• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Should Tifa Be Handled In Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

The issue isn't that she has big breasts, but that her breasts are fucking absurdly huge watermelons in the original game's CG. Her outfit is fine as long as everything is actually scaled to make her look like a real human.

In a game with flying airships, magic, summons and an attack that involves a meteor, it's her big rack that's unrealistic. LOL. GAF has weird people. PEACE.

Its becoming almost a trope now in the "gaming community"

Big Tits are bad. Make em flat people! Realism

anaron

LMAO still glorious after all these years.

Knowing Nomura post-AC this will probably devolve into a 30 second CG fight scene with backflips and way too many quick-cuts. Someone might even end up running around/under the canon, SMG-style.
LOL this accuracy.

I just pray they don't pull that Dissidia boob jiggle shit.

I've always found many Tifa fans to be annoying with their obsession on her breasts. Like, at the least OP I've seen you actually like positive qualities about her and not focus on her awful sexualized appearance. I have other reasons for disliking Tifa but man the fans are a big reason.

As for design, I say keep her original appearance but fix up her clothing.
What about the fans?

Everyone is being civil, as far as I can see. What is the issue? We can't like her character design because its "sexualized"?

Is it not possible to like her not just because of her design, but everything about her overall? Why are the fans a problem?

For those who feel like her original design should remain untouched, a quick reminder:

- Her legs are about 2/3s of her entire body
- At their thickest point, her arms are still skinner than her ankles
- Each breast is nearly the size of her head
- Her thighs are wider than her waist
- That skirt is extraordinarily impractical for kickboxing, just sayin'...

Now, it's a good design, but I think it's pretty clear that it needs to be updated to fit more with the remake. The trailer seems to indicate that they're going for a more realistic aesthetic, and this is clearly not a realistic design.

It is comically exaggerated which is a bit different from disproportionate. But yeah they should not and will not be 100% faithful to the original art.

HeelPower

Her depictions since FF7 have all been excellent and balanced : CC,Dissidia,AC,KH Tifa are all good.

So there's little reason to worry.

I'll handle her. I got this guys don't worry. Just leave her to me...alone...in a hotel room..where I can handle her....yeah

And then there's this.

tiiTWtt.gif

Gbraga

I truly believe that just making things cool would solve any possible issue. Or at least what I would consider to be cool.

G-bike Barret is cool as shit, big boobs are fine, but that CG animation is dumb, AC Tifa and G-bike Tifa are cool as shit.

That fanart is amazing, but I can't really think of her as Tifa, looks more like Korra to me. It's probably my favorite, if we're only judging the designs as if they were random character designs, but also the one I'm least likely to associate with Tifa, so I'm not so sure about it.

Zolo

Man there's gonna be a new thread about FF7 every day now.

I'm surprised the mods haven't made it bannable yet with the way I've seen about at least 2 a day. Still, on the topic, I've felt Square Enix has done well enough with Tifa's design over the years to have faith in this.

Mortemis

Banned
I personally like her AC look the best.

I'm pretty sure they'll at least have alternate costumes, one including her original look.

It's kind of funny, when I see people talking about how you modernize FFVII, it's usually about the brothel scene or Tifa's boobs.

It's never, hey, isn't Barrett kind of a racist depiction based entirely on a fictional 80s action character, how do they fix that

Let's make sure they don't make Tifa's chest size smaller, though

Dat' privilege.

Yeah Barrett's is kinda a problem, though I don't have a problem with how he looks in G-bike. As long as he doesn't get white-washed like Advent Children.

LMAO still glorious after all these years.

Knowing Nomura post-AC this will probably devolve into a 30 second CG fight scene with backflips and way too many quick-cuts. Someone might even end up running around/under the canon, SMG-style.

That would actually be a grand improvement though. Hope they do that.

Wazzy

Banned
What about the fans?

Everyone is being civil, as far as I can see. What is the issue? We can't like her character design because its "sexualized"?

