• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did we all adjust to losing color association to PlayStation action buttons so easily?

ricares81

Neo Member
The layout and the symbols were already iconic by that point. I don't remember having any issues adjusting, especially since I spent a lot of time playing Final Fantasy games on PS1 and PS2 lol.

Also, now Sony can sell us a "Special Edition Colour Symbol Edition" controller. So..........
Geez thanks, Somewhere out there someone prob just said “write that down”!
Well tbf, technically the 30th anniversary controller has that already.

Last edited:
It's always been the icons more than the colours for me, same with Xbox, Dreamcast etc controllers too. The bigger discussion is whether one is in the X or Cross camp.

FlaffySheeby

Neo Member
Genuinely have been begging for Playstation button input prompts for Steam, anytime it's available it just looks so much cleaner than the letter A. I fully understand why PC only gets Xbox prompts, but hey a man can dream I suppose.

Now that we have the greyscale buttons, all the prompts on PS5 merge a bit in my brain. And plus, if you've going fast you might miss an input or mistake a circle for a square at quick glance.

Idk, not a huge fan of it but nothing we do will be able to change it now xd

GymWolf

Gold Member
wait what? Colors on buttons are gone?

boom-mind-blown.gif

Lunarorbit

Color correlation for the face buttons.

Dualsense doesn't do that.

yAobK0w.png

This might be the first O onQ123 thread that actually makes sense :messenger_grinning_sweat:
When the anniversary edition came out I kinda realized the colors on the buttons were gone but it didn't really sink in.

Probably like alot of videogame players the buttons are just second nature to my fingers and brain and it's not a conscious decision anymore of what to press.

Guess the button swap is like road hypnosis

onQ123

They probably removed it so they can bring it back as a feature on PS6 controller but the colors will be dynamic lighting up on the controller.

2 way interaction.

When I'm playing games I never really looked at the controller. I have to know where the buttons are without looking so it was easy to adjust because I never really looked.

Muffdraul

Really minor issue, but if it were up to me the icons would always be in the traditional colors. The physical buttons, the on-screen prompt icons, everything.

DeepSpace5D

There was no adjustment needed, but I was never a fan of it ever since the Dualsense was revealed. I always loved the colored face buttons, and looking at the 30th anniversary Dualsense, it looks so much better with the colored buttons.

Edmund

I'm a Sony pony and I didn't even notice that the colours got removed lol. I just pick up my dualsense and play games.

May I know which gen did the colours get removed? Was it the ps4 or ps5 gen?

Last edited:
Top Bottom