• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dragon S2 |OT| Blood for Blood, Fire to Fire (no book discussion)

Like, obnoxiously so. It's across the board as well, at this point chick shows like Bridgerton have more T&A than a testosterone laden action show!

Spartacus....do not disappoint!!!!

Yeah that's been annoying in Hollywood

I do like House of the Dragon but I've been noticing what they have been doing

Any attractive female they cover them

Like it's noticeable and weird

And its funny how they are trying to change what attracts straight men when it comes to women

That Spartacus show is most likely gonna to be tampered with when it comes female nudity and since this is current year will most likely be terrible

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Yeah that's been annoying in Hollywood

I do like House of the Dragon but I've been noticing what they have been doing

Any attractive female they cover them

Like it's noticeable and weird

And its funny how they are trying to change what attracts straight men when it comes to women

That Spartacus show is most likely gonna to be tampered with when it comes female nudity and since this is current year will most likely be terrible
HotD is a psyop to make you gay. lmao.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Based on the amount of people here and elsewhere who just want all back to back action, I think that the pacing of old GoT wouldn’t hold up with today’s audiences.
Remember, old GoT had "sexposition". Plus it had tyrion, little finger, Joffrey, drogo, and elegant. Waaaaay more interesting characters than what we are getting on HotD. Most of HotD is like just episodes of Sansa mooning over some knight.

If they are not gonna lean into the awesomeness of aemond and daemon flying around on giant dragons fucking shit up, what are they doing???

Nonehxc

This last episode, while not being bad per se, it's all kinds of Sarkeesian Sarcoma. I like my shows free of lessons, please. 😄

giphy.gif
Give little psycho Bro a chance to run things!!! Unleash the Patch!

Plus it had tyrion, little finger, Joffrey, drogo, and elegant. Waaaaay more interesting characters than what we are getting on HotD.
And it took time to build them up. HBO shows tend to be that way. The Wire is one of my favorite HBO shows of all time, but it moved extremely slow for almost 2.5 to 3 seasons as it builded up the world and characters brick by brick. By the time the viewer reached the payoffs of that show they felt like they knew each character’s name and motivations almost by heart.

Reactions: Gp1
I started S2 yesterday and...fuck if I remember anything from S1.
The only things I DO remember are the psycho knight (that apparently is fucking the Queen now), Eye patch Dante, Black dudes with white rasta and...someone with a dragon killing the other Queen's son during an aerial fight.

Methinks I'll have to rewatch S1 again - something which I'm not looking forward to ffs

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I enjoyed the episode. Lots of little plots having movement now that were pretty boring / stalled out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Episode 5:

A very preachy episode with a hamfisted feminist handling of male and female power dynamics, so out of place for GoT.

*Bro is sad that his wife got roasted.* “She wasn’t just a possession that you lost, she was a Targaryen princess! She had agency!”

Daemon being lectured about morality by the witch.

The commoner wife lecturing her husband about their situation in King’s Landing.

Along with Alicent and Rhaenyra facing pushback for being female leaders, handled reasonably but still has a compounding effect with the rest. The scene where Alicent has an anxiety attack and zones out after being shoved aside was well done though.

The brilliant ratcheting of tension from the first season is gone, replaced by Game of Thrones: The Lifetime Special.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
The scene where Alicent has an anxiety attack and zones out after being shoved aside was well done though.
Yeah I liked that moment a lot. Interesting concept, well acted and well shot. No complaints there.

I think my biggest problem is how theyre handling the Daemon story. The whole reason they ditched Leanor was because Rhynera needed someone stronger. But the moment shit goes down, they fight and he flies off to Dark Souls to hallucinate and mope. Hes effectively sidelined, but they feel the need to keep showing him. Itd be better to give him no screen time, and just come back to him when there is something for him to do.

I dont hate S2, but yeah S1 was brilliant. This feels like theyre spinning the wheels a little bit. Afraid to just open the gates and let everything go to hell. Season 1 ended off with such a powdered keg moment, and here it feels like they done nothing but deescalate when they should he ramping up. For this sort of story to work, you need basically everyone to be excited for the war ajd its opportunitoes, so that they can learn the true horrors that result. Here it seems like only like two people want the war. And everyone is scared.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Yeah I liked that moment a lot. Interesting concept, well acted and well shot. No complaints there.

I think my biggest problem is how theyre handling the Daemon story. The whole reason they ditched Leanor was because Rhynera needed someone stronger. But the moment shit goes down, they fight and he flies off to Dark Souls to hallucinate and mope. Hes effectively sidelined, but they feel the need to keep showing him. Itd be better to give him no screen time, and just come back to him when there is something for him to do.

I like how they're taking their time to show Daemon trying and as of yet failing to raise an army to claim the throne for himself, while fleshing him out beyond arrogant mustache twirler - all while exploring more possibly supernatural aspects of the world. I think it would have been stale to either keep him around doing the same thing he did all of the first season, or have him in a bunch of budget-draining battles. And it definitely would have been a waste to simply ignore him IMO.

Edit: by the way, I am really enjoying the weekly companion docuseries House of the Dragon: The House that Dragons Built. That setup they built for the dragon rides looks fun. It also kind of makes me wish I had gone into a career in production. Or at least did various jobs within it for a few years.

Last edited:
yeah it's getting tiring that they need to keep shoehorning the "omg women make good decisions but are being oppressed" angle. At the same time both Rhaenyra and Alicent have been making lots of bad choices this season. In this episode we see her argue with the council that she should be fighting. Yeah there's a reason why head of state don't fight in the front lines. Look at Aegon. Meanwhile, Alicent is facing the consequences of all her bad decisions, like sleeping with Cole, and working with Larys.

With the way they are teasing about finding new dragon riders at the end, I'm guessing this includes some of the new characters that debuted this season? Why else would they get screen time? One of them had already bragged about being a bastard. The question is why they would even join this civil war. These are all common folks, not some high nobility.

Horatius

Episode 5:

A very preachy episode with a hamfisted feminist handling of male and female power dynamics, so out of place for GoT.

*Bro is sad that his wife got roasted.* “She wasn’t just a possession that you lost, she was a Targaryen princess! She had agency!”

The commoner wife lecturing her husband about their situation in King’s Landing.

Along with Alicent and Rhaenyra facing pushback for being female leaders, handled reasonably but still has a compounding effect with the rest. The scene where Alicent has an anxiety attack and zones out after being shoved aside was well done though.

The brilliant ratcheting of tension from the first season is gone, replaced by Game of Thrones: The Lifetime Special.

The difference between the two seasons is so jarring.

I was skeptical after GoT Season 8, but ended up loving the first season, mostly due to the brilliant performances of Millie Allcock and Paddy Considine. They carried the show, and besides the constant references to 'winter is coming', I was hooked.

So I went into this second season with a feeling of optimism and excitement. The reviews were good, the cast is mostly the same, how can this possibly turn out bad?

And here I am, barely able to stay awake during these slow, boring ass episodes, uninterested in these poorly written dialog scenes, cringing at the quality of the writing, unable to root for anyone since every character is unlikable.

On the one hand, wanting this show to be longer, with more episodes, so we can actually flesh out these various random characters they keep introducing, so I can get invested, but on the other hand, just wanting it all to be over.

I sincerely hope that HBO makes some sweeping changes after this season is over, because viewers are not going to stick around this way.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The other showrunner leaving because his smash piece couldn't get a producer credit or whatever REALLY damaged this show. He was clearly the talent between the two of them.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
The other showrunner leaving because his smash piece couldn't get a producer credit or whatever REALLY damaged this show. He was clearly the talent between the two of them.

Ya but who works some place and says pay my romantic partner because I work for you. What a weird thing to expect out of a company. I am sure it happens all the time, I remember Carrie Fisher saying her daughter needs a speaking role in SW, and they gave it to her. That way she gets residuals.

kikkis

I thought the issue was nepotism over role. Which is bit gray issue since for instance isn't selecting actor some kind of preference anyways? And not even remotely objective. Paddy was selected without test screening unlike most actors in show.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Damn, it is a big loss. Condal doesn't have a good sense of dynamic drive or momentum and is far too eager to indulge in "womansplaining".

The lack of David Nutter directed episodes is apparent as well, that guy was instrumental in getting the actors to really understand their characters and i think a lot of the S2 issues could have been cleared up with his help. He wouldn't have Rhaenyra bouncing back and forth so much nor Alicent seeming so surprised that "wow, you mean I gotta FIGHT to keep my kids on the throne??".

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Episode 5:

Yep. The quality drop off from the first season is shocking. This has the feel of season 7 of game of thrones. Netflix quality writing at best.

Urban

what happened between S1 and S2? Its completly different and the "female empowerment" message is all over the place.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Anyway, episode 6 coming up in a couple hours. Ep 5 did not really set up any bombastic events directly, but we’re in the home stretch already.

jason10mm

Gold Member
jeeeessssuuuuuussssss kkaaaayyyyrrriiisssttttt, get on with it!

At least we got some hot les action, at this point I'll take anything :p

I take it Alyn shaves his head to hide his white hair?

Paddy elevated his scenes. I can't believe they teased Queen Aemmas actress coming back just to lie there :p

I did enjoy Alicents absolute indignant revulsion at the very thought that she might marry someone to help her son's cause, how DARE she have to put in work! :p

How long does Matt Smith work per ep? A day, 2? Best gig EVER! Show up on set, wander around a bit, sit for a quick council, then back to the trailer for the rest of the week :p

Which dragon is at the Eyrie? One for Rhaena to claim? The little one hanging out there must have just hatched, Joffrey should have a larger dragon for himself.

I'm curious if folks would really buy that food sent in, by the very folks blockading your city, is a good thing? Probably. Aemond on Vaghar really should torch them ships, seems odd that they don't address this.