Is it not possible to like her not just because of her design, but everything about her overall? Why are the fans a problem?
I'm not saying all Tifa fans are bad. What I notice is that many Tifa fans focus on her breasts more than her actual character and that is annoying. In the many remake threads, her breasts are constantly brought up.

Prototype

For those who feel like her original design should remain untouched, a quick reminder:

- Her legs are about 2/3s of her entire body
- At their thickest point, her arms are still skinner than her ankles
- Each breast is nearly the size of her head
- Her thighs are wider than her waist
- That skirt is extraordinarily impractical for kickboxing, just sayin'...

Now, it's a good design, but I think it's pretty clear that it needs to be updated to fit more with the remake. The trailer seems to indicate that they're going for a more realistic aesthetic, and this is clearly not a realistic design.

Oh God. It's an animated picture. It's not trying to be realistic. You putting realistic standards to it is a huge fallacy.

Big boobs is not sexist. Plenty of women are top heavy. I can understand taking issue with presentation of her features, be it by camera angles or outfits, but the boobs themselves are not the issue.

Personally I'd prefer an OG inspired outfit, but it doesn't need to be extremely revealing or anything. I'm not a fan of the AC outfit but it's not because of decreased assets, it's just boring.

muteki

What they appear to have done with Barret and Cloud is keep the original (or similar) outfits but with more realistic proportions. Hopefully Tifa and the rest of the cast are treated the same.

CHC

Not to be crass but you can't mess with her big boobs. Like Barrett's big muscles, it's just part of her look. Maybe it was made in a less politcally era, maybe not - either way, it's just how she looks.

OfficerZap

Neo Member
Eh, the last render looked workable.

Some women are a bigger on top than others. That shouldn't be shameful or seen as "bad".

I think people do focus on the obvious physical characteristics of this game, though, and not the underlying (and overt) homophobia and racism, which is much more important than the size of someone's breasts.

Should those aspects also be modified or updated to fit current audiences and current sensibilities?

I hate to be absolutist, but I think if you're going to complain about one aspect, you have to complain about them all. The tone, attitudes, and designs of the time were "wrong", or they weren't.

Now, whether or not we should update classic works of art in any medium to reflect contemporary values is wider discussion (aka: the "Tom Sawyer" argument). I don't believe we should, but you can slightly refine without modifying.

It's kind of funny, when I see people talking about how you modernize FFVII, it's usually about the brothel scene or Tifa's boobs.

It's never, hey, isn't Barrett kind of a racist depiction based entirely on a fictional 80s action character, how do they fix that

Let's make sure they don't make Tifa's chest size smaller, though
Can we PLEASE leave Barret alone?

I'm surprised the mods haven't made it bannable yet with the way I've seen about at least 2 a day. Still, on the topic, I've felt Square Enix has done well enough with Tifa's design over the years to have faith in this.

I know the Caith Sith one was locked because they said there did not need to be a thread for every FF7 remake question. Maybe an OT needs to be made for discussion of FF7 development.

Find a balance between AC and FFVII and make a design based on that, otherwise she's fine, I mean seriously her boob size shouldn't offend people that's beyond trival.

All they have to do is stick to one simple standard, make her boobs bigger than all the other girls. She just needs to have big boobs in relative terms and no one will complain. She won't have massive bazookas and she'll still be noticeably bigger to all the people who care.

Plus one for Advent Children look, but I will play regardless. The shots we do have of Barret and Cloud look to be fairly realistic, so I think they will lean that way anyway

I know the Caith Sith one was locked because they said there did not need to be a thread for every FF7 remake question. Maybe an OT needs to be made for discussion of FF7 development.

People have discussed this very subject in the FF7 remake thread. Basically every character or story beat has been discussed in there and the possibility of what may be changed in the remake.

Kuroyume

Banned
Why are you prejudice against big tits? Somehow big tits (within the context of gaming) have become associated with wrongness. It's the only medium where I see these complaints.

