• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did we all adjust to losing color association to PlayStation action buttons so easily?

Cyberpunkd

It seems like removing the colors after so long would have caused a disconnect but it didn't.

Knowing the colors of the action buttons worked pretty good for Sports games back in the day .

Did any of you have trouble adjusting?
Wait, what do you m....

shocked kristen bell GIF by The Good Place

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
It seems like removing the colors after so long would have caused a disconnect but it didn't.
The layout and the symbols were already iconic by that point. I don't remember having any issues adjusting, especially since I spent a lot of time playing Final Fantasy games on PS1 and PS2 lol.

Also, now Sony can sell us a "Special Edition Colour Symbol Edition" controller. So..........

Vick

Gold Member
Was jarring the very moment it was announced, after so many years. But now I've noticed it's jarring and a little cheap-looking for me seeing QTE and button icons in PS4 version of games I'm used to play on the new console.

Mr Moose

It was never about the colors, it was about the shapes. You never told anyone to press blue.
Press blue to JASON.
Color correlation for the face buttons.

Dualsense doesn't do that.

yAobK0w.png

This might be the first O onQ123 thread that actually makes sense :messenger_grinning_sweat:
0cb60bf8513ea96fc1ca93409dbd678e_w200.gif

I hadn't even noticed.
Is that why I like the 30th anniversary one so much?
DualSense-30-Hero-1

Last edited:
I always associated the buttons with their shape far more than their color, so didn't really miss their abscene. The controller does look worse without the colors, but not really a big deal in the long run, imo.

onQ123

... You mean ON the controller?

Are you looking at the controller to remember what button is what?
You don't look down at the controller but the colors were embedded in your mind so when you see the color on screen you knew what button to hit.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's fair to say that I never really cared for it

The QTE in God of War are kinda nice, but Ascension basically put on the filter of the game and I guess that every game can do that

Eh

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You don't look down at the controller but the colors were embedded in your mind so when you see the color on screen you knew what button to hit.

This will be true of newcomers actually, good point - just the way you framed the question, I thought, I haven't forgotten what colour each one is just because I bought a PS5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I miss em but it's really the shapes that make the differences. To this day, I get messed up when I switch between Xbox and Nintendo games but I never have that problem with PlayStation games. It's so iconic that I use mods on PC to change all layout to PS buttons if possible.

Bond007

To be honest i dont recall having to remember colors. Just shapes.
I dunno or maybe my memory is shot - but i been playing since PSX/PS1.

If anything, the adjustment of O to X for the main input was more jarring to me. A good change imo though

LordOfChaos

Who's looking at the controller anymore? The holy shit realizations about this just further point to this

It's just a natural extension of your body that interfaces with the game at this point, Like someone might not know exactly where the X key is even though they've typed all their life but give them a keyboard and they can hit it every time

rm082e

I use an Xbox controller on PC and also play on PS. The only issue I ever have brain wise with my controllers is when a PS game shows a prompt for "X", I will sometimes hit the square button. I usually do it a few times before I yell at my brain enough that it adjusts and associates "X" with "A".

Why did they even change that? I know the US version of the SNES controller didn't have the colored buttons either, so it's been a thing for decades. do they think it makes the controller looks childish? To me, the colors don't detract from the controller's design or aesthetics, but it is helpful to newer players. This trend needs to end.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I’ve been splitting my time between Xbox and PS controllers for close to 20 years, so I have all of their buttons mapped in my head. I associate PS buttons with shapes and Xbox buttons with colors.

Shakka43

Most games still used the color based shapes so it is just the physical controller that lost the colors. The new classic dualsense/Edge look awesome though and the colored shapes are a good reason why.

Aenima

Knowing the colors of the action buttons worked pretty good for Sports games back in the day .

Did any of you have trouble adjusting?
I just memorized where each symbol is in the controler a long time ago so the colors of the buttons just helped to identify faster what symbol it was but not its position. And since i dont look at the controler when i play, it was never an issue.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
It stopped mattering when we moved on from QTE. That said, any prompt that doesn't adopt the switch model of showing which button must pressed is inferior.

I adjusted instantaneously, there were plenty of games that didn’t use the colors in the games UI before the physical change.

Are you saying you look down at your controller every single time you need to press a button? Were the shapes not enough?

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't look at my controller when I'm playing and at least on playstation the symbols have always been more relevant than the colors.
Unlike the console itself I actually like the look of the Dualsense.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I'm still trying to figure how how and when I switched to preferring Controller over Mouse and Keyboard. It just sorta happened somwhere along the way.

Nonehxc

Oh why oh why didn't they just use this color scheme as default.

I don't like bright white controllers / consoles, they're massive dirt magnets.
So are dark controllers/consoles. Only one thing is that being white is more prone to show how many shit you smear with your hands or touch with your hands every time you play. Which in turn is more hygienic since if you're a normal person, you won't want your controller smeared with brown 🟤 grease, skin cells, dust and all kinds of shit.

Tl;dr pick a goddamn cleaning agent and a dishcloth and clean your filth, Adam 😬

Miles708

The fucking circle and the fucking square being the same fucking button on quick inputs.

Losing colour coding was dumb and unnecessary. The Apple-like "mental clinic" design philosophy still doing massive amounts of damage.

JimboJones

It is interesting that their portables never had the colours.
But it does seem to be a trend in the industry to remove the colours.
Even Microsoft who are the only ones left using them often release controllers without them.

Wonko_C

I have always messed up with colors on every controller I've ever used, it's easier for me to remember them from position and letters/symbols. It's why I have no trouble switching between the Dreamcast/Xbox button layout and the Nintendo Layout, which are basically reversed.

Top Bottom