• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely got hungry quite quickly because I stressed about finding food and my spawn area was super hilly with no wildlife. But maybe it was a lot less than usual. Maybe they should translate your movement into however many steps it'd take based on distance teleported (and jumping up) and take that off your hunger.

TBH though after a little while in minecraft hunger shouldn't really be a problem, even if you're forced to eat shitty bread because there is nothing else around.

You get hungry in Minecraft now?

I haven't played it in years.

Did anyone in the UK have to specifically call their bank about an upcoming Vive charge on their account? I just got the payment processing mail and am wondering if it is worth it to just wait and see if my bank contacts me about the payment.

I used a credit card.

Yep, and they weren't concerned about the charge. They don't pre-authorise anything, if there are any concerns they'll contact me by phone to verify.

It's not gone yet, but yep, received the email earlier. Ordered March 31st.

Now that my Vive shipping is imminent, I have been looking at mounting options. one of my Lighthouses will be at 6.5' on a bookshelf. I am thinking about this for the other:

Amazon basics 60" tripod paired with this Ball swivel mount

Think that would work even though it is only at 60"?

That swivel head is what worries me. I don't think it will point down. The vive screw thread is on the back of the lighthouse if I remember correctly. I was going to get 7 ft tall tripods. It was 2 for $23 for the tripods and I was going to use pole clamps to make sure I can angle them down.

wonderpug

Neo Member
You should be able to tilt as far down as 90 degrees with that ball mount.

e0IAl1o.png

You should be able to go down by 45 degrees or so anywhere, and that little notch is to let you go down further to a full 90 degree tilt.

With tripods like that one, be sure to take advantage of the hook on the bottom:
enjgVRB.png

Photographers hang sandbags or even weight plates from that hook to keep the tripod more steady, and I imagine that'd also be beneficial for making sure your Lighthouses stay still.

Compsiox

Banned
That swivel head is what worries me. I don't think it will point down. The vive screw thread is on the back of the lighthouse if I remember correctly. I was going to get 7 ft tall tripods. It was 2 for $23 for the tripods and I was going to use pole clamps to make sure I can angle them down.

check the OP for best solution

check the OP for best solution

I can't use those poles because the ceiling height in my house is too high. Even in my office I have over 9ft ceilings. I have three rooms that I want to be able to use the vive in and they all over vaulted ceilings leaving me to more of a tripod setup so I can move them around.

Onemic

I can't use those poles because the ceiling height in my house is too high. Even in my office I have over 9ft ceilings. I have three rooms that I want to be able to use the vive in and they all over vaulted ceilings leaving me to more of a tripod setup so I can move them around.

There's an 81-152 inch version of it as well

e0IAl1o.png

You should be able to go down by 45 degrees or so anywhere, and that little notch is to let you go down further to a full 90 degree tilt.

With tripods like that one, be sure to take advantage of the hook on the bottom:
enjgVRB.png

Photographers hang sandbags or even weight plates from that hook to keep the tripod more steady, and I imagine that'd also be beneficial for making sure your Lighthouses stay still.

There is one and the back and also one on the bottom.

Between these two quotes, I have all the info I was wondering about them. I can use the one set of two tripods with those attachments and the thread on the bottom of the vive lighthouse to angle it down.

This is what I was thinking http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001WB02Z4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1VX81NO6JK4ES&coliid=I2ZCK7GFWYJ7ZU&psc=1

wwm0nkey

started this late saturday night/early sunday morning:

PvvVKbF.png

My pew pew now shoots at the correct angle

jrWxPGe.png

Teleport ball trajectory works now

sBib21B.png

Teleport ball itself

Next up, finish the GE map.

Any good tutorials out there for Vive in UE4? Currently working on a project using the Vive Toolkit in Unity but it it's just as easy in UE4 I will switch.

viveks86

well on the plus side, the vive controllers have barely any buttons. Assuming they at least keep a trigger and track pad/analogue stick per hand, the other main difference would be relative orientation of sensors to the hand, which could probably be handled by drivers anyway to correct for that.

I have a feeling that some of the features of Touch would be adopted in the next gen version, like finger sensing and better ergonomics. If the controller is shaped differently and if the sensors are reoriented at driver level, the 1:1 in-game model of the controller would stop making sense and would end up being immersion breaking. Devs will have to update that one way or the other.