I find it hilarious that people think women in games should only look a certain way as if every female has to be homogenized to look a certain way. We're getting to the point where females in games are starting to get their own "bald space marine" look. If she didn't have huge tits in the original game I'd like her to not have huge tit's in the new game. But seeing as how her tits were huge then I'd like to see her tits huge again. It wasn't a "CG problem." Aerith's tits weren't as huge in the game so that shows it was a design choice not a "CG problem."

Btw, in the grand scheme of things... Do I really care? No. But, just for the sake of argument.

Draxyle

Neo Member
I'm always amazed by the AC design. I don't think I've ever seen a developer actually tone down sexuality with a redesign of anything; it's almost always the other way around (especially in recent years).

I don't think they need to give "remake Tifa" her AC design, but I wouldn't complain.

Out of all the things to discuss about this remake, this is what we're going with...ok.

I hope they don't listen to fans and do whatever they want. Most people won't care anyways so there really is no reason to address this.

And honestly - big breasts are something a lot of normal AND fictional people have. Just deal with it.

Oh God. It's an animated picture. It's not trying to be realistic. You putting realistic standards to it is a huge fallacy.

That's exactly his point. The old design was stylized, the new one won't be. So Tifa's giant breasts aren't necessarily something that has to be translated one-to-one.

Not to be crass but you can't mess with her big boobs. Like Barrett's big muscles, it's just part of her look. Maybe it was made in a less politcally era, maybe not - either way, it's just how she looks.

Yes, Barrett has big muscles. But I guarantee you he won't have these exact proportions in the remake:

Ff7-barret.png

His muscles are as cartoonishly exaggerated as Tifa's breasts. I expect both to be toned down in the product we get.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Why are you prejudice against big tits? Somehow big tits (within the context of gaming) have become associated with wrongness. It's the only medium where I see these complaints.
Not that this has anything to do with whether it's right or wrong or ok or not, but it's probably because in video games, the characters are being designed from the ground up, where in most mediums, they're either being portrayed by an actor or are up to the reader's imagination to a certain degree.

I guess artwork is the exception, but once you cross into the world of respected art that's comparable to movies or books or games in terms of how socially prolific it is... this becomes less of an issue, I would imagine.

Skilletor

No.
FF7 was very campy.
It had its serious moments, but it had it funny moments as well.

Your campy is my stupid. It's ridiculous that one of the best martial artists in the world gets involved in a slap fight. You know what would have been funny? Scarlet slapping Tifa and the Tifa knocking her out with a dolphin blow.

Yes, Barrett has big muscles. But I guarantee you he won't have these exact proportions in the remake:

Ff7-barret.png

His muscles are as cartoonishly exaggerated as Tifa's breasts. I expect both to be toned down in the product we get.

For the longest time, before I found out he had a machine gun hand, I thought he had just an extremely miss-happen robot hand. With short fingers.

I'm not saying all Tifa fans are bad. What I notice is that many Tifa fans focus on her breasts more than her actual character and that is annoying. In the many remake threads, her breasts are constantly brought up.
Its brought up both ways.

It sucks because its all anyone first brings up. Not how freakishly strong, fast and agile she is, or how she manages to survive high level Mako exposure, which most Soldier couldn't handle, without harmful side effects. No, its always her breasts. Most times, like OP sparked in the announcement thread, about augmentation. Its ridiculous.

If you grew up with this series, you are an adult now. Her breasts have been there for decades. Why is it still a problem? When can we talk about Tifa punching and shaking an entire building without focusing on her breasts? The only people sexualizing her are those saying they are a problem when they never, ever have been.

And she didn't get a reduction in AC, she is wearing compression gear.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Out of all the things to discuss about this remake, this is what we're going with...ok.

I hope they don't listen to fans and do whatever they want. Most people won't care anyways so there really is no reason to address this.

Basically. I'm sure they know what they are doing.

I'm sure there are plenty of things we could discuss about the game other than Tifa's mammory glands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom