cinematic slow walk with shitty controls and no checkpoints...
Until that, the game was a bliss.
There are checkpoints... but yes, that level does suck the first time around when you don't know where to go/what to do. Same for the boss fights, really.

MercuryLS

Banned
I can't get past level 10 on PS3...it keeps freezing up on me just as I complete the stage and use the stairs. So frustrating, I'm going to delete and redownload.

Kind of getting dangerously close to throwing my Vita at the wall.
How do I beat the motorcycle helmet boss fight guy? No matter what I do he seems to close the gap on me and kill me.

cyborg009

Banned
How do I beat the motorcycle helmet boss fight guy? No matter what I do he seems to close the gap on me and kill me.

Do a little shake on him then go to the opposite direction.

WOW
The chapter where cops show up is freaking difficult. But somehow I manage to slip by without killing a single cop..

ThisOne

Any tips for how to find puzzle pieces? What do they look like?

Also, what does it mean when my cursor has a 'P' next to it?

Grab the golf club and kite him. He will eventually throw his weapon. Hit him with the golf club. He will pick up his weapon again, repeat the same pattern. The second time you hit him he's done.

Edgeward

I've had no issues with the controls. Feels about the same as on PC.

Cleared chapter 10 and 11, shit has some intense sections. Especially chapter 10, holy cow there is a shit ton of guys. I thought I did so well getting 80k but I only got a C for it. =(

So now I'm officially further then where I was on PC.

But fuck chapter 12, I didn't sign up for any of that shit.

Edgeward

I also accidentally skipped the story section because I pressed the left bumper during a dialogue so I thought I could just restart chap 12, but it turns out it's part of chapter 11 so I would need to beat that again just to see it. =(

Off to youtube before I continue further

pa22word

Dragged myself through 11. Despite guns being incredibly unreliable, the game is still so much fun. Also...ugh the touch lock in this game drives me insane. Who thought it was a good idea to map look and lock on to the same function, while at the same time making the touchbox on locking on so damned small? Like half the time I try to touch-lock the camera jerks and spins instead of locking on...and I die >_>

Why can't we have the look function mapped to the rear pad? It'd be a lot more convenient while at the same time eliminating the issue of false camera drags on attempted lock ons.

What's your issue with them? It plays identical to the PC version with a controller with the addition of touch aiming.

Yes, it does play identical...and that's the problem. It plays identical while controlling significantly worse, thus demanding precision from you that you realistically can not achieve due to the shit sticks on the Vita.

Feels about the same as on PC.

No.

I'm sorry, but unless you played with a really shitty mouse (or a gamepad) you're objectively incorrect. The vita sticks are not able to match a mouse on precision, and to be blunt can't even come within a fraction of it, sadly.

Dragged myself through 11. Despite guns being incredibly unreliable, the game is still so much fun. Also...ugh the touch lock in this game drives me insane. Who thought it was a good idea to map look and lock on to the same function, while at the same time making the touchbox on locking on so damned small? Like half the time I try to touch-lock the camera jerks and spins instead of locking on...and I die >_>

Why can't we have the look function mapped to the rear pad? It'd be a lot more convenient while at the same time eliminating the issue of false camera drags on attempted lock ons.

Yes, it does play identical...and that's the problem. It plays identical while controlling significantly worse, thus demanding precision from you that you realistically can not achieve due to the shit sticks on the Vita.

No.

I'm sorry, but unless you played with a really shitty mouse (or a gamepad) you're objectively incorrect. The vita sticks are not able to match a mouse on precision, and to be blunt can't even come within a fraction of it, sadly.

If you're arguing that the controls aren't as good as M/KB... no shit? You were insane to think they would be.

If you're arguing that it controls better on the 360 pad or a third party pad than on the Vita... I disagree. But, opinions - man.

Yeah, thin is one of those situations where it makes zero sense not to use Vita's back touch. Maybe front touch to look and back to lock on.

Soler

Banned
I have it on PC due to humble bundle but I'm gonna double dip because everything is better on vita
How many levels is it?

nampad

I also accidentally skipped the story section because I pressed the left bumper during a dialogue so I thought I could just restart chap 12, but it turns out it's part of chapter 11 so I would need to beat that again just to see it. =(

Off to youtube before I continue further

Are you my evil twin? Exactly the same thing happened to me and I had to replay chapter 11. Also I am really hating chapter 12 right now.

Chesskid1

Banned
just beat it, maybe it took me about 6 hrs? idk hard to keep track.

i'm not really into high score attack, but i'll come back once in a while to unlock the rest of the masks and get the secrets i suppose, and to fulfill my bloodlust. wish it had more content.

great game. $10 is about right, perfect for the vita.

nampad

The endboss...*rage* :(
So hard and I have to skip his stupid lines every time?
Have absolutely no idea how to finish the second (?) stage of the fight, I just die instantly.

Edit: finally...

Top Bottom