Krejlooc

Banned
Any good tutorials out there for Vive in UE4? Currently working on a project using the Vive Toolkit in Unity but it it's just as easy in UE4 I will switch.

No, not really, and actually the little Unreal documentation they've put out is out of date too. You just kind of have to feel it out.

Tain

No, not really, and actually the little Unreal documentation they've put out is out of date too. You just kind of have to feel it out.

The last I saw (some video on Epic's YT channel), you do little more than add a SteamVR Controller Component to a pawn. Is that the outdated way?

Krejlooc

Banned
The last I saw (some video on Epic's YT channel), you do little more than add a SteamVR Controller Component to a pawn. Is that the outdated way?

I haven't watched any of their videos, but that's about it for tracking motion controllers. You need two controller components, one per hand, and a steam chaperone component.

It's also not really apparent, but you need to bind a mesh to your motion controller components too, otherwise you won't see them.

e0IAl1o.png

enjgVRB.png

Thanks for the thoughts. I will check around and make sure those will stay steady.

I wish I could use the extended ceiling poles, but my ceilings are around 20 ft in that room. Its a library that opens to the second floor from above.

Evo X

Does Alien Isolation work with the Vive?

I remember there was some hacked VR implementation with the Oculus DK2 back when it released.

libertytoast

Neo Member
Does Alien Isolation work with the Vive?

I remember there was some hacked VR implementation with the Oculus DK2 back when it released.

Currently the best way to run it is VorpX, which isn't available for the Vive yet. It was originally made to work by changing a few lines in the .ini, but that was for the DK2, so it wouldn't work with the Vive.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Im in a similar situation as you since I have an R9 270. Pascal is slated to come out in about a months time so I'm just gonna wait.

I think I should do that too just so I can compare and contrast once Pascal is officially out. Even though I got the pre-order authorization e-mail, I'm not anticipating seeing Vive on my doorstep for at least a few weeks anyway

Calen

There are tripod mounts on both the back side and the bottom of the lighthouses, if it helps.

TheRed

They can reslot orders back into where they were originally. It'd be something they'd have to manually do though, so you wouldn't just cancel and reorder on your own without having a CSR in the loop.

They said it was possible to do, but they couldn't switch it to paypal like I wanted to if anyone else is curious about that.

Salamande

I got HoloBall last night, only intending to try it out a bit before bed. Ended up playing that thing for an hour. It's a surprisingly engaging game, at the right price. Don't sleep on it.

UnrealEck

Has anyone tried Project Cars in Vive yet? How is it? Is it fully functional? How's the clarity and quality? How does it compare to Rift CV1?

I've been seeing people saying games in Vive have frame rate issues and it's really jarring compared to Rift. Anyone with both headsets noticed this?

Sky Chief

Negative sir.

These are exciting times. The Vive's only been out for three weeks and the early software is already so much more compelling than anything I have seen in years. It makes traditional gaming and entertainment seem quaint. I can't wait to see what is in the pipeline.

Onemic

These are exciting times. The Vive's only been out for three weeks and the early software is already so much more compelling than anything I have seen in years. It makes traditional gaming and entertainment seem quaint. I can't wait to see what is in the pipeline.

Are there games you constantly go back to or are most of the stuff just one and done type of experiences?

Is there a list of compatible games? And more specifically a list of games made for VR and then a list of games that added support? Also, what are the chances someone makes GTA V compatible ?

Compsiox

Banned

Zalusithix

They said it was possible to do, but they couldn't switch it to paypal like I wanted to if anyone else is curious about that.

Well, that's an odd exception. I could have sworn there was something they could do for for people with declined cards back in wave 1 that had to migrate to Paypal. Perhaps the payment has to fail first for that to become available. Or perhaps things have just changed since then.

Kysen

Just got a mail from HTC, bank declined lol. Natwest sent me a text to auto confirm and I got my card working within 15min. Had to go to the card details page and resubmit the payment.

Onemic

Is there a list of compatible games? And more specifically a list of games made for VR and then a list of games that added support? Also, what are the chances someone makes GTA V compatible ?

GTAV is compatible with Vorpx I think, but you have to wait for Vorpx Vive support

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
A few days ago someone posted a link to a free Vive visual novel thing... does anyone still have that link?

So my debit card has a $1200 limit per purchase from what I found out, I'm in the clear right? Would I really need to call and specifically say what/who will be taking like $880 out of my account soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom