• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Much Does Gaming With Your Friends Cost You?

I know there are a lot of people that refuse to game unless it's done socially. But at what cost?

Back in the day, I grifted off my friend's couches for like a decade before establishing my own gaming set up.

It was chill.

Last edited:
In the last four months, my buds bought me Stellar Blade, FF7R, Black Myth Wukong, SMT V Vengeance, and Rise of the Ronin.

Not only did it cost zero money, but gaming with buddies actually saved my quite some money.

In the last four months, my buds bought me Stellar Blade, FF7R, Black Myth Wukong, SMT V Vengeance, and Rise of the Ronin.

Not only did it cost zero money, but gaming with buddies actually saved my quite some money.
Yeah, I would have totally missed 7th generation consoles without friends.

Wild how that dynamic happens.

Last edited:

Crayon

I'm the only one who will gift games so we can play something multiplayer but only deep discount stuff. Ive been meaning to get some keys for nfs hot pursuit. luckily everyone has a pc so that makes things cheaper/easier.

The always want to play free fps because it's convenient but fuck that. Bores me to tears. Costs like a round of beers to buy 4-5 keys of something that gets cheap.

rm082e

It can't cost you anything if you don't have any friends to begin with.

hm-hmm.gif

poodaddy

I don't have friends, but I have a wife and daughter who are gamers.

It's quite expensive to keep my daughter's gaming set up current and nice, to the extent I've pretty much just stopped using my own.

Fbh

Gold Member
Honestly I'm mostly the one pestering my friends to pick up random games for us to play together lol. So I'm probably the one costing them money.

Love them but they are the type of people who are like
"$15 for a game we'll play for like 80+ hours? Idk, I have to think about it because this is apparently some life altering financial decision and I don't know my budget can handle it"
"$15 like twice a week to get some shitty fast food burger with soggy fries that I'll eat in 5 minutes delivered because I don't feel like cooking something simple? Absolutely!"

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have a friend I often play with online with and we gift each other games from time to time. She bought me a copy of Suicide Squad because she was really excited to play it. Too bad about that. I bought her a copy of Tekken 8. We also play Mario Kart and NES/SNES via Switch online. I probably spend a couple hundred bucks a year including online subscriptions.

Sleepwalker

There's a friend who lets me gameshare with him and he pretty much buys every big release lol. I still get em sometimes because I prefer discs but its nice.

I have bought plenty games for my friends when I want to play something multiplayer and they don't have the means to. Sharing is caring.

The only people I seem to game with regularly these days are my younger brother and some online friends and occasionally the missus. It seems mine and my real life friends tastes in games has drifted apart since leaving school 20 years ago so we basically never get into any regular gaming sessions.

Doesn't cost anything now. Before we were divided because most of them owned the 360, and I had a ps3. They were playing COD, I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2. They were watching DVDs, I was watching Spiderman on Blueray.

I mostly stopped doing the whole "I guess I'll buy this game since 4 of my friends bought it" a few years ago. Almost everyone has families, full time jobs, and other things they have to do to where just getting everyone together is maybe a once every two weeks thing.

Thankfully my core friend group that I play with have similar tastes, so I've never spent too much on multiplayer games I wasn't already planning on playing or didn't already own.

Starting brand new Elden Ring characters to take into Shadow of the Erdtree for the first time with friends was legendary.

Top Bottom