BadBurger

Ewan Mitchell plays this villain so damned well.

what happened between S1 and S2? Its completly different and the "female empowerment" message is all over the place.

I don't think things are radically different from how HBO/Max/the writers have always dealt with women characters - going back over a decade now:

"I spent my life in foreign lands. So many men have tried to kill me, I don't remember all their names. I have been sold like a broodmare. I've been chained and betrayed, raped and defiled. Do you know what kept me standing through all those years in exile? Faith. Not in any gods. Not in myths and legends.

In myself.

In Daenerys Targaryen. The world hadn't seen a dragon in centuries until my children were born. The Dothraki hadn't crossed the sea. Any sea. They did for me. I was born to rule the Seven Kingdoms, and I will."

- Daenerys Targaryen

And since this isn't a book spoiler thread I won't go further, but it's playing pretend to act like this series hasn't always featured regularly acknowledged strong women.

Edit: as an aside I am digging this Hamlet like Daemon arc

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I actually thought this episode was pretty strong. Felt like quite a few things moved forward. Only weak point was the Daemon stuff, but having Viscerys back was nice

Urban

Ewan Mitchell plays this villain so damned well.

I don't think things are radically different from how HBO/Max/the writers have always dealt with women characters - going back over a decade now:

"I spent my life in foreign lands. So many men have tried to kill me, I don't remember all their names. I have been sold like a broodmare. I've been chained and betrayed, raped and defiled. Do you know what kept me standing through all those years in exile? Faith. Not in any gods. Not in myths and legends.

In myself.

In Daenerys Targaryen. The world hadn't seen a dragon in centuries until my children were born. The Dothraki hadn't crossed the sea. Any sea. They did for me. I was born to rule the Seven Kingdoms, and I will."

- Daenerys Targaryen

And since this isn't a book spoiler thread I won't go further, but it's playing pretend to act like this series hasn't always featured regularly acknowledged strong women.

Edit: as an aside I am digging this Hamlet like Daemon arc
I think I might have expressed myself incorrectly. It's not about the fact that there are strong women in the GoT universe and that they have power. In the current season, they mainly serve a lecturing function and are portrayed that way. In the current season, it feels like the women are the only ones thinking logically, and if the men would listen to them, everything wouldn't be so bad. I haven't noticed this in any other season of GoT or HotD.

BadBurger

I think I might have expressed myself incorrectly. It's not about the fact that there are strong women in the GoT universe and that they have power. In the current season, they mainly serve a lecturing function and are portrayed that way. In the current season, it feels like the women are the only ones thinking logically, and if the men would listen to them, everything wouldn't be so bad. I haven't noticed this in any other season of GoT or HotD.

I'm personally not seeing anything different. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
This post feels like bait, but in an attempt to help frame things differently, what if you looked at it from the perspective of the experienced vs the inexperienced rather than men v women?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Episode 6:

House of the Drag-On

I’ll see it though since it’s almost over, but not expecting to bother with S3 at this rate. It really has turned into a daytime soap opera. People are standing around lecturing or expositing their entire backstory at each other. Writing quality and production values have nosedived. No tension, no propulsion. It’s a struggle to finish each episode.

Daemon is totally emasculated now too, sobbing over a dream, impotently yelling at people instead of taking heads, moping around. The witch subplot doesn’t work.

Such a disappointment.

Episode 6:

Daemon is totally emasculated now too, sobbing over a dream, impotently yelling at people instead of taking heads, moping around. The witch subplot doesn’t work.
This is a ridiculous take.
Daemon was emasculated from the beginning of the series. The entire point of his arc is that he keeps running away from his emotions, and chooses instead to lash out. He's only "strong" in the sense that he's violent, cruel and capricious - with a few nice one liners thrown in. He groomed his niece.
But at his core, he's always been a sulking, sullen man who craved attention and approval from his brother. This was pretty much established in the first two episodes of season 1.
Now he's been forced to look within himself, cause you can't fight dreams. You can't fight guilt. You can't fight your emotions. He's also learning that you can't bully and murder your way to victory. Sobbing over a dream, and experiencing some fucking emotion over the guilt he must feel over what he's put his own family through is now emasculating? What the fuck do you mean?

Unless of course, all you wanted from Daemon was a cool badass dragon man who flies around and kills people.

This doesn't make any sense, considering that Aemond has been one of the most tactically astute people in the show. He and Criston Cole would have executed their plan successfully, had Aegon not let his wounded pride get the better of him. Daemon was correct about needing to take and hold Harrenhal and win favour with the Riverlords. Both Rhaenyra and Alicent, despite being the central protagonists of the show, are shown to make some pretty fucking critical blunders. Not least of which is Alicent's own parenting, which is she herself is calling into question now that Aegon has been broken, and Aemond has abandoned her. Most of the men in the series are pretty much correct on their courses of action. However, the show isn't about being correct - its about a succession crisis involving a female candidate - naturally, how they feel at court, and how the powerful men treat the women in power is going to play a major part in the proceedings. Success and failures alike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom